home

Author Topic: The Empire Provinces Poll  (Read 90911 times)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
The Empire Provinces Poll
« on: May 06, 2007, 05:10:36 PM »
As part of the "Welcome to the Empire" Forum we (and with a lot of convincing argument from Fafnir) thought it would be a useful to have a guide to the popularity of the various Provinces.

This is intended as an opportunity for members to 'join in' in their threads of choice, exchanging information/ideas/tips about their favourites.
As always the definitive guide remains "A is for Altdorf" in the library:

http://www.warhammer-empire.com/library/guide/guide_index.php

Existing members can indicate their allegiances and guests or new members could see the favourites and the 'not so well' supported - this may well help in choosing which army you wish to build.

You will also noticed that each Province and each City State also has its own dedicated thread which contains more information and helpful links, and over time will, we hope, grow with members' contributions of such thing as as modelling and painting tips, links to their armies in our Gallery.

I have shown some links to maps I found and our thanks are due to Andreas Blicher (aka Black Spectrum),
 and Alfred Nuñez Jr. (aka Mad Alfred).
Andreas' site is here: http://www.andreas.blicher.info/

There is another site that you may find useful where Dave Graffam has taken the maps produced by Andreas and Alfred and added colour. His site here:
http://www.windsofchaos.com/?page_id=24
shows the whole set.

and it looks like he is always adding new stuff - you can never have too much fluff eh?

Please note: You are allowed TWO votes in this poll as we know a lot of members actually have more than one ( some even more) different Empire army.
You may want to exercise caution here - viewing all the wealth of good stuff on this site may cause a rethink, and rushing to vote and then changing your mind after reading some of the other information could be a rash decision.
That is why we have been so kind and given you two votes - for the 'other' army you may build later. :engel:

We have also included Kislev, because it has always been an intrinsic part of Empire fluff and because I am biased. :icon_wink:

There is also an 'Others' vote option with a matching thread 'Independent Armies' thread for all those of you who do not have an allegiance to a particular city or province.
Cult of Ulric, Marienburg, Sigmarites would come under this banner - well probably not the same banner, certainly not an Ulric one for a Sigmarite army, but hey you know what I mean ...............  :engel:

Reasons:
a) They are still important parts of The Empire world.
b) A legal Empire army can be run with just a Kislev or Marienburg theme. (Especially by the Emperor and a certain Mod :icon_wink:)
c) We still hope GW will eventually do something with the potential.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 07:05:46 PM by Midaski »
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
Re: The Empire Provinces Poll
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 02:39:54 PM »
Alas, you refrained from putting minor cities like Bogenhafen in your list, and there's quite a few Bogenhafen players on this site. I think that we and others like the Carroburg people will simply need to vote 'other' even though we have established painting schemes that featured in previous Empire army books. :icon_cry:
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Shadowwolf

• Members
  • Post quality makes you a veteran gamer!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 02:45:09 PM »
This is great!
Talabheim for the win!

Shadowwolf
On the right only red, to your left all is white
Ev'ryone's holding, stay in the fight!
White to the right side, left only red
Run like the others, or you'll end up dead!
Talabheim State Troop proverb
Deviantart? http://dlshadowwolf.deviantart.com/gallery/

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 03:27:03 PM »
Alas, you refrained from putting minor cities like Bogenhafen in your list, and there's quite a few Bogenhafen players on this site. I think that we and others like the Carroburg people will simply need to vote 'other' even though we have established painting schemes that featured in previous Empire army books. :icon_cry:

The point was considered BAWTRM, but then where does the list end?
Originally the poll did have more lines and the two you mentioned were amongst them, along with CoU, Marienburg, and then I started thinking of others - possibly Army of Middenland, Border Princes, Tilea etc. etc and it became a question of where to draw a line.
I wanted the Poll to reflect the threads below...... and I wanted to keep all the relevant threads on the Board's first page, and chose this Welcome forum because it only had a few threads.

The idea of this was twofold as mentioned.
1. To be an answer for those repetitive threads - "Who do you support?"
2. To grow as a 'resource' for new members.

I am pretty certain I mentioned Bogenhafen as a major city of the Reikland, and I would suggest you 'support' the Province in which your city or town is found.

The 'others' thread was mainly for 'themes' such as Sigamrite, or maybe CoU where there is no simple allegiance to a 'place'.

As the threads develop for the Provinces I will monitor things, - I have noticed already the 'Carroburg' argument is developing in the Reikland thread already -  I would suggest the 'Bogenhafen Brigade' make their presence felt in there as well .......... early.
 :biggriin:

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Solland's Heir

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 05:41:24 PM »
So where do I put Solland - incorporated into Wissenland or as an independat army :>
Skye Solland
Just because you're Karl's favourite general does not mean you can steal my sword

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 09:21:31 PM »
So where do I put Solland - incorporated into Wissenland or as an independat army :>

Personally I would go with Wissenland.

Following this and my previous post in response to Bawtrm, my suggestion would be that you vote in the poll for the province where your army is geographically based - then make a post within the thread for the same geographical province explaining the theme of your particular army.

Personally I think it will make each provincial thread far more interesting.
A newcomer may like the idea of say Reikland, and then delve into the Reikland thread and find further options and ideas.

Offline Wyzer1

• Members
  • ^My Pic - Stuff I say ->
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 10:05:25 PM »
Hells ya, Averland #1! Averland#1  :icon_mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :icon_mrgreen:

Its sooooo rewarding to beat your friend orc/chaos army with some puny humans in YELLOW TIGHTS. Just brings a tear to my eye *
Long time Wood Elf and Empire player with newly acquired High Elves

Offline Okami

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 06:24:49 AM »
Seem's we Stirlanders are doing out fine as well :D

Beatin' halflings makes a good exercise for our troops!!  :engel:

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 08:05:52 AM »
Can we not have a Solland as I know there are a frw of us setting up the fluff for re-establishment and it is just too painful to put Wissenland!
Veldemere, Elector Count of Solland (Elect)
Quote from: wissenlander
  I'm fine with Veldemere and his retinue of disgruntled's

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 11:44:44 AM »
Oh, come on Veldemere.  You know you want to vote Wissenland! :wink:
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline klostpret

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 02:25:02 PM »
That's a quiet simple vote here: Stirland!
And 'others', because I really like Sigmarite armies.
I play Warhammer Fantasy Role Play once a month, and we're currently playing a campaign setted in Stirland, and I based my Empire army on Stirland, just to have a difference with my other army, Dwarves. (No Empire-handguns for me  :icon_wink:)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 02:29:17 PM »
Can we not have a Solland as I know there are a frw of us setting up the fluff for re-establishment and it is just too painful to put Wissenland!

I appreciate the sentiments Veldemere - putting up with Wissenlander is daunting I know. :icon_wink:

However I think it would be quite good that the threads are not all 'love-fests' - a bit of dissention and internal banter should be good for the development.
You can even arrange your own civil wars.

Offline Siamtiger

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 02:43:43 PM »

I´m one of the Carroburg folks and i´ve gone for Reikland & Middenland. The one say so, the others the other way.

Offline TheAmazingAntman

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 02:18:36 AM »
Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm an Averlander with a ton of Estilia and Myrmidia themes!

Can't go wrong with a floppish, Spanishy, girl worshiping army...well at least not in my opinion anyways.

Offline Wyzer1

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 02:37:35 AM »

Can't go wrong with a floppish, Spanishy, girl worshiping army...well at least not in my opinion anyways.

Did you just refer to my averlanders as floppish and Spanishy???  :dry:  :x

Offline TheAmazingAntman

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 02:40:43 AM »

Nope, just mine!  Hey, I need something to make them stand out!

Offline Wyzer1

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 02:45:08 AM »
Are they painted well? Either way, pics are always fun to look at

Glad to see another Averlander. I love to whoop chaos warrior and orc ass while pulling yellow tights from encroaching into my ass... lol

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 05:34:21 AM »
Heeeeeey, there's more of us Talabecland players out there than I thought.
On the quest to get my painting in the red this year...follow the madness here: Blog!

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 09:02:09 AM »

I appreciate the sentiments Veldemere - putting up with Wissenlander is daunting I know. :icon_wink:

However I think it would be quite good that the threads are not all 'love-fests' - a bit of dissention and internal banter should be good for the development.
You can even arrange your own civil wars.

But I promised to be nice to him, only to the end of the Nemesis campaign though, then we secretly gather for war.... bwhahahahaha. Bugger did I say that out loud (shuffles off).
Veldemere, Elector Count of Solland (Elect)
Quote from: wissenlander
  I'm fine with Veldemere and his retinue of disgruntled's

Offline Okami

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 11:35:43 AM »

And what would the problem with spanish be? :dry:

Offline Brynjolf Irontooth

• Members
  • Bourgomeister of Bunddorf (Hochland)
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2007, 12:03:39 PM »
I voted Middenland.

Though there isn't a very straight forward reason for this. When I 6 years ago started with Empire (that should be their 6th edition release date) I chose the city/province of which I loved the colours most. This was Carroburg. Reading about the great Carroburg Greatswords only boosted this choice. So Ulric and Middenland were always very present in my fluff. When Cult of Ulric came out, I immediately switched to this list. A more Ulric-themed armylist. What can you ask more.  :engel: Though the fluff of CoU and a while after that of Middenland (SoC) ruïned my entire made-up fluff. So since then I have become a Middenland-player. Also the fact Carroburg Greatswords suddenly seemed to be Reikland Greatswords fighting at the gates of Carroburg, made the image of Carroburg falling down. Since then I haven't rewrote my fluff (as I think fluff can give playing games and painting minis a lot more interresting - especially after playing WHF for more then 8 years), but I'm planning to create my own made-up city so I can't be affected ever again by GW fluff. Or at least not in the bad way. The city will most definately lie within the borders of Middenland and there you go, you have the reason for my choice.  :biggriin:

Friendly regards
BI

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 12:24:21 PM »
That's why I made up my own town Brynjolf.  Very same reason.

I've got my eye on you Veldemere. 8-)
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Brynjolf Irontooth

• Members
  • Bourgomeister of Bunddorf (Hochland)
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 12:54:57 PM »
I´m one of the Carroburg folks and i´ve gone for Reikland & Middenland. The one say so, the others the other way.

Carroburg lies within the borders of Middenland. On every map of the Empire is has been this way. The fluff that can be found in some White Dwarfs (Cult of Ulric) and Storm of Chaos (Army of Middenland) also clearly says Carroburg is part of Middenland.

The point where you can get confused is that Reikland once sent his Greatswords to Carroburg to defend the City of Carroburg against a siege of Middenheim. At that time there were two Counts of Middenland (one in Carroburg and one in Middenheim). That day, the Reikland Greatswords performed that well and heroic that stories went through the entire Empire about their subborness. The Reikland Greatswords chose the colours red and black from that day on instead of the white colours, to represent the blood on their uniforms.

So if someone is talking about Carroburg greatswords then it is possible he is talking about the Reikland Greatswords wearing Black and Red uniforms OR the real Carroburg Greatswords of which nothing heroic is known (I even don't know what colours Carroburg really has).

This is also one of the reasons I abandoned Carroburg and created my own city.

Anyway, welcome to Middenland.  :icon_wink:

Friendly regards
BI

Offline TheAmazingAntman

• Members
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2007, 05:37:55 AM »

And what would the problem with spanish be? :dry:

Not a darn thing for me, in fact I sort of wish I started off doing a pure Estilia army.  I absolutely love the Conquistador imagery, just so dang cool.

Although I must admit about 6 years ago I got kicked out of a Spanish class for cheering on Sir Francis Drake during a filmstrip about the Spanish Armada…so maybe I’m not as pro Spain as it might seeem.

~Anthony

ps. hey Wyzer1 I'll try to get some pics up within the next week or so...my boys are painted pretty well, at least a bit above tabletop standard!

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2007, 04:31:02 PM »
Not a darn thing for me, in fact I sort of wish I started off doing a pure Estilia army.  I absolutely love the Conquistador imagery, just so dang cool.

Me too, but I will not be voting in Averland - I have held back my second vote as sometime this year I will build my
Estalian army {note the spelling :icon_wink:}
I intend to join the independent thread, and I have been collecting fluff (and maps) as well as models.