home

Author Topic: Last of the Star Wars Nine Arrives: "The Rise of Skywalker" ... spoilers!  (Read 2265 times)

Offline patsy02

• Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
Re: Last of the Star Wars Nine Arrives: "The Rise of Skywalker" ... spoilers!
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2020, 01:45:25 PM »
The most baffling thing is that they clearly just winged the plot. No planning, just write some shit and put it in theatres on schedule.

I blame nerds.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline KTG17

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2020, 03:29:58 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/saltierthancrait/comments/eisnd8/heres_what_ive_been_told_from_a_source_that/

Some interesting details of what went on behind the scenes. Looks like you can blame Disney execs.

I have heard here and there that the actors in this Trilogy were done with Star Wars, and its not because its the end of the Trilogy. Disney could always start another or do a one-off - but apparently the actors and JJ are really close and they all hate what Disney did. The film in the theaters is not the film that JJ intended. Not that I care, TLJ just ruined further what TFA started, but I feel bad about corporate execs stepping in to play it safe and even cater to China as opposed to allowing for creativity. Anyway, what a cluster f*** of an ending to a great story.

I assume Baby Yoda will be front and center of a new Trilogy, and since the dude can live like 600 years, they can zoom way past the events of the last Trilogy and pretend they didn't happen. The Mandalorian has pretty much been the Star Wars everyone wanted, and it was done by the Marvel guys. Either they pick up the torch going forward or who knows.

Pretty interesting reading. And the comments say a lot about how Disney failed.

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Summer has arrived! : )
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2020, 04:04:58 PM »
Well if that stuff is true, no wonder it seemed to me as if there were unsmooth transitions.

To have a director's creativity cut, as that is describing, seems ridiculous, and a case of too many cooks spoiling the brew.

Perhaps we'll be able to see the original cut one day.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2020, 02:13:23 AM »
The Mandalorian has pretty much been the Star Wars everyone wanted, and it was done by the Marvel guys. Either they pick up the torch going forward or who knows.

Not entirely true. Dave Filoni did the Clone Wars and Rebels series, and they were high quality - just often dismissed because they were animated. He knows how to look after Star Wars, and it shows as a consistent story as opposed to just mashing it together like the trilogy.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2020, 01:01:12 PM »
I love what Filoni did with the Clone Wars and Rebels. They were REAL Star Wars.

I just wish there had been a way to bring Ashoka Tano to life even in the non-cartoon part of Star Wars. She is just one of the coolest and most interesting characters with some great character development. I just really want to know what became of her.

It seems as if Disney Exec screwed things up majorly.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Rowsdower

• Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2020, 01:35:13 AM »
I love what Filoni did with the Clone Wars and Rebels. They were REAL Star Wars.

I just wish there had been a way to bring Ashoka Tano to life even in the non-cartoon part of Star Wars. She is just one of the coolest and most interesting characters with some great character development. I just really want to know what became of her.

It seems as if Disney Exec screwed things up majorly.

I've been selling off my old star wars stuff. The most in demand items are the E.U sith lords. I don't know WHY Disney isn't doing anything with them

Offline Padre

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2020, 06:46:11 AM »
Saw the film yesterday with my 9 year old. It was his first ever Star Wars film. (I was 10 when I saw my first in 1977!) He loved it and, despite fully expecting not to, so did I.

Whilst watching it, and without thinking too hard, a whole bunch of stuff just fell into place for me about the Star wars universe.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2020, 05:21:58 PM »
Well, we have it now from an impeccable source that Star Wars (in particular the music) is racist: https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/12/23/how-star-wars-reinforces-our-prejudices/

Shame on all those who enjoyed it!
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2020, 08:43:27 AM »
I feel impure! What can I do to attone for these sins I have unwillingly commited!

Thing is, I highly doubt that many of the movie goers even recognize "Ah, that is a piece of oriental music!"

Also, seems we of the west should not try to learn about Zen, Taoism or such things as Yin and Yang because we sully them. We should just stick with our own stuff and stay true...

WTF.... Does he really want to create the same world that Hitler dreamed about? Dr Goebbels would have gotten and huge boner reading this piece that he could have easily used in his propaganda to claim that Nazism was in fact doing good by keeping other peoples cultures "pure".

I need more coffee to digest this.

When I hear Imperial Marsch I for one think about highly militaristic marsches and fascism, NOT some oriental overlord.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2020, 11:32:40 AM »
My sense is people are going to read into the story what they want to read into it, and forget it is a sci-fi fantasy.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2020, 03:17:31 PM »
Well, we have it now from an impeccable source that Star Wars (in particular the music) is racist: https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/12/23/how-star-wars-reinforces-our-prejudices/

Shame on all those who enjoyed it!

I need more coffee to digest this.

Nah, its all bullshit.

When I hear Imperial Marsch I for one think about highly militaristic marsches and fascism, NOT some oriental overlord.
Which was the whole idea of the Empire to begin with and John Williams encapsulated that with the Imperial march. It sounds militaristic, fascist, and sinister, while also being kind of bad ass.

My sense is people are going to read into the story what they want to read into it, and forget it is a sci-fi fantasy.

Pretty much. Plus it sells clicks to get people to read these things and seem like there is controversy when there really isn't. Drama is always trending, so better make some up to get people to read my stuff.
"Find him, bind him, tie him to a pole and break his fingers to splinters. Drag him to a hole until he wakes up, naked, clawing at the ceiling of his grave."- Mother in "The Mariner's Revenge Song" to her son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPAr7kL-

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2020, 03:24:22 PM »
Pretty much. Plus it sells clicks to get people to read these things and seem like there is controversy when there really isn't. Drama is always trending, so better make some up to get people to read my stuff.
:::cheers:::

Sells clicks? Oh no, not that again.  Imagine that, the new age media bozos selling things to make money.  And whether it's true or not.  That would never happen. :icon_lol:

Offline KTG17

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2020, 03:46:31 PM »
I feel impure! What can I do to attone for these sins I have unwillingly commited!

LOL

• Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2020, 04:38:46 PM »

I guess, they help to swamp the enemy on the attack, or bog him down on the defence...
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

• His Royal Highness
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2020, 07:29:49 PM »
"Find him, bind him, tie him to a pole and break his fingers to splinters. Drag him to a hole until he wakes up, naked, clawing at the ceiling of his grave."- Mother in "The Mariner's Revenge Song" to her son.

Offline S.O.F

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2020, 03:19:06 AM »
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

• Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2020, 01:03:11 PM »

• Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2020, 01:03:46 PM »

• His Royal Highness
I wasn't a fan of The Rise of Skywalker, but sometimes good things can come out of disasters, and sometimes from an unlikely place.

For example in the novelization of the film, they explain how Palpatine ends up in episode 9. He's a clone. Thats a bit easier to swallow than not having died. But the junior novelization explains (retcons) what rule of 2 actually is. Now I pulled this from an article so I have not read either novelizations, but I have to say I rather like this retcon.

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/star-wars-sith-lords-rule-of-two-retcon-rise-of-skywalker/

Basically the Jedi think the rule of 2 means there are only 2 Siths, ever, at any given time. But that's what the Sith wants them to think, they've cultivated that assumption. The rule of 2 in reality is the rule of only 2 Sith Lords (a master and an apprentice) to prevent infighting or else nothing gets done. They are to be the tip of the Sith iceberg, being the only thing seen by others outside of the Sith (which explains what the Jedi thinks it means). The rest of the sith are acolytes, agents, soldiers, cultists, etc. I liken it to Warhammer 40k's genestealer cults (in a hierarchical way, not biologically, that would be insane). With the Leader being the Patriarch (The Lord of the Sith) and his second in command the Magus or Primus (the sith apprentice fills both of these roles) with the rest of the cult is made up of worshipers, soldiers, newcomers and descendants of those that have been apart of the organization since its inception that infiltrate society and allow the leaders to pull the strings when needed. In the movie it explains why there are sith cultists and shock troops on that secret sith planet. It would also explain in Rebels where those Inquistors came from as well as how the Emperor could control everything (all the way down to Admiral Pryde in The Rise of Skywalker).

I like this retcon because it makes the Sith more devious and a larger threat than previously perceived, not to mention narratively flexible for future stories (even if we go back to old republic and old old republic). It also seems to be more believable on how Palpatine took over and held control of the galaxy and how his death, along with his apprentice, would cause such disorganization in the empire. At least until his clone was activated and he started orchestrating his return with the First and Last Orders. It doesn't excuse the movie(s) at all, but I like that this retcon opens some doors that felt shut/pandering from the movies.