home

Author Topic: Wargames Factory making plastic Historical Models  (Read 10253 times)

Offline RGB

• Members
Re: Wargames Factory making plastic Historical Models
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2008, 08:25:50 AM »

The new Swordsmen and the head are better, I actually LOVE the new heads compared to the old models.

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

The 7th ed. Empire heads are the worst thing in 7th ed. Worse than the robohorse and the HE ASF. I'll swap you a boxfull of them for old unipose gunners.
[in the good of life]

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2008, 08:36:55 AM »

The new Swordsmen and the head are better, I actually LOVE the new heads compared to the old models.

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

The 7th ed. Empire heads are the worst thing in 7th ed. Worse than the robohorse and the HE ASF. I'll swap you a boxfull of them for old unipose gunners.

Interested. How many gunners are you looking for ? And how big a box are we talking ?

I know, I'm a vulture...  :biggriin:
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Bede

• Members
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2008, 11:03:20 AM »
Warlord Games (http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/) are just about to release a range of Early Imperial Romans and Ancient Britons.

They are helmed by GW (ex GW??) peeps

John Stallard is best known as author of the Warhammer Historical: English Civil Wars rules. Whilst this period is one of his passions he’s probably better described as someone to whom history is an opportunity to play with as many different armies as possible. John’s gaming room is any wargamers dream - unlike his Timmy Mallett shirt…

Paul Sawyer was editor of Games Workshop’s White Dwarf magazine for many years. With an unhealthy love for World War II wargaming he can often be found lovingly stroking models of Jagdpanthers…

Yep.
I know one of the sculptors doing the greens for the Romans and they are spectacular.
Really fine and detailed work.

The Fields of Glory boys have some serious competition on thier hands already.

There is some serious activity in the 28mm historical environment at the moment.

The 7th ed. Empire heads are the worst thing in 7th ed. Worse than the robohorse and the HE ASF.

I couldn't agree more, they are a disgrace to sculpting.

Offline Bede

• Members
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2008, 11:08:41 AM »
Now that the Warhammer Historical rules systems have gained a lot more popularity ...

I think you'll find that WAB and Warmaster ancients are both in decline since their heyday a few years ago.

Judging by sales 'Fields of Glory' is expected to make a big impact on the WAB community, which is possibly why Warhammer Historical are in such a rush to get the new version of WAB out asap?

Offline Davros

• Members
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2008, 01:09:41 PM »
Judging by sales 'Fields of Glory' is expected to make a big impact on the WAB community, which is possibly why Warhammer Historical are in such a rush to get the new version of WAB out asap?
[/quote]  Agreed  according to my regular oppo. the FOG rules have sold out their first print run on the web . 

I have played three games so far and i'm still having some trouble understanding the complexities of the rules . It is a challenge but is becoming frustrating . It might be because we are using 20mm ancients that the frustration comes from . 

I would prefer to get into late medival ASAP with some of the lists from 'Storm of Arrows' , but i'm still trying to get some 20mm figures together from  HAT.Zveda , etc . since it is more economical than trying to get a complete army in 28mm .

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2008, 01:42:07 PM »

I disagree, the onld state troop box had at least two of the heads being total abortions.  The freecompany heads look great though, and I actually use alot of them instead.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2008, 06:53:53 AM »
The Fields of Glory boys have some serious competition on thier hands already.

The Wargames Factory stuff is more economical, but by the look of it the mix of poses may be far more limited.

The inclusion of LBM transfers is pure genious though.

But 30 figures/box is an odd number.  32 figures (as most WAB EIR legionary units are 16 strong) sounds more appropriate.

Still, I look forward to buying them when they came out.
(Almost bought the Perry's ACW plastics despite having no interest in the American Silly War just because they were there)
Without so much as a damn your eyes for the inconvenience

Offline scarletsquig

• Members
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2008, 05:45:03 AM »
Wargames Factory celts preview is up. Seperate arms, legs, heads and torsos! :)

These have a lot more conversion potential, especially for the kislevite players. At £18 for 48, it's probably worth it just to give some extra head variety to our empire plastics.

Oh, and the WF CEO was nice enough to give me a box of plastic romans, so I'll post up a review of how they compare to fantasy figures when they arrive.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 06:13:16 AM by scarletsquig »

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2008, 08:37:45 AM »
Please do!
These celts also looks smashing as norscans or something like that!
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »
Oh, and the WF CEO was nice enough to give me a box of plastic romans, so I'll post up a review of how they compare to fantasy figures when they arrive.

I'm impressed - how did you manage that one?

I thought you are in Europe and they are in the USA - PM me with your secret so I can blag one of the Celts ...... :engel:

What we need is someone to become a UK stockist. Now where is Artemis .................
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2008, 10:29:28 AM »
Those Celts are quite nice, but I can't see using them for Norse (and certainly not Kislevites). If they were going to be anything in warhamer fantasy, it would have to be Albion tribesmen.

I'd be more interested (as in, interested at all) in these new plastic ranges if they did a more interesting period. How about late Romans/ early Byzantines instead?
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2008, 02:46:07 PM »

I thought you are in Europe and they are in the USA - PM me with your secret
Seconded, although I'd go for the Romans.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2008, 03:32:54 PM »
Some late roman/Byzantine minis would be great! Lets hope some sees the light of day!
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2008, 04:35:42 PM »
Please do!
These celts also looks smashing as norscans or something like that!

Albion...!

This cirtainly has the makings for the army of Albion.

There is a Albion Warmaster list which uses Gauls for the figures.

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2008, 04:49:58 PM »
What we need is someone to become a UK stockist. Now where is Artemis .................

North Star are down to wholesale them I believe.

My local shop is due to stock them at any rate - along with Warlord Games.

I would also like to see Late Roman's done in plastics, and especially Dark Age figures.

I think I read somewhere that Wargames Factory are planning (or planning to plan) a 100YW range with crossbowmen, archers, knights, and billmen.

Offline offroadfury88

• Members
  • Und die Vögel singen nicht mehr
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2008, 05:40:31 PM »
I hope they do Hittites, I would love to paint the curly toed shoes and awesome springing beards.
Happiness never decreases by being shared.
 -The Buddha

An act of kindness surpasses a thousand prayers
 -Sa'di

Offline scarletsquig

• Members
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2008, 06:09:53 PM »

I thought you are in Europe and they are in the USA - PM me with your secret so I can blag one of the Celts ...... :engel:

I posted a long reply to a thread he started on warseer about young people and historical wargaming, explaining my thoughts on the current historcals market. He liked it, and now I've got some free stuff on the way.

Looks like his long-term goal is to raise the profile of historical wargaming by making products that are in a familar scale and style to more mainstream stuff like fantasy.

It's also a smart business plan in terms of producing models that have proxy potential for fantasy at 1/3 of GW price. (37.5p each compared to £1.20).

I think they're selling direct worldwide as well, so being european shouldn't be a problem.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 09:58:02 PM by scarletsquig »

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2008, 09:32:32 PM »
I think I read somewhere that Wargames Factory are planning (or planning to plan) a 100YW range with crossbowmen, archers, knights, and billmen.

I suppose it's to appeal to the largest number of people, but really: the bloody hundred years war again.  :icon_evil: How about some Eastern Europe stuff instead?

If I wanted to.

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2008, 10:08:33 AM »
I suppose it's to appeal to the largest number of people, but really: the bloody hundred years war again.  :icon_evil: How about some Eastern Europe stuff instead?

Like Hussites?

Kingmaker have just released a new line in Hussites, but at £1.25 a pop for the quality I was less than impressed.

Nice paint job though

The war waggons look nice, but let down by the cuddies.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2008, 01:02:47 PM »
I quite like the Hussites (not that there's much competition in that field), but you are right about the cost. The wagons seem very expensive to me.

I need some for my Hungarian Black Army at some point.  :icon_confused:
If I wanted to.

Offline RGB

• Members
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2008, 08:30:40 PM »
Those Celts are quite nice, but I can't see using them for Norse (and certainly not Kislevites). If they were going to be anything in warhamer fantasy, it would have to be Albion tribesmen.

I'd be more interested (as in, interested at all) in these new plastic ranges if they did a more interesting period. How about late Romans/ early Byzantines instead?

I'd dig that. Or you know, Plastic Eastern Chivalry. Me and Midaski would love it. Byzantines, Rus, Steppe Peoples, they'd all fit.

As for the Celts: they'd need shirts on, wouldn't they?
[in the good of life]