home

Author Topic: Unbalanced, really?  (Read 69 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Happy Summer! : )
Unbalanced, really?
« on: August 15, 2019, 12:52:59 AM »
So I went into a local hobby shop today, and the store employee said W:AoS currently has an unbalanced set of rules.

Was he correct :icon_question:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

Offline Victor

• A.E.I.O.U.
Re: Unbalanced, really?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 11:10:22 AM »
Warhammer in the past has always been unbalanced, so where does your surprise come from?  :-P
(I'm not actually familiar with any of the new rules)

Offline GamesPoet

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 11:29:13 AM »
No surprise here.

Although I am curious as to what the W:AoS crowd has to say?

(GP ... crowd might be an overstatement.)

Good point.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Artobans Ghost

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 12:28:07 PM »
Not that I have much experience but I think the rules are ok but the army books make tier 1,2,3 level armies. Much like the previous warhammer when it comes to tournaments. With open and narrative games, anything goes. I have the old greenskins, skaven/beastman, devoted of Sigmar, and starting a stormcast army. Only the stormcast has a chance of tier one but not the way Iím making it.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017
Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

Mathi Alfblut Dec 9,2017
Get a binge of Yule ale, roasted boar and some proper axes and we will ALL be happy again!

GP Aug 8, 2019
Can we just take a hammer to it, smash it into little bits.

Offline Gankom

• The World Builder
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 02:53:36 PM »
Eh like Victor said, it's a warhammer game. I personally think the balance is okay. It's better then some previous editions but can still use some work. Most armies I see all do decently against each other, but like usual theres some builds that will be like fighting a wood chipper unless you planned specifically for it.

Now internal balance within army books is a separate thing, and again that's hit or miss. Some are generally real good and have multiple build styles (like some of the dead people and ghosties.), some are constantly mixed up because of new additions kinda killing old choices (Hello stormcasts).

Offline GamesPoet

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 03:11:21 PM »
Well this store employee's opinion was only one.  I figured asking here I'd get a more well rounded viewpoint.

One issue I am having with getting into it, is that there seems like too much to keep up with, that it is constantly changing.  Or is that the wrong sense :icon_question:

Offline Gankom

• The World Builder
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 04:13:53 PM »
I'd say their definitely changing a lot more then they did previously. They seem to have been really inspired by 'living' rulesets other companies to. To a large degree it's mostly fluff and lore. Each 'expansion' adds a fair bit of new stuff but most of it's not mandatory. If your getting competitive it might be, or at least some way to mitigate new stuff might be, but my local group essentially plays with the same rules that came out last year regardless of the newer stuff.

Also the vast majority of rules are free online.

The big change that might throw you is that the timeline essentially moves forward with each new expansion, unlike old warhammer. No more trapped in the same period before the End Times. Now we've gone through the Realmgate wars, into the opening of the Soul Wars, and now whatever this next phase is called.

Offline GamesPoet

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 04:26:20 PM »
I picked up some sort of army book for the Light faction (or whatever it is called), and noticed a ton of units that have now had their models discontinued.  Maybe that is all part of the changes, yet wondering how a person that is new to the system can keep up or figure out what is needed if they tried.