home

Author Topic: Painting Plastic Plants Help  (Read 824 times)

Online Midaski

• Sussex, England
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Painting Plastic Plants Help
« on: July 31, 2016, 06:57:18 PM »
I have acquired a variety of plastic 'plants' - fishtank stuff, fake garden foliage, and Pegasus Hobbies stuff.

Some of it is usable as it is - some is a bit to 'shiny' and 'green' for my liking so I am going to try giving it a primer spray, and then a light coat of paint.

Has anyone got any experience of this - does the plastic need washing like one would with resin models?

Bishmeister posted about garden centre stuff which led me to it, and it has great potential for foliage, but I think he just used it as it came. 

Some years ago I did try 'painting' the old GW 40K jungle stuff, to not have that lime green look, but the paint tended to crack after very little use.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 07:00:32 PM by Midaski »
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Padre

• View Profile
Re: Painting Plastic Plants Help
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 08:42:26 PM »
I've used those sort of plants for lots of jungle scenery (which can be glossy?), but have never painted it, simply assuming that wouldn't work. So I'd also be interested to hear what advice the informed amongst us have to give!
Photobucket has graciously resurrected my pictures, so my collected works thread is suddenly working again - see http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=38528.0. To see my slowly growing website go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Online Midaski

• Sussex, England
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 09:20:15 PM »

Some work in 'glossy' but there are others that I think need to be a bit paler

These look even 'louder' in the flesh - so I was thinking of a light grey primer and then a softer paler green

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline steveb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 01:01:17 AM »
when I have painted plastic plants in the past I washed with warm soapy water just to be safe. then I primed with a flat coat of acrylic varnish, then I primed and painted, when done painting I again applied another coat of acrylic flat varnish.  This seals the paint inbetween two flexible layers and pretty much keeps them from cracking, and/or flaking off.  if it comes out too shiny you can do a spray of dullcote or other matte spray.  hope this helps.  steveb