home

Author Topic: Independent Armies  (Read 52818 times)

Offline HistoryBuff08

• Members
  • Capitan of the Estalian Tercio
Re: Independent Armies
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 01:41:30 PM »
Hope this isn't threadomancy, but what the hey....

My army hails from Magritta, from the realm of Estalia. Its a crusade of sorts, led by the zealous ex-matadour turned military captian Alezandro Ortega. It is mainly based on inantry, as such a private army doesn't have great funds, but it des have the backing of the Estalian Inquisition, and Alezandro's patron is none other than the Inquisitor Miguel De San Terrinado.Alezandro ha wiped the smallmilitary into a frenzy, ready to strike back against the Brettonians who have raided his proud homeland for so long. In essence, its a crazy bunch of nationalists, fervently supporting Estalian heritage.

And also @ karl von Drak: PAUL MCGAIN(sp?) for the Win! Dr WHO!!!!
Check out my Army Blog in the Brush and Pallette!

Podhammer: what real Nerds use their iPod for.

Offline Laerniss

• Members
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2008, 08:37:31 PM »
My army hails from Magritta, from the realm of Estalia.... In essence, its a crazy bunch of nationalists, fervently supporting Estalian heritage.

Where does one find history and background for Estalia these days? From the background I'd guess that the Brettonian army book could be a minor source. Have there been any articles in White Dwarf or are you using RPG materials?  I'm just curious.

Since you're posting here with us I assume you're using Empire as the base army...any Dogs of War units added into the list? Duelists, pikesmen or galloper guns perhaps?

- Laerniss

Offline HistoryBuff08

• Members
  • Capitan of the Estalian Tercio
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2008, 09:39:05 PM »
Where does one find history and background for Estalia these days? From the background I'd guess that the Brettonian army book could be a minor source. Have there been any articles in White Dwarf or are you using RPG materials?  I'm just curious.

Well, i've been able to find a fair amount on the web, in various places, and there is tons of info onspanish culture and military etc. everywhere.

Since you're posting here with us I assume you're using Empire as the base army...any Dogs of War units added into the list? Duelists, pikesmen or galloper guns perhaps?

It was originally goin to be a DoW army, but i didn't like the inflexibility of that list (low magic items, troop selection, over priced RoR!, etc.) and so i feel it'll probably be a mostly pure Empire army with a few counts as minis.
Check out my Army Blog in the Brush and Pallette!

Podhammer: what real Nerds use their iPod for.

Offline Brother Magnus

• Members
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2008, 04:23:11 AM »
I'm new to the WH mini's game (40k player for a while) but I've been into WFRP for sometime.  My question - I saw something about a Sigmarite Army - being a big fan of the Warrior-Priests (from the RPG), I was wanting to make a Sigmarite Army - is there any special considerations I would need to look into?  What is the colour scheme - would there be a uniformed one?  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Laerniss

• Members
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2008, 03:39:50 PM »
... I was wanting to make a Sigmarite Army - is there any special considerations I would need to look into?  What is the colour scheme - would there be a uniformed one?  Any help would be appreciated.

It depends on the fluff you come up with Magnus. Any character can lead a sigmarite army...there are several knightly orders loyal to Sigmar, so a Grandmaster would be a good choice too. Light wizards work well with Sigmar priests as both orders are particularly concerned about daemons/undead. An Empire general or captain could be a devoted veteran who decided to devote his military skills to the church of Sigmar, perhaps after being healed by a priest or witnessing a miracle.

Recruits could be roving bands of militia and flagellates who decided to join up after hearing a sermon for one of your characters. Your troops could also be well equipped knights or "state" troops that are supported by the local church. The Cult of Sigmar wields a significant amount of wealth and power in the Empire, they can afford just as fine weapons and soldiers as any Elector Count or city-state.

I'm a fan of the Three Musketeers. If you've ever read the book or seen the 1970s version with Michael York (please no fans of Disney's version or "the musketeer") the "villian" the Cardinal had an ample guard of his own complete with uniforms which were different from both the musketeer's and the normal soldier's uniforms.

The sky is the limit!

- Laerniss

Offline Brother Magnus

• Members
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2008, 10:28:08 PM »
So it would be entirely plausable, lets say for a friendly 750 pt game, for a warrior-priest to lead a group of flagellants, knights and 'Church' Soldiers out into the field to scout out a potential hazard or something to that effect?

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2008, 10:35:52 PM »
Definitely.  The Sigmarites have such wealth and prominence that it's possible to have an army build in any fashion.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Caiaphus

• Members
  • Only the dead have seen the end of war- MacArthur
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2008, 10:33:36 AM »
I can never decide on a fluff for an army. I change it everytime I see another wonderfully painted and modeled army. But at the moment, its a small army that has been 'loaned' to a vampire hating Witch Hunter.

Slay the undead! Purge the dreaded servants of the most blasphemous liche!
"I would hate for some...Imperial General to get banned from such an excellent site because of an extraneous penis"

Rufas the Ecccentric (R.I.P)

Offline Brother Magnus

• Members
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2008, 05:47:16 PM »
Well then - I shall have my army (which has conveniently been upped to 1k points), led by Brother Lukas Jaeger - a stauch warrior and devout follower of Sigmar.  He was given a small contingent of troops, swordsmen, archers, handgunners the church recruited - and he also did some leg work to contact the Hunters of Sigmar in the area of Wissenland, which he was able to find one - Sir Edmund Nachtmann - who happened to kno where to find a small contingent of more Hunters of Sigmar. 

Brother Lukas mentioned to Sir Edmund that there had been several sightings of dark elves in the southern area of Wissenland and he was charged with investigating it - or something..

Anyway - that's what I've come up with.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2008, 05:51:51 PM »
So what you're saying is...

You want a Wissenland army!

No, not really...ok. :dry:

Good fluff to start, but I have one question.  Dark Elves in Wissenland?  Usually they are only found on the coast since they perform raids to get slaves.  Wissenland seems a bit far inland for large bands of Dark Elves, unless you have a backstory that explains it.  If you do, that's fine, I'd love to read it. :-D

not together.

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2008, 06:08:15 PM »
Wait a minute !

Both the Jaegers and the Nachtmanns are reputed REIKLAND families. To have them defect from the great white flock would be unthinkable !

But seriously, this sounds like a great idea for an army. Should you be able to get your hands on the Empire collection guide, there is a great looking witch hunter army in there which might inspire you...
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Brother Magnus

• Members
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2008, 07:27:34 PM »
So what you're saying is...

You want a Wissenland army!

No, not really...ok. :dry:

Good fluff to start, but I have one question.  Dark Elves in Wissenland?  Usually they are only found on the coast since they perform raids to get slaves.  Wissenland seems a bit far inland for large bands of Dark Elves, unless you have a backstory that explains it.  If you do, that's fine, I'd love to read it. :-D

The dude I'm playin against has his dark elves in the Border Princes - that's about all he told me...I don't kno what they're doing there - but I kno that they pose a threat to our mighty Empire and must be stopped.!

Wait a minute !

Both the Jaegers and the Nachtmanns are reputed REIKLAND families. To have them defect from the great white flock would be unthinkable !

But seriously, this sounds like a great idea for an army. Should you be able to get your hands on the Empire collection guide, there is a great looking witch hunter army in there which might inspire you...

Well, Lukas Jaeger IS from Reikland (he was an NPC in a WFRP game I ran) and Sir Edmund Nachtmann was a Reiklander as well - but he signed on to the Hunters of Sigmar to erradicate chaos and evil thru-out the Empire hence - he isn't in Reikland :)

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2008, 07:38:37 PM »
Well there you go!  Makes enough sense.  And do please prevent those elves from defiling our land. :closed-eyes:

not together.

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2008, 07:51:08 PM »
Well there you go!  Makes enough sense.  And do please prevent those elves from defiling our land. :closed-eyes:

As if they need anyone but you for that !  :engel:

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2008, 04:52:52 PM »
I play a Marienburg army myself. Just couldn't pass up on combining the flair of the Dogs of War with the overall uniformity and precision of the Empire. Now if I could just finish those pirates...

Offline donhoe

• Members
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2008, 06:42:59 AM »
I played this army with the theme of Reikland.

In my place, i have this private forum which created for our own gaming group. Writing all the background and fluff of our army

My Commander in Chief will be a General Lord, Prince Donnian. God son of Karl Franz. Adopted by the emperor. haha.

we write all kind of stories before and after battles. All stories are link up. If get compile, it will be a novels of our very own.

My armies major colors are red and white, which represent Reiklands theme. But under Prince Donnian commands, they will have this furs, head gear or turbands etc in Yellow and Red.

Offline Draketh Firewind

• Members
  • May the psykengy be with you
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2008, 11:46:26 PM »
My army is a witch hunter army, we roam the lands dealing out divine justice to all chaos followers, we do not trust mages as they use chaos to perform their magic except for the ones of cleansing fire (blight order).

So my army is to be run by priests, no mages in my army except maybe a fire mage, the whole cleansing, purifying fire thing...

This is looking to be my first army that has limits due to fluff reasons and I look forward to playing it in the field.
Everyone is a little psychopathic 'cause if we weren't... the world would be a boring place

Offline xxadriaanxx

• Members
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2008, 03:37:20 PM »
I was thinking of making a vampire  hunter army.
I found a colour scheme that i liked but that wasn't existing yet.
Than i wanted snow bases, but i didn't want kislev.
Than in my armybook i read about silvanya, were the the vampires attacked.
So i was thinking of making a free fought army wich likes to hunt vampires in the snow lands of silvanya.
questions:
Is there something like a silvanya army? what colors they use?
Is there a vampire hunting army?
Is there a city, village or ruins in silvanya?
please anwser, hope i posted in right forum.
thanks

Offline Hooch

• Members
  • Formerly Hoochlander
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2008, 04:28:57 PM »
thanks

1) Yes, White Dwarf had details on the State Army of Sylvania, can't remember which one know, but use the Search Function for 'Sylvanian Army' 'Sylvanian Colours' or 'Drakenhof' not sure of the spellings though.

2) There are Witch Hunters, and some of them hunt vampires too. In fact, in the old VC book, there was a priests guide to how to kill a Vampire. So yes, there are Vampire Hunters, and I'm sure they could raise and army.

3) Yes, again do a Search somewhere, or look in a VC book.

Hope I helped

Hooch

Offline xxadriaanxx

• Members
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2008, 06:45:44 PM »
Thank you for the quick tips and comments.  :happy:
My colors are,
scaly green-hawk turquoise
adeptus battle grey-astromian grey
feathers: lich purple-warlock purple
armor: boltgun, shining gold (just metallics)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2008, 01:50:44 AM »
There is. They use Red and Purple as their colours - and you may find some info about them in the Stirland Province topic (as Sylvania is part of Stirland).

There is no Vampire Hunting army per se, as for the most part the Empire believes the vampires are dead. However like Hoochlander said, their are plenty of Witch Hunters (Templars of Sigmar) and they would hunt all abominations - Vampires being a key offender. So yes, if they were travelling in Sylvania, and discovered enough evidence to rally an army together, they most definitely would. Witch Hunters excel at calling together devout Sigmarites (Flagellants and Warrior Priests) as well as the common man in frenzied mobs. They also would likely summon more Templars to the cause too.

There would be many villages / ruins in Sylvania that a Witch Hunter could use as a base of operations. I would suggest buying the VC book, as that has the most up to date (fluff wise) map of Sylvania, and there may be some places on the map that appeal to you. Otherwise, you could look at Empire maps of south Averland or Easter Stirland for places of interest.

This is the right place to post these questions - its just a matter of members also checking these threads and replying to them - which in time I'm sure will be ingrained behaviour...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2008, 06:36:50 PM »

We've got an entire campaign built around Marienburg now. Can we get our own thread here or are we eternally stuck in the "other" category.  :-P

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2008, 07:19:45 AM »

We've got an entire campaign built around Marienburg now. Can we get our own thread here or are we eternally stuck in the "other" category.  :-P

So that's the reason you joined the campaign team.

Offline Union General

• Members
  • Kicking butt since 1863.
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2008, 02:30:27 AM »
http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=22463.0
My army is based in the New World and is a steampunkification of the Empire (I turned handgunners into troops in the style of the American Civil War  :icon_cool:). Check the above link to find out more and to see a few pictures.
-The General
I like your thinking  Mr. General  what a Genius

Offline sniperjolly

• Members
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
I was thinking of a Myrmidian army, with capetuses, spears + sheilds (the front row uses swords+sheilds the back uses spears, is that possible?), full plate pikemen (count-as greatswords) and the self proclamed true high priest(ess, haven't desided yet :blush:) I might add some nuln cannon crew and handgunners, as the center of worship (besides tilea) is nuln. Detachments may be fanatics or pilgrims (free company) and I may have some very confused flagellents. (bearing a banner that reads Ranald! Sigmar! Myrmidia! REPENT!!!!) I havent started yet, suggestions are welcome.

PS. nice army General.

EDIT: and order of the blazing sun, of course.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 05:55:34 PM by sniperjolly »
What's up with that Phillyt guy... he's not what I would call '' pleasant''.