home

Author Topic: The Province of WISSENLAND  (Read 94055 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: The Province of WISSENLAND
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2008, 07:26:09 PM »

I'm by no means an official Wissenland representative, but it's been my one and only Imperial army.  I've done work on it for the past five years now on and off.

I have created a fortress town at the intersection of the Upper Reik and the Oggel Rivers named Brennenburg (area of influence marked in red).

Interesting.  Some how I hadn't read this till today. :icon_rolleyes:

It was neat to find out where Brennenburg has been located.  Being on the border with Averland makes it convenient that my small mercenary band of Wissenland greatswords, painted with your color scheme, are being hired to help my Averlanders.  Unfortunately my Aver River Regiment is based on the other side of Averland, but at least that is better than both of us having our armies based even further away.  I'm looking forward to perhaps someday aquiring some of the state troops that you used to create some of your greatswords, and then use some of the two-handed weapons I have from a 6th edition militia box to model some more for my Wissenland mercenary unit.

In creating your fortress town, have you developed a map complete with what is located there?  I'm contemplating doing something like this out on the Aver River to use as the main base for the Aver River Regiment, and maybe even use the town for a jumping off place for roleplaying as well.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
I do have a map that is pretty far along, but not yet finished.  One of my many projects.  I hope to finish it at some point, though, as all I really have to do is identify the locations of the different 'hot spots' that are of importance.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2008, 08:21:44 PM »
I'm really glad I decided to read this thread today.  I've been working on fluff for my Aver River Regiment over the last few months, and Wissenlander's work has begun to inspire me to do more research on Averland again, and write more of my own fluff down, too.  Along with the different sources I've been reading over the internet, I've also been using my recent battles to develop a history of my military unit.  It is amazing how this type of creativity develops ideas, and at the same time changes along the way. :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
Ahhh, so I am to sit back and watch whilst the 2 of you divvy up Solland! That aside, hurry up with the map Wiss!
Veldemere, Elector Count of Solland (Elect)
Quote from: wissenlander
  I'm fine with Veldemere and his retinue of disgruntled's

Offline Clarkarias

• Members
  • Halton Hills, Ontario
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2008, 08:15:18 PM »
I will soon be dismissing my Wissenland troops as they get a well deserved retirement for a different type or project.

Although it's very nice to know that the old Grey and White I first started collecting when 6th edition was first released will be continued on by a fair number of generals!
Actually, forget Karl-Franz. I want rules for Thyrus Gorman on a dragon. - Rufus Sparkfire

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2008, 12:59:25 PM »
Oh noes, don't leave the grey and white! :cry:

I hope that you continue to hang onto your army, you never know when you'll get the itch to return to Kreutzhofen.

not together.

Offline Clarkarias

• Members
  • Halton Hills, Ontario
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2008, 12:48:08 PM »
I'm impressed that you remembered that!  I barely did!  :icon_lol:

I'm trying out a new theme that I don't think has been done before because I want to try out some new colours.  As much as I love the old Grey/White, it's not the most vibrant of colour schemes. 
Actually, forget Karl-Franz. I want rules for Thyrus Gorman on a dragon. - Rufus Sparkfire

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2008, 07:25:37 PM »
I can be quite freakish at times with some things I remember. :blush:

It is true that they're not flashy, but the color fits the personality of the province very much.  I know a lot of people don't like it because of the blandness and the fact that grey and white aren't contrasting colors, but I've grown to love it!

not together.

Offline empiresilly

• Members
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2008, 07:27:39 PM »
Veldemere, you wrote the following:
"Or, failing that search e-bay for Kislev (ungol) Horse archers, they are really nice figs, imho, too perhaps a little small compared to 7th ed figs."

I have some of the those Horse Archers that are bare chested and I could use those for the Wissenland Horse archers and that would be cool?

If so, would they be in their native color scheme or should I tie the Grey & White to them as well?

Wissenland Generals ROCK!!!   :icon_razz:

Offline empiresilly

• Members
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2008, 07:29:49 PM »
Another question. . .

Would there be any reason to have Crossbowmen in a Wissenlander army?  Could they be justified by fluff?

Thanks

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2008, 07:38:12 PM »
Crossbows are very fluffy in Wissenland armies, more so than handgunners (though handgunners are fine).

You can use the bare chested guys as Wissenlanders, no problem there.

not together.

Offline empiresilly

• Members
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2008, 09:29:58 PM »
Sooo, crossbows would be better than handgunners in Wissenland?

Also, about Knightly Orders, I read in this library that the Shining Swords and Broken Swords would be in Wissenland. Are they the same or different Orders?

Thanks

Offline Von Breden

• Members
  • Remembering the Eccentric
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2008, 11:05:16 PM »
Sooo, crossbows would be better than handgunners in Wissenland?
Yes, Wissenland is quite poor and handguns are expensive.
I don't know the Shining Swords, but if the Library lists them as two different orders, I'd say they are :smile2:.
Quote from: Siberius
I never noticed your height on account of your fabulous manly imperial beard.

He who has such amazing facial hair will never be short in the eyes of his comrades!

Offline empiresilly

• Members
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2008, 04:37:54 AM »
Oops, my bad. I went back to double check and did not find the reference to the Broken Swords being in Wissenland. I thought I read it somewhere, oh well.

Then the Shining Swords is in the Secular Orders of the Library.  So I guess they are two separate orders.

Offline Dreadaxe

• Members
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2008, 01:06:31 PM »
Madalfred's Sudland borders
http://www.madalfred.darcore.net/Maps.html

Sudenland, 2e
Well, technically, Sudenland only exists as the part of Wissenland east of the River Soll in WFRP2e. Still, I've included it here for those GMs that prefer a free Sudenland. There's even a gazetteer for it below.

Sudenland, central region
This map has been developed for the forthcoming The Gathering Darkness: Grim Pursuits adventure. It includes many of the settlements in the central portion of Sudenland. Entries to the Sudenland and Wissenland (2nd edition) gazetteers have been updated.

Sudenland, northern region
This map has been developed for the forthcoming The Gathering Darkness: Grim Pursuits adventure. It includes many of the settlements in the northern portion of Sudenland. Entries to the Sudenland and Wissenland (2nd edition) gazetteers have been updated.

Sudenland
Revised 7/10/08. All the information in this gazetteer also appears in the Wissenland one. I've only put it here to make it easier for GM's that prefer a separate province for Sudenland.
Dreadaxe

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2008, 10:00:42 PM »
Are you saying that Sudenland is a Germanisation of Solland?
Veldemere, Elector Count of Solland (Elect)
Quote from: wissenlander
  I'm fine with Veldemere and his retinue of disgruntled's

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2008, 10:20:28 PM »
I'd say it's kind of the other way around, actually.  Mad Alfred has some interesting stuff, but I don't know where he really gets it from.  From what I heard, the new edition of WFRP is supposed to match up with WFB.  That being the case, Sudenland doesn't exist, and through revisionist history, never did.  It was mentioned in the latest army book about how Solland loyalists refer to the region as Sudenland as a small measure of defiance.  That is about the only way it lives on.

Perhaps Mad Alfred and others choose to use some older supplements, or other sources that are out that I have not yet seen.  If so then that would work, but it doesn't really jive with what's out at the moment.

not together.

Offline Holland

• Members
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2008, 03:40:51 AM »
quick question to the Wissenland/Solland/Empire vets; whats the colours of Solland? I was guessing base coat of gray, with red and white detail colours?

:::cheers:::
I apologies in advances for all the thing I am about to say O_O

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2008, 09:45:47 AM »
quick question to the Wissenland/Solland/Empire vets; whats the colours of Solland? I was guessing base coat of gray, with red and white detail colours?

There have never been any, because it was not a province at the time provincial colours were handed out.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Dreadaxe

• Members
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2008, 12:58:01 PM »
Perhaps Mad Alfred and others choose to use some older supplements, or other sources that are out that I have not yet seen.  If so then that would work, but it doesn't really jive with what's out at the moment.

Look WFRP2 Sigmar's Heirs page 94
Sudenland have the signification "old Solland". It's the name give to the east region of Wissenland that be link to Solland.

To the novel Drakenfel, you can have a referee to Johann von Mecklenberg the Elector of Sudenland. To my opinion "Elector of Sudenland is a honorific title but not a real title of Elector Count. Sudenland don't exist really or maybe to the period 2506, the Sudenland have elector voting rights.
Dreadaxe

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2008, 10:52:23 PM »
I've seen those references of Sudenland = Solland, but even still, there is no Sudenland now just as there is no Solland (sorry Veldemere).  The maps he comes up with are cool, but don't make sense in the current fluff stand point of WFB.  Doesn't stop anyone from doing as they wish, though.

not together.

Offline Holland

• Members
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2008, 11:36:26 PM »

There have never been any, because it was not a province at the time provincial colours were handed out.

that make's perfect sence! Rufas to the rescue

:::cheers:::

I apologies in advances for all the thing I am about to say O_O

Offline Dreadaxe

• Members
« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2008, 07:56:27 AM »
I've seen those references of Sudenland = Solland, but even still, there is no Sudenland now just as there is no Solland (sorry Veldemere).
Sudenland referee to WFRP2 is for adapt old background and correct inconsistance. But with this and the reedition of Drachenfeld, the Sudenland is a region of Wissenland that have a some liberties (more to the WFRP1 time line period so until 2515 IC).

Other Mordheim Empire in Flames (1999 IC, lot of time after Solland destruction) make referee to Sudenland p5 and Ulli & Marquand mordheim rules too (maybe comics too).

The maps he comes up with are cool, but don't make sense in the current fluff stand point of WFB.  Doesn't stop anyone from doing as they wish, though.

It's your opinion but it's sur that actually Sudenland is a region of Wissenland. WFRP2 SH, Mordheim Empire in Flames, Mordheim Ulli & Marquand, novel reedition Drachenfeld, maybe comics Ulli & Marquand prove it.

Excuse to my bad english.
Dreadaxe

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2008, 11:01:27 AM »
Sudenland was a fully-electoral province in the original Empire fluff, and there was no Solland (Drachenfels uses this version of the fluff). When the 4th edition Empire army book was released, the fluff was drastically changed. Sudenland was simply forgotten. Solland appeared as a long-lost province in much the same location as Sudenland. But, it's not possible to reconcile the two fluffwise, because they are contradictory.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Dreadaxe

• Members
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2008, 05:12:05 PM »
Sudenland was a fully-electoral province in the original Empire fluff, and there was no Solland (Drachenfels uses this version of the fluff).
I know

When the 4th edition Empire army book was released, the fluff was drastically changed. Sudenland was simply forgotten. Solland appeared as a long-lost province in much the same location as Sudenland. But, it's not possible to reconcile the two fluffwise, because they are contradictory.
It's completly possible to reconcile. Drachenfels have been reedited with no change to this and Sigmar's Heir give a explication.
Dreadaxe