home

Author Topic: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .  (Read 66992 times)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .
« Reply #275 on: November 06, 2019, 03:20:49 PM »
I like the big horns. More orky. Might spike a head on one em😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #276 on: November 06, 2019, 03:21:44 PM »
Well, there are some that say that size does not matter....
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #277 on: November 06, 2019, 04:39:20 PM »
Too early in the morning.  I am now awake, but way too much work in front of me to provide an opinion currently. :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #278 on: November 06, 2019, 11:46:13 PM »
I like the big horn head. But I also like the body with the wolf skin on the shoulders. You could always use a black orc head for an orc boss though too. How many instances of those heads do you have?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #279 on: November 07, 2019, 02:43:08 AM »
The head that is on the bearer? Two, but I am using the other as the Big Boss for my Mordheim gang. Along with another wolfskin cape body.

So until I figure out what to do with the Orcs, I am moving on to Goblins. Just finished my Battle Standard.  :icon_razz:

All it is (I THINK) is the standard from the Goblins Warrior set. I got it in that mass lot of Goblin bits some time ago to make the Gnoblar Wolf Riders. I was able to buy the bits to make the unit Champion. The Standard may not look like much, but its much nicer than the other Goblin standards I got in the Skull Pass set so I think it will work.

Still pissed off about clipping that Goblin Big Boss ear! I don't think I am done with that guy.

In other news, I ended up with a bunch of random bits from the Goblin lots, and some of them are the exact models on the Fanatic sprues. Since I didn't get the instructions, I have no idea what they are. I also got a Night Goblin riding some kind of smaller ball and chain, and a upper half of a Night Goblin doing what I have no idea. They were made of resin. No idea where they came from. But anyway, I decided to do something with them, and here is what I ended up with:

Just did it for cosmetic purposes. I figure I would litter the Goblin camp with them during a game. I have no idea the purpose of the pot, but decided to make one of the goblins look like he is brewing some crazy magic stew or something. I also added some mushrooms from other parts to put around the base. I have no idea what the snotlings (?) are for either. I thought about putting most of them on a larger, single base as their own diorama, but I thought this would be better since they all look like they are doing different things. If anyone has any idea what the heck they are all doing let me know.

The Goblin over the pot is the one that I only got a half of, and I glued him to one of the few regular Goblin legs I have. Amazing how sometimes you just have the right bits to finish a random project. Anyway, just some fun bits to add some flavor to the battlefield.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #280 on: November 07, 2019, 08:46:09 AM »
Doesn't matter where all the parts come from or what they were meant to represent. You have done great with them!

"What on earth are the snotlings doing?" must be a proverbial question in the Warhammer world. Go figure, I guess.  :-P

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #281 on: November 08, 2019, 06:40:24 PM »
lol, and thanks!

So I think I have decided on what I am going to do. I swear this journey has had a bunch of twists and turns.

First of all, I am so glad I went with the Battle Standards, I really like them. And they make sense that a General would have a personal banner or the overall army, and that's how I see it. Many of them are very dynamic looking and I think add even more character to the armies. I like them so much, that I have decided that the basis of all my armies is going to center around the General, Battle Standard, and Wizard. Regardless of army size, this is what I am doing. I know some of you have said that I have too many heros in small armies, but at the same time I have these figures and want to use them. I think they help bring character to my armies. So basically I am building my armies around these heros.

Next, while i was thinking about that to do with my Empire army, and what to mix and match, I decided I might split my Empire collection into two. Rather than doing all Talabheim, I would use the newer models I got for them, and use the older ones I have been working on for another city. Which I do not know. I have a unit of Knights of the White Wolf which I haven't assembled yet, so I though about doing a Middleheim one, but at the same time I have a lot of leftover bitz of blackpowder weapons as was thinking maybe Nuln? I am not sure. I have the Hellblaster, which I want Talabheim to have, and then a Great Cannon and Mortar. Kind of struggling how to split those up. I don't know.

What I do know is that I am not crazy about having everything Talabheim. Just going with the newer models I have about 800 points of minis before adding equipment and magic items which is close to what I had previously set out to do. And as I have been buying more and more, I have blown way past 1000 points for some armies. The problem is, some armies, especially my themed ones, are more around 700 points like the Gnoblar and Marauders, and I have zero interest in making them larger. So I went back and see if I could divide some of the collections up and I think I can.

So what I plan on doing is going back to smaller armies, centered around the heros, built around a theme. In the case of my Chaos and Dark Elves, I plan to make pure Chaos Warrior and pure Marauder armies with their own heros, and then a standard army theme for Dark Elves, and then another based around fast-hitting Corsair raiders. Of course for larger games I could mix and match, but for the purposes of finalizing a group of models to build and paint, I thought I would do this. That way rather than just painting endless units and not knowing where they will go, I can use the models to carry the theme. At least that is the plan anyway. And in the case of the Dark Elf Corsair army, I have the Corsair commander guy, who I really had no place for in my army - I only got him because he was cheap and an interesting model. But now he will lead two units of Corsairs and some Dark Riders, among other things that fit that theme, as opposed a mix-match of various Dark Elf units. And, it will help me have a beginning and ending for each group to focus on, and having a lot of variety.

So back to smaller armies, but with more focus on theme. I think its pretty exciting.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 06:50:52 PM by KTG17 »

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #282 on: November 09, 2019, 05:11:38 AM »
Lol I just counted up all my new Empire models and they come to 900 points before magic items. So I guess I am back to 1000 point armies.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #283 on: November 09, 2019, 07:08:26 AM »
Ah, but with two Empire armies, the disease has obviously taken hold. :icon_wink:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #284 on: November 09, 2019, 01:33:33 PM »
Smaller armies let you focus on theme. I like the approach. Theme is what kept me interested in WHFB as long as it did / does....
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #285 on: November 09, 2019, 01:41:02 PM »
That is a good style, and a good way to put it, Warlord. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #286 on: November 09, 2019, 09:33:31 PM »
GP that's funny about the disease taking hold. I do still would like some Flagellants.

So remember my custom Runesmith?

Well, now he's a Battle Standard.

I used two banner tops to do this. You know how the kits give you two options for a unit? Well, I just carved them up to mount the head-looking thing on top of the flag pole. Neither one on it's own was blingy enough considering the size of some of my other Dwarf standards.

I had ever intention of giving him a leftover shield I have, but then read in RH that the standard bearers can't have that equipment. But there was a loop looking thing on his waist so I decided to pretend it was something to carry his axe with. Who knows, maybe that is what it's for I don't know. But I like it!

So here are the leaders of my Dwarfs.

I have to be honest I saw GW's plastic Runesmith and will get that at some point to make up for the one I just lost. I thought about buying an actual standard guy off Ebay, but it was either $1.40 for the bits or like $30 for an official one. I went with the $1.40 because that frees up cash for something like this guy:

My Wood Elf Battle Standard. Everything is coming together.  :::cheers:::

Oh, and speaking of Dwarves, the Warden King is haunting me and I really want it. Looks awesome. I thought about getting that and either using the one above or him for the leader of my Mordheim Treasure Hunters. No hurry on that though.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 09:36:43 PM by KTG17 »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #287 on: November 10, 2019, 01:33:55 AM »
Warden King?

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #288 on: November 10, 2019, 01:41:07 AM »
Warden King?

AoS replacement for wfb hero.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Cèsar de Quart

• Members
« Reply #289 on: November 10, 2019, 11:07:12 AM »
So my Empire General was really bugging me and I had to do something. The legs on the guy are pretty static, and look fine from the front, but my guy was looking off to the side, and his feet both facing 45 degrees to the left looked dumb. So I carefully cut off his right foot and re-attached it at an angle. Came out pretty good.

Much better. Subtle, but it looks more natural. I would have gone further, but where the foot goes the knee kind of follows so I didn't want to over do it. Now I am really excited about the guy.

Also, I have had some problems with Standard Bearers falling over. I struggled to find some kind of weight to put under the stand and considered everything from magnets to sinkers, but at Home Depot today decided on washers. They come in all sizes and I got perfect fits for the 20mm base and the 25mm bases. Spray painted black and they will hardly be noticed.

I say hardly noticed because despite what is going on top of the base, what is under it bothers me too.

I have always been on the fence with this guy. I disliked almost everything about his design; I hated his proportions and oversized boots, I didn't like the head expression or the limited helmet options, the poses were very limited, the armour looks wonky and not at all (NOT AT ALL) what an Imperial general should be sporting... And no fur cloak option to make him into a Knights Panther or White Wolves Grandmaster? The only things I liked were the nice flowing cape (beautifully sculpted) and the fact that we got to have a plastic Runefang. That rocks.

And the horse, the horse was the most amazing horse I had ever seen for Warhammer.

Regardless, I'm sad they took him out of stock. RIP Imperial General.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #290 on: November 10, 2019, 01:36:21 PM »
Yeah I know what you mean about some of the parts, and the reason I didn’t buy him early on was that he his style really didn’t fit with the other models I had at the time, the vintage models. He almost looks kind of cartoony. Then again, I think most of the newer models do. It wasn’t until I got that lot that contained the horse and some of his parts did I start to appreciate him more, and at first it was to use for Mordheim.

But once I decided to get all the newer Empire models I was all in on the guy as now I felt my older heros didn’t match the style of the newer units! He is def bulky too. But he makes up for it with that crazy hat, the crow, and some other things. It’s a shame they discontinued him because kits like his and the Elf Noble give you some nice options, where as the Sigmar Free People’s General guy is really terrible and has no horse option.

I wish they had made these General/Standard kits for all the races.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #291 on: November 11, 2019, 01:40:44 PM »
I wish they had made these General/Standard kits for all the races.

Me too. Only Empire, Orcs, and High Elves. High Elves actually got two sets - one hero and one wizard, both foot and mounted in a box.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #292 on: November 11, 2019, 03:13:15 PM »
Finally got around to finishing my High Elf General!

So same guy, on foot, horse, and griffon. I will do the same for my latest Empire General eventually. I am unsure on which shield to use for the Elf. The shield on the back of the general on the griffon is pretty plain looking, and looks like a regular spearman shield, which I do have, but I thought I would use something a little more blingy. The other shield the Nobel kit comes with is better, but its kinda too fancy.

I have to admit, I know it makes for a nice model, but I am not 100% crazy about the smoke effect under the mage. My view is that if all the models had fancy bases, I would do it for all. But I just don't have many that have this so I am not sure if one day I try to get rid of it. I don't know. I also did without the fallen building piece for the general's horse for the same reason, although I do have an extra horse if I want to go back and include it.

I have a complicated plan for the Wood Elves, Dark Elves, and Chaos Warriors so they might take a bit. I am also looking for a Chaos Marauder-looking sorcerer. The Chaos one I have (the latest plastic one) I think is too fancy for them. I am looking for a model with furs or some kind of rougher shaman-like look. I was thinking of using some Flagellant bits to do it. We'll see.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 03:15:18 PM by KTG17 »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #293 on: November 14, 2019, 05:01:44 AM »
Nice one.

I agree with you about the smoke effect.

I am
Excited to see what you do for a marauder shaman.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #294 on: November 14, 2019, 06:16:49 PM »
Thanks!

Yeah really excited about what I am doing with the Marauders as a whole. Thinking of assembling that army next.

I need some help with the Empire Great Cannon and Mortar pieces.

So I am not sure what all the pole-like parts are for. Like I know the ramrod like thing with the cushy end would be for ramming the powder and ball down the barrel, but what about the shovel looking thing (which would be the top most pole looking part molded in the hand to the right. There is one without a hand molded to it below it, and then what looks like a smaller ramrod. I know that isn't the right name but its what I got in my head at the moment.

But most importantly, I am not sure what my crews should use when placed with the mortar or cannon.

Now the little treasure chest... tools? Gun powder? What about the barrel? I know the bucket is for cooling off the inside of the barrel before reloading, but I am also not sure which of the ramrod ones would do that. Since there are two different sizes.

Thanks!

Offline Cèsar de Quart

• Members
« Reply #295 on: November 14, 2019, 09:20:37 PM »
So I am not sure what all the pole-like parts are for. Like I know the ramrod like thing with the cushy end would be for ramming the powder and ball down the barrel, but what about the shovel looking thing (which would be the top most pole looking part molded in the hand to the right. There is one without a hand molded to it below it, and then what looks like a smaller ramrod. I know that isn't the right name but its what I got in my head at the moment.

But most importantly, I am not sure what my crews should use when placed with the mortar or cannon.

Now the little treasure chest... tools? Gun powder? What about the barrel? I know the bucket is for cooling off the inside of the barrel before reloading, but I am also not sure which of the ramrod ones would do that. Since there are two different sizes.

Thanks!

The small pole shovel is to add gunpower into the barrel of the gun. The chests usually contain cannonballs while the barrels hold the gunpowder.

As for "what should the crews do", I prefer to have them performing some fun little theatre piece. The "Engineer is drunk again!" act, or the "Careful, the gunpower's gonna blow!" act, or the "let's all just have a rest and smoke some gunpower", my favourite.

Cannon crews are a golden opportunity to add some of that ol' wacky chaeracter Warhammer had in spades and now only the Gobbos still have in AoS.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #296 on: November 14, 2019, 11:26:41 PM »
The two upper poles are sponges (identified by the fleece at the end) used to clean the cannon after discharge. The one immediatey below, as CdQ indicates, is a lantern or ladle, used to bring powder into the cannon. Below that, there are two rammers, for driving home the powder and ball into the breech, separated by the (two-pronged) linstock, which holds the match for firing the cannon. Often, the sponge and rammer were combined, one at each end of a pole.
The barrel is, as CdG says, a powder barrel, but I doubt the box is a cannon ball box. As you can see here, boxes could be used for gun powder bags, but they would tend to be bigger. Given the size of the box, I suspect it just contains minor equipment for the cannon.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #297 on: November 19, 2019, 01:18:44 AM »
Thanks guys!

I've made a rather large and somewhat embarrassing purchase, which I am happy about, just still stunned how deep I am getting into all this. Anyway, more details to come.

In the meantime, I've been working on some other projekts. As usual WFB has a lot of competition.

Some more Yamato ships from their Mecha Collection. Some of them came with smaller ships.

This red ship has some history. I got it as a birthday gift when I was a little kid from my sister who overheard some of my friends say it was stupid, and her feelings were hurt and she told me about it later. I was head over heels for this stuff just as much back then as I am now, and assured her I loved it. Well, decades later I found another and bought it for old times sakes, and when I showed it to her, she had no memory of getting it the first time.  :icon_surprised:

And this one has been one of my favorites from this series since I saw it. These kits are only about 4 inches or so long.

Along time ago I was buying up miniature games left and right. And usually they centered around a starter set (I rarely get into games without one), and some decently sized armies to tinker with. Well back in the day I got Void 1.1. There has been three very similar editions of the game, the first being the Blue Rulebook, the second being the Purple Rulebook, and the third being the Gamebox Edition. When Void first got started there weren't very many models and the story was crafted in such a way that one army could borrow units from another that would have filled a similar spot in that army.

Anyway, as the game got more popular, more resources were put into it and they eventually gave the same army book treatment GW gave 40k and WFB. Around the time the game started diving. Ironically when there were much more and diverse models than it started with.

But the armies were getting goofy. The Viridians started riding dinosaurs when though they were equipped with power armor and flew hovercrafts. The Junkers were like roman gladiators meets Madmax.

My heart is with the Purple Rulebook and the limited number of models, and I picked up all of the starter army sets they released at the time, plus or minus a few figs. Anyway, aside from basing them (giving them the Warmachine Base Treatment, and adding some texture to them, I literally have done nothing with them for almost 10 years. Well, I was re-organizing my stuff, bumped into the Gamebox Starter set, and decided to work on them a bit. Which means priming them lol. So below are the little armies I have which are all in the same point total.

The Viridians, who are your basic vanilla army or powered suit marines. In the fluff I believe all of the human armies were once part of Viridia before they broke off.

Junkers, who reign on a harsh desert world. Lots of Roman influence on these guys. And mostly armed with short range weapons. There is a character model who is known as an Enforcer who's job it is to shoot a soldier who's unit fails morale, putting them back in line.

Syntha - Basically your cyborgs. Models aren't the greatest, but they have some neat elements. The vehicle in the back is a hoverbike I haven't based yet.

VASA - who are some governing body who try to oversee and manage some kind of peace I believe, but don't hold me that, its been awhile since I read up on all this. They have a really small army because the ones with the staffs and weird backpacks are really expensive. They are basically like jump packs.

The last one are a Koraline (I think I got that right) - The only alien army in the game. The original version of these guys depicted snake-like aliens who would augment captured humans to use as various slave warriors. Once their army book went out they went from a sci-fi theme to one of absolute horror. Gross to the point I didn't want any of them.

But even still, the original ones are really strange too. Like these assault guys with the little legs!

Weird!

Anyway, more on my WFB in a bit. Going to be busy the next couple of weeks so prob wont have much to offer till Dec.

AND I KNOW YOU WANT TO SEE SOMETHING PAINTED AS OPPOSED TO PRIMED! I MOVE REALLY SLOW ON THAT. I guess I like assembling more than I do painting.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 01:27:26 AM by KTG17 »

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #298 on: November 19, 2019, 03:46:20 AM »
Has anyone ever been part of or seen a Vampire Counts vs Tomb Kings? Was that fun or what.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #299 on: November 19, 2019, 05:50:35 AM »
Love the short glimpses into your hobby and some less known games/minis!

I've got a bunch of the lizard-riding guys from Void. Junkers? A bit goofy models as you said. There are some unopened blisters free for taking at the local club, but no-one wants them. Not a popular brand at all over here.

A little bit of the same with Warzone, another competitor to 40K. Got Bauhaus an Cybertron for that game. Never played though.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.