home

Author Topic: Getting some fantasy terrain done at last....  (Read 449 times)

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
    • View Profile
    • My wargaming blog
Re: Getting some fantasy terrain done at last....
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2018, 07:57:48 AM »
Wow everything looks so fantastic. Meanwhile I'm over here with my buildings made out of lego and spray painted black.

You spray paint Lego black?  :icon_eek:
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline The Black Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2018, 05:24:40 PM »
And I’m back!

Sadly work has not progressed on the bushes, as I haven’t been able to locate any latex-based spray glue nearby. I finally caved in and ordered online, but I’m still waiting for it to arrive (grumble). I also didn’t have time to look for the Noch leaves, as I’ve been too swamped with work.
However, I felt compelled to churn out a couple more terrain pieces for the event we’re having on Saturday. The guys usually raid their Malifaux club and borrow scenery from there, but it’s not always certain.

So I decided to finish off a few bits from my old terrain collection, that I felt were worth fixing.

I’ve effectively re-flocked them using three colours of fine turf. Then I’ve added some coarser flock and finally tufts and flowers. I still have to fix the spruces a bit as they have lost most of their flock , but I need the damn glue to do that.

I’ve also dug out a small cromlÍh type structure, that a friend of mine left in my possession.  Earlier this year I did some work on it, mainly by gluing the broken stones back onto their base.

I wasn’t originally going to keep this, but I noticed that the colour of the static grass used on it matched my latest efforts pretty closely. So I decided to give it a super quick facelift, as it would allow me to almost fill out an entire 3x3 Malifaux table, if I got this done in time.

So the first thing was to strengthen the whole structure. As you can see whoever made this, picked corrugated cardboard as a basing material. This was obviously a bad choice, as the base was very warped and the Styrofoam stones were wobbling very alarmingly, whenever it was moved.

Some quick work with a jigsaw produced a snazzy looking MDF base…..after I made the first one too small that is!

After spending 20 minutes wrestling with the absolutely useless hot glue gun (Again! Why do I keep convincing myself it’s a good idea to trust this thing), I finally managed to get the original cardboard base stuck to the wood using an epoxy putty

Next, it was time to make the stones look less silly. From what I could gather, they were made out of expanded polystyrene (the not cool kind used for packaging), smeared with some plaster, painted and covered in static grass. Not how I would go about it definitely!

So after I scrapped off most of the grass I made a textured spackle mix to, make the surface of the stones a bit more interesting. This time I chose white spackle, added in some chinchilla sand and a bit of the coarser sand I use for basing.

Then I added a dollop of black and raw umber acrylic paints, to add colour to the mix and do the base colours in one go.

I applied the mix it with an old brush all over the rocks, adding in a bit of water to make it flow better. While the rocks were drying, I applied some pure filler to the edge of the base, to blend in the old base with the new one and create a little slope.
This was the end result.

I had to leave the whole piece to dry. Later I will add sand and all kinds of flock. The stones will get a solid drybrush and some washes. Maybe then I won’t feel like I’m wasting my time, as so far I remain otherwise unconvinced!

I have only Friday evening to finish this, fingers crossed.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 05:28:43 PM by The Black Knight »
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

Offline GamesPoet

• Happy Thanksgiving! : )
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2018, 07:16:46 PM »
Uh oh, a sacrificial offering stone in the middle. :icon_eek:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

Offline The Black Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2018, 07:26:45 PM »
It's pretty corny I know, it's how I got it though, that's my line of defense!  :icon_wink:
"All right... we'll call it a draw".