home

Author Topic: Random Interests  (Read 266 times)

Offline KTG17

Random Interests
« on: February 16, 2020, 11:57:37 PM »
Ok so from time to time I have been posting non-WFB stuff in my Deep Dive into WFB thread, and I thought I would just start a new thread where we can post random stuff that we are into at the moment, or find interesting. I don't care what it is. Gaming, non-gaming, your cat, Thai hookers, whatever. If you feel it has no other place in another thread on here, just post it here. And to start things off on how random this is going to be, I'd like to introduce to you my new pet caterpillar:

So I was at the pet store a couple of days ago stocking up on some supplies and also was buying some random insects to put in my terrarium I just set up out on my patio.

So every now and then I set this up and buy a Praying Mantis egg or two and some random other things. When its all working like it should its a pretty neat self-sustaining thing, aside from watering from time to time. This time I went heavy on moss to try something new, as well as other plants from my patio. It usually takes a couple of weeks for the plants to start settling in and then when everything is growing on its own its pretty cool.

Anyway, so at the counter they had these caterpillars for $3 each and mostly for food for insect eating pets, but I was so blown away by it I picked it up for my terrarium.

The little guy eats only Tomato and Tobacco plants, neither which I have, so I stopped at Lowes on the way home and literally let him try out a couple before I bought them. $7 for two.

I guess these guys are infamous for wiping out tobacco crops back in the day, and watching him eat is like watching a machine work. I am just dropping leaves in from the plant every so often, and when I come back they are gone.

Eventually he is supposed to burrow into the soil, make a cocoon, and remerge as a moth. And as my friend pointed out, he will have zero memory of all the nice things I am doing for him when he completes metamorphoses. Oh well. And that is if all goes well and I have no idea if it will, but I think it will be pretty cool to watch that cycle of life happen if it does.

Most of my other friends are rolling their eyes and saying 'here he goes again', but I can't help it. I am just too curious to stop.

Also in the tank are a few crickets to get the biology thing going and they have attracted a bunch of the lizards of my patio, who throw themselves at the glass not realizing its separating them from the crickets.

So that's my $10 experiment. Not sure what I will do after this, I wouldn't mind doing the mantis thing, but they literally eat everything no matter how big the bug and truthfully its like watching a massacre.

Here is the last mantis I had. They only last about a year.

And I will say this, because I am sure many of you are like, what's the point. Well, I have found working with all sorts of creatures that they all have their own personalities and offer something interesting to observe, some more noticeable than others. The more time you spend with them, the more you pick up on.

One thing I will do this summer is show you what I do with wasps. They are always building nests around my house, and why not, I RARELY do anything about it. But I have also learned that once they get used to you, they don't even really flinch when you get close. I have a spot over one of my garage doors they always build at without fail, and eventually I can (moving slowly of course), move my hand right up to the nest and actually pet them. They don't even care. And also interestingly, when I suddenly make a V sign with my two first fingers the whole nest goes on high alert and every wasp sticks their wings out wide like a V, which I guess is their way of warning off others. So I just trigger it when they see my fingers.

My neighbors hate that I don't take these nests down, but honestly they rarely bother me. Usually they fall down due to their own weight. Meaning they get really large.

I know you aren't going to believe me until you see it, so will post pics this summer.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 12:01:07 AM by KTG17 »

Online GamesPoet

• Spring is here! : )
Re: Random Interests
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 02:53:38 PM »
 :icon_cool:  When in my youth, I was always experimenting with the ant hills that would show up in my parents garden, so I get what you're doing.  I've gravitated towards things like petting a young gold finch, and larger animal observations, including moose.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

Online Artobans Ghost

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 03:46:39 PM »
 Great caterpillar!! Nothing wrong with a self sustaining terrarium. You should watch The Biggest Little Farm. Netflix or Prime. An awesome experiment thatís chocked full of amazing environmental synergies.
To me, the act of metamorphosis is one of the most amazing things that nature has come up with. I mean amazing. Everyone knows about it but when you actually think about whatís happening, it can blow your mind.
Bring on the updates. Look forward to it.
Where we now live, there are no trees, birds, animals, just new suburbia. We moved from an ecosystem that had almost every aspect of native creatures running around. Supported them all. Even made peace with freakin spiders. I miss the hummingbirds, cardinals, crows and the odd owl most of all. We were in the process of planting lots of milkweed plants to support the monarch butterflies.
Really miss that place now.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017
Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

Mathi Alfblut Dec 9,2017
Get a binge of Yule ale, roasted boar and some proper axes and we will ALL be happy again!

GP Aug 8, 2019
Can we just take a hammer to it, smash it into little bits.

Offline KTG17

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 08:17:10 PM »
The freakin caterpillar is gone! Nowhere to be found. The top of the tank is locked down so assuming heís burrowed under the soil to cocoon already! WTF! I had him for 2 days! Iím stuck with two tomato plants I donít want now. What the hell.

What a mofo.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 10:12:37 PM »
The freakin caterpillar is gone! Nowhere to be found. The top of the tank is locked down so assuming heís burrowed under the soil to cocoon already! WTF! I had him for 2 days! Iím stuck with two tomato plants I donít want now. What the hell.

What a mofo.

You could always grow some tomatoes ... ...  :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline KTG17

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 12:18:31 PM »
Okay everyone relax. Caterpillar has been found. Guess he had found a place to hide. He is out and about now.

Online Artobans Ghost

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 12:35:01 PM »
Okay everyone relax. Caterpillar has been found. Guess he had found a place to hide. He is out and about now.

Whew! My sleep was troubled last night. Good job!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017
Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

Mathi Alfblut Dec 9,2017
Get a binge of Yule ale, roasted boar and some proper axes and we will ALL be happy again!

GP Aug 8, 2019
Can we just take a hammer to it, smash it into little bits.

Online GamesPoet

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 01:11:05 PM »
All good caterpillars must come to an end. :icon_wink:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline KTG17

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 12:17:30 AM »
Ok Iíve got some good news and some bad news.

The good news is that Iíve decided to name the caterpillar ĎSigmarí.

The bad news is I am not sure Sigmar is doing too well. Seems to be acting a little lethargic, and hasnít eaten much.

Offline Padre

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 06:52:21 PM »
All good caterpillars must come to an end. :icon_wink:

They have two ends, GP, one at the front and one at the back.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Online GamesPoet

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 06:54:06 PM »
See ... we humans are similar to caterpillars ... in one end, and out the other.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 04:13:31 PM »
See ... we humans are similar to caterpillars ... in one end, and out the other.

yes, and we also have to watch out for attractive flames ... ... ...  :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Online GamesPoet

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2020, 10:35:25 PM »
 :icon_lol:  Isn't that the truth! :::cheers:::