home

Author Topic: Getting some fantasy terrain done at last....  (Read 2286 times)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Europe, Finland
Re: Getting some fantasy terrain done at last....
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2019, 08:11:57 PM »
Now that's an eye catcher!  :eusa_clap:

-Z
Simulation over gaming. Because fantasy matters.

Offline The Black Knight

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2019, 10:10:34 AM »
Thanks again for the kind words gents! My gf has a large collection of bare metal LOTR minis. I am itching to start turning them into little dioramas like this one. I doubt we will ever get to play the game itself, but these would be very pretty sitting in a glass cabinet!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 01:50:39 PM by The Black Knight »
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline zak

• Raging Viking
    • Zachary Moss
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2019, 11:15:11 PM »
HOLY COW this is awesome work  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
"Fight your foes in the field, nor be burnt in your house!"

Offline KTG17

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2019, 06:28:37 PM »
I need to see all this on a gaming board!

Awesome work!

Offline The Black Knight

« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2019, 02:33:14 PM »

Thanks! Iíll get to that once I have a snazzy looking gaming mat and some more terrain pieces done. Best I can do for now is this picture of the terrain setup for the final game of our campaign, my terrain is mixed among the other guys stuff.

Offline The Black Knight

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2019, 10:21:55 PM »
Aww geeez itís been a while, hasnít it?

Sorry for the long hiatus guys, but between the goblins, campaigning and some pretty harsh real life stuff I havenít been very much in ďterrain building modeĒ in the last couple of months. So it goes with our hobby I guess, inspiration and free time are not a given.
But I had an off day for terrain making .., and Iím here to tell you about it.

So I couldnít decide what to work on after my hiatus. I was itching to start something new and exciting, but in the end I went back to the tree-making. Letís call it a memento for all the endangered world forests today.
With all the conifer trees done I had to tackle the deciduous ones at last. I must say that I ummed an ahhhed about it for a good whileÖ.then I remembered that I have a huge stash of desert roots hidden in my basement. I know that right now most of you are going ďwtf dudeĒ but itís actually pretty simple. My father Ė an avid model maker himself -  regularly goes to the African coast of the Mediterranean because of work. Heís been collecting and bringing these roots over the span of at least a  decade, as they literally just look like little trees. Just look at them:

He always said they would make awesome trees, but I was just too lazy to do anything with them. I realize this is probably pretty unhelpful for anyone wishing to copy my work but hey ho. I know there are options to find stuff like this in gardening centres etc. You just have to be a bit lucky.
So anyways the plan was simple. Get the roots washed, dried and stuck onto mdf bases. Then add some roots made of DAS, and blend the trunks a bit. Some of my natural armatures got a bit broken in storage, but Iíve managed to fix some of them by pinning the twigs together. It sounds a bit crazy, but itís the same process as with pinning miniature bits.  Here are the results of todayís session, the clay needs to harden (there's one model tree in there as well and one that will be left dead, without any leaves):

The twigs will be painted using various woodstains (as you can already see on some of the test pieces, that Iíve done). Then I will cover them in watered down PVA to make them a bit more robust, before moving onto the foliage.

Stay tuned! I know they don't look like much yet, but have faith  :smile2:

« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 09:28:41 AM by The Black Knight »

Offline Naitsabes

• Never slid
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2019, 09:39:28 PM »
that looks like a great start to some leafy trees. seems to me they would snap like dry twigs (ha!) but, you must think they will hold up to the rigors of gaming. Maybe you are a very gentle gamer?

Looking forward to the foliage, that's the hard part as far as I can tell.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 1Sep2019 - buildings ...and buildings

Online GamesPoet

• Happy Summer! : )
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2019, 09:50:33 PM »
I like the looks so far! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

Offline The Black Knight

« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2019, 11:37:08 AM »
Cheers GamesPoet!

@Naitsabes:

Naaah I knock my terrain around like it owes me money. Truth be told I am worried that the armatures may turn out too brittle. The "trunks' are super tough, I have trouble breaking them in half using clippers, but the branches are a different story.

I was thinking of dipping the entire thing in latex rubber, like this fellow suggests:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-ryYEMomK8

Unfortunately I can't source any cheap liquid rubber. It's like 15 quid per litre  here - at this rate I might as well buy ready trees, rather than fiddle around with sticks. I'm gona try 2 coats of watered down PVA, like I did with the little twig I put on the Gollum diorama. This SHOULD make it sturdy enough. Gluing the foliage down will secure it even further I hope, and then varnishing etc. I guess it's a risk I have to take!

Trees are painted already, working on the bases  tonight. Should have some new pics tomorrow I hope :)

Offline Artobans Ghost

« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2019, 01:09:36 PM »
Quote BK: Naaah I knock my terrain around like it owes me money.

Now that made me laugh. I used to treat my miniís that way at the gameshop. Always handfuls of casualties but had to bow down to peer pressure. They were horrified at the way I treated them so I tried to make them feel  better. 😸
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017
Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

Mathi Alfblut Dec 9,2017
Get a binge of Yule ale, roasted boar and some proper axes and we will ALL be happy again!

GP Aug 8, 2019
Can we just take a hammer to it, smash it into little bits.

Offline The Black Knight

« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2019, 08:27:58 PM »
Hahah! Well...maybe I'm not THAT bad with it, just that the normal amount of wear and tear, knocking stuff off the table etc.

But..to be honest, in my early 20's I did use to carry my Norse blood bowl team casually thrown into a woolen pouch with a viking amulet on it. I don't know why, I guess was just beeing facetious with the "if the gods want it, they won't come apart" approach. And I yes I've also made my friends feel uncomofrtable, to the point where they demanded I get them a proper carrying box  :icon_mrgreen:.

Offline The Black Knight

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2019, 11:37:26 AM »
Update time.

[/url]

Iíve finished painting and basing the trees! The woodstains did their job better than paints would, by producing this slightly desaturated, patchy natural look. The only problem is that I had little control over what the final result but hey. At least I didn't have to fiddle around with the airbrush.

As for the bases it was pretty much my standard technique as described before. The vegetation was created by using dark flock for the moss, some grass tufts and then a few spots of coarser flock for the underbush.

[/url]

One new thing, that I wanted to try out, was making some more distinct-looking plants. Out comes the little plastic twig I picked up at the florist at some point.

I know that many people use aquarium plants and just stick them to their bases, this is made of similar, glossy, crappy plastic. After snipping away several bigger pieces, I was left pondering how to paint them. I know that people often bathe them in a degreaser and prime them or whatnont. I was feeling reckless, so I just busted out the gretching green, washed them with biel-tan and boom! Done. Sometimes itís better to not overthink things I guess.

The only thing left was snipping of smaller pieces and supergluing them to the base. I think Iíve managed to create quite convincing little firs.

While I had my basing materials out, I revisited the objective markers I did before and added a bit of greenery.

Next step of the tree making process will be spraying diluted pva all over the trees and bases. I reeeeally hope I donít ruin everything  :icon_eek:!

Online GamesPoet

• Happy Summer! : )
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2019, 12:14:29 PM »
Excellent, looking great!  I love the one that looks like an older tree with some of its roots above the ground.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

Offline Artobans Ghost

« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2019, 12:50:10 PM »
This is fantastic
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017
Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

Mathi Alfblut Dec 9,2017
Get a binge of Yule ale, roasted boar and some proper axes and we will ALL be happy again!

GP Aug 8, 2019
Can we just take a hammer to it, smash it into little bits.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Europe, Finland
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2019, 12:49:16 PM »
Beautiful trees!

-Z
Simulation over gaming. Because fantasy matters.