home

Author Topic: Northern Patrol Empire Army  (Read 3280 times)

Offline bja5006

• Members
Northern Patrol Empire Army
« on: November 11, 2018, 07:47:17 PM »
Greetings all,

A few years ago I started repainting my Empire Army from 6th Ed.  The models have sat in a box for the last 15+ years, and as my painting skills have vastly improved over the years, I thought they deserved a revamp.  The End Times reignited my interest in Fantasy, but unfortunately we all know how that turned out.  So as I moped around looking at things like 9th Age and Kings of War, my vigor for Fantasy slowly faded.  Various 40k and scenery projects have taken up my hobby time recently.

I'm currently cramped into a rental house while we build our dream forever home, and have decided to pull out the Empire once again.  With all the 40k armies in their boxes, there should be fewer distractions this time. 

I've created this in an attempt to keep my motivation up, as I tend to bounce between hobby projects quite frequently.  This post will be the army as it stands now.  I'll post WIP shots and newly finished models as they come.  From the pics below, you can see what's currently a WIP.

For starters, this is the original color scheme I chose way back in high school, when my journey with the Empire Started.

While it's not the worst thing I've ever seen, I decided to go with something darker for the new scheme.  Here's the army as it stands now, followed by individual shots.

Command Group

51 Halberdiers

20 Swordsmen

Humble Gunline

Artillery Train

Knights (basing and banner WIP)

STANK (Heart of Steel) - needs some edge highlighting now that I look at it....

Witch Hunter and Warrior Priests WIP

Wizard Contingent.  The aim is to have 1 for every college of magic.  Obviously WIP

WIP War Altar

The newest addition, fresh off the priming table.  30 Teutonic Knights from Norba Miniatures.  Greatsword proxies.

I have a few more units unprimed and in need of movement trays:
35 spearmen
16 handgunners
20 knights with lances
various characters

Please feel free to let me know how to improve anything.  I'll be posting things as I complete them.  Right now it's the Fire Wizard, War Altar, and great weapon Knights on the workbench.  I think I'll be working on some of the wizards in conjunction with the Greatswords, to break up the tediousness. 

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 08:17:24 PM by bja5006 »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Northern Patrol Empire Army
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 11:20:32 PM »
Looks like it is coming along well! :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 02:58:49 PM »
Now this is some project. The army is quite good-looking as it stands, so it will be interesting to see what kind of uplift you have in mind. :)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 04:18:28 PM »
wow dude they look marvelous  :smile2: 
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline bja5006

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 06:09:42 PM »
Thanks. To clarify, they were all red/white/green to start. The purple/black is the new scheme. I started a few years ago, so there's been a lot of progress that I haven't documented.

I'm a bit unimpressed with how I've been doing the snow patches. Right now I do a white spot undercoat, then glob on a mixture of pva glue, water, and hobby snow powder. I want something more realistic, and that gives a "gusty and cold" feel. I saw Citadel has a Valhallan Blizzard texture paint.  Anyone have any experience with that, or any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 06:25:36 PM »
I liked your green and white color scheme, too! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline bja5006

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 08:01:56 PM »
Due to the weather today, I took the opportunity to 'work' from home.  I need to give my eyeballs some rest, so here's what I've managed today:

Finished the banner and basing on the knights.  I absolutely despise freehand work, but I think it's good enough.  I'm calling them done.

Fire Wizard and Warrior Priest finished.  Also started working on the Arch Lector. He'll be permanently affixed to the War Altar, so his base is just for ease of painting.

Finally, added some edge highlights to the Steam Tank.  I like her much better now.

If you're still reading (who does that?)...

Does anyone have a good recipe for super brilliant armor?  My next unit of knights will be Reiksguard, and I want their plating to look well polished and regal.  I'm thinking a white undercoat, then spray metallic, followed by a very light wash, and highlighted back up?

Thanks for looking!

Brian

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 07:43:50 AM »

If you're still reading (who does that?)...

Does anyone have a good recipe for super brilliant armor?  My next unit of knights will be Reiksguard, and I want their plating to look well polished and regal.  I'm thinking a white undercoat, then spray metallic, followed by a very light wash, and highlighted back up?

Thanks for looking!

Brian

I do seemingly..

Anyway you can also finish with an 'Ardcoat layer to make the armour shiney. Leadbealcher basecoat and stormhost silver highlights first
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline bja5006

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 01:29:17 AM »
Quick update...

Tonight I touched up the snow effects on the artillery pieces, and finished the mortar crew. 

Before Pic:  i didnt like how puffy and perfect looking the snow was.

After: much more messy and realistic, i think.

Now for close-ups on the artillery.

Now I just have 1 more cannon to paint.

I've also decided that my phone camera isn't doing justice to my models and the work I put into them.  I'm gonna experiment with our nice camera and some backdrops.  Seems like a lot of effort though.... oh well.

Thanks for looking
-Brian

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 01:49:40 AM »
More good effort here! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 01:37:11 PM »
Great job. Impressive artillery pieces there. The decorated bases make them come to life :eusa_clap:

Offline hamster

• Members
  • doesn't have pictures of the sprue
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 03:18:37 PM »
on one hand, 4 big guns seems a bit excessive, on the other hand, shelling your opponent into submission has worked before. Nice.
There is no wrong state to play as, except for middenland

Offline bja5006

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 05:38:59 PM »
No such thing as overkill.   

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 05:47:33 PM »
No such thing as overkill.

The only way to effectively remove an enemy😺
Very nice work on the artillery line. That extra work on the snow was worth it.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline bja5006

• Members
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2018, 05:51:35 PM »
Thanks.  I'm actually doing it to every model I've already finished, and adding more 'leaves' to everyone's base.   Guess I'm a sucker for punishment.