home

Author Topic: The Ex-Province of SOLLAND  (Read 212254 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: The Province of Solland of Olde
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2009, 09:02:12 PM »
Nicely done with the fluff  :eusa_clap:, I would have to agree about family trees' being blurd from the past 800 years. I found some fluff about the last count of Solland's cousin, Johann Weyrother. He commanded a regiment of Sollanders known as the "Iron Guard", they wear white uniforms and wear heavy armour, shields and they carry spears. Well his decendants are split into branch families that are still around within the bounds of Wissenland, Hochland and Sylvania.
I even found the full name for Sollands last Elector Count,
                          Margraf  Eldred von-Solland
 :::cheers:::

(And I completely agree with you Wussenlander about fluff arguments, no point realy getting worked up over something silly like that. :icon_wink:)
Where does this fluff originate from?

And by the way, is there an WFB calendar year that you are currently using for the revolutionary activitees?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Captain Gerntass

• Members
  • For the Emperor, the Empire & Sigmar
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2009, 09:14:16 PM »
At first I was thinking of before the invasion of 1707 but as everyone else seems to be interested in the modern time while Karl Franze rules then I may as well go with the flow seeing as some continue to call us "Rebals".

As for the fluff that I have found, go on google, type in Solland and try searching down the list for the
"Castle Weyrother, The Home of Marquis Lothar Wenzel von Weyrother" site.
Long live the Crown of Solland

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2009, 10:54:33 PM »

(And I completely agree with you Wussenlander about fluff arguments, no point realy getting worked up over something silly like that. :icon_wink:)

Arguing isn't my style, but I can gnaw your ear off in discussions anytime. Just ask Karl! :::cheers:::

Wiss and I have literally hundreds of PMs discussing fluff and characters. I had read his Account of Graf Olenbay and it inspired me to join the website. I plopped down in Loningbruck and the rest is history.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2009, 01:13:56 AM »
I see two.  If the picture had been smaller, then maybe I would have been fooled.  Maybe. :icon_wink:

@Capt. Gerntass ... thanks, I'll check it out. :icon_cool:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Captain Gerntass

• Members
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2009, 01:43:10 AM »
I see two.  If the picture had been smaller, then maybe I would have been fooled.  Maybe. :icon_wink:

@Capt. Gerntass ... thanks, I'll check it out. :icon_cool:
No problem GP, for months I was on a quest to find out more about Eldred but I had to give up becouse I thourht it was going to be like finding the Holy Grail, but now i've found it, what now? :unsure:

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2009, 12:48:17 PM »
That guy's got some detailed stuff.  The family tree, though the simplest to look at, is what impressed me the most.  You can run with his idea, if you like. 
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Captain Gerntass

• Members
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2009, 01:46:16 PM »
The idea came to me to use one of the still living family members to add to my army to lead a unit of Iron Gard pikemen. But for the army I want to use I don't know which army list to use, I could use a standard list but I want a bit more "character" for my theme. I remembered the CiM army lists so I had a scan through them last night but I can't decide which one to use, obviously the Sigmarite could be used as Wissenland is apart of that list but then again the Merianberg list has the right feel to it as seeing so I am classed as a rebal by some(Wissenlander :wink:) so my main backing would be merchants (and Avaland).
So I am a bit unsure at the moment, any advice would be great.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2009, 05:17:56 PM »
Quite a bit of detail on that site with the family tree, timeline, and character descriptions.  It could be interesting to read those stories, keeping in mind that these are the site owner's creations, and as are likely the Weyrothers, too.  Perhaps it shows that by Solland being put in place by GW for the story of it's destruction, it has also given folks something to wrap their fluff ideas around that has the potential of not being interfered with too much as GW moves forward with everything else.

Regarding Eldred's last name being von Solland, I might want to see something more than this before accepting this as having come from GW fluff.

Overall it has given me some new things to ponder about my own stuff that I'm developing. :icon_cool:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 05:26:42 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2009, 05:22:42 PM »
Does that guy have any contact info?  I actually wanted to message him but couldn't find anything.

As far as your army goes, Capt., you have the option of going either way.  Anyone you levy from the local area will be 'Wissenland themed' but if you've got the money then the Marienburg thing could be an option.  What you could do, though, is use anyone from Solland as a Wissenlander and any mercenaries could use rules from one of the wealthier provinces in the Sigmarite list.

not together.

Offline Captain Gerntass

• Members
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2009, 06:12:15 PM »
Looking ever deeper into the Sigmarite list I can see plenty of conversion possabilities but for the fluff I can also see plenty of political intigue, especialy with the part concerning you dear countess wissenlander. With what I hear about wanting rid of Wissenland I could have models that could be from Nuln so with the arise of Solland we could see the death of Wissenland :wink:

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2009, 06:15:37 PM »
Mercs from Nuln I can see.  But I don't think the Countess is dumb enough to shoot herself in the foot by attacking her own province, no matter how much she hates it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 06:19:25 PM by wissenlander »

not together.

Offline Captain Gerntass

• Members
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2009, 06:40:54 PM »
Not openly but behind the sceans anything could be possable :engel:( :icon_twisted:)

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2009, 06:58:19 PM »
lolwut

I can't see an elector invading her own province. Actually i can't see your fat swine of an elector doing anything  :-P
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2009, 08:25:21 PM »
Looking ever deeper into the Sigmarite list I can see plenty of conversion possabilities but for the fluff I can also see plenty of political intigue, especialy with the part concerning you dear countess wissenlander. With what I hear about wanting rid of Wissenland I could have models that could be from Nuln so with the arise of Solland we could see the death of Wissenland :wink:
I could see mercenaries being hired from the Nuln area, yet I find it hard to imagine that the Countess would be interested in seeing nobles claiming Solland heritage.  The Countess might even rely on her contacts in Nuln to enlist the city's military aide in putting down a rebellion.  Frankly, a revolution could be a very difficult thing to pull off.

If KV's view is accurate, well then this could make things a bit easier. :icon_wink:

Offline Captain Gerntass

• Members
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2009, 08:40:12 PM »
Mercenaries would be appropriate but to make the fluff more interesting possible deals could be struck behind the scenes, just look at the Merianberg scandal of 2429, even Nuln got it's independance when gold exchanged hands from Nuln to the ruling emperor at the time. Ofcourse the dear OLD countess wouldn't be seen calluding with rebals, on the surface it would be some easily dispencable minor noble or exiled engineer or captain, but below the surface as I said before, anything can happen, especialy if the countess wants extra power, hell she's probably trying to good ol' Karl Franze alone in a dark room without being "disturbed" :wink:

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
So, to get power, she'd give it up?

not together.

Offline Captain Gerntass

• Members
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2009, 08:53:09 PM »
So, to get power, she'd give it up?
It would look like it but as I have seen somewhere on this site (I think you were part of the thread) it is believed she wants to get rid of her shackles (borering old wissenland) but she wants to keep the votes she already has and rule Nuln instead, but the possible way I see it, we Sollanders' gain our lands back from Wissenland plus possibly even Wissenland itself, gain Solland's vote back off Wissenland and then the countess would gain any backing she needs from atleast one province to back hers (Nulns). Intrigues at court, you've got to love it :::cheers:::

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2009, 09:04:27 PM »
Ok, I'll bite.

While it is true that she wants to rid herself of the shackles of Wissenland, this would be much easier in the current climate by doing so peacefully.  Abdicating to one of the established families within Wissenland itself.  Toppenheimers being the leading candidates, maybe the Pfeifrauchers. 

She'd keep her status, but why and how would Wissenland keep the vote?  That could and probably would throw off the current system.  If Solland was a new entity, that would mean potentially 2 more votes that would be brought into the Sigmarite block.  I'm sure Boris Todbringer and Valmir von Raukov would be pleased with that scenario (and if Helmut Feurbach is ever found alive)...

The vote lies with Wissenland, not with Nuln (This was different in editions past, but that has changed to a more simplistic standard where every province has a vote).  None of the other city-states currently have a vote.  Wissenland is tied with that, and without completely reformating the current electoral system, it wouldn't work.  Each city-state would then demand a vote.  If the Countess tried to keep the vote with Nuln, but then Wissenland, Solland or a combination of the two were then left behind, both would clamor for a vote, so it's not really conceivable to not let one of the new provinces not to have one.

So, why doesn't Emanuelle just give up her title of Elector since she doesn't want Wissenland anymore?  Well, that doesn't work.  Without the title, her shine isn't as bright, and she's no longer one of the dozen most powerful people in the Empire.  She losses the tax from Wissenland, which she may be willing to forgo, but the title is really where it's at. 

Karl Franz would be under too much pressure from multiple sides to allow such an even to occur, and the Countess would be committing political suicide by trying to pull off such a maneuver without support from some of the other electors (Helmut Feurbach may have been one, but again, is missing). 

The current time frame is post SOC, and the north is already upset at Karl Franz for what they perceive as his inability to assist in a timely manner with repelling the Chaos invasion. It's a volatile situation as it is with famine, thievery and lesser nobles in that area making claims and power plays.  All it would take for them to completely break off and start their own major insurection against Karl Franz would be to allow the Sigmarite block to gain more strength.  As it is it's powerful enough, but adding more votes would ensure an Ulrician (or northern in general) Elector would never make Emperor.  Sort of like a reverse situation for the American Civil War.

Such high stakes politics would need more than a little money, rebels, an old lost cause and an estranged captain to work.

Edit:  I was able to add a little bit as I had more time.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 10:17:29 PM by wissenlander »

not together.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2009, 09:20:46 PM »
Wissenlander seems to have done his homework, and one thing worth doing is to contemplate how Karl Franz will feel about all of this.  He seems to be big on keeping the Empire happy and unified.

Besides, there are Wissenlanders across Olde Solland that won't be thrilled with a rebellion, and the other the Wissenlanders themselves won't likely be thrilled with a Sollander taking over their lands either.  Both of these groups could see it as being wise to help each other put a rebellion down.  And if the situation gets serious, I can see them complaining to Karl Franz if the Countess doesn't take action, no matter where she is currently residing.

Yes, my character Graf Heinrich von Furstenberg might be trying to profit from a bit of support to a Sollander in some thing minor that starts out under the radar so to speak, but believe me, if the revolution isn't handled with careful calculation, he isn't going to be stupid enough to aggrevate Karl Franz, when he wants to keep his own land, too.  Besides, von Furstenberg's mercenaries haven't marched away from home yet (GP needs to still contact that Wissenland player that he knows to see if something can happen on that front).

Capt Gerntass, such a situation as your's certainly requires you to plan big, but acting in small ways at first, and you'll get closer to your end result.  In the meantime, be prepared for a long, and perhaps never ending quest. :icon_wink:

Offline Captain Gerntass

• Members
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2009, 10:14:20 PM »
Yes, I agree with both of you on the high stakes deal, just abit of wistfull thinking is all :dry:.
But you seem to forget that our dear old countess has most of the other elector counts as "special" admirers.
Big plans for the future, but as you say GamePoet "small steps" are what I am trying to acheive, this little rebellion I am invovled in will take time but I do see hope yet for my grandchildrens children. So nothing "Big" yet fore we do not have the strength yet to oppose the emperors own army joined with that of most of Wissenland, so for now small scale border skirmisher' and I suppose those that those that do not agree with the caurse have much to attend with, what with politics, greenskins, chaos and a sudden increase in banditry :engel:

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2009, 10:19:10 PM »
Though I think it a lost cause, you've probably had the best idea I've seen yet to gain independence for Solland.  So for that I offer you a toast. :::cheers:::  You made me use my noggin' that's for sure. :wink:

not together.

Offline Captain Gerntass

• Members
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2009, 10:32:57 PM »
Though I think it a lost cause, you've probably had the best idea I've seen yet to gain independence for Solland.  So for that I offer you a toast. :::cheers:::  You made me use my noggin' that's for sure. :wink:

Why thank you wissenlander :happy:
When I first ever started playing I did want a Solland force but soon gave out to it thinking it was a lost cause, but finding and scanning this site soon brought the memeries back and I have come much farther now then back then, you and the rest, especialy you, GamesPoet and the rest of loyalists have actually kept me going and my brain spinning but we are all loyal to the Empire and I would gladly set aside our oppinions to fight side by side with the rest of you to defend our homeland from the many enamies that beset the Empire, whether they be rampaging orc waaaghs or invasions from the northern wastses. So I take my hat off to you all and if ever our paths cross I'll gladly get the first round in at the local  :::cheers:::

But Solland ain't a lost cause, not when there is still hope in the hearts of her loyal people :happy:

Offline Captain Gerntass

• Members
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2009, 10:43:05 PM »
Anyway I have decided to go with the Sigmarite list from the CiM campaign site but as suggested I am replacing wissenland with solland in the nationalities sections.

My army will be made up in sections for each faction, Solland, Averland, Stirland, Nuln and Brettonia will each get there own army list so I mix and match and even combine all 5 for big games. I'm still thinking of possible conversions but I will definatly have greatswords with heavy armour and shields and pikemen for my Solland list, I'll be keeping all black powder weapons within the Nuln contingent and I'll even be able to build up my stirland army so I can use it with the standard army book and adding new units like the fast cavalry for when I use the CiM list.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
Re: The Province of SOLLAND
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2009, 11:03:35 PM »
Averland was part of the Marienburg Alliance.  However, Reikland and Altdorf also fought with Wissenland, Nuln and Stirland.

By the way ... the Marienburg had a Sollander amoungst our ranks ... de Crux's army. :icon_wink:

Offline Captain Gerntass

• Members
Re: The Province of SOLLAND
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2009, 11:18:20 PM »
My army is based in the present time of the Empire so I am still trying to work out the fluff, for my Averland "mercenaries" :wink: I was thinking of doing the same as the Solland list, just say that the Riekland nationality is Averland and the Altdorf nationality is Averheim, something along those lines anyway.

How did my fellow Sollander do anyway?