home

Author Topic: Napoleonic Stuff  (Read 2721 times)

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
Napoleonic Stuff
« on: January 05, 2009, 11:53:46 PM »
Well I know alot of you play other games so I was curious as to wheter someone could give me a small bit of insight. I ordered some Perry Miniatures stuff today (Napolenoic plastic troops and some command models.) and I have no intention of painting the French troops as French. I'm not a big historical accuracy person and I'm painting them out of a love of the look and the models. So I'm curious as to the other powers colours. I know the obvious ones, i'm looking for the more obscure and interesting themes. Are there any really interesting themes? One day i'll probably buy the British so they are out, and the blue isn't exactly exciting. All the websites i've googled have just told of the major 5 or 6 really. Otherwise i'm going to have to get inventive and just paint them how the hell I like. I'm pretty sure there won't be any yellow actual armies out there.  :happy:

Mogsam.
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
Re: Napoleonic Stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 01:21:05 AM »
Do you mean uniform colors?
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 01:26:09 AM »
What about the Prussians?  they wore black with some yellow (and red for commanders i think)  My Napoleonic history is nil, wasnt covered much at all in the States, both college and high school.  Also I believe the Russians were green and yellow.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 10:15:59 AM »
Do you mean uniform colors?

Yes.

Mogsam.

Offline Badwolf

• Members
  • 10mm KoW
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 12:37:29 PM »
Why wouldn't you want to use their proper colours? :icon_eek:. The fantasy equivalent would be painting an Orc & Gobbo army with red or purple skin.

I'm pretty sure there won't be any yellow actual armies out there.  :happy:

You may be surprised. Many armies, and the Spanish army in particular, used a wide range of different colours for their uniforms.

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 01:07:34 PM »
If i'm going to paint 50 of them (£23 for 50 = win) then i'd like to paint them in a colour that is interesting. The only reason I bought French is because they are the only ones out. The British aren't out yet and have been on the workbench as in progress for about 4 months or something now. I have no problem with making them out to be a tiny state, there are plenty of Napoelonic age armies who fought in the same way.

Mogsam.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
Still, since it is a historical game it is a shame not to paint proper colours. Why not get into 16th-17th century? Then uniform colours still varied and one formation of the Swedish army under Gustav II Adolf in 1630:ies was named "The yellow brigade" for a good reason! :smile2:

Nowever, french is not just blue! The Imperial guard where usually blue coat, white west and trousers but the coat had red reverses I think on some occasions. Hey, you should be able to search the internet for Napoleonic unifrom patterns!

But please, paint your units in historical colour and save me from crying, will you? :icon_cry:
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 04:29:32 PM »
They will be painted in historical colour, the only part that might differ is the colour of the jackets.

Mogsam.