home

Author Topic: Game systems and forum structure  (Read 1051 times)

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
    • My wargaming blog
Game systems and forum structure
« on: February 12, 2016, 11:21:00 AM »
Now that the dust has settled somewhat about our grievances towards the end of our beloved World that was. (Yes mine too)

I would like to start the discussion on how to progress on this board as a community.
Now before I start, I want to add that this is all a thing to be thinking about and if things are moving forward to make this idea I still would suggest to wait till more is revealed about "Free People".

Now why am I suggesting this.
pure and simple: Traffic, more precise: more interaction overall on the site.

My reason is twofold: first I see a low participation on this website (that I have become to love and adore for all it's good things and quirks) and I see an influx of participation on Lustria-online due to the nature of expanding in multiple directions. And I really love to see this forum stay active.

Now I know the feeling and drive behind this board to be a forum for Empire and The Empire is a WarHammer Fantasy Battles faction. And I certainly don't want to break this feeling or infringe on it in anyway. But I think it will be good to have other game systems present also just to get more and new people also involved in what is the greatest faction of WHFB (in my opinion and probably a lot of yours)

Now you all know my deep involvement in the AoS section and my drive to get the most out of it here on this forum and it is here that I now feel that our AoS section is failing short and is not attracting the traffic and participation I would like to see.

I think this is a problem with a) visibility, b) no news about Free People as of yet, c) not reaching new players as they turn to the hobby in general.

Now Lustria online of course have had their release of Seraphon and therefor are already a bit more settled on their path into AoS and with that people have found a home on there for their Seraphon and AoS sympathies (Also the reason why to wait till more is known about Free People). But I also see lot's of work crossover with other gamesystems within their painting blogs/competitions, modeling and fluff competitions all intertwined with each other.

With "problem" c) I see it partially being influenced by a). New people aren't finding there way here because of our low visibility. With Visibility I mean our presence and involvement with other game systems (mostly AoS at this time, but also looking at KoW).
Having more dedicated sub threads going for AoS (and KoW if interest is high enough) will create more visibility and more incentive for people to come in and find information about "Free People" or "Empire of whatsitsname (KoW?)" and "Empire of Sonnsthal (9th)"

So what do I like to see in general:
1) More dedicated subsections per game system with more subforums for specific goals -> General talk, Tactics, Battlereports, Rules(help), Army lists (Yes even for AoS as a lot of people and clubs are using some kind of wounds or points system)
2) Naming convention -> Some rework for google searches to find: 9th Age Empire of Sonnsthal, Free People, What ever we are named in KoW.
# for a working structure I really like how Lustria is set up.

What I like to see personally:
A home for Stormcast Eternals also. There still isn't a website/forum active for them, only a moderate facebook group. They are Human (keyword) and mostly heroes from the humans from the Mortal Realms and together with Free People I think would fit here.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline The Red Graf

• Slava Ukraini, Alba gu brąth!
    • The Red Graf
Re: Game systems and forum structure
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 12:12:00 AM »
I think you've hit the nail on the head. This sight may not be dying, but traffic is way down. I think we need to think of this as a war. We need to insure the survival of the Empire by any means necessary. The best way to do that is to make our mark on other game systems. Frostgrave, Kings of War, Dragon Rampant, Song of Blades and Heroes etc. Also, how about an area for each of the old editions of Warhammer. Certainly the Empire is a big part of Oldhammer and we could and should capture some of that interest.
ultima ratio regum

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
    • My wargaming blog
Re: Game systems and forum structure
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 10:01:40 AM »
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989