home

Author Topic: How are we going to do this?  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
How are we going to do this?
« on: June 06, 2005, 04:06:05 PM »
I've just checked and we seem to have a healthy 16 of us signed up so far.

In terms of gaming experience and campaigns I am way down the scale, but I am sure that some sort of tactical plan of conquest will be needed to consolidate our efforts.

So how's about some suggestions, some indication of experience in this sort of campaign, some idea of how this campaign is likely to work, and any other helpful ideas.

I assume, for example, it would be sensible for all of us to report battles or whatever in the same 'battle area'.

It seems we have 2 weeks to register, before the campaign 'officially' gets under way, but I have seen already a suggestion that if battles take place in the next few days they could always be 'reported later'.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Rathis Darkwielder

• Members
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 04:33:29 PM »
I'm curious wether there will be more explanation as to how the campaign will actually work. Will we be able to post battles in any location, or will we be limited to our own and those next to our own?

As for tactics, it all depends on how the system works. Organising will be helpful anyway, since coordinated concentration or dispersion of forces will always work better than just adding those results in a random fashion.

Offline LizardKing

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 08:32:30 PM »
Im with Rathis, what are the details, I'm just itching for a good scrap, I went to my local store the other day and totally threw down. now all the other Empire players know im after them. (I of course referred them to the site)

-Pete
-kill 'em all, let ULRIC sort 'em out

Offline LizardKing

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 11:10:27 PM »
I played in the Storm of Chaos as well, which I think works similar to this, however if all 16 of us post a battle in the same "area" it will have a real affect instead of the SoC where you got the feeling your battles didnt matter at all, I think what we need is a solid base of command or an army general of some sort. My vote goes to Atch if this is the case. well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens from here.

-Pete

Offline rha celt

• Members
I hope we can add them up.
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 01:17:34 AM »
My big concern is I only play warhammer one weekend a month do to my availability and the fact Im up here in the great state of North Dakota.  We are not known for our mass amount of gamers. When we do get together we usually get in four or five games during the weekend. So I hope my games this weekend will count and maybe next months.  Do we have any idea how long this is going to run?
When in doubt attack, hey sometimes it works

Offline Erken

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 05:48:41 AM »
Yeah I also hope games played now (i´m playing tomorrow) will count! I have the same problem as rha celt, I don´t get to play so much. So would really like those precious games to count
/Erik

Offline LizardKing

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 11:30:30 PM »
also, this may have been answerd before, but does it matter who we fight? or do just other Empire armies count?

-Pete

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 08:49:33 AM »
There seem to be several points to consider; [not in any particular order].

1. Registration/sign up is lasting 2 weeks.

2. I think the campaign details will emerge nearer the end of registration.
However from reading around, I get the impression we will be able to attack adjacent areas to our starting position on the map. These 'new' areas can be captured allowing us to progress towards Bechafen which would seem to be the ultimate goal.
Thus some sort of plan to attack certain 'areas' would be a good idea.

3. You can play against anybody and any army. However battles against other Empire armies from the other factions will have more effect.

4. Following on from this - there are 'suggested' themed armies for the historical period of the campaign. I am not sure that if you play with a proper themed fluff army you also benefit results wise?

5. There will be some sort of check/test to verify/monitor results, so that for example someone cannot claim 2 massacres a day, every day. However as has been mentioned above, members who have limited playing times/facilities can post results from a day's gaming for example.

6. The type of battle may vary according to the state of the campaign, so those who have a 'monthly' battle day will probably need to keep up to date with the campaign status, to make sure they play the most advantageous scenarios for OUR cause on their battle day.

There are probably a lot of other things we need to consider, and the earlier we do it the better, so we're ready to act early.

If anyone has any other thoughts let's hear them.

We probably do need a 'Commander-in-Chief' or a 'War Council' to decide on tactical manouevres, and as I said in the first post, previous campaign experience would be very helpful.
I didn't get involved in the SoC, and so have no ideas on this front, apart from common sense.
Modship does not give me any seniority on this, as I am not a very experienced gamer, so all I am trying to do is get things organised.

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 08:57:39 AM »
One further thought:

It might be useful if we have a list of our signed up members here on THIS forum, rather than keep having to go to the Usergroups to check.

Then if we can also add what each general will be running as an army;
Middenland/CoU/Kislev contingent for example.
Will it be a 'period themed' version?
Will you have more than one army?

What opponents are you likely to play. This may be useful as we can see how much empire on empire action we can muster, and advice could also be given on tactics.
Hell we want to win, if you need a cheesy gunline for that one important battle, use it :wink:

One positive advantage of Modship is I can edit a post - I'll start this list in another thread, and edit it as information becomes available.

Offline Rathis Darkwielder

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 07:43:11 AM »
I did get involved with SoC and ended up in the Communication Council of the Conclave of Light (as some might remember), but to be perfectly honest SoC wasn't really as tactical as you may think. The system simply worked on whoever posted the most wins would claim an area and there's nothing you can do about it.

However, it is of course always a 'good plan' to try and outmanouvre your opponents by posting your wins in an area where your oppontent isn't. This will enable quick superiority in that area and will allow you to move to the next area.

The problem with such a limited amount of players participating is the fact that there's no 'mass of uncoordinated people' like we had in SoC. No matter which commands we gave, only a faction of the players would even hear us, so there would always be a number of people posting on a location regardless wether we didn't assign any troops to it. Not this time.

I'm not quite sure how many wins you need to conquer an area (or even contest it), but it seems that spreading out 80% of our generals and having 20% of the generals as a blitz force would seem the best idea.
If any of the other factions decide to withdraw defence from one location, our standard garison there will slowly start taking over.
If they spread out evenly, we will slowly be pushed back but we'll have a blitz force to quickly capture one location to free up forces for the defence of the other location. Again, this all depends on how many wins are needed to take an area.

I think the most important 'tactical' orders that we'll need to make are those that ensure our forces are spread out across all of our borders. If we don't, we may end up giving away one of the regions simply because nobody felt like defending it.

Rathis

Offline jmanwarhammer

• Members
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 04:39:35 PM »
As my first post in well over a month, I would like to say that I was plesently suprised! I was fairly giddy in my chair as I read about the new happenings, just had to say that first.

That is a most excellent idea Rathis. But how are you going to send orders? On the forums, or through E-Mail? I'd say E-Mail because if the force distributation was placed on the forums than it would be easy for the other factions to concentrate thier forces on a specific area and quickly over-whelm us, so my vote goes to E-Mail.
Larry: WOW! Three sixes in a row!
[Elsewhere]
Darth Vader: I feel a disturbance in the force...

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 08:16:38 PM »
jmanwarhammer:
the theory is that the members of the other factions cannot see our forum.
As I am a mod I can see all three faction forums, so I do not know if it is working?

I hope that you cannot see the Stirland and Talabecland faction forums - because that would mean the system is working.

Their mods and I are on our honour not to spy, or pass over any information we might come across.
However that has not prevented the 'reclamation' of our Middenland shield from the depths of the castle, by your daring and resourceful fellow general. :wink:

Anyway the result of all that is we should be able to communicate 'in private' here in this forum.

I understand that we will have 3 options of attack from the start. We will have territories adjacent to one from Stirland, one from Talabecland, and one direct into Bechafen.

Thus we will have 3 'fronts' to divide our forces up on. So initially following Rathis' plan we can hold on 2 and major on 1 for example.

If we win an adjacent area, then we will probably have 2 further areas off the won area to defend against, or attack. So the more areas you take over the more your forces will get stretched.

I suspect the logical tactic would be to concentrate on winning an area, and then immediately attacking one of the next areas, thus reducing that particular enemy to one base only.
Logically then we should carry on and destroy that enemy outright, but that would seriously disrupt the campaign.

We need to get a copy of the map in here, as the tactics and explanations would be easier.

Offline Nightshadow

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 01:56:37 PM »
Quote from: Rathis Darkwielder

I'm not quite sure how many wins you need to conquer an area (or even contest it), but it seems that spreading out 80% of our generals and having 20% of the generals as a blitz force would seem the best idea.
If any of the other factions decide to withdraw defence from one location, our standard garison there will slowly start taking over.
If they spread out evenly, we will slowly be pushed back but we'll have a blitz force to quickly capture one location to free up forces for the defence of the other location. Again, this all depends on how many wins are needed to take an area.

I think thats a very sound plan  :!:
Graf Wilhelm Anderssen, Leading the Marburg Company (Stirland), joining Helstrom's 4th.
Awarded with the Nemesis Rune, Von Klaust's Laurels of Acclamation and the Scroll of Ludendorf.
NC: 5/2/1