home

Author Topic: My views on Empire rare  (Read 5260 times)

Offline shavixmir

• Members
  • Tum podem extulit horridulum
My views on Empire rare
« on: May 20, 2009, 01:44:07 PM »
Following on from my posts on core and special.

No rares.
Not as such.

Basically, I'd have an array of "rare units" which can be chosen, depending on the hero/lord choice of an empire army.

For example:
If you have an engineer in the army, you can choose up to two of the following:
- Rocket battery
- Hell fire volley gun
- Steam tank

If you have a warrior priest of Sigmar in the army, you can choose up to two of the following:
- Flaggallants
- War alter (one only)

If you have a Kislev captain of the North in the army, you can choose up to two of the following:
- Kislev cossaks
- Whatever

Etc.

Meaning, if you have a warrior priest and an engineer in the army, you could have two units of flaggies and 2 hell fire volley guns.

Power / cost would have to be adapted for balance purposes.
I find, however, considering the size of the empire and the diversity (and allowing for individual choices, etc.) that this system would benefit the tweaking and individualisation of the armies.

Don't forget though, I don't think empire "men" should be strong, exceptionally brave, or anything. The choice and detachment rule are what balances the game.
Everything of value is vulnerable

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: My views on Empire rare
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 03:13:37 PM »
I agree on your overall strategy, and really do believe that Core Special and Rare needs a bit of a tweak as a concept, and have discussed it over on the hammer and anvil earlier this year.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 04:08:24 PM »
I like your idea,  but I think grutch's take is better on it. That is, if you expand this to include more units. Otherwise you'd be too restricted, as you only have 2 rares in regular sized games. We'd lose our versatility.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
  • You will join me or die! Could you do any less?
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 08:11:57 PM »
It is a good idea in theory, but take a look at the Ogre army book... you have to be careful not to make too many restrictions or units become difficult to use.

But I think your suggestion is in the right direction.
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Offline shavixmir

• Members
  • Tum podem extulit horridulum
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 04:12:58 AM »
I like your idea,  but I think grutch's take is better on it. That is, if you expand this to include more units. Otherwise you'd be too restricted, as you only have 2 rares in regular sized games. We'd lose our versatility.

The idea would be cumulitive.
So, if you have say 2 Kislev heroes, you can have up to 4 Kislev units.
If you have 4 engineers (why anyone would be so daft is beyond me), you can have up to 8 hell blaster volley guns.
Everything of value is vulnerable

Offline Lord 0

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 10:40:46 PM »
What would a wizard lord get as rare?

Offline Freman Bloodglaive

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 07:09:53 AM »
A Truthsayer or Dark Emissary.
"Reason is a thing of God, inasmuch as there is nothing which God the Maker of all has not provided, disposed, ordained by reason - nothing which He has not willed should be handled and understood by reason" Quintus Tertullian