home

Author Topic: 100 Days of Hobby for 2021 … And Beyond ...  (Read 2259 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: 100 Days of Hobby for 2021
« Reply #225 on: April 03, 2021, 01:23:22 PM »
Friday ... Day 89 ... more work on my friends WW2 rules for another two hours.  We're close to having them done and releasing them next week.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Europe, Finland
« Reply #226 on: April 03, 2021, 10:12:13 PM »
Been too busy with the hobby to update here. :-)

Mar 28 - Finished painting the cannon; some greenstuff work.

Mar 29 - Finished painting an Arab warrior; did bases for two small boardgame ships.

Mar 30 - Worked on a (Dwarf) Ribaudequin = organ gun.

Mar 31 - Took on the 17 Empire swordsmen in earnest; greenstuff work on various minis; mid-greens on 10 snotlings.

Apr 1 - Finally finished painting the 17 swordsmen; painted an Empire spearman; painted a Grenadier warhorse, making it a bronze statue. First time trying out verdigris.

Apr 2 - Dug out other half-finished Empire minis. Finished nine archers, a champion, a muleskinner, HQ Orc/Zombie, and a Reaper spider.

Apr 3 - Basecoated one Empire spearman.

A week to go, and I'm asking myself if I can make it to 100 models/terrain pieces in 100 days. This would require finishing another 16 models in a week. But I'm counting the snotlings individually, so it's entirely doable. :-)

-Z
Forget the 6'x4' game, focus on the story beyond that. Because fantasy matters.

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #227 on: April 03, 2021, 11:23:34 PM »
Oh that would be quite the accomplishment.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #228 on: April 03, 2021, 11:29:45 PM »
Saturday ... Day 90 ... another two hours of effort with my friend and his upcoming WW2 rules which is being released very soon.

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #229 on: April 04, 2021, 04:24:06 PM »
Sunday ... Day 91 ... painted flesh on 11 more WotRs figures this morning.

We have a wonderful Easter weather today, just lovely. :icon_biggrin:

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Europe, Finland
« Reply #230 on: April 04, 2021, 08:27:27 PM »
Apr 4 - Finished ten Snotlings & a converted Empire spearman.

Almost there... :-)

-Z

Offline TaraGreen

« Reply #231 on: April 04, 2021, 09:19:28 PM »

No pics?

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #232 on: April 05, 2021, 12:23:00 PM »
Sunday ... Day 91 ... painted flesh on 11 more WotRs figures this morning.

We have a wonderful Easter weather today, just lovely. :icon_biggrin:
Forgot to mention ... that I also did some reading on the Corvus Cabal warband for Warcry.  The idea was to determine how I might set these up for game play.  Got out a box lid and will begin to lay out the parts for the other figures soon.  I am contemplating using some of the tiny magnets I have for the weapon arms, although with how intricate those were for the Shrike talon, not sure magnetizing will be possible.  Need to further check out the rules again in relation to how these figures perform as well.

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
Re: 100 Days of Hobby for 2021 …
« Reply #233 on: April 06, 2021, 03:02:24 AM »
Monday ... Day 92 ... opted not for the box lid mentioned above.  Instead, a small plastic case with multiple compartments for dividing up hobby things.  I clipped off all the parts.  When I started it was sort of like matching what seemed to make sense.  Then I noticed the numbers on the sprue, and found that most of the numbers that were closest to each other seemed to belong together.  And so they were all separated into compartments, until I have more time and energy to see how they can be glued together.

This is really turning into quite the project, and here I thought with only 9 figures, or there about, that these would go together quickly, and I could prime and get painting.  Perhaps the hardest part is not having an instruction sheet, and so the challenge is upon me.  I didn't like models when I was a youngster, and honestly don't like them now.  Except now I have the wisdom of patience, and persistence, and perseverance.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 04:29:43 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #234 on: April 07, 2021, 03:52:22 AM »
Tuesday ... Day 93 ... painted flesh on 20 more WotRs  archers, for Warwick's retinue.  It was rapid, not worrying about staying in the lines, moving quickly to get the most out of the paint thinned.  It felt good. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 04:29:56 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline TaraGreen

« Reply #235 on: April 07, 2021, 06:16:23 PM »
1 week to go, GP!  :::cheers:::

I'd love to see pics of your work though.

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #236 on: April 07, 2021, 07:13:06 PM »
Yep, some day I'll get my website organized properly, download some more photos to it, and then start posting pictures here from my site as host for the photos.  Been saying that for a year, and probably need to get crackin' on it.

Some times I show things at the W-E Greet & paint via Zoom, currently at the end of each month.  I'd also like to make a tally lsit of all that was done during this last 100 days, although don't know if I'll take time to do that.

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #237 on: April 08, 2021, 04:30:40 AM »
Wednesday ... Day 94 ... spent some time organizing some thigns in the hobby room.  It was great to be using my new rolling plastic drawers for storing 25/28mm figures.  I can even see into it before opening which compartment that I need items from.  It is nice to have more organization and storage. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 04:30:17 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Europe, Finland
« Reply #238 on: April 08, 2021, 08:02:46 AM »
No pics?

Haven't had the time. Concentrating on painting.

Apr 5 - Basecoated two trees. Tried the ArmyPainter Quickshade. Awful stuff, shiny and not water soluble. Probably an old bottle, but I DID stir it very well. Dunno what to do with it.

Apr 6 - Painting the two trees & an old Treeman.

Apr 7 - Continued painting the two trees & an old Treeman. Mosses and lichen.

Trying to finish the three today & take photos of everything.

-Z
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 08:11:49 PM by Zygmund »

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Europe, Finland
« Reply #239 on: April 08, 2021, 08:28:21 PM »
Apr 8 - Finished the two trees & the old treeman.

And here is a backlog of minis painted recently, beginning from March.

The Savage Orc Boyz:

Old Troll:

Reaper Werearmadillo:

Reaper Orcs:

Stirland midget:

Scotia Grendel Stables:

Reaper Arab warrior & boardgame ships:

Empire cannon, Mithril Lorien Elf, Reaper rats:

Empire Swordsmen:

Empire Archers:

Empire odds & ends, with a couple of critters:

Snotlings:

-Z

Offline Artobans Ghost

« Reply #240 on: April 08, 2021, 10:14:16 PM »
Awesome! ☝️
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #241 on: April 09, 2021, 04:27:12 AM »
So much good stuff there!  I really like the old treeman, and those Imperial archers. :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #242 on: April 09, 2021, 04:38:50 AM »
Thursday ... Day 95 ... after Wednesday's organizing, Thursday evening brought setting up the Lion Rampant army lists for the game set up for this upcoming Saturday morning.   The army lists being used are Flemish & French vs. Early English and German.

The story is centered during the middle of the medieval era.  The English have come to the north of France, and they are attempting to join with the Germans before turning to go after the French.  The French have encouraged the Flemish to join them, and are racing to see if they can keep the English and Germans from meeting up.  However, the Flemish & French are cutting it close, and so they have reached a point where they both are near each other, but the English & Germans have still arrived at both ends of their side of the battle field.  And now the French & Flemish have little time remaining to keep the English & Germans from joining up.

This scenario is very similar to the one played in February with my nephews, except this time the Flemish and Germans start on the table, and the battle moves forward from there.  This will lessen all the lead up that those two armies did getting on to the board and should make for a more exciting game across the whole board.  The field of battle includes a stream with bridge and ford, a two roads coming together at a T-section, and ridges running along the back of where the French are, and across the table in the back of English position.  Meanwhile, between the Flemish and Germans are some farm houses and crop fields to contend with.  The day of battle si almost here :icon_exclaim:

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #243 on: April 10, 2021, 11:52:58 AM »
Friday ... Day 96 ... having participated in both of the Baron's war kickstarters, I had a pile of figure packs from these, and they have now been sorted into to units in a Lion Rampant style format, 12 or 6.  These figures don't look tough to paint and so I am looking forward to doing them a unit at a time, and eventually start using them for the Baron's War rules as well, so probably singly based.

Today ... Day 97 ... have a game of Lion Rampant lined up for this morning at 9am with two friends of mine and a nephew via zoom.  It'll be a good time! :::cheers:::

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Europe, Finland
« Reply #244 on: April 10, 2021, 08:51:47 PM »
Apr 9 - Prepped & converted eight Corsairs of Umbar. With turbans, they will become historical Barbary coast pirates.

Apr 10 - Day 100 of the year & my hobby challenge. Painted an Empire General mtd & on foot, making the total of painted minis & terrain to 100.

It's approaching midnight here. The kids are asleep. I'm painting highlights on yellow and red cloth. And pondering this hundred days of hobby and what it meant to me. It actually meant a lot. I really found my love of painting and got over my typical procrastination and the feeling of unaccomplishment.

I hobbied for 95 days, and directly worked with building, painting or converting minis or terrain for 73 days, the rest being cleaning, arrangements, taking care of my gear, and selling excess minis. Pushed my limits here and there, and never really went for quantity instead of quality. Also got plenty of prepped and half-finished models & terrain still to continue the journey.

And here we are now:

Thank you, GP & TaraGreen, for this trip!  :mellow:

-Z

Offline Artobans Ghost

« Reply #245 on: April 10, 2021, 08:57:05 PM »
Great accomplishment!
Way to go Z 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
« Reply #246 on: April 10, 2021, 09:35:56 PM »
Wow!  That is awesome Zyg.

And Zyg is correct ... today is Day 100!  Somehow I must not have changed the number count correctly.

I'm psyched!  What a great way to end the 100 days ... I got in a game of Lion Rampant this morning with two friends and a nephew.  And now I am working on the step pyramid this afternoon and probably after dinner too.

Thanks for participating folks!  A big round of applause for everyone! :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

I am interested in going back and figuring out what my full effort was all about too, although not sure if I'll make myself do that or not.

Regardless ... I've gotten lots of things moving forward, and with 100 Days in a row for me, I'm going to keep going and see how long I can keep the streak moving along.

Cahcoo! :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
Re: 100 Days of Hobby for 2021 … And Beyond ...
« Reply #247 on: Today at 11:29:13 AM »
Ok ... so I amended the thread title, and off I go.

- - - - - -

So ... it is day 101 ... and I have already been awake and working on the gluing foam pieces of the step pyramid together.  Been using clamps with thin boards between those and the foam, and "Gorilla Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive".  Yesterday I glued the four corner pieces to thin 12"x12" boards being used as a base, but two of them didn't set completely over night.  This morning I added some more of the adhesive, added some of the first "arches" to two of the corner pieces, and then set the clamps again.  This is build is going to be a slow process, although I can keep it running along a bit each day, and do other projects along side of it.  That'll keep me going for awhile. :icon_mrgreen: 
« Last Edit: Today at 03:06:44 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Artobans Ghost

Re: 100 Days of Hobby for 2021 And Beyond ...
« Reply #248 on: Today at 12:36:20 PM »
Way to go!!!
Ya, gorilla glue is great but it takes along time to cure. I use all the time at work.
Happy one hundredth!😺

And 1
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
Re: 100 Days of Hobby for 2021 And Beyond ...
« Reply #249 on: Today at 03:09:10 PM »
Had heard somewhere that the Gorilla construction adhesive is one of the best for gluing foam board, except that it takes 24 hours to cure/set.

It also is good that it doesn't set immediately because this allows for small adjustments if necessary.

However, I might have used too little glue as well.