home

Author Topic: Statetroops Suggestions  (Read 13632 times)

Offline Union General

• Members
  • Kicking butt since 1863.
Re: Statetroops Suggestions
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 01:21:21 AM »

Plus Empire forces use detachments, I really don't see what the problem is with our State troops.. other then the models are quite horrid. :dry:

-The Red Warden  :ph34r:

Fancy detachment rules don't matter when an uber-killy Death Star unit turns all of your state troops into sandwich meat.

Someone here said something about handgunners firing in two ranks. Excellent idea. It's perfectly feasible that Imperial generals can order the first rank to fire, then retreat to reload while the other rank fires to cover them, and so on. Or they just fire over each others shoulders. Perhaps an ability to fix bayonets, making the unit count as being armed with spears for that combat.

-The General
I like your thinking  Mr. General  what a Genius

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2010, 08:09:12 AM »
Your army's theme would then become a reality then aye UG?

:happy:
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline Union General

• Members
  • Kicking butt since 1863.
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2010, 09:15:39 PM »
Indeed.  :biggriin:

-The General
I like your thinking  Mr. General  what a Genius

Offline Empireguard

• Members
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2010, 11:25:17 PM »
I would really like something that showed the discipline and training of the Empire State Troops.

You mean like some sort of detachment rule? :p
Please help create a comprehensive data base of every Wargaming model ever made by clicking here.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 02:49:41 AM »
I would really like something that showed the discipline and training of the Empire State Troops.

You mean like some sort of detachment rule? :p

Kind of.   The detachment rule shows the discipline I suppose but what about the training.   Surely somebody that trains daily would be more skilled than a random bandit that never trains

Offline Freman Bloodglaive

• Members
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2010, 10:16:24 AM »
Random bandits get training too.

When you kill your first man it's a big deal. After 25 it's not a big deal. After 50 it means as much as tying your shoelaces.

They spend their time killing people for their purse. It means that when it comes to cut and thrust they're not going to hold back whereas a newly trained soldier may never have had to sink his weapon into the warm living body of another living person (even though they might not be a human person). Would said newbie readily stab that Elf female archer? The bandit wouldn't think twice.
"Reason is a thing of God, inasmuch as there is nothing which God the Maker of all has not provided, disposed, ordained by reason - nothing which He has not willed should be handled and understood by reason" Quintus Tertullian

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2010, 12:48:53 PM »
The newbie would follow along with his unit.

The bandit however, would not get that close as they lack the discipline and training that the soldier does.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2010, 06:50:31 PM »
Random bandits get training too.

When you kill your first man it's a big deal. After 25 it's not a big deal. After 50 it means as much as tying your shoelaces.

They spend their time killing people for their purse. It means that when it comes to cut and thrust they're not going to hold back whereas a newly trained soldier may never have had to sink his weapon into the warm living body of another living person (even though they might not be a human person). Would said newbie readily stab that Elf female archer? The bandit wouldn't think twice.

I understand this, but the newly trained soldier will do what everybody else in his unit is doing, caught in the linesof men he will stab with them and so on so forth where as the bandit is as likely to try and knock out that pretty elf archer so he can rape her later.   no group of bandits will ever reach the training of the roman legions for exmple

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2010, 09:33:01 PM »
I agree with commandant, no matter how many people you kill, if you are trained to kill every day in a battline, using tactics and your weapons and armour, when the fight begins, pure muscle memory takes over and your reflexes and adrenalin goes through the ceiling. That newbie soldier will be a better and more effective fighter than that bandit who  usually fights one on one and probably needing surprise and ambush in order to win.

• Members
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2010, 06:56:23 AM »
Fair enough.

In Warhammer terms though, is the skill level of the ambushing bandit that much less than the trained soldier that we can't have both at WS3?
"Reason is a thing of God, inasmuch as there is nothing which God the Maker of all has not provided, disposed, ordained by reason - nothing which He has not willed should be handled and understood by reason" Quintus Tertullian

Offline kk14

• Members
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2010, 07:26:02 AM »
The WS 3 of the bandit may take into account his 'surprise attack' and dirty fighting style, whereas the WS 3 of the soldier takes into account his training and unit cohesion.
If you can't convince the voters to accept your view, and you take to the gun, you are by definition anti-American.

Veni, Vidi, domum meum redire volo.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2010, 09:10:01 AM »
so ws is ok and the bandit should have ld 6 instead of 7.

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2010, 12:16:14 PM »
Thats it.

lower quality troops have lower base LD values. . . so now lets duscuss skaven.  :eusa_wall:

• Members
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
Since they have such good training, I think that state troops should have a special rule, let's call it "steady in the ranks" where the unit can add their rank bonus to their leadership (up to a maximum of leadership 10). It is cumulative with the Greatswords stubborn ability, so they can be stubborn on leadership 10 if they have enough ranks.

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2010, 10:35:09 AM »
Yeah, can you imagine the whining from skaven players then?

Offline Lord Solar Plexus

• Members
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2010, 01:57:26 PM »
But why should Empire have such a rule as opposed to any other army?

1. State Troops need a boost.
2. This is not warhammer-anyotherarmy but the Empire wishlisting thread.
3. Elves fighting and training since before the creation of the Elves already provides ASF. If that would actually make them really good, why don't they have WS 10, BS 10?

Empire troops aren't IME designed to kill things awfully well.

That I gather is everyone's experience. In fact, this often lamented fact is the reason for all these threads. Empire troops should be designed to kill things, at least once in a while.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 02:07:15 PM by Lord Solar Plexus »
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. - S. Clemens

www.tablepott.de - Wir sind das Ruhrgebiet!
www.rheinerftliga.haarrrgh.de

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2010, 02:24:43 PM »
I mean, they have been killing things for the past two and a half thousand years. . . Why can't we kill anything now?

I mean, we DID defeat numerous orc invasions, Undead uprisings, chaos incursions, a random high elf attack and unlimited numbers of beastmen have fallen to us. . . why are still getting wraughted?