home

Author Topic: Funky Little Plastic Romans  (Read 8758 times)

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
Re: Funky Little Plastic Romans
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2008, 10:48:09 PM »
That one's a myth, much like Napoleon's height. Observe. There's a section specifically labelled 'their size', and yes, that was written by a Roman, in the early 5th century AD I believe. Note that the Roman foot is not exactly the same as a modern foot, but it's pretty darn close.

Romans of the 5th century were about as Roman as the average Hungarian was.  The smaller stature of the Romans comes from much earlier primary source documents, which indicate around 5' 4" or so on average which is not that much smaller than the average of today.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline katzbalger

• Members
  • Woof. That is all.
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 12:32:07 PM »
Holland: The only one of those questions I can help you with is the second one - the Warlord Games Romans are 28mm tall from the soles of their feet to the tops of their helmets; stand 'em next to a Warhammer figure and they do look small (although as PhillyT has pointed out the average Imperial Roman soldier - certainly if he was from the Mediterranean - was a short chap, so that might not bother you too much).
I feel my signature should say something witty and urbane, to indicate that I'm a stylish and elegant man. But I'm not. So it doesn't.
Instead it just says 'willies.'
Willies.
See? Told you.

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 09:00:58 PM »

Mine is on my worktable and I haven't glued it up yet.

SLACKER....!!!

Took all of 15 minutes to paint last night
(which means thay are fast enough to paint to warrent me buying a few boxes - hussar)

I thought I saw you at Salute? Were you in a gaudy shirt and missing No.1 son?

Without so much as a damn your eyes for the inconvenience

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 09:05:15 PM »
What on earth possessed Stallard to leave GW?  Last I heard he was CEO of GW USA.
I get the fealing iot wasn't his idea  :-(

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 09:20:01 PM »

Mine is on my worktable and I haven't glued it up yet.

SLACKER....!!!

Took all of 15 minutes to paint last night
(which means thay are fast enough to paint to warrent me buying a few boxes - hussar)

Well I have absolutely nothing it would fit with - unless I finally build those Alcatanis - a lone Roman in my Kislevites or Middenlanders would look odd ..................

I thought I saw you at Salute? Were you in a gaudy shirt and missing No.1 son?

No 1 son is down at Southampton Uni, and went back the weekend before - I was there with my mate Andy, but as I recall the shirt was a light bluey-grey, and I had that multi-pocket waistcoat puffa on, which somehow got ripped  :icon_evil: - or at least I noticed it was when I got home.

Actually I didn't meet anyone this year - Nick Huge was supposed to be on the Warlords painting table I was told, by the Bolt guys who got him in free for the last few years  :icon_wink: but despite watching the table off and on for most of the afternoon I never saw him - probably still too embarrassed about the World Cup  :icon_wink: .........

..... and of course I never saw the Scotland shirt ..............
 :engel:

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2008, 09:22:04 PM »
However, have anyone read their announcement about that rulesystem they seem to be making called "Blackpowder"? Anyone who may know one of them blokes involved that knows more about it, for it would be nice for me and my son to start making some Napoleon armies and start to volleyfire each other.

I had a chat with Rick about the rules.

They were originally going to be Warmaster Blackpowder released under Warhammer Historical (as my local shop manager told me according to the guy from North Star Games who wholesales their books), and as such they have a lot of the character of Warmaster.

Units are based in stands, but not limited to three.  You can move up to three times as per Warmaster Historical BUT rather than decide facings etc when you fail a roll, you give your order and the unit moves as far the roll allows but you still have to follow the given order even if your roll leaves you stranded in the open.

Example: With a Ld of 8, you roll two D6.  9 and over you can not move, on 8 you move once, 7 twice your distance, 6 and below 3 times your distance.  

So if you want to move in to a building that is twice your move distance away and you roll an 8 you have to move towards it but you are stuck half way to it.

Stands have stats as per Warmaster (ranged and close combat figures)

He said that it was aimed at gamers who want to play a game for fun to see what an outcome might be.
It is not designed for competition.

I harangued Michael Perry over plastic Marlburians (the difference in uniforms for most of the countries involved was very minor) and he didn't say no.

I also said he would go on my Christmas card list if he did, and I think that swung it for sure  :laugh:

Napoleonic you say?

But you wouldn't force your son to take the mantle of hapless minions of the despotic Corsican dictator would you?

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2008, 09:26:30 PM »
..... and of course I never saw the Scotland shirt ..............
 :engel:

I picked it up to put it on and looked at it.

Working during the weak with the horses it had got a tad grimy.

So I decided to break the Wargamers steryotype and put something clean on.
(I was cought by a fat bloke from my old games club at Salute who almost made me hurl when I gave him a lift home once he stank that bad  :eusa_sick:)

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2008, 08:14:17 AM »
Force my son? You blind insular britons! My son is a fan of Napoleon and basically knows his history and his time backwards and forwards. He just got home from Paris after a birthday present visit with my wife and he was overjoyed and awed after having seen Napoleons real coat and hat and such.
Napoleon was a dictator, yes, but he was also a reformer of note, trying to bring order and true law to a country like France (im mean, seriously, it must have been his toughtest challenge... order in France...). You are blinded by british propaganda myfriend. You are bying the englishmens slander!  :icon_razz:

He even tried to aid the irish, but the Royal navy was to strong for it to succeed in the end.

So there is no forcing here.

Me, I feel an urge to paint a load of redcoats though, always been a Wellington dude (well, strictly speaking, I am a fan of Nelson, for he was the true visionary in the british military establishment) so sign me up for a Peninsula campaign!
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2008, 10:46:58 AM »
You are blinded by british propaganda myfriend. You are bying the englishmens slander!  :icon_razz:

No Sir, I have not.  My view is taken directly from fighting the crapauds these last 10 years.

Here I am with my trusty stead TJ

Emsdorf and Victory,
Andy
www.xvld.org

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2008, 03:46:42 PM »
You reenactment guys don't mess around do you?

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2008, 09:45:19 AM »
And the Celts are coming this month....
http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/?p=239

Offline katzbalger

• Members
  • Woof. That is all.
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2008, 04:00:09 PM »
And, boy, do they look good!
Nice to see they're somewhat taller than the Romans.
I'd never considered the idea of doing a Celtic army, but maybe I'll just do a little old 1,000pts or so...
Can't wait to see the chariots.
I feel my signature should say something witty and urbane, to indicate that I'm a stylish and elegant man. But I'm not. So it doesn't.
Willies.
See? Told you.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2008, 04:20:44 PM »
Well we'll see - having looked at the sprues I think they are worth a punt so I have ordered a box of the Warriors ................

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline katzbalger

• Members
  • Woof. That is all.
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2008, 04:27:32 PM »
I've managed to resist up to now. I've got a box of Romans and I've got half way through entering my details and getting some archers and slingers before the rational 'you-really-have-got-enough-toy-soldiers-for-the-time-being' voice (or girlfriend as she is usually known...) kicks in and I see sense.
One day, though, one day...
Willies.
See? Told you.

Offline Donnachaidh

• Members
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2008, 10:36:11 AM »
And Wargames Factory are slowly catching up.

They have looked at what Warlord Games are doing and have put back their Romans so they can use LBM shield transfers as well.

http://wargamesfactory.com/AnnouncementRetrieve.aspx?ID=14338

And they have the Gallic cavalry out soon also - not sure about the cuddies, but they are no worse than GW's attempts....