home

Author Topic: WHFB Albion Concept Artwork by Matthew Klaas de Witte (Deviantart)  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Karak Norn Clansman

• Admiralty Miniatures
Re: WHFB Albion Concept Artwork by Matthew Klaas de Witte (Deviantart)
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2019, 08:44:26 PM »
Cheers, folks! He appreciate your comments, and read them all. Druid fightclub perhaps?  :smile2:

Quote from: Matthew Klaas de Witte
Original fan content

"It's a shame you can't just pick up the Ogham Stones and take them with you, they're so helpful casting spells, but never in exactly the right place when you need them" - Boio Windspeaker, Truthsayer of The Circle. Unwitting inventor of the Henge Chariot.

The Ogham Stones augment the winds of magic, improving the quality of spell, and ease of casting. Other Truthsayers scoffed and even laughed at Boio's idea, but when he took it into battle there was no laughing, only the screams of his enemies.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2019, 08:57:55 PM »
Thats kinda ridiculous... I would think more like a chariot pulling only one on its side with wheels would be actually practical - that looks WAY too heavy to actually work.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• Admiralty Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2019, 03:41:48 AM »
Haha, then it's magical!  :-P

Master de Witte has started to pick up on concept ideas from over on Chaos Dwarfs Online:

Unofficial fan content

Bowlers are large (even for a warrior of Albion) slingers who hurl large stones. You may think you need to get close to not have to confront getting your helm caved-in by massive stones. But upon inspecting their size, you may think out-ranging them with your own missiles would be a smarter approach. At higher levels, these men wear better armour and hurl magical carved shots imbued by Truthsayers. While they can't throw as far as a normal slinger, they hit extremely hard.

Thanks for the inspiration from a user from a message board by the name of Uther the Unhinged. Who suggested magical sling stones. I think it's a great way to add to their uniqueness!

• Admiralty Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2019, 06:47:56 AM »
Chief Begorix and Hoggarix

Begoix is chief of the Boreni. The tribe is located nearby the main herding grounds of great hogs which it uses as mounts. These animals have potential to grow greater in size than the other boars of Albion and the Old World, and Begorix rides Hoggarix, who comes from a bloodline cultivated by the chieftains of old to be the largest and most spirited of all great hogs. He and his tribe take the mantle of protecting the Great Ogham, The most important and largest stone circle in Albion, it channels much of the power that is used by Truthsayers. Knowledge and wisdom old and new is recorded upon its many stone edifices by the Truthsayers. He is immensely proud to a fault, he does not allow for anyone of other tribes to trespass without the blessings of the native Thruthsayers.

• Admiralty Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2019, 06:59:49 AM »

Unofficial fan content

Though fierce warriors all, the natives of Albion do enjoy sporting. Even so, it is a violent game, with many finding their mouths on the receiving end of a hurley. Those competent enough at the sport may decide to convert it into warfare, striking stone balls at their enemies, then switching to bladed sticks, with a metal pommel so it can be used for smashing heads after ammunition is gone. These warriors can strike their shots while moving and hit them further than the "bowlers" can throw.   

I was watching an Irish film and had this idea strike me. While I'm not sure how far one can hit a stone with a hurley, and then there being enough force behind it to kill, let's just conveniently suspend that part of reality shall we? :D

Armor was inspired by the Glauberg Prince, combined with Halstatt studs.

• Admiralty Miniatures
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2019, 07:30:04 AM »

Unofficial fan content

The Truthsayers know a myriad of secrets, not all of them are good. The ability to animate the Manhirs and Manoliths into machinations of war are one thing, the Wicker Men are more curious still. Even rarer, and of dubious origins, they instill fear in their allies and enemies. A chieftain will not turn away the help but it will give him unease. What powers them? What causes the being to burn without being consumed? Ask not, only see the path to victory before you, whose blazing trail has been bought with the screams of the burning soul trapped within.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2019, 09:34:24 AM »
Interesting!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• Admiralty Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2019, 09:17:04 AM »
For sure!

Unofficial fan content

These great warriors are tasked with protecting the most sacred stone circles that populate Albion. While a standard standing-stone channels and amplifies the Winds of Magic, the stone circles don't just amplify them greatly, but contain wisdom and knowledge from the aeons inscribed in ogham upon them. They are of utmost importance to the peoples of Albion, and must have their chosen protectors.

I wanted to show the ways I could make La Tene inspired plate armour. And design a non-charcter hero-style unit

• Admiralty Miniatures
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2019, 01:47:41 PM »

The Cornu is a magical war trumpet that inspires its army to feats of glory, each style has its own sound and affects the listener differently. The immense amount of work and care that goes into each one belies its importance to the people of Albion. These are not common instruments, neither is it a common man who plays them!

--------------------

I wanted to combine the different styles of La Tene trumpets. But I'm not sure where I got the idea for a wrap-around. I most definitely saw it somewhere.

• Admiralty Miniatures
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2019, 02:02:24 PM »

Unofficial fan content

The hold is constructed upon the ruins of an ancient structure built by Old Ones. The demon Be'lakor, and the labour of slaves assembled the Citadel, most of which died, upon his leaving the island it came under the control of the wizard Ternoash, who visits on occasion but leaves in the hands of his many puppets.  It is hidden deep in the Chaos tainted North, nigh impossible to find in the heavy mists and treacherous bogs that surround it, and even when you do find it, what will you do but despair? The walls are woven with lead, and the central tower is completely metal while twisted abominations created by the Deceiver lurch and flap between the ramparts. While the demon Be'lakor was able to garrison and arm the citadel to the brim, it is still powerful without him.

• Admiralty Miniatures
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2019, 01:19:23 PM »

Unofficial fan content

Buddug is the great eagle riding archer, Chief of the Toulenii.

I wanted to redesign her helmet as it is the personality of the character and I felt that the original was too generic. and I wanted to draw her for fun.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Europe, Finland
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2019, 07:50:43 AM »
Really nice illustrations of people and their gear!

The citadel, ahem....

-Z
Forget the 6'x4' game, focus on the story beyond that. Because fantasy matters.

Offline Gankom

• The World Builder
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2019, 04:16:02 PM »
Art is fantastic as always, and I like the fluff blurbs. Really doing a good job filling out the island.

Offline Cèsar de Quart

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2019, 11:08:21 AM »
Veeery nice work on Budugg. I love the helmet and the feathers on the hair.