home

Author Topic: I still cant love stormcast eternals models  (Read 3253 times)

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• intres cum fixura sine misericordia
    • View Profile
    • Mattiknifes blog
Re: I still cant love stormcast eternals models
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2017, 05:11:38 PM »
Who need knights when you have Sigmarines  :icon_wink:

After all, in the end, GW do NOT want you to only keep playing with your old models. They want you to buy the NEW stuff. Thereby removing some elements that are really needed in some settings you will in the long run make people buy them.

Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2017, 09:23:58 AM »
They were decommissioning very old models.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2017, 01:07:41 PM »
I feel that no matter how much headswap you do, the Stormcast will remain superhumans too Space Marine regardless. It does not really help that you have too read novels to get a feel for how gritty they have it.

Now, having read some of the Horus Heresy novels you get another feel for the Space Marines. But at the least they still remain superknights compared to the soldiers of the Imperial Army. So far the best book have been when normal humans get involved and are part of the story. And "Legion" with the portrayal of the Imperial Army really is one of the best since you feel what it is like for a normal human a bit like you or me to be there in front of these demi-gods.
Note: Demi-gods that can still spring a trap on the very Cabal!

Stormcast are the Thunder Warriors the Emperor created while uniting Terra in the unification wars.

Age of Sigmar is the story of the Unification wars on Holy Terra. Told in the mythological writing style.

I actually got more into the AoS story after I figured this out. Although I still don't care for the story because its basically them just fighting for centuries on a world trapped in a warp storm. And I don't care of the Mythological writing style unless it is further retold in the style of 'ancient aliens'.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 01:10:00 PM by The Peacemaker »
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Wolfgang aus Wien

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2017, 02:13:43 PM »
Especially a culture like the Empire would need a great deal of stability, security and infrastructure to maintain the status quo.
You need workshops, forges, settlements, education, agriculture, mining, trade, and all sorts of other very civilized, un-chaotic life.
Dwarfs, Wood Elves, even High Elves would be able to deal with cataclysmic changes of the world they live in much more easily, and Skaven, Goblins, Orcs, Beastmen etc. may not notice much difference.
Undead would be unable to even care.

As for making us buy new minis, the only new Citadel stuff I've seen recently I might actually want to buy are the WE Wild Riders (on stags, aka Santa's Cavalry), but I'm not sure I'm willing to pay US $ 37 for 5 cavalry.
$ 15 - 20 would be more appropriate.

Offline Baron von Klatz

• warhammer> All other works of mankind
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2017, 02:42:42 AM »
Spoiler ALERT!!! (just kidding)

Haha, don't worry, all that stuff happened at the beginning of the book. The Stormcast army got dropped straight into the action by accident and ended up assaulting a strong chaos defensive position instead of going straight to their objective and finishing what Vandus(fellow on the starter box) started.

I feel that no matter how much headswap you do, the Stormcast will remain superhumans too Space Marine regardless.

That's understandable,  there's still some great conversions out there though.

https://pp.vk.me/c636422/v636422894/5d7/bsYYTok4doY.jpg

Looks like The Empire is called 'Free Peoples' now.
Swords, pikes, greatswords, pistols, knights.
All still there.
How all this survived the cataclysm, I have no idea, but, apparently, it did.......

That's really Sigmar's doing as when chaos conquered the mortal realms the majority of inhabitants fled to Sigmar's realm and his city of Azyrheim. He keeps records in his libraries of the End Times and the World-that-was so he could learn from them and try not to repeat the mistakes made.

Alot of the Free guild owe their inspiration from those ancient armies and several incorporate heraldry that's from those times.

But the knights are gone...

There's still demigryph knights but as for new horsemen it remains to be seen. The Azyrheim Lancehost mentions knight orders within Sigmar's cities so they could make a return but as regular cavalry remains to be seen though.

I feel that no matter how much headswap you do, the Stormcast will remain superhumans too Space Marine regardless. It does not really help that you have too read novels to get a feel for how gritty they have it.

Now, having read some of the Horus Heresy novels you get another feel for the Space Marines. But at the least they still remain superknights compared to the soldiers of the Imperial Army. So far the best book have been when normal humans get involved and are part of the story. And "Legion" with the portrayal of the Imperial Army really is one of the best since you feel what it is like for a normal human a bit like you or me to be there in front of these demi-gods.
Note: Demi-gods that can still spring a trap on the very Cabal!

Stormcast are the Thunder Warriors the Emperor created while uniting Terra in the unification wars.

Age of Sigmar is the story of the Unification wars on Holy Terra. Told in the mythological writing style.

I actually got more into the AoS story after I figured this out. Although I still don't care for the story because its basically them just fighting for centuries on a world trapped in a warp storm. And I don't care of the Mythological writing style unless it is further retold in the style of 'ancient aliens'.

Well, that's certainly an interesting head canon.

Wasn't the Old World trapped in a warp storm as well, though? According to some theories at any rate. Didn't make it any less interesting.

Especially a culture like the Empire would need a great deal of stability, security and infrastructure to maintain the status quo.
You need workshops, forges, settlements, education, agriculture, mining, trade, and all sorts of other very civilized, un-chaotic life.
Dwarfs, Wood Elves, even High Elves would be able to deal with cataclysmic changes of the world they live in much more easily, and Skaven, Goblins, Orcs, Beastmen etc. may not notice much difference.
Undead would be unable to even care.

Well in AoS they did get a chance to completely restart there civilizations for several centuries during the age of myth, it was during the age of chaos that the realms burned and then the Age of Sigmar that marked a reconquest of the realms.

The "Empire" style came out of this as many different cultures and empires gathered under Sigmar's rule for sanctuary and have begun making provinces and cities on the retaken lands.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AHvMa_0Tx8I/WIUdQfa2ckI/AAAAAAAACRc/bw12UK_ZmGAQuzJ_ImGrhQNpzDLuCRq2wCPcB/s1600/Warhammer%2Bage%2Bof%2Bsigmar%2Bartwork%2Billustration%2Bart%2Bdisciples%2Bof%2Btzeentch%2Bbattletome%2B9.jpg
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2017, 12:08:22 AM »

Well, that's certainly an interesting head canon.

Wasn't the Old World trapped in a warp storm as well, though? According to some theories at any rate. Didn't make it any less interesting.

I meant the mythological writing style is uninteresting to me.
Also a full demon world where 'the realm bubbles' are shifting and shaping and etc.... i find kinda boring. Its weird super high fantasy setting that just becomes unimmerisve because basic science pokes holes in lots of the descriptions. Or it doesn't explain or feels like a dream or whatever.

Honestly its just personal preference. I'm not knocking people who enjoy the AoS style.
I listen to the garagehammer podcasts where they provide a summary of the story - so I can enjoy the AoS storyline without having to read the style it is written in.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery