home

Author Topic: GP's Heth's Initial Attack, Gettysburg, July 1st, 1863 ...  (Read 8636 times)

Offline The Ol Perfesser

• Members
Re: GP's Heth's Initial Attack, Gettysburg, July 1st, 1863 ...
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2013, 01:42:18 AM »
Correct, III Corps Army of the Potomac.

Kearny and Hooker both attacked on day one of 2nd Manassas and they hit AP Hill's Division which was holding the line of a railroad cut.  They came very close to breaking through that day (Longstreet had not yet arrived in force to support Stonewall Jackson).  I've always thought it was a classic "what if" battle.  Two evenly matched forces and an outcome that turned on a dime.

There were some really famous units on both sides.
Dorsey Pender's North Carolinians, Maxcy Gregg's South Carolina brigade, the New York Excelsior Brigade, the Jersey Brigade (which would be shattered at Gettysburg a year later).

Just a really interesting point in time.   
Never make predictions, especially about the future.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2013, 04:03:07 AM »
III Corps was part of the Army of Virginia during 2nd Manassas, if that's your question?  Not sure if it was.  Got detached from McClellan and over to Pope.  McDowell was one of Pope's most trusted lieutenants during that campaign.
If I recall correctly, both the Army of Virginia and the Army of the Potomac had a III Corp at that time.  A bit confusing, yet I could be wrong, too.  Hooker and Kearny were originally part of the Army of the Potomac.  Eventually it all got reorganized.

As to why those divisions are popular in game, no idea.  I think I discussed with you before, GP, if I ever did any ACW gaming I'd probably model a CSA army off of Jackson's Valley campaign or his Corps at 2nd Manassas.
Jackson's Valley Campaign has always been an interest for me as well, and yep, think we've both mentioned that before.

For Union I don't really know, lots of choices.  Probably would be interested in doing XIV corps which was a western outfit.  I had a ggggrandfather (I think it was that many) who fought with the 18th KY.
I'm a bit hodge podge in how I view what might be done with the Unions, but with both armies, there are lots of units that could be used for different regiments, and just having different color bearers or flags to swap out could probably work.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2013, 11:07:32 AM »
If I recall correctly, both the Army of Virginia and the Army of the Potomac had a III Corp at that time.  A bit confusing, yet I could be wrong, too.  Hooker and Kearny were originally part of the Army of the Potomac.  Eventually it all got reorganized.

No, you're correct.  McDowell was an independent command prior to the merge.  I got Heintzelman's command of III Corps Army of the Potomac mixed up with it. They were detached to Army of Virginia.  So yes, it's a bit muddled.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline The Ol Perfesser

• Members
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2013, 11:51:32 AM »
@Wissenlander
I like the idea of modeling armies from the Western theater.  Lots of interesting opportunities there.  If I still had my ACW gaming group, I would definitely start on Hardee's Corps CSA) and Thomas' Corps (USA) at Stones River (1862).
Never make predictions, especially about the future.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2013, 02:17:48 PM »

No, you're correct.  McDowell was an independent command prior to the merge.  I got Heintzelman's command of III Corps Army of the Potomac mixed up with it. They were detached to Army of Virginia.  So yes, it's a bit muddled.
No problem, easy to do with the ACW.  It was a rapidly changing affair, and with the level of detail as high as it is for ACW history, its understandable.

I'm beginning to explore the western and central theaters more.  Recently been considering doing The battle of Mills Springs/Logans Crossing/Fishing Creek in 28mm.  It is another one of those classic ACW battles where two armies bringing more troops into the fight.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2017, 02:14:16 PM »
Seems photo schmucket has caught up with my account.  I have a few photos posted here and there, and found this thread to correct it.

After including the "~original" in the photos posted, between "jpg" and "[/img], they are showing again. :icon_cool:

Midaski ... could you do this for The Ol Perfesser's photos in this thread :icon_question:

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2017, 11:26:25 AM »
GP, do you have a mini that looks striking close to Sam Elliot so you can paint him up to be John Buford

I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2017, 01:21:01 PM »
I haven't found a figure for Buford yet in 28mm, yet have seen him in 60mm (mounted) and 54mm (standing).  Perhaps someone will make him one day.  There's a new company called Raven Banner Games that does ACW and I'm hoping if they get around to doing some cavalry, maybe they'll a Buford figure, but we'll see.

- - -

I haven't added much paint to many of my ACW figures, and need to get back to it soon.  Recently I've purchased both Unions and Confederates in winter dress from Raven Banner Games with the idea of having these for a lesser known battle called Mill Springs in KY.  I also have some Western Unions from Sash and Saber that I plan on having available for this as well.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 03:56:03 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2017, 03:02:04 PM »
Just read thru this thread from the beginning. Finally a couple of pics from your works. If your not careful you might drag me into historical gaming which I’m more knowlagable in Napoleonics. I’ve seen you mention quite a bit of historical models and understand the pain in the butt to post them but I for one would love to see em. 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2017, 04:18:51 PM »
To be fair, the pictures show my scenery effort for that game, but the figures were mostly friends' except for most of the artillery.  I play tested the scenario with a nephew a good number of times, too.

Unfortunately I don't spend enough time painting, and the number of projects in motion is more than probably really sensible.  Also, my phone doesn't take picture, and my picture taking skills with the camera I have is less than reliable.  Plus I need to sort out what might make sense to do to get photos posted here.

Off the top of my head ... projects in process the furthest are 28mm Late Achaemenid Perians including Greek Mercenaries (for Impetus), 40mm Amer. War of Independence (for Light Bobs), and 28mm Wars of the Roses with some European mercenaries (for Day of Battle, Impetus, and Lion Rampant).  The rest of the projects, which is many more than I want to list here ... lol ... aren't any where near what I'd prefer, including my 28mm ACW figures (for Carnage & Glory, Longstreet, and TCHAE).

As for Napoleon era, I've got probably around 8 or 9 dozen 28mm Victrix French infantry, and 28mm Perry French cavalry including 2 boxes of dragoons, 1 of cuirassiers, and 1 of hussars, plus one box of Warlord's Chasseur-a-cheval.  The infantry construction started once upon a time, but beyond that, probably won't touch them for awhile.  The other items listed here are more priority, as are some Romans and Barbarians and WW2 figures as well.  And there are other projects awaiting beyond those.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2017, 04:22:31 PM »
In other words, your hands are full! That’s the fun and frustration of this hobby - so much to do - so much effort -so little time. Your projects are commendable.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2017, 01:41:55 PM »

Like four years later, but I missed this at the time. 

Army of Northern Virginia wasn't reorganized into three corps until after Chancellorsville in May of 1863 (when Jackson died).  Lee thought the army was too big for just two corps (or wings in 1862).  Then he split up Jackson's old command and gave parts to AP Hill and Ewell.

Since this conversation I've found out that I have quite a few ancestors that fought for the confederacy.  Most were cavalry with some major exceptions, but the only real modeling opportunities would be in Longstreet's Corps where the 8th and 9th Virginia's served.

not together.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2017, 03:07:30 PM »
True, regarding the Army of Northern Virginia and it's Third Corp.  Also, my reference was to the two Union armies that had Third Corps during the 2nd Manassas Campaign (McDowell commanding the 3rd with the Army of Virginia and Heintzelman with the Army of the Potomac).

Interesting Wiss that you've got ancestors who fought for the Confederacy.  At Gettysburg, the 8th & 9th Virginia Infantry Regiments were both part of Pickett's Division, the 8th in Garnett's Brigade, and the 9th in Armistead's Brigade.  You can see where these and other regiments were lined up going into the battle on the third day with the map found at this link here ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickett%27s_Charge#/media/File:Pickett%27s-Charge-detail.png
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 03:29:39 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2017, 03:12:28 PM »
Thanks for the link.

My ancestor in the 8th only took part at Ball's Bluff in September October 1861.  His company mustered in the day after 1st Manassas and so didn't take part in that battle with the rest of the regiment.  He was wounded at Ball's Bluff and went AWOL taking no further part in the war that I can tell. 

The one in the 9th I don't have any real information at this time on his military record.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 04:11:34 PM by wissenlander »

not together.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2017, 03:42:32 PM »
Here's a map of the Ball's Bluff battlefield, including the 8th Virginia's presence ...

https://www.civilwar.org/learn/maps/battle-balls-bluff

And yes, the 1st CA is the 1st California Regiment that participated on the Union's side.  Found that to be interesting.

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2017, 05:00:03 PM »
Please guy's you have to stop this, yet another project I started along time ago and never finished. I had the Union army, which was fine until my friend moved away, fine I'll just buy the Johnny Reb's and carry on playing. Got this far.

It also looks like I never bought the commands.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2017, 05:42:52 PM »
And I see the unpainted ones sneaking into the picture to remind everyone they're still there, too. :icon_wink:

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2017, 11:01:59 PM »
Just checked out my "Fire and Fury" book, this battle is one large amount of stands, 95 alone in III Corp, or were you only using Heth's division.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2017, 11:48:53 PM »
It was only Heth's Initial Attack.

Archer and Davis brigades w/Pegram artillery (10 cannon) vs. Gamble & Calef's battery (6 cannon), Meredith and Cutler brigades.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2018, 01:38:18 PM »
My pictures here are gone. :icon_sad:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2018, 04:10:40 PM »
Hmmm ... looks like the pictures are back. :icon_cool:

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2018, 04:48:02 PM »
GP save them to your computer why you can.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2018, 04:53:16 PM »
And start to replace the photobucket pictures one by one. 
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)