home

Author Topic: What literature are you reading?  (Read 15124 times)

Offline Rowsdower

• Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
Re: What literature are you reading?
« Reply #550 on: November 15, 2018, 01:00:45 PM »
I'm often sympathetic to editors who occasionally misspell things as I'm a little bit dyslexic and tend to misspell things A LOT. If it weren't for spellcheck, pretty much everything I type would be incomprehensible nonsense.

Also, for a while I thought Jurgan's name was a sort of play on words for 'Jerkin'. Guess I was wrong

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
« Reply #551 on: November 19, 2018, 03:52:15 AM »
I'm 7 chapters into "For the Emperor" (still noticing some grammatical errors  :icon_wink: ) but I am now getting the distinct impression Cain and Jurgan are basically Blackadder and Baldrick from Blackadder goes forth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGxAYeeyoIc  :engel:
"Find him, bind him, tie him to a pole and break his fingers to splinters. Drag him to a hole until he wakes up, naked, clawing at the ceiling of his grave."- Mother in "The Mariner's Revenge Song" to her son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPAr7kL-

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #552 on: November 19, 2018, 07:05:52 AM »
I'm reading the Kal Jerico novels, to get in the moot for Necromunda 2017.
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, until you ask it.

Offline Rowsdower

• Jesse Cowled
« Reply #553 on: November 19, 2018, 01:22:24 PM »
I'm 7 chapters into "For the Emperor" (still noticing some grammatical errors  :icon_wink: ) but I am now getting the distinct impression Cain and Jurgan are basically Blackadder and Baldrick from Blackadder goes forth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGxAYeeyoIc  :engel:

Funny you should say that. Sandy Mitchell is quoted [somewhere] with saying "Cain is of Blackadder and Jurgen Baldrick"

• His Royal Highness
« Reply #554 on: November 19, 2018, 02:12:19 PM »
To be fair Jurgan did have a cunning plan about dealing with those tau-loving mob in front of the tau compound...and it worked!
"Find him, bind him, tie him to a pole and break his fingers to splinters. Drag him to a hole until he wakes up, naked, clawing at the ceiling of his grave."- Mother in "The Mariner's Revenge Song" to her son.

Offline GamesPoet

• Happy Halloween! : )
« Reply #555 on: November 19, 2018, 02:39:56 PM »
The Mayflower by Nathanial Philbrick

The first part of the book seemed very good overview of the circumstances and story of the Mayflower, very well worth reading.

The second part involved the King Phillip's War, primarily regarding a descendant from the Mayflower voyage Benjamin Church's involvement, although other events covered from a big picture perspective.

The transition between the two seems to leave something to be desired.

I'd say this provides a good general place to start on these topics though, and the first part was very good.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

Offline Il Condottiero

• Crying Havoc since 1992!
« Reply #556 on: November 19, 2018, 03:00:52 PM »
David Eddings' Malloreon.

I've just read the Belgariad and am finishing the first book of the Malloreon, Guardians of the West. It feels a lot more 'adult'-oriented than the previous works, maybe because now we are dealing mostly with an adult protagonist [assuming Garion remains the main character and POV hero.]. All in all, I really like Eddings' works!

I hear the Ellenium and the Tamuli are again a little bit more adult in its themes. I'll have to find out!
Seeee todo este ouro... for MEU!

Offline wissenlander

• The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #557 on: November 20, 2018, 10:45:11 AM »
I finished the most recent Cornwell book in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles called War of the Wolf.  Still good.  Though there are times I wonder if Cornwell accounts as much for Uhtred's age in all of the shenanigans that occur. 

I just picked up a super cheap Kindle version of Anglo Saxons at War (800-1066) by Paul Hill.  Been wanting to read this one for a while.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Gankom

• The World Builder
« Reply #558 on: November 20, 2018, 07:41:49 PM »
I'm waiting for the same book to arrive. Isn't Uhtred in his 50's or something by that point? He's got to be getting pretty old.

Offline wissenlander

• The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #559 on: November 21, 2018, 02:09:57 PM »
Yeah, 50s at least.  I'm picturing him in his 60s, but I could be wrong.  That's a hard life to live.

Edit:  I just found out through some maths that Uhtred was probably born around 857 or so in story.  Aethelflaed's real life death was in 918.  War of the Wolf is after that point, I'm not sure by how much, but that would put Uhtred in his early 60s assuming it was only a couple of years or less.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 02:17:35 PM by wissenlander »
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Finlay

• C'mon Son
« Reply #560 on: November 21, 2018, 03:28:03 PM »
Just finished The Fifth Season by NK Jemisin. Part 1/3 of the trilogy, won the Hugo in 2015 (and parts 2 and 3 won in 2016 and 2017)

I liked it enough to want to finish the series but I didn't love it. The worldbuilding is really cool and I love the concept though.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• intres cum fixura sine misericordia
    • Mattiknifes blog
« Reply #561 on: November 22, 2018, 10:32:28 AM »
My wife has gotten me to start reading Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett.
I am also reading Firefly - A celebration
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Gankom

• The World Builder
« Reply #562 on: November 22, 2018, 03:21:13 PM »
Huzzah for the spreading Pratchett addiction!

• His Royal Highness
« Reply #563 on: November 28, 2018, 04:43:30 AM »
Hmmm,

Should I pick up Le Morte D'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory, or The Once and Future King by T. H. White? Le Morte D'Arthur was written in the 1480s and the language is very much of that time (almost seems like a mix of the Iliad translation I read and Moby Dick) but is probably the closest thing to "original" Arthurian legend, however The Once and Future King was written in the 1950s and has a more contemporary approach to story telling and is also the contemporary retelling of the Arthurian legend. I can honestly go either way and wanted to know if anyone has read either of them.

Offline GamesPoet

« Reply #564 on: November 28, 2018, 08:27:45 AM »
I would read Malory's.

There are various facsimiles, original spellings, modern spellings, and translations that can be found, and the original in Late Middle English is somewhat readable.  However, there are various versions that have been printed that move the language into Modern English through changes in spelling, pronouns, and some grammar like punctuation and re-paragraphing.

Also, the original printing by William Caxton in 1485 seems to have made some changes from what is being called the Winchester Manuscript, apparently printed prior to Caxton's edition, since smudges of ink in Caxton's own font have been found on the Winchester Manuscript, meaning it was in Caxton's shop at the time of his own printing.  It is hypothesized that the Winchester Manuscript was made from an earlier document.

The most recent edition that I am aware of for the Winchester manuscript is from 2004, while one for Caxton's printing is from 2017.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Il Condottiero

« Reply #565 on: November 28, 2018, 01:41:44 PM »
If you could manage, try reading both. :)

As a historian, I must say that reading the original sources is always amusing and refreshing if you have studied a little bit of the context into which the text was produced. I was unaware of what GP just mentioned regarding the printing of the work [so early too, still in the XVth century! Awesome!]. I wonder if Caxton had some kind of royal privilege over the editions he printed [a sort of precursor to our current idea of intellectual property].

White's version is pretty amusing. It was used by Disney to craft his arthurian film The Sword in the Stone, so you really should approach it at a more whimsical version of the story. It is much less 'serious' or 'grave' in its handling of the theme of the Matter of Britain. I've read it before some time ago and found it a nice read, although the narrative is a bit convoluted - I found it easy to get distracted from it.

Offline Rowsdower

• Jesse Cowled
« Reply #566 on: November 29, 2018, 01:13:04 AM »
Halfway through Blood for the blood god. There are some pretty disturbing creatures in the chaos wastes

• His Royal Highness
« Reply #567 on: November 29, 2018, 02:57:30 PM »
I picked up Le Morte D'Arthur. Holy shit there are a lot of neighboring kings when Arthur is crowned. :-o

Wish there was a map. I cannot find a decent one from google.

Offline Il Condottiero

« Reply #568 on: November 29, 2018, 03:37:26 PM »
Halfway through Blood for the blood god. There are some pretty disturbing creatures in the chaos wastes

I really like how the Chaos Wastes are described, really make all the crazy/gaudy and colorful, Oldhammer Chaos Warriors come alive for me as creatures out of trippy nightmares!

I picked up Le Morte D'Arthur. Holy shit there are a lot of neighboring kings when Arthur is crowned. :-o

As all good little Tardo-roman Barbarian kingdoms should have!

I'm currently through Sorceress of Darshiva, the second-to-last book of the Malloreon, by David Eddings. Boy, it's real nice. I was quite into the Belgariad despite how 'juvenile' the literature seemed sometimes (given all villains get twarted so... easily). The Malloreon is quite a big more gruesome and adult in its themes, and I really like it!

Offline BAWTRM

• The Netherlands
« Reply #569 on: November 29, 2018, 06:57:30 PM »
I'm currently through Sorceress of Darshiva, the second-to-last book of the Malloreon, by David Eddings. Boy, it's real nice. I was quite into the Belgariad despite how 'juvenile' the literature seemed sometimes (given all villains get twarted so... easily). The Malloreon is quite a big more gruesome and adult in its themes, and I really like it!

Been at least ten years since I read Eddings, but I still recall liking the Polgara books (written with his daughter iirc) the best.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline GamesPoet

« Reply #570 on: November 29, 2018, 10:05:43 PM »

Curious as to which edition :icon_question:

Also, at some point it could be good to read a historical account of AElfred the Great.

I enjoyed Alfred the Great: The Man Who Made England by Justin Pollard

• His Royal Highness

Offline Rowsdower

• Jesse Cowled
« Reply #572 on: November 30, 2018, 05:26:59 AM »
Speaking of King Arthur. Whenever I clean my house I say to myself "What a medieval muddle; time to modernise it"

Also; In regards to the chaos wastes. There was one paragraph that describes a legless stag that moved around on a slug-like lower half and other horrible things. Just like in those John Blanche artworks that were in the old chaos rule books.

• His Royal Highness
« Reply #573 on: November 30, 2018, 02:41:44 PM »
Damn Arthur. As soon as you are crowned king you get thrown into a war. You win a great battle seduce a maid and get her pregnant, fight another battle, "fall in love" with Guinevere and then get your half sister (he didn't know they were related) pregnant when she came to spy on you for her husband (the guy at war with you). Dude is getting everyone one pregnant except his wife! I can't help but feel like this is the medieval equivalent of the modern action hero. Manly McAwesome is so awesome he slaughters his enemies like a boss and so virile he gets all the hotties pregnant. Meanwhile Merlin is essentially telling him what to do and pranking Arthur on the reg.

The "great battle" was interesting insight into dark age/medieval combat (or at least Malory's interpretation of it). It kind of reminded me of the Iliad except instead of fighting over fallen soldier's armor, they just unhorse each other, grab the horse, and give it to one of their allies that got unhorsed. Arms and heads are getting severed and ambushes from the bushes. Was fun but battle scenes have come a long way since Malory.

I'm only 1 hour into a 37 hour story but I feel like so much has happened that it could have filled its own novel, provided more detail and dialog was in place.
 :-P

Offline GamesPoet