home

Author Topic: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .  (Read 1494 times)

Offline KTG17

Re: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2019, 11:20:07 PM »
Guys, does this guy look stupid or too over the top?

I am using these guys as a template:

I am trying to mimic the crossbowman with the big feathers. I took the part from the command sprue.

I am struggling to decorate this guy up a bit. He is my unit champion. I don't want to do too much as he's running a group that isn't flashy itself, but on the other hand I want him to stand out as the champion he is. I don't have a lot of options though. I do have a smaller feather piece I could use. The two feather piece for the flat hats. I could use that instead... what do you think?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2019, 08:28:29 AM »
I think he looks great. The skirt / kilt and armoured legs will make him standout when painted. The head and feathers are fairly standard and interchangeable depending in the unit you are making. Considerng the rest of the crossbowmen there arenít a lot of feathers, I think its fine.

I like that you had inspiration though from the heraldry book!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Happy Summer! : )
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2019, 10:37:32 AM »
The skirt and armored feet have him looking different than the one pictured, but I like him anyway! :icon_biggrin:

I've always enjoyed the heraldry book, and it does have plenty for inspiration. :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

Offline Artobans Ghost

« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2019, 10:48:00 AM »
Excellent! I could take a cross bolt honourably from such soldier 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017
Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

Mathi Alfblut Dec 9,2017
Get a binge of Yule ale, roasted boar and some proper axes and we will ALL be happy again!

GP Aug 8, 2019
Can we just take a hammer to it, smash it into little bits.

Offline KTG17

« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2019, 01:09:50 PM »
Excellent! I could take a cross bolt honourably from such soldier 😺

LOL!

Okay then I will leave it. I was totally prepared this morning to read 'get rid of it'.

Yeah that book is awesome. I am using it as a reference for my Reikland and Middleheim gangs too. I can't want to show you guys what I am doing with my Reikland mercs.

I am going with Talabheim for my Empire army. Main reason I guess is that I am influenced by GW. Easy for me to get references. While I like Altdorf color scheme more, my Bretonnians are going with the blue/red scheme, and I don't want two armies being the same. I really don't like working with white or red, but its very different than all my other armies.

Offline KTG17

« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2019, 11:07:14 PM »
Ok, remember when I said I bought those 10 Skaven Plague Monks? And I picked up that extra body bit? Well, I made my Plague Priest today.

The official GW one:

And mine, made from leftover bits I don't need from my Plague Monk sprues:

I think the GW one is supposed to have some kind of Morning Star or Flail thing, so I know my staff thing doesn't look like it, but based on the bits I had and the shape of the chain, I did the best I could. Hey, its either $26 for the GW one, or $2 for what I just did. He's just going to have to use what he's got and hope for the best.

So here is my Skaven command, debating how they are going to set fire to my 6th starter containing my Empire troops.

Also, when I took the Plague Monk stuff out of my box, I set some models on the floor. One of my dogs, who loves to jump vertically crazy high, jumped up and body slammed my custom Skaven Standard Bearer I recently finished (previous page), breaking the standard from the hand, and sending the custom index finger I made off to who knows where. I did some minor surgery, and also cut down more of the banner to differentiate it from the Stormvermin one more, but I don't have it in me to make it as perfect as I had before. Dammit!

Bad dog!