home

Author Topic: Discworld Inspired - Up and Away  (Read 1153 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Happy Halloween! : )
Re: Discworld Inspired - Up and Away
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2019, 01:53:49 AM »
Oh wow!  Thanks for all the pictures!  A fitting tribute. :::cheers:::

Here's what I wrote on the other thread after just seeing the one photo ...

We get some really high quality stuff being shown on this website.  This is another one.

JAK's painting style alone makes this great.  The story telling through these kinds of dioramas is astounding.

I feel so blessed to see things like this, it makes life worth living. Very grateful, and I am humbled by things like this.

This is stunning, so detailed, the SteveB figure is priceless. :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Europe, Finland
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2019, 07:43:38 AM »
Jaw-dropping piece.

There's so much going on.

Why did the goblins bring that beast? To make sure the birds fly? And did the beast just eat one of the birds? And the last one still refuses to fly?

Inventive use of the Gunhauler bits!

-Z
Forget the 6'x4' game, focus on the story beyond that. Because fantasy matters.

Offline TheHoundmaster

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2019, 06:18:53 PM »
As always your Discworld work is the very stuff of dreams. I absolutely love all of it!
"What I like best about a siege is that there is nowhere for them to run..."
+++ Witch-hunter Zacharia Schmundt +++

Offline JAK

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2019, 07:04:02 PM »

Why did the goblins bring that beast? To make sure the birds fly? And did the beast just eat one of the birds? And the last one still refuses to fly?

-Z

The story behind the airship – There are Discworld pictures of Leonard of Quirm in a balloon type devise being pulled by small dragons. This was the starting point but as I had the birds they replaced the dragons. Pictures of a US Civil War balloon being filled from two containers which created a gas (Helium?) resulted in the loading platform and the two barrels – one with AchToO and the other something highly volatile. There are cylinders on the top of the gas bag to represent that the middle expands as the two liquids are combined in flight.

You cannot see clearly in the pictures but in front of the platform are two posts with rings at the top. The keel of the basket has a hole in it so that when lined up between the posts a wooden spar goes through all three to moor the ship, with an anchor for added security. The birds have perches at their feeding station (but no water?)

What you haven’t seen before these pictures were taken is that a goblin had been requested by its partner to take their little fluffy wuffy lapdog walkies. Around the bottom of one of the above mentioned posts is that well known chemical element K9P. While Fluffy was making this deposit he took a fancy to the wooden stick jutting out of the post and broke it off. This caused the ship to break free and start to rise, which naturally frighten the wits out of poor little Fluffy who dashed through the area where the raptors were feeding, in turn frightening two of them who took flight.

As said before the goblins are naturally cave dwellers and are unsure about being on the surface so getting them to go into the air has been a trial. The bunny comfort blankets have helped and one is using his to try to help calm poor Fluffy down.  Medicinal amounts of amber liquids have also been given to give the goblins ‘Dutch’ courage but the one taking his on the top of the steps has his eyes closed and hasn’t realised the basket is no longer there. His friend who leapt onto the anchor to give it extra weight has realised this and has turned to watch the fun unaware that he is about to crack his head on the bird perch.

The ship was not quite ready for take-off. The co-pilot is still eating his lunch and as the raptors are not normally so keen to take off the goblin at the top is preparing a ‘donkey’s carrot’.

The model, for me, was fairly straight forward to make, although I should have thought more about how the elements went together as it’s quite difficult to photograph the component part.  The only bit that didn’t work as planned was the rein for the sitting bird – I was assured by the model shop owner that the wire was stiff enough to take the weight of the model – it was alright with just the basket but the bag was too much so I had to use the plastic stand.

Offline Artobans Ghost

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2019, 07:31:36 PM »
Quote JAK:  The bunny comfort blankets have helped and one is using his to try to help calm poor Fluffy down.

Luckily I had just finished my Pepsi otherwise it would have been a mess. 😸
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017
Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

Mathi Alfblut Dec 9,2017
Get a binge of Yule ale, roasted boar and some proper axes and we will ALL be happy again!

GP Aug 8, 2019
Can we just take a hammer to it, smash it into little bits.

Offline zak

• Raging Viking
    • Zachary Moss
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2019, 07:33:43 PM »
Oh dude I know Steveb ( in that great airship in the sky lol) is smiling at your work. One of the great things I got to do was talk to him about you all and those of you that inspired his work. I wish I could have got it but he had a large note book with pics he printed off for future projects of things he saw on this site. JAK, you are defiantly one who he loved to follow.

:::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::

Side note I never knew much about Disc world but you got me looking into the movies, literature etc. lol
"Fight your foes in the field, nor be burnt in your house!"