home

Author Topic: Empire of Wolves - W-E Campaign. Registration now open!  (Read 30616 times)

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
Empire of Wolves - W-E Campaign. Registration now open!
« on: January 13, 2013, 11:44:19 AM »
*Announcement*

Here is the fluff for the background. Map and forums to follow when formatted.

http://www.wikihost.org/w/empireofwolves

The fourth warhammer-empire.com campaign

It is the imperial year 2217 and Sigmar's Empire is divided against itself, as it has been for more than eight hundred years. Hostile emperors rule in Middenheim, Altdorf, Talabheim, and Marienburg.

For sixteen years the Empire of Middenland has been ruled by Empress Duccia: murderer, reformer, tyrant. Now she is dead, and a successor to the wolf-throne of Ulric must be chosen at midwinter.

In all of the divided Empire, only the Emperor of Middenland is still chosen by election. Yet the election is a peculiar game of brutality and bribery that seems more like civil war, as the strongest lords of Middenland compete to demonstrate which of them is the most powerful, the most able to rule.

These lords assemble their mercenary armies and prepare to do battle for the support of their lesser peers. When the election comes one of them must be emperor, or Middenland will fall to its many enemies. Each of them is convinced of his absolute right to the throne. Each will take any risk, pay any price, kill anyone who stands in their way.

The wolves howl and winter closes in.

Empire of Wolves starts February 2013

The political system in the Empire of Middenland in 2217: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=37698.msg589471#msg589471

Timeline: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=37698.msg589480#msg589480

Campaign army list: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36888.0

A history of The Empire: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=37698.msg589522#msg589522

Rough campaign map: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=37698.msg589474#msg589474

Frequently asked questions: coming soon!

« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 08:46:04 PM by Mogsam »
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
Re: Empire of Wolves - W-E Campaign. Launch.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 11:44:42 AM »
Only two years later than scheduled it is time to announce our plan to run the 4th W-E online Roleplaying campaign.

Join your patron in battling for votes to earn the Wolf Throne of Middenland during the turbulent times in the Empires history.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 11:46:43 AM by Mogsam »

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
Re: Empire of Wolves - W-E Campaign. Launch.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 11:45:18 AM »
Oh don't tease us!
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
Re: Empire of Wolves - W-E Campaign. February Planned Launch
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 11:47:27 AM »
We're actually going to do it this time!

I learnt photoshop for banners and everything!

We put a date on it to make it happen.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 12:05:24 PM by Mogsam »

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 12:04:14 PM »
Yes, we definitely mean it now!

The new banner proves it!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 03:27:40 PM »
Sweet, this is going to be good!
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 05:55:29 PM »
Need to know more.... NOW!!!!  :ph34r:

Hmm... were there any forerunners to the historical hussites? Maybe this can be the birth of my farmer rebel army. Pissed of Drakwalders.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 06:10:09 PM »
Even if it does happen this February, with such short notice and how much else is going on, not even sure I could participate.

But perhaps its better to cross that bridge, if it shows up on the road. :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 06:35:23 PM »
You've had two years notice!

It's going to happen. What held it up in the first place was the lack of a techy and we have resolved that issue with some external help. Now it's full steam ahead!

Hmm... were there any forerunners to the historical hussites? Maybe this can be the birth of my farmer rebel army. Pissed of Drakwalders.

It's a civil war amongst the nobility! The farmers probably know better!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 06:44:48 PM by Mogsam »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 07:05:56 PM »
You've had two years notice!
Oh please, more like two minutes.  Calling a spade a spade here.  Besides, some of us have lives out beyond waiting for EoW. :icon_wink:

It's going to happen. What held it up in the first place was the lack of a techy and we have resolved that issue with some external help. Now it's full steam ahead!
Ok, believe when I see it.

Quote from: Mogsam

It's a civil war amongst the nobility! The farmers probably know better!
Sounds more like the Wars of the Roses.  Besides, its the middle of the winter, and the farmers are all probably nestled all snug in their beds, visions of sugar plums dancing in there heads.  Oh they probably occasionally get out to the barn to feed the animals, maybe even play with the sheep, but beyond that, its snowing.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 07:54:38 PM »
How do these online Campaigns work anyway?  :| I've never participated before but it sounds pretty fun  :::cheers:::
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 08:38:54 PM »
Get lost! In the wintertime there is no harvest to collect. Doh! Who is then able to do other things?

You do know that wintertime was not an end to war season, as it is sometimes portrayed in litterature. That is utter rubbish! Well, maybe soft continental and english could not fight during wintertime but in Scandinavia and in Russia winter war was very fashionable. For example, during the Great Russian war between Sweden-Finland and Russia between 1554-1557 the russian launched a major invasion during the winter in 1555. An army of maybe up to 12000 soldiers crossed the finnish border and took the finnish defenders somewhat by suprise. A small force of regulars, no more than little over 100 men but well stocked with firearms moved into a blocking position to try and delay the russians further advance.

So why fight during the winter? Well, if supplies get harder to come by, mobility increases. Yes, increases. In those days roads were usually crap anyway, so in summer the waterways were the main routes of travel. But during wintertime, lakes, bogs and all other wetland turned from watery to solid. And the snow meant that men using skis, snowshoes, sledges and such could travel much further and faster than in summertime. This enabled long-range strike missions, hitting deep into enemy territory and the wars in Scandinavia during the winters during the medieval period and into the 17th century saw winters were chevausees criss-crossed the borders, trying to strike the enemy economy hard and sometimes to catch the enemy chevausees.
If you are used to winter and prepared, wintertime enables warfare just as much as it might hamper it. One reason for Sweden finally wresting the southern landscapes from Denmark was due to willingness and ability to fight during wintertime and also knowing how to use winter as your ally. Karl X Gustavs crossing of the straits in the midwinter of 1658 moving from Jutland, over Fyn and then onto Zeeland took the danes by total suprise. The ice lay thick and the danish navy could do nothing against the swedish army crossing over from the continent having made peace with Poland and thereby freeing itself to fight Swedens arch enemy.

However, the russian invasion of Finland in 1555 was rather large for the age and season, showing they had bigger plans than a mere Chevausee. There were many months before the seas opened and reinforcement could be sent to Finland from Sweden proper. All that stood in their way was about 100 soldiers, dug in but still a mere hundred against several thousands. The russian general raised a toast in mockery of his foe and launched a hasty attack to sweep aside the resistance with brute force so as not to get bogged down. But then he was struck unexpectedly from a flank. About 500 finnish farmers and peasants had been able to answer the summoning to muster and now they struck the drawn out russian column from the side. They used skis, which most of the russians did not, so they were swifter and more mobile. And they all packed crossbows and bow. By firing accurate volleys from behind cover and then relocate they not only made it hard for the russians to come up with a response, they also made themselves seem a much larger force than they really were.
At the same time, the small force of soldiers opened up with anything they had, pouring hot lead into the front of the russian column.

Believing they were being attacked in the flank by a large finnish force, the russian army panicked and fled. About 600 russians perished from wounds or because they were trampeled in the panicked rout.

On other occasions, farmers formed their own companies and got independent missions, usually patrolling borders, ambushing enemy units and make deep raids into enemy territory.
In both Denmark and Sweden, it was usually very expensive to keep mercenaries on warfoot throughout the winter, and since most mercenaries were soft continentals, they would not do it unless they got a hefty pay. So in order to bolster their own native regular forces, the farmer levies were vital to maintain a military presence and to both be able to have a guard against enemy raids and enough numbers to launch your own.

Also, nordic farmers, AND german farmers, were far more political beings than you give them credit for! During the historical age that the Empire is based on, farmer uprisings were both larger and sometimes rather succesful. So now the nobles bicker. Some nobles will, in order to bolster their own meagre forces (honestly, how many regiments of state troops do you think the run to the mill Middenland noble really have access too? Not many. The bulk of men he can call out to war IS his tenant farmers and those freemen living in his area that he have a good relation with.

In the swedish 15th and 16th centuries, a period with many wars, most of them civil wars in one form or the other, just like the War of the Roses nobles would try and get at least his "own" farmers with him. And more often than not, the local farmers supported their local noble, regardless of wether they were tenants or freemen.

So do not come and tell me the hardy and frostbitten men of Middenland are any different. The closest historical setting is not England or Germany but Scandinavia and Russia, and hell, did the farmers there know how to fight! A new Emperor being elected? Well, maybe they can finally get someone who will approve of farmers rights, or maybe one that will ease the tax pressure.

Anyway, during winter there is not much work that can be done, bar keeping war, feeding your stock and doing some forestry. It is infact the perfect time to pick down the axe and crossbow from the wall, put on the kettlehat and gather your kin and neighbours. There is a local sheriff who sits there, isolated in his manor and counting money. He has much to answer for. Now time has come to meet out some local justice, farmer style...

"Faxahus ligga i Svartom Brandom!"

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 08:43:05 PM »
The farmers and local nobles of the Drakwald have their own agenda this winter. No GM will convince me the Empire farmers are downtrodden bretonnian serfs or bellyscratching Hobbits. They are just as politically aware as their historical counterparts became during the age, and just as aware of the ability they had to affect their own destiny.

Lets just say this. By your snide replys and mockery of farmer badassery you have brought it upon yourselves. No there will be no holding back. It is farmer militia time.  :ph34r:

Now, as my "present day" farmer rebels are followers of Luthor Huss and therefore hussites, I need a historical predecessor for the historical hussites. Ah, Peter Waldo. There we go...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 09:03:04 PM by Mathi Alfblut »

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 09:04:12 PM »
How do these online Campaigns work anyway?  :| I've never participated before but it sounds pretty fun  :::cheers:::

Generally you play games or write fluff and use them as battle reports for factions.  There's background and a map in which said factions fight it out.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline theorox

• Members
Empire of Wolves - W-E Campaign. February Planned Launch
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 09:07:48 PM »
This is very cool. The armylist (based on the Treachery and Greed list?) is awesome. I hope you guys have a great time.

And I hope Warhammer Forge brings out an awesome Mercenary armylist like this one at some point. Imagine the awesome models!

Theo

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 09:36:45 PM »
Get lost! In the wintertime there is no harvest to collect. Doh! Who is then able to do other things?
Doesn't change the idea that this is suppose to be a civil war between nobles.  Suppose the farmers can fight for some of the nobles, or they can be smart enough to stay home and make babies, or whatever.

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 09:50:20 PM »
Say the farmers want a specific noble elected who treats them quite well and sends a certain amount of "pork" down the political ladder to them?  :wink:
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 10:19:53 PM »
The war is in winter because Ulric demands that elections are held at midwinter!

If people die they are obviously unworthy.
If I wanted to.

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 10:24:27 PM »
In fairness there's nothing wrong with farmers fighting for a noble for better rights, better privileges or because he told them too!

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 10:28:59 PM »
Thanks Mogsie, I knew I could count on you.  :::cheers:::

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 10:57:48 PM »
The armylist (based on the Treachery and Greed list?) is awesome.

Thanks!

One advantage to the enormous delay we had on this campaign is that the army list has actually been playtested a fair bit!
If I wanted to.

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 10:58:34 PM »
That said no one with the power to be elected would give them the time of day so your main character should probably be a minor noble representing them. Like those guys who led that walk from Yorkshire to London to tell Henry the VIII that his advisers were rubbish but he was great. Then he killed them all.

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 12:36:40 AM »
Awwww. Looks like I will have to fight for Stattenland's rights as you didn't put me on the map... Wait, maybe that is because Lucius Contyre stole and altered the maps from Middenheim in the 18th century  :icon_cool:
I get it now... *wink wink*
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline Grumbaki

• Members
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 06:25:56 AM »
That said no one with the power to be elected would give them the time of day so your main character should probably be a minor noble representing them. Like those guys who led that walk from Yorkshire to London to tell Henry the VIII that his advisers were rubbish but he was great. Then he killed them all.

Or in this case, an ogre mercenary who is being fed. Because if there is one thing that we've all learned, is that if you want to collect taxes in Sylvania, you hire ogres to do the job. And if you want to get elected and someone's ears aren't working, you send an ogre to talk to them.

((Which in those cases is someone without too many men, so the ogre can actually get within arm's reach. And who is pretty easy to find, otherwise the brute will just get himself lost...))
Treachery and Greed: Golden Company
Empire of Wolves: Urenbach

Two campaigns. Two factions. Both prove that you can lose a campaign horribly and still have a great time. Behold, the power of RPing!

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 07:00:38 AM »
Some ogres will certainly play their part in my army.

But my main character will be a minor noble and kind of a local hero. His name will probably be Engelbrecht or Jens Ulfstand.