home

Author Topic: Warrior Priests  (Read 16314 times)

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
Warrior Priests
« on: August 12, 2009, 02:00:29 AM »
I'd like to see:

Consecrated Weapons- The warrior priests weapons have been blessed by the church of Sigmar.  This blessing allows the WP's non-magical weapons to strike creatures normally immune to non-magical attacks.  All of the normal bonuses and penalties for the weapons apply.

It's minor boon (given that WP's are mediocre warriors), but it gives the WP a slight edge against demons, undead, and ethereal foes that he should have had from the beginning.  We all know that holy weapons affect supernatural creatures of the darkness, and what WP would take to the field without a specially consecrated weapon, especially against such a terrifying foe as a vampire?

I'd also like to see a WP spell that gave the unit magical attacks.
Desperately seeking Chaos Warrior heads & Skull banner tops from new empire missle troops sprue.  Will trade for bitz, barter, or $$$.  PM or email me to discuss details.

Offline Freman Bloodglaive

• Members
Re: Warrior Priests
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 08:02:27 AM »
I like that.
"Reason is a thing of God, inasmuch as there is nothing which God the Maker of all has not provided, disposed, ordained by reason - nothing which He has not willed should be handled and understood by reason" Quintus Tertullian

Offline Spiney

• Members
  • Merchant Prince of Marienburg
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 10:21:16 AM »
I want a drastic overhaul allowing us to field priests of different cults and/or orders. Each could confer a different special rule on their unit, for example

Sigmar - hatred
Ulric - frenzy
Manann - Aquatic
Myrmidia - ASF
Verena - +1 AS
Shallya - regeneration
Morr - cause fear
Taal - ignore difficult terrain
Ranald - re-roll failed rolls to wound

Each could be costed differently to be added to the priest's cost, a bit like how the wood elf kindreds  work.

I guess a list of different prayers for each of the main  Empire deities is a little optimistic, but perhaps a generic list of prayers and one unique prayer for each deity would be possible? Also each cult option could open up different weapon options, for example Sigmarites could take a pistol (allowing us to field proper Witch Hunters), Ulricans could take cavalry hammers, Myrmidians could have full plate & lances if mounted etc.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 10:25:03 AM by Spiney »

Brain wounder: for when you don't want to kill your enemies, just leave them bedridden and pissing themselves.

Offline iatroblast

• Members
  • Invincibility at no extra charge!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 07:09:32 PM »
Pistol Pete has a point! I'd like to see the "Consecrated Weapons" special rule.

I also like the idea of fielding priests from various cults! Following faithfully the creed of Sigmar could be boring :icon_razz:
'hate','frenzy','re-roll to wound','immune to fear','skirmishing' are some good rules to start with.
I.. just think that rules like 'regenaration' or 'aquatic' would be a little.. way too overexaggerated..  After all, we don't even know if these gods truly exist! (in the warhammer world I mean)

Offline Spiney

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 01:13:09 PM »
you think aquatic is overpowered? Its one of the most useless special rules in the entire game, I was trying to think of something Manannite that was as appropriate but actually useful but scored a big blank.

Regen for a priest of Shallya would be a bit powerful, as would ASF for the Myrmidian orders but they could be costed accordingly.

As for all the Empire gods actually existing I don't see your point. All of the ones I listed are worshiped at least as widely as Sigmar or Ulric, in fact most of them much more widely than Sigmar because no-one outside of the Empire even acknowledges his existence. Theres no reason to suggest they are any less real than any of the Chaos gods. I deliberately didn't include the minor gods like Khaine, Stromfels or Haendryk, only the major, more "official" cults.

Brain wounder: for when you don't want to kill your enemies, just leave them bedridden and pissing themselves.

Offline iatroblast

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 09:17:25 PM »
You have a point.. 'aquatic' is one of the most useless rules in Warhammer.
But regeneration... well...

What I'm saying is: You chose very carefully the rules for each religious cult. They're nice rules.
But I have the impression that 'Sigmar','Ulric' and the other Empire gods are not real like the Chaos gods.
I've red somewhere that Chaos gods are 'creatures from an other dimension, suggesting they posses 'unknown powers', a feature that in the eyes of the people of the old world seems divine . On the other hand, 'Sigmar' is a historical figure who lived many-many years ago and probably....died. People loved him and then declared him 'god'. This doesn't mean they had right(!)
'Hating' enemies is not such a remarkable miracle (it's war after all).. but having 'regenaration', well... that's something!! :icon_razz:

If you ask me I would keep these rules
Sigmar - hatred
Manann - Aquatic
Verena - +1 AS
Taal - ignore difficult terrain
Ranald - re-roll failed rolls to wound
I would slightly change these rules
Ulric - frenzy with the official rules that Games Workshop suggests
Morr - cause fear with 'immune to fear' or 'immune to psychology'(Morr is the god of the other life! after all! you know what expects you...or you think you do)
and discard these ones
Myrmidia - ASF
Shallya - regeneration
because I think they're too 'remarkable' for -possibly- fake gods.

That's all and... I think you know more things for the game than I do, though I also like the idea of having more than one 'cult' in the army
(Something that till now GW doesn't seem to share no matter how much we 'argue' :-P :cry: )

-By the way- it's nice that I found your -exclusive- Empire forum, I wanted to share my thoughts and ideas for the specific army, without having to hear for 'rats' and 'lizards' :icon_razz: :icon_razz: It's cool :icon_razz: :icon_cool:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 09:21:20 PM by iatroblast »

Offline Spiney

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 10:51:45 PM »
The Myrmidian one is easy enough to explain, Myrmidia is the most martial of the old world gods and her worshipers are more accomplished soldiers than any others. We are supposed to believe that the entire high elf army has the ASF rule by virtue of its martial skill alone so I don't think this is too much of a stretch, it just represents extreme military discipline in Myrmidia's worshippers.

I agree that regeneration would constitute a miracle, but judging by the effect of the current edition's prayers I'd say it was GW's intention for us to consider the power of sigmar as "real". I mean the effects of Soulfire aren't going to happen just because the priest shouts loud enough are they?

Offline iatroblast

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 11:12:10 PM »
The Myrmidian one is easy enough to explain, Myrmidia is the most martial of the old world gods and her worshipers are more accomplished soldiers than any others. We are supposed to believe that the entire high elf army has the ASF rule by virtue of its martial skill alone
Really?!  :icon_eek: I think that 'the entire high elf army has the ASF rule by virtue of its martial skill alone' is a 'stupid' explanation!! OMG! They're elves!! What's better explanation from that!! They're elves! :-P :icon_razz: What GW is thinking? :laugh:
Of course, this explanation also makes me having second thoughts about discarding or changing the 'ASF' rule you suggest for Myrmidian troops..

...the effects of Soulfire aren't going to happen just because the priest shouts loud enough are they?
:laugh: :laugh: -just LOL- :laugh: :laugh:
(But that's REALLY confusing! :icon_razz: Sigmar actually exists in the Warhammer world?? I'd like to think that 'soulfire' is only a rumor between Sigmarites, but then, Chaos invasion could be a rumor too!!??! :icon_lol: :icon_confused: Honestly, there is no good explanation for the effects of the so-called 'prayers of Sigmar')
Regenaration could be the effect of a Shallyan Pray though :icon_neutral:....

Offline Spiney

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 11:17:36 PM »
Ok, what ambient effect could a Shallyan priest have. Shallya is the goddess of mercy and healing, any ideas?

Offline iatroblast

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 11:52:05 PM »
'mercy' huh? :?
What business has a healing-goddess to warfares :-P

As I see it... none ambient effect! Shallyan priestesses (enough with priests :icon_mrgreen:) can be unmatched healers, but..... war is just not their thing.... :icon_wink:
What do you think about that idea?

Offline Spiney

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 12:15:11 AM »
Fair enough, drop the priest of Shallya. The other 8 stand though

Offline iatroblast

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 12:39:43 AM »
Oh god.. :icon_frown: ....that means I'm stuck with even more bald-men guiding my troops? :-P :cry: :-P :laugh:

Of course "the other 8 stand" but... if a priest(ess :icon_razz:) of Shallyan is an unmatched healer, then this could overcome the 'problem' that the unit doesn't benefit from an ambient effect (plus a Shallyan priest may worth less points. Just imagine that we have the option to summon the 'great warriors' called 'master engineers'!! :-P :-o I personally wouldn't mind a priest that has two attacks, magical equipment and great healing powers ---....please....I don't want MORE bald men!! :laugh: :-P :-P   I'm just kidding of course..I don't even know how the idea that Shallya has priestesses got into my mind in the first place!! :laugh:)

How come you (or we) have so many ideas and GW has only one (Sigmar)? :oops: that's the true mystery... :-)

Offline Spiney

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 08:57:29 AM »
I think you misunderstood me, I wasn't suggesting that the Shallyan priestess not have an ambient effect, I'm suggesting a Shallyan priestess not be an option. Reading up on the background Shallyans take a vow not to kill, which might make a career as a warrior priest somewhat difficult.

Also only sigmarite priests shave their heads, certainly ulricans don't and I can't imagine followers of Taal or Manann would either.

Offline iatroblast

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 08:28:02 PM »
...Reading up on the background Shallyans take a vow not to kill...
Now you have your answer I guess  :icon_razz:  Too bad there is no way to use them though...
...only sigmarite priests shave their heads, certainly ulricans don't...
I know, I have a GW model resembling an Ulric priest and he's pretty cool :icon_cool:
I'd like to read about other priests and cults.. How they look and what powers they possess.. Do you have any 'link' to suggest..?

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 10:28:27 PM »
I think priests of morr should cause fear even in the undead, or perhaps only specifically the undead and demons.
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline Red

• Members
  • If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 05:07:16 PM »
Oh god.. :icon_frown: ....that means I'm stuck with even more bald-men guiding my troops? :-P :cry: :-P :laugh:

:icon_eek: I couldn't imagine my army without them 

Offline Spiney

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 11:50:27 PM »
I'd like to read about other priests and cults.. How they look and what powers they possess.. Do you have any 'link' to suggest..?

I don't know a good online source, my info comes from the Tome of Salvation expansion to WFRP it has detailed background for the Empire's main cults including priestly and templar orders as well as divine magic lores for each cult. They are designed for an RPG type setting and some of them wouldn't translate well into warhammer but others could work.

Offline iatroblast

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 07:58:01 PM »
I see... :cry:
That's ok! Thanks anyway! :-) (though I'd really like to read about Templar orders)

:icon_eek: I couldn't imagine my army without them 
And the way I see it, no one can... :cry: ...at least for this edition!  :icon_razz: (Look who's complaining?!! :-P The guy having two Luthor Huss! Like the one wasn't enough! :icon_razz:)

Offline eSBeN84

• Members
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 01:32:17 PM »

Offline Rodman49

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 11:57:14 PM »
Consecrated Weapons- The warrior priests weapons have been blessed by the church of Sigmar.  This blessing allows the WP's non-magical weapons to strike creatures normally immune to non-magical attacks.  All of the normal bonuses and penalties for the weapons apply.

It's minor boon (given that WP's are mediocre warriors), but it gives the WP a slight edge against demons, undead, and ethereal foes that he should have had from the beginning.  We all know that holy weapons affect supernatural creatures of the darkness, and what WP would take to the field without a specially consecrated weapon, especially against such a terrifying foe as a vampire?

How about we give this bad boy "Consecrated Weapons" to the Warrior Priest and the entire unit he is with?

Offline shavixmir

• Members
  • Tum podem extulit horridulum
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 06:43:41 AM »
I like the idea of holy weapons.
And I like the idea of different priests with different skills.

I do think some priests should allow certain units, and that certain priest-sorts can't be in the same army.

And I think there certainly is a place for a compassionate non-killing priestess in an army.
Maybe she can't kill, but she might be able to heal D3 wounds per combat round in the unit she's in (so, before CR, she rolls her D6 /2 and that many wounds are not lost in the unit).
I don't see any problem there. And since she can't kill, she doesn't need to be in the front row.

Everything of value is vulnerable

Offline Lord 0

• Members
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 03:49:49 AM »
Ok, what ambient effect could a Shallyan priest have. Shallya is the goddess of mercy and healing, any ideas?
How about a prayer that heals a character to full health? Or ignore the first wound suffered by a unit?

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2009, 07:59:43 PM »
actually I really like shavixmir's idea here, a REMF (rear eschelon mater familias :icon_smile:) who can tip the balance of combat rez and even prolong a combat. Other prayers could be psyche hardening like, a prayer that confers calm in a panic test, an extra die for flight tests, (or a minus die for pursuit against the enemy) requiscat in pacem, undead and demons double instability effects in close combat.

yer thoughts?

Also what about the idea of a variable faith power, prayers go off on a base of for example 3 but with a D3 added to that +1 or minus one based on winning or losing a combat rez in the last turn.  This could require an opponent to throw more than one dispel die at a WP to dispel a prayer so maybe more than one prayer can get off in a game let alone turn. 

A variable prayer strength of 3-7 for standard WP's and potentially 4-8 for AL's and 5-9 for the GT
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline Helborg

• Members
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2009, 08:56:51 PM »
How about a prayer that heals a character to full health? Or ignore the first wound suffered by a unit?

Don't they already have the former, "Healing Hands" or something like that. But I do like the latter...

Sanj
i should really pull my trousers up now.  :icon_eek:

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 09:32:47 AM »
I would like a special rule where the priest grants the blessed weapon thingy to the whole unit he is accompanying....I mean he can do all that blessing before battle and it is a stupid item for 15 points for HE.

Better would be magical flaming attacks for the unit he accompanies.