home

Author Topic: The Province of WISSENLAND  (Read 94390 times)

Offline kleth

• Members
Re: The Province of WISSENLAND
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2009, 03:33:57 AM »
Alright, thanks for the help.

Offline kleth

• Members
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2009, 07:01:03 AM »
another question, basic Warhammer related, what would be better as state troops for a 1000pt army; swordsmen, halberdier(with or without shields) or spearmen(with or without sheilds)?

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2009, 09:48:06 PM »
Simplest answer is swordsmen.  If you would like to find out why, there are a littany of discussions in the Elector's Forum.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline kleth

• Members
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2009, 03:47:04 AM »
Thanks Wissenland

Offline kleth

• Members
« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2009, 09:53:49 PM »
Fluff creation time! Where is everybody lay claim for towns and the like? I was thinking of creating mine around Scharmbeck... :ph34r:

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2009, 09:59:59 PM »
Dont let me stop you, but in terms of activities that are ongoing on this site, Scharmbeck is in the land claimed by the Solland secessionists, and is  - since you asked "claimed" by Gamespoet

Sonnefurt, Thalfang and Osthausen are up for grabs if you want something in the same region though :)

We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline kleth

• Members
« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2009, 10:10:20 PM »
Fair enough, I did have a second choice in Nehren, which also is near the mountains

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2009, 10:37:44 PM »
I was going to say that's owned by Baroness von Mecklenberg, but I dont think thats official (just Mad Alfred official), it certainly has no mention in "Heirs of Sigmar"

Have a look on this thread > http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=26245.350

About halfway down Gamespoet has an excellent summation of who "claims" what lands but feel free to ignore it by all means  :::cheers:::

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2009, 10:52:21 PM »
I've been working on Baron Eduard Dreisch in Scharmbeck and playing him as laying claim to Solland ancestery.  I encourage a look at madalfred's site and if you have a copy of Sigmar's heirs, that could be good as well.  There's a good map on that site if I recall, with maps on the W-E site, too, located on the Wissenland thread and the Ex-Province of Solland thread.

By the way, in Sigmar's Heirs, Scharmbeck is ruled by a Baron Vincentus Preiss.  I'm imagining this was pre-SoC, and now the Dreisch's have control.  If kleth wants to take on having the Preiss family use the Solland Effort as a reason to try to regain Scharmbeck for themselves again, this could make for part of "The Solland Effort of 2524"?

Let me know if you can't find the lists we prepped for "The Solland Effort of 2524".  We have both a list of Political Affiliations and a list of the which sppots are being used by participants in the Solland Effort story campaign.  If you pm me your email address I'd be happy to send them along to you.

Also, there is nothing to say you couldn't come up with your own imaginary town as well, sort of like Wissenlander has with Brennenburg, and I'm working on for my Averland characters.

:::cheers:::
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 11:59:08 AM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline kleth

• Members
« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2009, 01:13:31 AM »
I am thinking about creating a town called Ritterburg to the south of Nehren near the mountains and the forest. Would that work with the Solland Secessionist Campaign? Because I am interested in joining that
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 04:29:34 AM by kleth »

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2009, 07:39:45 AM »
By all means feel free to join in, the more the merrier, just be aware that south of that river is the Solland strongholds  :ph34r:

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline kleth

• Members
« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2009, 12:15:44 PM »
By all means feel free to join in, the more the merrier, just be aware that south of that river is the Solland strongholds  :ph34r:
I am prepared to be behind "enemy" lines.

Offline Blue Moon

• Members
« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2009, 09:13:30 AM »
As a loyal Wissenlander, I thought it obvious to state my fealty and allegiance in this post.

Looking forward to sharing knowledge and stories about Wissenland with you guys.

Andy

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2010, 03:43:10 PM »
Well, I've decided, its Wissenland for me  :biggriin:

I have been scouring the internet for information, and I must say you guys have accumulated a lot of information. The most interesting things I have found have been on Mad Alfred's site, that stuff is amazing. I have been reading through the gazetteers he has on there and have been trying to decide on a town. The two I am between are Episwald and Wusterburg.

Episwald is small, isolated town on the River Sol but has quite a lot to build on and a half decent military which could mean I could include decent troops. It has a monastery nearby, so could be an excuse to go down the religious route, and it has the definite countryside feel I like about Wissenland.

Wusterburg is a bit different. It is a large town in a league of villages, it is essentially the big town in the South. It has links with Karak Hirn so could be wealthy, allowing me to include Handgunners, Swordsmen or even eventually a Steam Tank. It also has the chance of suppressing rowdy Sollanders as it is on the border you guys have suggested.

Any ideas which I should go for? I want to elaborate greatly on the background (my favourite thing about Warhammer) and perhaps even right an epic story about two boys from Wissenland who end up a long way from their cosy little village.

Cheers

LP
The Barony of Sonnefurt - My Army Background

Sonnefurt in Flames- An Epic Tale of Sonnefurt

Le Pistolet's Monotonous Wissenland Log- My Minis

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2010, 04:03:10 PM »
Welcome to the fold!

I would actually say to look at the Solland thread as well to get some other information about the province.  If you're up for reading there's a lot of role playing stuff going on in that one about a Solland uprising and such.  Both Episwald and Wusterburg featured heavily in that campaign.  Ironically, Wusterburg was the hub of the insurectionist tendencies.

not together.

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2010, 04:26:39 PM »
Wow, just looked through some of the threat, and I must say that looks like it was an excellent project, but incredibly daunting for an outsider to even begin reading. Any idea on where abouts the towns in questioned were talked about, I used the search function but it wasn't particularly useful.

If Wusterburg is fairly insurrectionist, I might have to look into Episwald, even though it does look like that falls more into the territory of old Solland, hmmm. I don't want my leader to be unpopular so looks like I'll choose the place with the leader rebels...

A lot to think about, thanks for the pointers  :happy:

LP

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2010, 05:06:36 PM »
I partook in it for a while and it was daunting for me as well, so don't feel bad. :icon_smile:

I'm not really sure of where in the thread the towns were commented on, but both Episwald and Wusterburg were fairly prominent.  Wusterburg is Uryens de Crux's area and his character (of the same name) was quite the prominent figure.  I believe the Episwald references were mainly from the Lector there and his perspective, but I could be wrong.  Some of the other guys did a better job of keeping up with that stuff.  And honestly, one of them could probably do a better job of it than I at explaining (GamesPoet, Uryens de Crux, Inarticulate, etc.).

I hesitate to tell you to form your fluff around that, though, however.  This was a complete fan run thing and has no official standing so if you want to use Wusterburg or Episwald and take it in a different route than feel free to.  I find the beginning of the Solland thread is better for people trying to figure out the history and landscape of Wissenland or Solland. The end (4-40 it seems :icon_eek: ) is just some fun what if stuff.  If you want to fit in your theme with that that's fine as well, but don't let a bunch of us fanbois online tell you how to run your stuff. :wink:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 05:52:43 PM by wissenlander »

not together.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2010, 05:46:34 PM »
Hi  Le Pistolet, Wissenlander <ack, I feel dirty just saying that ;) > has pointed me in your direction, when I get chance I will fill you in with the Episwald/Wusterburg situation, but as Wiss said, really dont feel preassured to conform to us if you dont want, I picked Wusterburg for the same reasons you like the look of it!

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2010, 10:24:27 PM »
Some of the town names are from known GW fluff, but others could just be from the madalfred site.  Good portions of "The Solland Effort of 2524" project borrowed from that site for its creation.  If I recall correctly, Episwald was taken from there, as was the idea of the Sigmarite Lector being in charge of the town.  Various NPCs were divided up amoung some of the participants in the story campaign, and one of my roles was the Lector in Episwald, telling the story from his point of view while he worked away in the Grand Garden of Episwald, which was purely my own creation for the Lector and the town.

The event was almost a year long effort during a time when there were seemingly no internet campaigns going on, and gave a good reason for some of us to play games, write stories, model & paint.  It was set after the current GW year of 2522 I.C. during what was shown in one fluff calender as a time period called the "Dark Years", 2523 to 2526, which beyond that name, nothing else has been provided by GW.  We chose 2524 because we figured it would have taken at least a year for ideas to form in the characters minds, and provide time for the agreeements that were made with some Solland allies, that were found in the Northern Border Prince areas.  Some of us took characters we've developed and used this to provide more to them, others of us created new charatcers specifically for that event.  I suspect that those who partook in the story campaign will carry some of their fluff into other things at somepoint, and I've even contemplated writing more in the thread itself regarding the story line of my characters, because as the Animosity 4 event got started, I became distracted and unfortunately stopped participating.

I'm thinking of rereading it at some point to use as inspiration for a future campaign similar to that one, although what will develop out of that is far from being determined, and initial ideas are vague at best.

There really is no reason why a person can't create their own fluff for any of the Wissenland towns.  If it bothers you that GW might come along and write something that conflicts with your's, than it might be better to create your own along the lines of how folks like Wissenlander, Derek Contyre, and I have created locations from which our fluff characters come from.

For us fans who put significant time and energy into "The Solland Effort of 2524", our fluff going forward might always be colored by the fun we had during that story campaign. :::cheers:::
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 01:12:38 AM by GamesPoet »

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2010, 11:21:54 PM »
If you want to fit in your theme with that that's fine as well, but don't let a bunch of us fanbois online tell you how to run your stuff. :wink:

I have complete respect for what you guys did, it was truly epic, and I for one would love to be part of something like that again in the future, it sounds like you had a brilliant time. I think I'd rather respect your 'fanboi' stuff and be part of this community properly, just in case you have any campaigns based in Wissenland in the future I could take part and write in (I don't get to game very often at all)

Hi  Le Pistolet, Wissenlander <ack, I feel dirty just saying that ;) > has pointed me in your direction, when I get chance I will fill you in with the Episwald/Wusterburg situation, but as Wiss said, really dont feel preassured to conform to us if you dont want, I picked Wusterburg for the same reasons you like the look of it!

Now, you see, this is why I joined this forum, you guys have the best community out there  :happy:

I would love to see some stuff about the two areas, even if I do decide to build my own town, it will definitely be in that area, so the information would influence you greatly. I will leave you to occupy Wusterburg, but I will be close by, vying to steal your lands... :ph34r:

Cheers guys, Wissenland seems to be the place to be for fluff maniacs like us.  :::cheers:::

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2010, 11:58:37 PM »
It's true, there's a lot of inspiration to be found in this province.  Lots of places and ideas to explore.

not together.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2010, 01:28:00 AM »
Wiss' point is rock solid.

When I started my Empire army in 2008, I seriously considered Wissenland because of the strength of its background.  I went with Averland instead, equally strong flavor for fluff, and prefered the color scheme.  However, I gave Heinrich von Furstenberg and his older brother, a deceased father who married their mother, and she claims Solland descent.  I'm glad the two current provinces and the former are in a way linked together.

Lots of great stuff.

Offline Le Pistolet

• Members
  • Sonnefurt's Scribe
« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2010, 09:19:26 AM »
Well,

I went down the river a bit, and stumbled upon a town called Sonnefurt, and I think I've found a place to call my own. Surrounded by the Solland strongholds of Scharmbeck and Kreutzhoffen to the South and Wusterburg to the North, whilst still being Wissenland through and through gives me a chance to crush you insurrectionists. I have made myself a map, taking the best from the maps in the library and the maps on Mad Alfred's site, and added in a few small villages to make the place more my own. I will boost the population from Mad Alfred's suggestions too, as I the populations he suggested would mean that essentially entire villages form regiments in my army...

I will have some meaningful fluff up soon in the Imperial Office, and I hope you guys will check it out  :happy:

But for now, for the Baroness, for Wissenland!

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2010, 10:20:28 AM »
I am sure we annexed that place in not time, so feel free to have it back :D

At the end of it all (as was our aim all along) nothing changed at all in terms of control, all territory captured was returned to its rightful owners etc and the stalemate continued

But it will be nice to have some simmering local rivalries going on  :::cheers:::

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2010, 11:13:56 AM »
SEO2524 was brilliant and I had immense fun as both the dastardly Black Don and the beleaguered and under-equipped General Hans von Plauten of Wissenland.

I would definitely enjoy another campaign similar to this, there were very flexible rules and everything was agreed upon to both create a nice story and make sure everyone had a good time playing in it. I also made some excellent friends!
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.