home

Author Topic: Cool supply for bases  (Read 467 times)

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
    • View Profile
Cool supply for bases
« on: August 01, 2015, 08:42:21 PM »
I just bought a box of 100 "fender washers" with a 20mm outside diameter from a hardware store for $6. They are steel and about a mm and a half thick. They have a small hole in the center (v. small, really - couple of mm).

These fender washers come in many sizes - you can get ones that are about 25mm easily, too; they were a little more expensive. They are nice and neat, give a pleasing weight to the model, inexpensive, and also magnetic.

Excellent things to base models on for AoS, especially if you are having a smaller base than usual (because the weigh makes the otherwise unstable models more stable).
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Syn Ace

• Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
    • View Profile
Re: Cool supply for bases
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 09:47:47 PM »
I used to add washers to the bottom of my 40K models back when everything was metal. Added stability and I had boxes lined with flexible magnetic sheeting for storage. Just make sure you don't get zinc coated ones if you want to magnetize.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

William Gibson

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 10:42:33 PM »
What's the problem with zinc-coating? Surely the magnets will pull right through a thin zinc coating?

Offline Syn Ace

• Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 10:47:21 PM »
Maybe it was the strength of the magnetic sheeting I used -- but the zinc ones I had didn't stick. This was 20 years ago, so maybe it's improved.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

William Gibson

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 11:17:36 PM »
I can't speak to sheeting - but I just dropped a 1/4" rare earth magnet into the box of washers.

Five minutes of removing washers from each other, I can confirm rare earth magnets stick through 'em :)

Offline Dosiere

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 01:06:20 AM »
Zinc coated shouldn't really do anything, as long as there is iron in the washers themselves.  Once I accidentally bought an aluminum sheet of flashing instead of the galvanized one, wasn't paying attention.  AFTER building my new army box, and cutting an gluing the sheet metal, I realized my mistake.  If there is no label on something, pick up a magnet (there are bound to be some somewhere in the store) and test.  The washer idea for bases is interesting, but I wonder if it wouldn't be TOO strong of a magnetization for my army box.  The glue on your miniatures feet would probably break before the magnet lets go of your base!

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 01:10:03 AM »
Well, I wouldn't insist on it. I think rare-earth might be too much - but magnetic sheet would be good.

I am more interested in the weight, ready-made roundness, and inexpense, to be honest. I mean, 6c a base? That's pretty good.

Offline SoonerSox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 01:18:53 AM »
I'd love to find a company/kickstarter selling round bases with a square indention in the middle so that you could set your square based models inside the round base for AoS but not give up the Square base in case you use the units for 8th ed.