home

Author Topic: GP's Heth's Initial Attack, Gettysburg, July 1st, 1863 ...  (Read 8641 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
GP's Heth's Initial Attack, Gettysburg, July 1st, 1863 ...
« on: March 14, 2013, 01:42:33 PM »
This past weekend's activity included cutting the foam for Herr Ridge, MacPherson's Ridge (w/ a railroad cut), and Seminary Ridge where Shead's Woods is located.  A coating of glue has been applied to all the foam terrain as the next step before base coating with paint.  This will be followed up with more glue and flock, the latter likely summer in color.

Looking to have MacPherson's barn and 2 buildings on the Chambersburg Pike, if possible.  I've got 6 trees, but will probably buy or make 6 to 12 more, and these will be enough to cover MacPherson's, Shead's, and Springs Hotel Woods.  Also, want to come up with some roads, likely 2" wide, a thin stream for Willoughby Run, and some fences for the Chambersburg Pike and Hagerstown Road.

Borrowed my sister's camera for this shot ...

On the left is to MacPherson's Ridge, which in its current position in this picture is looking north to south.  The railroad cut is the space between the long piece of foam and the small oblong hill below it.

In the upper right corner of the photo, and to the back, are the two pieces being used for Seminary Ridge, which will be in the north east corner of the playing area, and where Shead's Woods is located.  Just to its right is the small piece that will form the other side of opening of the railroad cut in Seminary Ridge. The other two half ridge pieces below that will form Herr Ridge, and this is the spot where Pegram's artillery will be on the west side of the board.

The small round hill might be used in the far north west corner, but it was an extra piece of foam, and might instead just be used for Barlow's Knoll if I decide to do that area of the battle field at some point.  Also, I'm planning to cut the MacPherson's ridge piece into four parts (it's 40 inches long!) to be able to use them modularly, and eventually make some other pieces that will help round off the parts for other games along the way.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 02:03:01 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
Re: GP's Heth's Initial Attack, Gettysburg, July 1st, 1863 ...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 02:46:31 PM »
You doing this for 6mm or 10mm scale figs? Seems like the terrain is very small for any other scale.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 02:18:46 AM »
The scenario being used is by Potomac Publications.  However, it seems to be more about the base size and the relationship to the rules being used, rather than the scale of the figures.

We're actually using 25/28mm on 40mm x 40mm bases.  The rules this time are "They Couldn't Hit An Elephant" in which each base represents approx. 100 men, and since none of the regiments in this engagement had no more than 600 men (6 bases), most being in the 250 to 400 range (3 or 4 bases), this means we don't encounter the length of the firing unit being incompatible with the firing ranges, like we would if the units were 900 or 1000 men (9 or 10 bases), as was the case earlier in the war.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 01:06:29 PM »
My apology for not having updated this sooner.

These photos are from the game GP GMed at Huzzah! 2013.  Its a historical military miniature convention, although there are some mini tourneys with FoW, BA, and Impetus as well as a couple of others.  This was the 4th year of the event, I've been to each one, and this time it had more miniature games, more board games, and more vendors than ever before.

The game represents some of the opening action on Day 1 of the Battle of Gettysburg, July 1st 1863 ...

This pictures shows MacPherson's ridge dominating the center of play.  The rise on the left with the Confederate artillery is Herr Ridge, the woods just below it are the Springs Hotel Woods.  MacPherson's Woods are in the center of the middle ridge and off on the upper right is Oak Ridge with Shead's Woods on top.  The Unions are on the left, Confederates on the right.  Davis' rebel brigade is in the upper left, Archer's the lower right.  For the Unions, Cutlers brigade is in the upper right and in the center of Macpherson's ridge with Bufords dismounted cavalry between the two half and in front of the railroad cut.  Meredith's Iron Brigade is just coming into the fight to the lower right, and more of Buford's cavalry is mounted at the lower/south end of the field.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 02:09:05 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 01:08:35 PM »
And here is a shot looking from the north end of the map to the south end ...

The Confederates are now on the right in this picture, and the Unions are on the left.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 02:03:36 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 01:10:18 PM »
Looking good, GP!
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 01:14:10 PM »
Yep, unfortunately I was so busy GMing during the game I forgot to take more pictures.  Got some other convention pictures that I might put up, including the photo previously mentioned on the Back Table of the unit of SYW Cavalry that I purchased.  I've made quite a significant move in the direction of historicals over the last few years, and suspect it ain't going to fade soon.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 07:58:24 PM »
Lee sucked.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 08:35:19 PM »
Lee sucked.
There are at least two threads about ACW in the Back Table where such negativity can be provided, and fly lines can be cast.  Coincidentally, just pulled up one, and was contemplating pulling up the other.  I still might.  :icon_wink: :icon_lol:

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 08:38:24 PM »
You should.

How are the Elephant rules? Have you tried the Peter Pig ones?

I'm currently just under halfway through a Union army, but 15mm. I do have a brigades worth of Union in 28mm, but that didn't take off.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 09:02:48 PM »
You should.
Oh, I forgot, you being currently under the catagory of "Pure of Heart" can't see the Back Table at the moment.  The first one was created for the 150th anniversary, but it got me a comment about some sort of 'mancy stuff, sounds like some sort of a religion to me.  Anyway, the 150th is half over.  And I just discovered the older one is some 16 pages long!  I hadn't recalled it being so lengthy. Got some rereading to do, whcih might be fun. :icon_eek:

How are the Elephant rules? Have you tried the Peter Pig ones?
"They Couldn't Hit An Elephant" worked out well enough.  Seemed to have a neat set of command and control rules, which is significant enough to make them different than most.  Not familiar with the Peter Pig ones, so can ya clue me in on those?

I'm currently just under halfway through a Union army, but 15mm. I do have a brigades worth of Union in 28mm, but that didn't take off.
Been only doing 25/28mm for the release of "Longstreet" by Sam Mustafa.  He did what seems to be a superb set of 18th century rules called "Maurice", but I haven't played them yet.  The ACW figures so far are Sash & Saber, and some Essex that I got on 50% off.  Planning to pick up some others from companies like 1st Corp & Peter Barber.  Contemplating doing a SYW army in 15mm for "Maurice", yet not sure I'm going tolike that scale.  Ever so slowly working on a WoSS to perhaps use with the same rules.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 09:05:05 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 09:35:16 AM »
I wasn't really keen on 15mm either.

My parents won a box of 15mm ACW and Napoleonics for about £20 (Amusingly I found out it's worth around £400+ when painted up  :roll: ) and gave me them. Box contained a Union army, a Confederate Army, a French Army and a British Army.

So, following that I painted a few up to see how it was, and suddenly:

:icon_rolleyes:

I then won a further 130 figures (including Zouaves and Berdans!) for £13 on ebay, so yeah, I'm stuck now.  :icon_lol:

I think I've played the Peter Pig rules once, and it was quite different from what I'm used to (I'm used to Warmaster/BlackPowder style games for historics). It was 2 years ago so I can't really remember the details!

http://www.peterpig.co.uk/cwb.htm is a summary, apparently!

I shall be looking into Elephant, as a blog I follow use their rules (but modified somewhat) for AWI. As an aside, Peter Pig produce the best range of 15mm AWI ever. Their ACW is pretty good too, but I already have enough models.  :icon_lol:

« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 09:37:57 AM by MrDWhitey »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 04:48:21 PM »
I wasn't really keen on 15mm either.
What advice to you ahve on painting these up?

My parents won a box of 15mm ACW and Napoleonics for about £20 (Amusingly I found out it's worth around £400+ when painted up  :roll: ) and gave me them. Box contained a Union army, a Confederate Army, a French Army and a British Army.

So, following that I painted a few up to see how it was, and suddenly:

:icon_rolleyes:
I like them!  The ragged line approach looks good.  What unit is the one in the front, and what's the deal with the one cannon positoned and pointing at the caisson?

I then won a further 130 figures (including Zouaves and Berdans!) for £13 on ebay, so yeah, I'm stuck now.  :icon_lol:
:icon_lol:  Won them huh?  So you bid not thinking you'd win, and voila!

I think I've played the Peter Pig rules once, and it was quite different from what I'm used to (I'm used to Warmaster/BlackPowder style games for historics). It was 2 years ago so I can't really remember the details!

http://www.peterpig.co.uk/cwb.htm is a summary, apparently!

I shall be looking into Elephant, as a blog I follow use their rules (but modified somewhat) for AWI. As an aside, Peter Pig produce the best range of 15mm AWI ever. Their ACW is pretty good too, but I already have enough models.  :icon_lol:
"They Couldn't Hit An Elephant" is by Too Fat Lardies.  It also has a system for using blinds and spotting, but I skipped using these when it seemed to mean more work for convention preparation, and woudn't seemed to have added much to the scenario anyway.

I'll check out the Peter Pig figures.  I vaguely recall looking at their website once before, but because it was mostly 15mm, I kept moving along at the time.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 06:48:15 PM »
With 15mm, paint them on a piece of wood, I use craft sticks (pretty much ice lolly sticks, but in bulk packs). 6 per stick is a nice amount, then paint them in stages, all the blue first on one side, turn stick around and do other, repeat. Doing them singly isn't advisable.

The ragged line was what PPig suggested, but they're fine with 4 per base too.

The unit at the front is a slightly fanciful unit of US Marines. During summer they were allowed to wear white covers on their heads and they wore white trousers. Whilst I couldn't find much in evidence of them wearing white hats of the same make as normal troops, I also didn't care and wanted to paint one unit different, I also wanted said unit to look more "elite" and firing liney, so there we go.  :closed-eyes:

Of course now I have Zouaves and Berdans...  :engel:

Peter Pig ACW are pretty good, but it's the AWI stuff they shine in. They probably have the best AWI range in 15mm.

Edit: Missed cannon comment, that's just how they're packed in their box.  :engel:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 06:52:53 PM by MrDWhitey »

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 08:13:30 PM »
a Confederate Army
How could you do that to My Great Great Great Great Great Great Grandpa! You monster!  :cry:
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline The Ol Perfesser

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2013, 11:30:39 AM »
Oh Man! That's great. 
Nice looking board.  ACW miniature gaming was my first love.  I have loads of 15 mm figures.  I started with the old Stars and Bars rules & I have the entire Union III Corps (1862) based on that as well as AP Hill's Light Division (also 1862).  Then I switched to Johnny Reb and had to paint even more....so I have enough for a union and confederate division based on those rules.  Here are just a few... :roll:

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 03:41:54 PM by Midaski »
Never make predictions, especially about the future.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 06:41:27 PM »
With 15mm, paint them on a piece of wood, I use craft sticks (pretty much ice lolly sticks, but in bulk packs). 6 per stick is a nice amount, then paint them in stages, all the blue first on one side, turn stick around and do other, repeat. Doing them singly isn't advisable.
This does seem wise.  I've even started doing 28mm this way, but on small wooden stick, not the balsa ones, but whatever the other style wood is that often gets sold along side the balsa stuff.

The ragged line was what PPig suggested, but they're fine with 4 per base too.
I'm doing my Iron Brigade as 4 to a base.  Their troops were evidently well trained by Gen. John Gibbon when he began commanding the brigade, according to my reading.  I'll probably have some regiments 4 to a base, and perhaps others with a mix, but we'll see.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
Oh Man! That's great. 
Nice looking board.  ACW miniature gaming was my first love.  I have loads of 15 mm figures.  I started with the old Stars and Bars rules & I have the entire Union III Corps (1862) based on that as well as AP Hill's Light Division (also 1862).  Then I switched to Johnny Reb and had to paint even more....so I have enough for a union and confederate division based on those rules.  Here are just a few... :roll:
Sounds wonderful!  I like how you have your bases all named.  I'm going to be using my bases for various regiments, so not sure if I'll name them or not yet.  Might set up some sort of a way to use a magnetic name tag on the back or something.  I've been using rules that don't need that, but I can see value to doing the name tags as well, particularly if I do some gaming at some point with the Carnage and Glory computerized rules set, which I'd like to try GMing with, since I enjoyed them from a players perspective.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 01:01:35 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2013, 08:10:51 PM »
What I would do in the case of name tags, is to purchase some triangular balsa. Cut it into short strips and then glue on a printed card with the details on it.

http://www.balsacentral.com/shop/balsa-triangle-gusset/ <- this stuff

I'd probably have it standing like an L rather than ^ , and have the name on the slope.

I would probably end up prettying up the balsa with painting, but I'm also quite lazy.

Offline The Ol Perfesser

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2013, 10:00:54 PM »
What I would do in the case of name tags, is to purchase some triangular balsa. Cut it into short strips and then glue on a printed card with the details on it.

I'd probably have it standing like an L rather than ^ , and have the name on the slope.

I would probably end up prettying up the balsa with painting, but I'm also quite lazy.

That's a nice idea.  I think it would look pretty good.
I wanted to name all my regiments b/c I was recreating a specific Corps/Division in each army.  I have them boxed by brigades.  I also tried to get close to scale unit size as well, although some of the regiments at that time period were quite worn down (~200 men) and when you build regiments that small, they tend to be very tactically fragile.  :icon_cry:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2013, 10:09:54 PM »

Seems like a neat idea.  A friend of mine uses small magnetic strips on the back of the base, and these can then be used for placing names, casualty, disorder, and/or quality of troops markers.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 10:12:28 PM »
I wanted to name all my regiments b/c I was recreating a specific Corps/Division in each army.  I have them boxed by brigades.  I also tried to get close to scale unit size as well, although some of the regiments at that time period were quite worn down (~200 men) and when you build regiments that small, they tend to be very tactically fragile.  :icon_cry:
Is your 1862 III Corp modeled after the Pennisula, 2nd Manassas, or Fredericksburg campaigns?

Offline The Ol Perfesser

• Members
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2013, 10:21:07 PM »
Is your 1862 III Corp modeled after the Pennisula, 2nd Manassas, or Fredericksburg campaigns?

I chose 2nd Manassas as the period for both the III Corps and AP Hill's Light Division.  I really wanted to have Fightin' Phil Kearny and Joe Hooker as my two Union division commanders.  I even filed off an arm on one my 15 mm generals to make an accurate Kearny figure.   :wink:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
The III Corp for the Army of the Potomac, not Pope's Army of Virginia, and what is the fascination with them and A.P.Hill's "Light Division"?

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2013, 01:36:11 AM »
III Corps was part of the Army of Virginia during 2nd Manassas, if that's your question?  Not sure if it was.  Got detached from McClellan and over to Pope.  McDowell was one of Pope's most trusted lieutenants during that campaign.

As to why those divisions are popular in game, no idea.  I think I discussed with you before, GP, if I ever did any ACW gaming I'd probably model a CSA army off of Jackson's Valley campaign or his Corps at 2nd Manassas.

For Union I don't really know, lots of choices.  Probably would be interested in doing XIV corps which was a western outfit.  I had a ggggrandfather (I think it was that many) who fought with the 18th KY.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 01:38:47 AM by wissenlander »
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...