home

Author Topic: Gaming mats - what's your pick?  (Read 490 times)

Offline The Black Knight

Gaming mats - what's your pick?
« on: October 22, 2019, 09:27:00 PM »
Right! So since I finally have some terrain to put on my table, I've been looking at neoprene gaming mats to replace my old grass-blanket from GW.

I know there ser loads and loads of big and small companies that produce these, so I've been wondering if you guys could give me some recommendations.

I'm after a 6x4 feet greenish mat, that would fit the terrain you can see in my blog (see link in signature).

Cheers.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 10:08:01 PM by The Black Knight »
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline GamesPoet

• Happy Thanksgiving! : )
Re: Gaming mats - what's your pick?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 01:42:45 AM »
I have a nice green "grasslands" mat on neoprene.

However, can't tell ya the name of the manufacturer until I get back to my storage unit where the hobby things are.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

Offline The Black Knight

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 06:41:25 AM »
No hurry GP! I am planning to buy at the end of November, taking advantage of the Black Friday sales that usually pop up.

Online Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 06:52:32 AM »
Interesting - I looked at this a year or so ago, but never found anything I liked.

I decided I was going to physically 'see' any mat before I bought it, as I wanted something that allowed movement trays to slide fairly easily, and looked tough.
I wasn't really convinced by anything I saw at shows. And then there is the price!

Fr1day has been pleased with one - maybe search? I am certain he mentioned the source before.

In the end I have concentrated on using a painted reversible board.
Only real problem is I cannot roll it up for storage.  :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 10:38:01 AM »
No hurry GP! I am planning to buy at the end of November, taking advantage of the Black Friday sales that usually pop up.
Planning to spend some time at the storage unit this weekend, 8th weekend in a row, and will let you know what I have.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline orcyboy

• Old Orcs Never Die...
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 08:17:04 PM »
I've got a couple of the Front Line Gaming mats https://store.frontlinegaming.org/ and they are pretty alright.

I've got the desert Bad Lands and its great.  I wanted a Mojave Desert looking mat and its spot on for what a wanted.
And Ive got their Grasslands 2 mat which was a little disappointing. Its fine and it works but its a little too dark. I thing their original Grassland mat is probably the better option as it looks a little brighter.
These seem to go on sale once or twice a year so I'd suggest waiting for a sale price.

Last weekend the postman dropped off my new Static Grass mat from Killing Fields Terrain https://www.killingfieldsterrain.com/.  I can't really give a good critique on it yet as I've barely had time to open the box.  Hopefully the middle of next month I'll have time to get it out and play with it.  I can say on first inspection it looks gorgeous.

Offline The Black Knight

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 07:39:57 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations orcyboy! The frontlinegaming mats do look pretty sweet, although the shipping cost will probably sour the deal a bit (should have mentioned that I am based in Europe).

I think the policy of not buying mats before you see them is a good idea. I am pretty concerned how all these mats look irl vs online.

Does anyone have any experiences with gamemat.eu? I really fancy the "Highlands in war" mat they have https://www.gamemat.eu/en/battle-mats/6-x4-battle-mats/6-x4-g-mat-highlands-in-war.html. I've seen it being used a lot on the miniwargaming channel on youtube and it looked really good.

Offline GamesPoet

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 09:46:04 PM »
I like the looks of that Highlands in War" mat a lot, and very tempted to order one of those.  Thanks for sharing! :icon_cool:

Anyway, in my hobby storage unit as this is being typed ... here's the Grasslands mat that I have by Frontline Games, also known as an FLG Mat ...

https://store.frontlinegaming.org/frontline-gaming-flg-mats-grasslands-1-6x4.html

And this one is Grasslands 2 ... it has more rocks, if one is looking for that sort of look ...

https://store.frontlinegaming.org/flg-mats-grasslands-2-6x4.html

Offline The Black Knight

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 11:04:36 AM »
Cheers GamesPoet!

The first one looks really nice, is the green as vibrant as on the promotional pics?

As for the rocks - I am not a big fan of too cluttered mats. I feel like the objects that are meant to be 3D should be 3D in the form of scenery pieces.

I did some more reasearch and found this neat company operating from Lithuania: Deep Cut Studio. I do like the look of their forest mat: https://www.deepcutstudio.com/product/game-mat-forest/. Some other good ones there too.

Also, how cool is this?:

Makes me wanna get into an WWII aerial combat type game just to have a reason to buy this!!!

Offline GamesPoet

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 11:13:20 AM »
If I recall, it is very vibrantly green.  Haven't opened it up in a good while.  However, will double check this upcoming weekend and let ya know.

Offline The Black Knight

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 09:10:19 PM »
Well in the end I decided to go local. This Sunday I've ordered a rubber mat from a Polish brand - https://playmaty.pl/glowna/341-lesne-runo-72x48.html. I hope it looks ok IRL, I've seen some of their products and they are mostly very nice and they had a really good price. I've also grabbed a small, double sided mat for playing Malifaux.

I know they can take up to a month to deliver so it will be a while before I can share it with you guys.

Offline Artobans Ghost

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 09:50:12 PM »
Please do! I really like the look of this one. What would that cost be? Not up on polish currency 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017
Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

Mathi Alfblut Dec 9,2017
Get a binge of Yule ale, roasted boar and some proper axes and we will ALL be happy again!

GP Aug 8, 2019
Can we just take a hammer to it, smash it into little bits.

Offline The Black Knight

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 10:20:21 PM »
Heheh, can't blame you! Although I think there was a more international version of their website, that could you could navigate easier. Will have a look.

The rubber version is around 69 Euros. So pretty much what most companies ask for a 6X4 I've found. They've offered a 25% discount and free shipping during the weekend so this is what made me take the plunge. They have quite a few mats, but I find that some of them are a bit lacking when it comes to the design.

I quite like this one, but I am not sure if it won't be too busy-looking. We shall see. I guess I can just get a different one in the future. Anyways can't wait to put some terrain and models on it!

Offline Artobans Ghost

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 10:31:07 PM »
Thanks!
I like the winter reversible too.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017
Questions?

Mathi Alfblut Dec 9,2017
Get a binge of Yule ale, roasted boar and some proper axes and we will ALL be happy again!

GP Aug 8, 2019

Online Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2019, 11:22:01 PM »
I should think that, apart from White Walkers, everyone likes the winter to be reversible...
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Artobans Ghost

« Reply #15 on: Today at 11:19:39 AM »
I should think that, apart from White Walkers, everyone likes the winter to be reversible...

😸👆
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017
Questions?

Mathi Alfblut Dec 9,2017

GP Aug 8, 2019