home

Author Topic: Napoleonics/American War of Independence  (Read 3740 times)

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
Napoleonics/American War of Independence
« on: April 13, 2009, 07:54:03 PM »
Now, I'm heavily into the wars mentioned in the title of this thread. I'm going to copy a post I made on my local clubs forums (as they can be a bit dead. And by a bit I mean totally), asking for help  :mrgreen:

I was wondering if anyone here played or knew of any decent rulesets for either of these wars, designed for either 28mm or 10/6mm (not sure if it's 10mm or 6mm) sized miniatures.

I'd also be grateful to know of any places where I can purchase models for said wars/scales.

Lastly, does anyone play these?

Edit: also, can anyone hazard a guess as to the models used here?

http://ilovewargameing.21.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=1012

I will admit the main thing I want to know is the models used there. I want to know all involved, but I felt the wider knowledge of this much larger forum with people from around the world, people might recognise those models. Hopefully.  :icon_redface:
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: Napoleonics/American War of Independence
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 08:17:31 PM »

I know nothing about Napoleonics.

I've unfortunately played far less AWI than I'd like to for quite some time. I've played Washington's Wars (which I liked quite a bit), Warfare in the Age of Reason (not enough games to have a solid opinion -- plus it was so long ago that I don't remember much about it), and a variant of The Sword and the Flame.

For figures, you can look into Perry Brothers, Wargames Foundry and Front Rank for 25/28mm among others. For 15mm there's Old Glory 15's and I'm certain many others in addition.

Offline Badwolf

• Members
  • 10mm KoW
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
Those look like Essex 15mm to me. See what you think ... http://www.essexminiatures.co.uk/frames15awi.html

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 08:26:52 PM »
Thank you Badwolf, they are indeed  :eusa_clap:

Zero, so long as I can play Redcoats, I'm pretty much satisfied.  :icon_mrgreen:

Hell, thinking of buying Legends on the High Seas (Warhammer Historical), some redcoats and pirates (and fantasy orc pirates/dwarf pirates, the models are awesome), and some ships, and starting a campaign at my club.

I'd be the redcoats of course.  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 02:01:52 AM »
Mr.D

There are a few systems you want to look at.

#1 is Shako which is a great system and Shako2 recently came out. It's a division based game where you need to issue orders to your division commanders and they will act out your orders until told not to (you have two runners attached to your static General who must move at 18" a turn to the division general to change order and then back again to the Corps general to get new ones).

#2 is Field of Glory which is another great system but I don't know much about it.

#3 is General de Brigade (I think).

You should be able to do a quick search.

Also I have a system thats being used by my LGS in Sydney if you want me to send it to you. It's an easier version of Shako.

As for models I find 15mm work best from Old Glory.

The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 02:07:37 AM »
I'm not sure if all those models are Essex. I have about 3600 15mm napoleonic miniatures (that I inherited) and I can see some of them in the images you posted however the few packets of models I received as well (inherited them from a mate) were yellow and I don't remember seeing Essex written anywhere on them.

Eitherway they're great figs.

O just looking at the Essex page they don't match with the models in the images Mr.D

The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 02:37:22 AM »
Not Green Jackets MrD? (Was just reading Sharpe... again...)
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 02:42:06 AM »
Thank you Badwolf, they are indeed  :eusa_clap:

Zero, so long as I can play Redcoats, I'm pretty much satisfied.  :icon_mrgreen:

Hell, thinking of buying Legends on the High Seas (Warhammer Historical), some redcoats and pirates (and fantasy orc pirates/dwarf pirates, the models are awesome), and some ships, and starting a campaign at my club.

There is a small gourp of players that haven't given this a try at the local club.  The nice part about it is it seems to be more for a skirmish sized game.  I'm contemplating making some troops for non-governmentals because I can use some of the warhammer fantasy figure to make some appropriate looking miniatures to play this set of rules with at some point.  Although the governmental army options look very tempting to play as well. :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 11:58:35 AM »
O just looking at the Essex page they don't match with the models in the images Mr.D

Some of them do match up exactly. I'm not totally blind.  :icon_mrgreen: I would concede that not all are from Essex though, as I can't see all of them in enough detail.

#3 is General de Brigade (I think).

I've looked this one up, but I still don't know what scale it is.

Also I have a system thats being used by my LGS in Sydney if you want me to send it to you. It's an easier version of Shako.

As for models I find 15mm work best from Old Glory.

Sure! Also, I wish Old Glory had photos of their models. So frustrating ordering something you haven't even seen.

Not Green Jackets MrD? (Was just reading Sharpe... again...)

Being part Irish I found Harpers characterisation offensive.     :engel:
The Perry Plastic Napoleonics I'm considering have 36 redcoats, and 4 riflemen per box.

There is a small gourp of players that haven't given this a try at the local club.  The nice part about it is it seems to be more for a skirmish sized game.  I'm contemplating making some troops for non-governmentals because I can use some of the warhammer fantasy figure to make some appropriate looking miniatures to play this set of rules with at some point.  Although the governmental army options look very tempting to play as well. :icon_cool:

I would be incredibly grateful if you could tell me something close to the average size/composition of a pirate and a redcoat force in this system.  :biggriin:

http://www.blackscorpionminiatures.com/range.asp?the_range=PIR This is where I intend to get models for it.

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 02:26:03 PM »

Do it! You know you want to!
 :smile2:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 02:28:54 PM by Von Kurst »
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 02:46:40 PM »

I would be incredibly grateful if you could tell me something close to the average size/composition of a pirate and a redcoat force in this system.  :biggriin:

http://www.blackscorpionminiatures.com/range.asp?the_range=PIR This is where I intend to get models for it.
Oooh! That line of minitures looks very good indeed! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool:

I won't be back in the store till next weekend, but I'll ask around and see what those handful of guys are using for numbers.  I believe one guy has created 3 or 4 dozen.

By the way, if I recall the three possible sides available in the rules are navy, pivateers, and pirates.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 03:41:07 PM »
Well, I'll be ordering Legends of the High Seas this thursday. Ship to ship combat seems interesting  :icon_mrgreen: Need to find some decent ships to buy though (10 gun brigantines for £50 is steep  :icon_biggrin: )

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 05:38:59 PM »
They release the damn Perry Miniatures like 2 months after I give up on waiting and get the french, those british look way cooler.

Mogsam
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 05:40:49 PM »
They release the damn Perry Miniatures like 2 months after I give up on waiting and get the french, those british look way cooler.

Mogsam

I'm getting the British.  :icon_evil:

You got the French.  :icon_evil:

Were there rules with the French, and were they any good?

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 05:45:03 PM »

Mogsam

I'm getting the British.  :icon_evil:

You got the French.  :icon_evil:

Were there rules with the French, and were they any good?

pm me your email and i'll send you my rules.

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 06:09:19 PM »
No rules with Perry Miniatures.

Mogsam
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 06:10:25 PM »
Mhm, someone on Warseer claimed they had rules in the boxes, and that they were apparently good. Bugger.

I want a good game of redcoats now.

bies! Send!

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 06:12:41 PM »
I will but I just re-read and realized a lot of it works because I know what I was thinking. Lemme work on it tomorrow and make it a little self-sufficient and then I'll send.

BTW do you want the d6 or d10 version?

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 06:24:48 PM »
Either is fine. D10 would be novel.

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 06:37:54 PM »
OK...

Just sent you the set it's actually d6 and d10.

I imagine you'll need to ask me a few questions so just email me and I'll get back to you. I copied in some sample lists to give you an idea on how to write them.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 06:39:39 PM »
Ok, thanks ma'am.  :icon_mrgreen: