home

Author Topic: The Province of OSTERMARK  (Read 53520 times)

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
Re: The Province of OSTERMARK
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 01:44:16 PM »
No need for apologies, I was being facetious  :happy:
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline badgernine

• Members
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2008, 09:24:24 PM »
Hey all, I decided to paint my Brand spankin new Empire Models in the Ostermark colors. Mainly because I liked the purple and white colors, and like Purple. (I painted my last army in Purple) So, how do you all go about painting the colors? For the white, I'm asumming bleached bone, with some sort of ink or wash?

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 03:52:41 PM »
Hey Badgernine.  I'd love to help you with that question, but I'm not much of a painter.  You can either try and wait out a response (as these threads don't get looked at as much as they should) or you can post the same question over in the Brush and Palette.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Dreadaxe

• Members
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2008, 02:22:37 PM »
It seems that the famous regiment was described in WD - but I can only suspect - WFRP sources don't mention about it (but I still haven't read the Sylvanian expansion), there is nothing about them in Mordheim sources... The only details we know about it are:
-the name
-the colours (red and black, as Van Der Walt mentioned)

Describe to WD? Which?
Death's Head state troup are only quote to WFB4 AB Empire page 51. The french edition say Red and White but maybe i't's a error of translate.
Dreadaxe

Offline JGraham

• Members
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2008, 04:15:16 AM »
Topic says it all.  Can anyone recommend any sources for the background of the Death's Head regiment?  It seems it might have been described in an earlier Empire army book, and perhaps a White Dwarf.  Any specifics?

I've been looking for a paint scheme for the state troops in my Witchhunter-themed army, and red and black would fit quite nicely.

Cheers,
Jim

Offline Vann Harl

• Members
  • Wolf Brother
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2008, 08:52:32 AM »
There's a nice little modeling tip I can suggest.

Take the skull motif used for empire shields and clip off the middle pring on the crown. It can now be used very nicely as a chest plate for Soldiers and knights. It will require that you file down the existing chest of the torso. But if you make it really flush then you have a model with a huge skull on his chest and can look quite cool

Grand Writing Competition winning entry;
"I was there! With the Men of Erlach!"

"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious"
- Oscar Wilde

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2008, 09:05:55 AM »
Can anyone recommend any sources for the background of the Death's Head regiment?  It seems it might have been described in an earlier Empire army book, and perhaps a White Dwarf.  Any specifics?

I think it's just a name. This is the only information I am aware of:

Quote from: province guide
The Death’s Head Regiment, formed during the wars of the vampire counts, are an exception to the usual colour scheme of the Ostermark army, wearing black and red uniforms.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2008, 12:12:40 PM »
Yohoo!
Here I was going to do a Stirland army, but then I realize I do not need to repaint the colour scheme of my only painted Halberdier regiment, since they are BLACK & RED!

Here, have a kiss Rufus! You saved my day!  :icon_mrgreen: :::cheers:::
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline JGraham

• Members
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2008, 05:37:42 PM »
My search-fu found this:
Death's Head state troup are only quote to WFB4 AB Empire page 51. The french edition say Red and White but maybe i't's a error of translate

Anyone with the 4th edition Empire army book care to take a look at page 51 and let me know what it says about the Death's Head?

Much obliged,
Jim

Offline Powder Monkey

• Members
  • OhohOH Aah AAAHH!!
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2008, 05:41:54 PM »
I think they were mentioned also in 'The Empire at War', though my memory is a bit vague there... Is anybody in possession of that book and can confirm?

Your Powder Mnemonkey
I'm pro-monkey. Anyone who isn't is evil.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2008, 11:17:53 PM »
My search-fu found this:
Death's Head state troup are only quote to WFB4 AB Empire page 51. The french edition say Red and White but maybe i't's a error of translate

Anyone with the 4th edition Empire army book care to take a look at page 51 and let me know what it says about the Death's Head?

Much obliged,
Jim

It says what I already quoted.  :icon_lol:

Less, in fact:

"...the Death's Head regiment of Ostermark (black and red)...

Quote from: Mathi Alfblut
Here, have a kiss Rufus! You saved my day!

Thanks!
If I wanted to.

Offline ZehKaiser

• Members
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2008, 11:28:39 PM »
I think they were mentioned also in 'The Empire at War', though my memory is a bit vague there... Is anybody in possession of that book and can confirm?

Your Powder Mnemonkey

I have the "Empire at War" (great fluff btw, better than the AB) but unfortunately it doesn't have fluff about the Death's Head Regiment of Ostermark.  It does however have fluff about the Black Guard Regiment of Ostland.  So I can easily see the confusion.  I've got plenty of excerpts I'd post but I'm not sure if I can w/out breaking the rules.  But suffice to say they are pretty badass (they're greatswords btw).
Veteran of the Storm of Chaos, Lustria, and Nemesis Crown Campaigns.
Podhammer - The Warhammer Podcast

Offline JGraham

• Members
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2008, 11:44:15 PM »
My search-fu found this:

Much obliged,
Jim

It says what I already quoted.  :icon_lol:

Less, in fact:

"...the Death's Head regiment of Ostermark (black and red)...

Such detail!  Is this in the context of listing the colors of regiments that differ in color from the standard state troop colors?  Where does the Vampire Wars bit come from?

Inquiring minds need to know!

Jim

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2008, 11:49:45 PM »
Yes, it's the part where they mention exceptions to the general provincial colours - in between the scarlet guard of Stirland and the Carroburg greatswords.

I'm not sure where the vampire wars bit came from. Possibly it was just a guess.
If I wanted to.

Offline JGraham

• Members
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2008, 12:21:45 AM »
From such humble beginnings, mighty empires are built!

Cheers for the info,
Jim

Offline . Ostermark .

• Members
  • The Ostermark
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2008, 11:14:25 PM »
here, this is from the official games-workshop Australia Site. red and black with yellow details. :-D

Yes this is the man who makes things that go boom in a very pretty way.

Offline Krieger von berg

• Members
  • The Ostermark
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2008, 11:52:22 PM »
Hey everyone.

Im new to warhammer and am very excited about starting my collection. I read my rulebook and the army book and I have decided on collecting a force from the Ostermark. Mainly because i really the purple and yellow color scheme and i think the backround story is quiet interesting. When i was deciding on where from the Ostermark my army would be from i was intrested in creating a 'themed' army. I liked the idea of some soldiers that come from the mountains with big beards and stuff, which is why i named my Captain Krieger von Berg which i believe is 'Man of Mountain' in German. I thought it suited an alpine force quiet well.

I thought it would be really fun to make a winter themed force, and have the models sort of rugged up in lots of armour and clothes. When i was looking at the selection of boxed sets at the Games Workshop store the empire minatures were a bit...soft, they didnt look they had lived in the ostermark and endured alot of harsh winters and fierce battles so i looked around at some other minatures from the other armies and spotted the brettonian peasents, Perfect.

They look more like the soldiers i was after, lots of leather armour and rag-tag clothing. As it says in the library section of this website, the Ostermark is technologically backward and so would not make heavy use of more advanced equiptment eg. Helblaster volley guns and Helstorm Rocket Launchers and would use less expensive and weapons that were easier to maintain such as the spear and the bow. So with my mind made up i bought a box set of empire statetroops (for the spear and halberd tips and the heads) a box of Bretonnian peasents, some paint, brushes, glue, modelling sand and some snow.

I quickly assembled a few guys and got to painting, im really enjoying it so far and i cant wait to upload a few pictures of my guys when their finished.

please give me any comments and suggestions on uniform patterns, backround stories anything at all that could help me, after all im the newb :icon_wink:

Thankyou and wish me luck :laugh:

James

Offline Overlord Fuzz

• Members
  • Sigmund of the Sacred Scythe
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2009, 03:09:24 PM »
I really like the fluff behind Ostermark and also it's name. Do you think a teal and black color scheme would look good and be okay in terms of fluff. I just didn't want to be like all other armies with a primary of purple, and so on.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 03:12:57 PM by Overlord Fuzz »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2009, 03:31:58 PM »
Teal and black would look smashing IMO. Not necessarily Ostermark, but nice all the same.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2009, 08:17:25 PM »
I actually went with yellow and burgundy instead of yellow and purple as it looks that way in my army book. It wasn't until after I started painting them that I found it was actually yellow and purple. After looking at some Empire painted yellow and purple, I found I didn't really like the yellow and purple so much, and that I actually liked the yellow and burgundy more. You can see in my Painting Log post from the Brush and Palette. There isn't much there now, but I will have some more uploaded soon.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re:
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2009, 03:57:59 AM »
Yellow and burgandy works well too IMO. Dont get too hung up on it.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Doppelsoldner

• Members
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2009, 02:11:41 AM »
Having returned to Warhammer after several years (actually I was a 40k player but collected Bretonnian and Wood Elf minitures) I have decided to paint up an Empire army in Ostermark colours.

One thing that I would like to know is where Ostermark fits into real world history in geographical terms.  Osterreich is another name for Austria and I wondered if anyone had done any research into this.  Fluff for my army centres around the town of Landungsbrucke on a tributary of the river Stir close to Karak Kadrin.  My idea was that this town would echo the silver mining regions of medieval Czech towns like Kurtna Hora and Jhilava; providing silver for the Imperial mint and receiving military aid in return.

Does this fluff sound acceptable?

Offline Castozor

• Members
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2009, 07:05:11 PM »
Having returned to Warhammer after several years (actually I was a 40k player but collected Bretonnian and Wood Elf minitures) I have decided to paint up an Empire army in Ostermark colours.

One thing that I would like to know is where Ostermark fits into real world history in geographical terms.  Osterreich is another name for Austria and I wondered if anyone had done any research into this.  Fluff for my army centres around the town of Landungsbrucke on a tributary of the river Stir close to Karak Kadrin.  My idea was that this town would echo the silver mining regions of medieval Czech towns like Kurtna Hora and Jhilava; providing silver for the Imperial mint and receiving military aid in return.

Does this fluff sound acceptable?

I think that sounds acceptable enough. I don't think anyone would mind giving military support if you gave them silver in return.  :-)

About the geography: I'm not sure if one should place the various provinces on a realworld map as to acquire information about what people would be doing in that province. But that's just my opinion and your guess and opinions are as good as mine

Castozor

Offline Doppelsoldner

• Members
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2009, 02:08:24 AM »
Cheers for help.

Offline Klaus

• Members
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2010, 07:32:39 PM »
I hope i'm not going to cause any trouble by posting here.

After much deliberation, and aching over the pictures in the Heraldry of the Empire book, i've eventually decided that my slowly growing army will be an Ostermark one (truth be told, though, I was already leaning in this direction anyway).

For the Empire, Ostermark, Hertwig & Menshenfresserhoffen!  :smile2: