home

Author Topic: Empire Paint Template  (Read 13210 times)

Offline Racticas

• Members
  • The Anti-moderator
Empire Paint Template
« on: September 12, 2005, 05:46:55 PM »
As requested, I've made a black-and white picture that can be colored in simple programs such as Paint to try out Empire color schemes.  Those interested, follow the links below:

This is the Black and White template itself:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/bdeitrick/EmpirePaintTemplate.gif

Here's an example of it colored in with paint:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/bdeitrick/Sample.gif

Here's an example where I printed it out and colored it by hand:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/bdeitrick/Reikland1.jpg

If you can't see them, tell me; also tell me if you need them emailed to you.
The image is a full-page size.  If you open it with paint and fill in colors, you can save as, close, and reopen it to view the image normally.
Quote from: Atchman
He isn't afraid at all to try new things, sometimes with terrible results.  :roll:

Offline General Helstrom

• The Old Ones
  • Members
  • Chicks dig moustaches
Empire Paint Template
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 06:49:17 PM »
Great work, Racticas! As soon as we get out of this whole campaign business we'll get to work on further updating the Library and War Room, which will include your stuff in a nice permanent spot. Cheers!
I don't know what Caesar thought when he got to the Ides of March
Don't know what Houdini bought when he went to the store
But I sure do miss the eighties

Offline bloodbawler

• Members
  • Baron of Wildenlack
Empire Paint Template
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 06:55:18 PM »
Yes, great work! Thanks for making and sharing those beauties!
Heathens! I shall smite thee! Right after my lunch break.

Offline bofto

• Members
Empire Paint Template
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 07:20:04 PM »
Good heavens, that's beautiful!!

Can we get this man a special title, something like "Imperial Artist" or "Painter of Sigmar"??  Because he deserves it!
Best Warhammer game quote I know of:
"Andrew, stop asking what's going on.  Just shut up and roll!"

Offline SigmarsHammer

• Members
Empire Paint Template
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 09:16:27 PM »
Let me just say 3 words

I Love You.

Offline Hagen_von_Loewenstein

• Members
Empire Paint Template
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 09:35:00 PM »
That's one of the best ideas ever to come out of this forum... and that's quite something considering the large amount of good ideas that originated here :)

EDIT: I would also like to ask if you would allow me to make these available to the users of german http://www.gwfanworld.net-forum... of course giving you the well earned credit for it :)

Offline cripple

• Members
  • We have found a witch. May we burn her?
Empire Paint Template
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 11:39:44 PM »
Does it burn and chafe to be so talented?
Cripple - back from the "real world."

Offline Calvin

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Empire Paint Template
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 12:28:42 AM »
Hey this is great!

Thanks a lot!

This should defiantly get into the workshop!
Quote from: Rufas the Eccentric
Remember this every one, when in trouble just screem, CALVIN!
Quote from: Eight
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

Offline Racticas

• Members
  • The Anti-moderator
Empire Paint Template
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 04:08:03 AM »
Quote from: Hagen_von_Loewenstein
I would also like to ask if you would allow me to make these available to the users of german http://www.gwfanworld.net-forum... of course giving you the well earned credit for it :)

Feel free, Hagen.  I hope it gets as much use as possible.

...But I don't want to see anybody running off with these to the other English-speaking forums!!  If they want the goods, they've got to come to the best website.

However-- I'm curious to see what others are doing with this.  I haven't actually played with the paint version except to make that sample, but I think  it would be neat to see other's uses of the template.  Could theroetically even be used as a way to communicate paint scheme ideas to each other ("What kind of paint scheme do you use for your Norlanders?"  "Here, look at *this*...").  But maybe I'm dreaming...
He isn't afraid at all to try new things, sometimes with terrible results.  :roll:

Offline the_green_cd

• Members
Empire Paint Template
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 04:33:07 AM »
Quote from: Racticas

However-- I'm curious to see what others are doing with this.  I haven't actually played with the paint version except to make that sample, but I think  it would be neat to see other's uses of the template.  Could theroetically even be used as a way to communicate paint scheme ideas to each other ("What kind of paint scheme do you use for your Norlanders?"  "Here, look at *this*...").  But maybe I'm dreaming...

Sounds like a great idea to me! Im goin to paint one up with Photoshop and Ill post it whenever I need it!
Kevin: "Dude, Kenny! Look at this awesome rock!"
Kenny: "Dude, ... thats a jelly bean...."
Kevin: ".... oh... crap, EWWWW!!"

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
Empire Paint Template
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 10:45:15 AM »
Excellent quality!

I'm going to see how my paintscheme looks using thise template. 8)
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

• Members
Empire Paint Template
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 04:11:08 PM »
Thanks a lot then, Maestro :D

BTW, here's how my army looks like using your paint-template...

Offline Guvnor

• Members
  • I'm just north of London
Empire Paint Template
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 04:21:22 PM »
These are amazing. wow.  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
I have one sentence in response to the engineer and mechanical: Empire is post-feudal age, not post-nuclear age!

Offline quadrille

• Members
Empire Paint Template
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2005, 11:33:00 AM »
This is great stuff, the thread should be stickied!

How did you do them Racticas, was it in paint or with the pencil tool in PS with a tablet, or did you draw them manually, scan and then fixed the levels in PS? I've always wanted to know the best way to get those crisp, non-antialiasing lines.

Offline Racticas

• Members
  • The Anti-moderator
Empire Paint Template
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2005, 02:44:20 PM »
Quote from: quadrille
This is great stuff, the thread should be stickied!

How did you do them Racticas, was it in paint or with the pencil tool in PS with a tablet, or did you draw them manually, scan and then fixed the levels in PS? I've always wanted to know the best way to get those crisp, non-antialiasing lines.

Hopefully it'll end up in the library or workshop and not need to be stickied, but be available to whoever wants them without looking very hard.

I drew them in pencil, then went over the lines with drafting pens.  Then I erased the pancil marks and touched up as needed with Super White (I don't know what it's called in America; it's halway between white-out and white paint, that you brush on; they used to use it in comics).  I scanned the picture and played around with it in Paint to attach some of the color fields that would be the same color and close some of the black outlines that weren't sound, so that it would be easier to work with in Paint.

So in other words, it was option #3 that you suggested above.

Offline quadrille

• Members
Empire Paint Template
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2005, 04:11:47 PM »
Thanks! (In Sweden it's called "Tipex" btw).

Quote from: Racticas
I scanned the picture and played around with it in Paint

You mean photoshop right? There was not many tools to play with in paint last time I checked  :?

Offline MiB

• Members
Empire Paint Template
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2005, 04:29:46 PM »
found this very useful, thanks  :)

Offline Racticas

• Members
  • The Anti-moderator
Empire Paint Template
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2005, 05:05:21 PM »
Quote from: quadrille

You mean photoshop right? There was not many tools to play with in paint last time I checked  :?

Actually, I did it in Paint.  I think I selected something in the scanning process to make it just black and white, but the pictures still weren't ready for easy use in Paint (by easy use, I mean making the "click-and-fill" command as handy as possible).  Where lines met at curves and angles, there were stranded white pixels that would be left out of color fills, plus incomplete borders around single-color areas and some areas that were so tedious to fill that I went ahead and attached them with white space (some tedious places to fill still exist as you might have noticed, such as all those pain-in-the booty slits on the handgunner's shirt).  I fixed all of these using Paint, simply by drawing in white and black to connect or separate relevant areas, kind of like a digital final draft of what I'd done with the Tipex or whatever it's called.  Kind of cavemannish of me to use paint, but it worked.  If you look closely, I'm sure you can find some silly-looking marks leftover from drag-and-click lines (from the Paint toolbar) that I did my best to cover up.  Hopefully, though, they didn't stand out against the little imperfections intrinsic in something hand-drafted like this.

Offline King of Fighters

• Members
Empire Paint Template
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2005, 05:08:39 PM »
You should definately do a Kislevite oriented one. You know, a Kossars, Spearmen, Ungol Horse Archer (dismounted), Winged Lancer (dismounted).  Just an idea....

Offline Racticas

• Members
  • The Anti-moderator
Empire Paint Template
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2005, 05:12:10 PM »
The idea's a nice one in general, applicable to any army whose player could ever find themselves pained over choosing a paint scheme (I shamelessly stole the idea from GW's lizardman saurus paint sceme selector).  I don't know how soon I'd get to Kislev myself (just b/c I don't have any Kislevites yet), so no feelings would be hurt if somebody else took up the job.

Offline Clarkarias

• Members
  • Halton Hills, Ontario
Empire Paint Template
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2005, 12:05:29 PM »
Great work!  Now, I need to by more figs...
Actually, forget Karl-Franz. I want rules for Thyrus Gorman on a dragon. - Rufus Sparkfire

• Members
Empire Paint Template
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2005, 03:02:37 PM »
Maybe you could do an knights-template before that? Both for knightly orders and WW... pretty pretty pleeeease?  :engel:

Offline Racticas

• Members
  • The Anti-moderator
Empire Paint Template
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2005, 03:06:23 PM »
Quote from: Hagen_von_Loewenstein
Maybe you could do an knights-template before that? Both for knightly orders and WW... pretty pretty pleeeease?  :engel:

Now, that' more what I had in mind next.  But I wouldn't be able to o it for a few months at the soonest.  Right now I have about a month to learn 1,000 Chinese characters or my career is flushed.

Offline Count Ted Out

• Members
Empire Paint Template
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2005, 04:42:12 PM »
This word has lost much of its meaning from overuse in the vernacular, but. . . .

AWESOME!! :clap:

Offline Neisha

• Members
Empire Paint Template
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2005, 07:20:47 PM »
Those are beautiful!  What a great idea.  Thank you so much for sharing.  They actually look quite a bit better than the models themself  :wink:  

Now, if I just had some Ulricans or Kislevs or some for my Sisters of Sigmar...hehe just kidding. These are excellent! Very useful.  Especially for the standard Empire troops you have depicted, the color schemes could get be quite busy, it is nice to test them out before having to paint a whole model several times :)

~Neisha