home

Author Topic: GDPR compliant?  (Read 323 times)

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
    • View Profile
    • My wargaming blog
GDPR compliant?
« on: June 11, 2018, 01:10:24 PM »
Just wondering and to safe guard this forum project towards any legal actions that might get on from this...

How is the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation, european privacy stuffz) affecting this and is this forum compliant towards it?

Also about the photo's linked in, looking mostly at the Eurobash compilation thread for example.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 07:08:11 PM by StealthKnightSteg »
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Xathrodox86

• He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
    • View Profile
    • It always rains in Nuln
Re: GDPR compliant?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 10:58:33 AM »
You're talking about the RODO initiative, right?
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Attorney-at-RAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 11:32:15 AM »
No, the GDPR is the EU regulation designed to harmonize data privacy laws across Europe. The enforcement date was 25 May 2018, after which penalties might be imposed for non-compliance. The GDPR applies to organisations located within the EU, but also outside of the EU if they offer goods or services to, or monitor the behaviour of, EU data subjects.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Xathrodox86

• He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
    • View Profile
    • It always rains in Nuln
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 11:38:24 AM »
Oh, ok. :happy:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

• View Profile
    • My wargaming blog
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 12:19:52 PM »
Even a forum like this one with a member database as an "entity" needs to be compliant, now that this will be looked into by any Protection Agency on their own will be almost zero. But if any complaints are made it might actually be investigated, resulting in warnings and / or fines.

This forum that has personal data will mostly only be the email adress that might be personally linked to a data subject. And the service this board offers is a "free forum" and I for one am an EU data subject.

As a person on this forum I am accountable for any pictures I post (together with the forum owners / moderators) of other people that are recognizable (hence I mentioned the Eurobash pictures) of which we really need written conscent of the people on the pictures.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline GamesPoet

• Happy Birthday! : )
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 01:58:35 PM »
And if GW decides they don't like us ... there could be a complaint ... even if it is a stupid one.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

Offline Midaski

• Sussex, England
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 02:21:56 PM »
The site and forum is registered in the USA so I would guess we would need to comply with American regs?
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

• View Profile
    • My wargaming blog
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 02:37:58 PM »
The site and forum is registered in the USA so I would guess we would need to comply with American regs?

Also, but with the GDPR it doesn't matter where the company, forum, entity, scouting group or what ever is located. As soon as it has personal data on a EU citizen then it needs to comply with it.

1) This Regulation applies to the processing of personal data in the context of the activities of an establishment of a controller or a processor in the Union, regardless of whether the processing takes place in the Union or not.

2) This Regulation applies to the processing of personal data of data subjects who are in the Union by a controller or processor not established in the Union, where the processing activities are related to:

a)   the offering of goods or services, irrespective of whether a payment of the data subject is required, to such data subjects in the Union; or
 b)   the monitoring of their behaviour as far as their behaviour takes place within the Union.

‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person;

there are more sections on the website in those articles linked in the quotation that apply, but these I pointed out specifically
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 02:40:20 PM by StealthKnightSteg »

Offline Midaski

• Sussex, England
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 03:01:30 PM »
How ironic when you  recall all the fuss when I took down the Bash photos a couple of years ago!  :engel:

Anyway we should be ok - there aren't any crazy persons around to complain ... ... ....  :closed-eyes:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:00:01 PM by Midaski »
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 12:57:55 AM »
Regardless, reporting any offending posts with photos or personal information that a person doesn’t want shared will prompt us to remove it. Its a fairly simple mechanism but complaints about the site should come to us first and most of us are pretty level headed and fair.

This is just another layer on top that requires consideration in our decision making.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Europe, Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 07:47:13 AM »
You could just copy-paste one of the millions of GDPR statements and sticky it somewhere. Most of them are quite informal, and merely point out that the site keepers are awake. Probably the easiest and most far-sighted thing to do.

Although an open forum, the W-E is in practice a rather closed community of perhaps 150 (semi-)active individuals, and by now most have followed the site for years, some over a decade. It's very unlikely anyone of us would sue the site keepers for anything.

The 'bash is probably the only situation where non-members might end up being pictured/mentioned on the forum without their consent. You will know who these people are in the 'bash. Maybe ask before taking photos or listing names?

-Z
Simulation over gaming. Because fantasy matters.

• View Profile
    • My wargaming blog
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 08:50:17 AM »
I did ask in the HQ (the bash club) FB goup page if anyone had problems with their picture if they were on any of mine (linked the Blog post about it)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Europe, Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 09:50:10 AM »
 :::cheers::: SKS!

-Z

Offline Perambulator

• Administrator
  • Much Less Dense Than Other Lawyers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 03:46:55 PM »
So WE legal counsel here: Our current terms of use are actually mostly compliant with the regulations. We are clear and upfront with what we do with people's information and we have a process for removing personally identifiable information in our possession. That doesn't remove an individual's responsibility if they make their own information public by posting it on public discussion boards. But as far as the information that other people post on this site, we actually don't own any of that. That's on whomever posts that information.

Quote from: Johan Willhelm
Quote from: Dendo Star
Muppets do not have Hatred!
I bet "Animal" has Frenzy . . .

Offline Padre

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 10:47:56 PM »
... the W-E is in practice a rather closed community of perhaps 150 (semi-)active individuals ...

Hey! Who are you calling 'individual'? I'll have you know I am exactly the same as everyone else - not one bit different.
Photobucket has graciously resurrected my pictures, so my collected works thread is suddenly working again - see http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=38528.0. To see my slowly growing website go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Gankom

• The World Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 03:28:49 AM »
Lies, your nothing like me Padre! You have a MUCH better taste in fashion.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Europe, Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 08:12:58 AM »

Offline Padre

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 08:34:37 AM »
My favourite comedy moment of all time, Zygmund!
Photobucket has graciously resurrected my pictures, so my collected works thread is suddenly working again - see http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=38528.0. To see my slowly growing website go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Happy Birthday! : )
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 12:33:16 PM »
"Now stop that, go away!" :icon_lol:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb