home

Author Topic: Picture size issues  (Read 903 times)

Offline Padre

• View Profile
Picture size issues
« on: July 20, 2017, 01:06:42 AM »
There's a new issue with pictures posted using the square brackets 'img' things. They no longer sit neatly in the post, but can disappear off to the side. This wasn't the case in the past as the forum used to resize them to fit.

I may have been witness to when the change was made. A couple of weeks or so ago there was a conversation between Midaski and Fidelis about picture sizes. I clumsily attempted to join in. Midaski did 'something' to the forum picture settings ...

I think I have fixed it.
There was a setting of 800w x 500h in the Layout control.
Just disabling it and then modifying your pic to the dimensions you gave has changed your picture Fidelis - does it look ok now?

It will only work now on new posts - previous ones will need editing like Padre has tried and done.

We may have to impose some restriction as pictures could appear huge and members will be moaning they cannot get them to fit posts  :engel:

And ...  Ta Da!  ... just like Midaski said, the problems began.

BUT this was not the case for about 10 years. The forum used to resize everything appropriately. Can't we turn whatever was doing that back on again?

Pretty please.
Photobucket has graciously resurrected my pictures, so my collected works thread is suddenly working again - see http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=38528.0. To see my slowly growing website go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Attorney-at-RAW
    • View Profile
Re: Picture size issues
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 01:19:29 AM »
My personal experience was always that I had to re-size "oversize" (>740 width) pictures myself to make them fit. The only time it happened automatically was during the layout control restriction referred to above.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Padre

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 01:22:58 AM »
In 10 years and more than 3000 (photobucket) pictures I never once had to resize. Of the 6 forums I used, this one was the only one to make the pictures fit the screen perfectly, adding new size values automatically. (Of course if I copied a post from here, I had to remove the number values.)

But it's stopped working now - unless it is an IMGUR image issue?
Photobucket has graciously resurrected my pictures, so my collected works thread is suddenly working again - see http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=38528.0. To see my slowly growing website go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Attorney-at-RAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 01:31:20 AM »
As I said, I have a different experience - but I only really started to post pictures from 2013 on, via photobucket.
To clarify: as fas as I know, oversized pictures were represented within a frame and you had to shift the picture to see all parts (which I do not like). If I wanted the picture to be completely visible without the frame, I always had to re-size it to fit the post.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 02:13:35 AM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Midaski

• Sussex, England
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 02:23:07 AM »
It's happening because I turned off all the size restrictions - height and width set to '0'

The picture in question from Fidelis was an awkward size - usually our pics tend to be landscape rather than portrait.

Also there is probably a ratio pattern I need to observe - like with TV 4x3 or 16x9 sort of thing.

This is the problem with a little knowledge and a dodgy old man getting involved ..........................  :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Padre

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 02:38:45 AM »
You never told me you were 'dodgy' before! I had no idea. Still, it makes sense. Perfect sense.  :engel:

Can't you turn size restrictions back on to whatever they were before. I can't see how in far more than 3000 pictures (more like 3500) I never had an issue before!

Online Artobans Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 03:21:31 AM »
I used your example of resizing Padre, with 500 x 500 and that solved the issue for me. Pics in 'new start' in AoS thread. I had a couple of pics that were enormous and managed to get them to fit. But like you said before , I didn't need to do that before.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017
Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

Mathi Alfblut Dec 9,2017
Get a binge of Yule ale, roasted boar and some proper axes and we will ALL be happy again!

Offline Midaski

• Sussex, England
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 07:07:47 AM »
I cannot remember what they were before - I am past 66 so I blame memory loss.  :closed-eyes:

I have however done some random searching of photos in posts in the B&P from various old topics and the maximum limits I found were 750 wide and 1005 high, so I have reset the limits accordingly.

The height doesn't really matter, but the width is the measurement that introduces the horizontal scroll bar so I am trying to eradicate that.

Here's hoping  :engel:

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Padre

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 07:52:23 AM »
I love you Midaski. And it's a pure, true love, unlike that felt by any .... ok, I'm exaggerating. But you have fixed the picture issua thing. I just copied, and re-posted my latest campaign piece and all the pictures came out good. Hurray. I love y ... wait, I've already done that.

Offline Midaski

• Sussex, England
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 08:20:09 AM »
I love you Midaski. And it's a pure, true love,

............ even with my right-wing, Tory loving, pro-Brexit attitudes ................. see W-E conquers all   :engel:

Online Artobans Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 08:26:36 AM »
I love you Midaski. And it's a pure, true love,

............ even with my right-wing, Tory loving, pro-Brexit attitudes ................. see W-E conquers all   :engel:

You should copy and save this Mids. It might come in handy some day  :smile2:
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017
Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

Mathi Alfblut Dec 9,2017
Get a binge of Yule ale, roasted boar and some proper axes and we will ALL be happy again!