home

Author Topic: The Province of AVERLAND (+ The Moot)  (Read 118880 times)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Re: The Province of AVERLAND (+ The Moot)
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2008, 09:14:58 AM »
OOOOH - I am so tempted to merge it with this one ..............   

:engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2008, 10:37:42 AM »
I'll un-merge it if you do.

No one ever looks at this part of the forum!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2008, 10:55:40 AM »
I know they were a pretty dull paintjob, but those spearmen I loaned Obi at the Eurobash were Averlanders, and I have mentioned they are one of my Empire armies ................

I'm just not going to own up around Karl and Co.
 :engel:

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2008, 10:57:14 AM »
You've got huge numbers of those Mordheim Averlanders too. I was very tempted to steal them...  :icon_smile:
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2008, 07:14:55 PM »
The unmade ones came out a week or so ago and I washed them ready to put them on slotta bases and I broke the halberd off one of them - one of the forward pointing ones - I need to do some fancy repair work on it.

I think I have about 14 in total - I bought one of each of 4 models - Captain with sword and pistol, the swordsman, and the two versions of the halberd - angled forward and at port arms.

I then picked up an ebay auction about two years ago and got another 10 mixed models. I have trimmed a couple of the halberds to make them spears as they do make excellent unit champs.
The swords guys go quite well with the old Ed.5 greatswords.

They are quite 'big' - I think it is the large hats and feathers, and so they look a bit strange if you try to mix them with normal troopers.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2008, 08:54:46 PM »
EDIT- solved it.

I'm not to sharp on the older mordheim models.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 09:00:13 PM by Karl Voss of Averland »
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline Struecker von Lengenfeld

• Members
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2008, 03:57:09 AM »
water, vines and grapes...thats a really good idea actually.

Its hard to keep up with all the fluff changing so much, GW needs to bring out a book for each province and clear all this stuff up so we can go from there.
"Surgere iste terra" - Stand your ground!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2008, 10:51:51 AM »
Yes, I haven't fully implemented my river, grapes, and vines idea yet, but might still do it.  Its more than likely a longer term goal than what I first thought.

Interesting idea regarding books for the various counties/provinces.  Not sure they could pull it off because they'd need enough interest/buyers to make the effort worth it.  Maybe one book with general fluff guidelines, yet sometimes I like the nebulousness of the current fluff becasue it allows for flexibility in creating one's own in a fantasy environment.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 01:56:30 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

• Members
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2008, 11:13:20 AM »
hmm goodpoint, maybe a book like you said "Provinces of the empire" or something, give us a bit more genuine fluff to play with.

• Members
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2008, 01:04:31 AM »
Lengenfeld

Lengenfeld is a large rural town on the border or Averland, east of Averheim and south-west of Nuln. Lengenfeld has a large population and most of these citizens either belong to the Lengenfeld provincial army or have had some form of military training. Lengenfeld is a rich and prosperous town and much of its wealth comes from farming. The entire town is surrounded by miles of grassland and farmland, which around a third of the population work on and harvest. It is because of this that Lengenfeld has been able to prosper over the years and the population has more then doubled within the last century. If a citizen of Lengenfeld is not a farmer or soldier then they make up the other roughly quarter of the population that work within the city itself including merchants, proprietors, fletchers, armourers and storeowners. Due to the fact that Lengenfeld lies on the shores of the Aver, some of the townsfolk are fishermen and lots of the towns provisions are stocked daily with the fish caught from the Aver.

Lengenfeld lies roughly half way between Averheim and Nuln, so a lot of trade vessels passing between these two cities stop at Lengenfeld and rest. Many travelling merchants and ships crew stay at the famous Drunken’ Halfling Inn, owned and run by two halfling brothers Smithe and Biffe. It is because of these trade ships that a small amount of black powder weapons and artillery are unloaded at Lengenfeld and traded for food and supplies to last the rest of the journey along the Aver.

Besides the Cannons and Handguns of Nuln, the Armies of Lengenfeld don’t widely use black powder weapons, only the highest ranking officers and elite regiments are given access to these weapons and the rest of the army make use of the sword and shield, the spear and the crossbow.

Lengenfelds elite forces consist of ‘The Ruyters’ skilled horsemen that have mastered the skill of firing black powder weapons on horseback. The Ruyters weapon of choice is the pistol and usually carry a pair, commonly known as a brace of them. Though it is highly unlikely , some Ruyters may carry more sophisticated firearms such as the repeater pistol or the repeater handgun, but these deadly weapons are very hard to come by and the Ruyters only have a small number of these weapons in their possession.

The Greatswordsmen are the elite infantry of Lengenfeld and to be accepted into a regiment of Greatswordsmen is to reach the highest honour a soldier can reach in Lengenfeld…besides Captain or General. These men are the personal retinue to Captain Karl GrÜber and never leave his side. In times of war, The Greatswordsmen serve as Captain GrÜber’s personal body guard and will fight to the death for their captain. In times of peace they guard the captains personal quarters and guard special occasions such as castle feast’s and celebrations.

Sigmar has a very strong presence in Lengenfeld and there are many shrines and churches within the town. When the army of Lengenfeld marches to war, Aurich Werden, will always march along with it, when General Struecker von Lengenfeld is absent from the battlefield, Captain GrÜber will serve as the armies commander and Aurich will take up the role of second in command, and lead a section of the army. Before a battle, Aurich will pray to Sigmar and bless the army before the fighting begins

Captain GrÜber is a mighty warrior and leader. He started out as a spearmen and after fighting in several small encounters against Beastmen herds north of Averheim and Greenskin warbands harassing small settlements south of black fire pass, and at the age of twenty one he earned the rank of Sergeant. For another Decade GrÜber led his spearmen unit in many minor battles. It was when the Greenskin’s poured over Blackfire Pass that the true test of the Lengenfeld armies courage and skill would be witnessed. Envoys from Averheim travelled to all the provinces in Averland and to the emperor in Altdorf at the request of the Elector Count of that time Marius Leitdorf. The Army of Lengenfeld Mustered and marched to war. Thousands of Averlanders gathered at the base of the pass and a sea of yellow and black uniforms, shining swords and spearheads glistened in the morning sunshine. As the Greenskin Horde fell upon the defenders of Averland Seargent GrÜbers Spearmen were one of the first Regiments to receive the charge, the fighting lasted many hours and the dead piled high, The Emperor Karl Franz Arrived to see a gory battlefield of Thousands of dead orc’s and men strewn as far as the eye could see, and after the combined armies of Reikland and Averland repelled the greenskins and drove them back over the pass a tragedy was yet to come to light.
Elector Count Marius Leitdorf had been killed in the fighting along with General Krueger Smicht of Lengenfeld. Many men lost their lives that day though Seargent GrÜber was not one of them. He returned to Lengenfeld as a hero and was given the honour of becoming a Greatswordsmen. Captain Struecker was Promoted to General and the Lengenfeld Army functioned normally without a captain, Aurich Werden, Warrior Priest of Sigmar filled the role of Captain if one was ever needed.

Though when the threat of Chaos grew once more in the north, and the storm of Chaos begin, GrÜber was promoted to Captain. General Struecker von Lengenfeld, Captain Karl GrÜber and Aurich Werden all marched north at the head of the Lengenfeld Provincial Army along with the combined armies of Averland, the Grand Army of Averhiem and the Army of Nuln to Altdorf and with one combined force of the Southern and Eastern Provinces Marching under the Imperial Banner and under the command of Emperor Karl Franz, the Army was able to relieve the siege of Middenhiem and the chaos horde was broken, The army of Lengenfeld returned to Averland and continues to defend Lengenfeld and Averland to this day.

Recorded MMDXXII -  2522
Scholar Phintius Franzis.
Library of Lengenfeld

hope you enjoyed reading it, thankyou all.

Struecker  :ph34r:

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2008, 10:40:25 PM »
Did you write all that? Nicely done!

I'd recommend checking out Sigmar's Heirs:
http://www.amazon.com/Sigmars-Heirs-Warhammer-Fantasy-Roleplaying/dp/1844162656

It's got tons of stuff in it like that and cultural information. Good read.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2008, 10:53:33 PM »
Hi Streucker,

That's some good stuff there, yet it might have been better placed in the Imperial Office.  This tends to be an area for discussion of the province rather then everyone's stories.  Perhaps Midaski or Warlord can move it for you (maybe even with Karl's post, too), and they can feel free to delete my post here entirely as well.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Von Breden

• Members
  • Remembering the Eccentric
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2008, 11:09:20 PM »

I like your story almost as much as I like my little tank.
Seriously, great story, but the name Grüber made me laugh so hard I started crying...

Great story nonetheless! Honour and bravery, as befits a true Averlander!
Blackfire Pass? Our characters might have met! :biggriin:
Quote from: Siberius
I never noticed your height on account of your fabulous manly imperial beard.

He who has such amazing facial hair will never be short in the eyes of his comrades!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2008, 11:53:43 PM »
Hi Streucker,

That's some good stuff there, yet it might have been better placed in the Imperial Office.  This tends to be an area for discussion of the province rather then everyone's stories.  Perhaps Midaski or Warlord can move it for you (maybe even with Karl's post, too), and they can feel free to delete my post here entirely as well.

I think it can fit here too - to be honest, I actually moved it here from the Electors... though IO may have been a better choice...
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2008, 11:54:57 PM »
I wouldn't worry to much. Consider this place to be the default home for all things Averland

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2008, 12:00:21 AM »
I wouldn't worry to much. Consider this place to be the default home for all things Averland
Exactly my thoughts.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• Members
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2008, 03:31:56 AM »
thanks everyone, yes sorry i didnt really know where to put it :?, well i wrote it all when i was at work oneday because i needed to write up some fluff and where better to do that then work aye?

I like your story almost as much as I like my little tank.
Seriously, great story, but the name Grüber made me laugh so hard I started crying...

Great story nonetheless! Honour and bravery, as befits a true Averlander!
Blackfire Pass? Our characters might have met!

hahahahahahahahahha that picture made me laugh so much, i showed it to my brother and he went nuts lol :laugh:. I got the name Gruber from Die Hard 1 lol! Yer blackfire pass, i dint really know how to incorporate my guys into the SoC so i just made it blackfire pass instead, whos your character and where did he fight? i'd love to iinclude him in the fluff somewhere.

Did you write all that? Nicely done!

thankyou! yes i wrote it all, except microsoft spell check helped me alot. touche Microsoft :::cheers:::

Hi Streucker,

thanks, and yeh sorry bout that, i didnt really know about the imperial office to much? :|

thankyou all for your comments.

Struecker :ph34r:

Offline Irisado

• Members
  • Retired Amethyst Wizard Lord
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2008, 12:25:17 PM »
Struecker von Lengenfeld: I really like your army background, especially how you've tied it into the culture of Averland, and a big historical battle.  It all has a very professional feel, and I think that the story flows very well.  An excellent piece of writing overall!
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente.

Offline Von Breden

• Members
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2008, 05:15:12 PM »
My general is Jakob Von Breden, Captain in the State Army of Averland. In the Battle of Blackfire Pass, he led his pikemen deep into the ranks of the enemy army. They were followed by regiments of swordsmen who handily took advantage of the confusion caused in the greenskins to pick them off. He then climbed a horse that somehow was wandering the battlefield on his own and fought his way to the Elector Count and his greatswords. He charged the Orc warlord and drove his sword deep into its green skin, allowing the knocked-down count to get up. He was then knocked of his horse and lost consciousness.

He also fought in the Storm of Chaos, but he is only remembered as one of the millions of soldiers who faced the massive hordes of the Lord of the End Times.

I need to start working on my fluff again... It's been too long.

He who has such amazing facial hair will never be short in the eyes of his comrades!

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2008, 08:13:33 PM »
Karl Voss was also at the battle of black fire pass where Leitdorf fell (much of Averland's army was there) but he was still a young man in the middle of a sword regiment. Most of the older veterans were killed and Voss stepped up and held the regiment together as the Reiksguard knights charged into the battle.

Offline Alberich Haupt-Anderssen

• Members
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2008, 04:20:32 AM »
Stirland was here, The Moot is ours!  :icon_evil:
Yes, all of my posts are in character, from now on anyway.

Offline Von Breden

• Members
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2008, 12:27:10 PM »
That made sense...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2008, 08:19:57 PM »
... to a Stirlander. :icon_wink:

I was just thinking, the area where many of my Averland characters are from, up on the Aver River just to the west of the Moot, is directly across from Stirland.  Hmmm ... maybe we need to call out the troops.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2008, 09:35:18 PM »
Stirlanders. They have their own backwoods language don't they?

Don't forget we've got one of the greatest fortresses in the Old World right on their border  :wink:

Offline Alberich Haupt-Anderssen

• Members
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2008, 11:44:19 PM »
At least we can pick a leader (me :closed-eyes: )

p.s. death to halflings
Yes, all of my posts are in character, from now on anyway.