home

Author Topic: 40K  (Read 303064 times)

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
Re: 40K
« Reply #550 on: April 25, 2010, 07:32:16 AM »
I bought the Battle mission book on friday! Man is it filled with goodness! And yesterday my Homeguard/National protection forces platoon had a day at the firing ranges and I announced I was going to make a 40K version of the imfamous Delta X-ray platoon for 40K!  :icon_razz:

My platoon mates said I was crazy, but that it was nothing new to them.  :icon_mrgreen:
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #551 on: April 25, 2010, 08:26:02 PM »
Well, BBLB and H&F got to play tonight. They didn't really do too much, combined they took down a thousand sons squad, one of them charged a chaos lord and got melta bombed (we realised after he needed a six to hit, so we redid it, the defiler killed the lord).

Really, my plaguemarines gunned his men down, my prince spent 3 turns being tarpitted by a thousand sons squad, and then his terminators came down.

And all died in one go to the prince and a Defiler. Tabled the guy, looked at the time, less than an hour had gone by. I felt bloody bad then.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #552 on: April 25, 2010, 08:28:53 PM »
Why? It's not like 3 Defilers and a single Prince constitute a cheese-fest.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #553 on: April 25, 2010, 08:31:39 PM »
The defilers didn't even do much!  :unsure:

One immobilised his Lascannon dread, whereupon two empty rhinos parked around it and drove around it every turn like circling sharks to block it's LoS  :icon_twisted: , one spent the game on it's back like a dead spider after the meltabomb incident, and the other killed 1 thousand son and 2 terminators (not including all 3 needing to fire on a thousand sons squad, and not even killing them all).

I guess it was due to both of us being Chaos, we had small armies. By the time my men disembarked, his AP3 Tksons were either in combat or about to be shot, his plaguemarines managed to miss mine, and his tag team of a lord and a daemonprince got bogged down by a daemon unit I dropped from a rhino beacon as my troops zoomed past him.

Then his terminators dropped down once all his stuff were dead, and got combo charged by the prince and a defiler. The prince neatly cut down 2, then the other 3 almost cut him down. The defiler fluffed, and then next turn the prince finished them.

Next week I fight a dual monolith necron army!   :mrgreen: Thinking the usual setup, with heavies going to be two vindicators and 3 oblits. Gonna have to drop the sorc for those oblits me thinks. Mmmm.

Also, does anyone know what ignores We'll Be Back? I lost my necron codex in the great purge of 2008 (my room was redone).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 09:40:50 PM by MrDWhitey »

Offline Taureus

• Members
« Reply #554 on: April 25, 2010, 11:29:18 PM »
Also, does anyone know what ignores We'll Be Back? I lost my necron codex in the great purge of 2008 (my room was redone).

Power weapons/fists and any weapons that are double their toughness (so S8+)
Quote from: The Red Scourge;4561884
Funny. Rick Priestley always imagined 1 model to equate around 5 men, but then again, they were just a bunch of hippies, so he was probably too stoned to notice ;)

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #555 on: April 26, 2010, 12:32:12 AM »
More specifically, any close combat weapon that ignores their armor save.
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Taureus

• Members
« Reply #556 on: April 26, 2010, 01:19:25 AM »

Yes, but I can't think of anything else CSM have access to besides those...They might have force weapons (I don't play CSM, so I can't say).

Other possibilities are Rending CC attacks. Again, I don't know if there are any of these in the CSM book.
Funny. Rick Priestley always imagined 1 model to equate around 5 men, but then again, they were just a bunch of hippies, so he was probably too stoned to notice ;)

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #557 on: April 26, 2010, 01:31:14 AM »
I would be immensely surprised if Sorcs couldn't get Force Weapons, and while I remember 'Zerkers having some sort of special CC weapon, I think that's me mixing up their old book with the newer one.
Grutch:  Careful, someone I know on a forum I visit works for Sony.  He says they aren't to be trusted.

Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #558 on: April 26, 2010, 07:39:14 AM »

Yes, but I can't think of anything else CSM have access to besides those...They might have force weapons (I don't play CSM, so I can't say).

Other possibilities are Rending CC attacks. Again, I don't know if there are any of these in the CSM book.
They have access to both. And Plasma/Melta, Las- and Battlecannons. So plenty really.

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #559 on: April 26, 2010, 08:06:18 AM »
Plasma cannon's wouldn't work, it's only close combat weapons that ignore armor saves or any weapon that's more than double their T.

Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #560 on: April 26, 2010, 08:21:44 AM »
Plasma cannon's wouldn't work, it's only close combat weapons that ignore armor saves or any weapon that's more than double their T.
Ah, so not equivalent to the stuff that cancels Feel no Pain. Good to know, because that's the way it was explained to me once.

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #561 on: April 26, 2010, 08:32:23 AM »
Yeah, it's a bit different. It's really a very nice rule, just complicated.

For example, you leave the 'crons on the field no matter what, you don't remove them after one turn or after they've moved out of the resurrection range of another squad.

Most people will remove them after one turn (even if they don't fail their "We'll Be Back" roll), or if they're out of range of a unit that can revive them.

Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #562 on: April 26, 2010, 10:56:59 AM »
I would not be surprised if they replace the rule with Feel No Pain in December when the new book comes out.  The current rule is okay, but it needs a little help.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
« Reply #563 on: April 26, 2010, 11:01:57 AM »
Battle cannons are nice against necrons! :D
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #564 on: April 26, 2010, 11:20:39 AM »
I would not be surprised if they replace the rule with Feel No Pain in December when the new book comes out.  The current rule is okay, but it needs a little help.

Phil

I've heard FNP and Relentless for a while, from a variety of sources.

Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #565 on: April 26, 2010, 12:50:08 PM »
I'm thinking of taking the defilers now, and ignoring the monoliths. Forcing him to phase out.  :mrgreen:

He's thinking of taking a C'tan too... Will add that to the list of things to ignore and go for phase out.

Also thinking of trying some dreaded "6 power weapon with rerolls to wound on the charge attacks" terminators...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 06:46:38 PM by MrDWhitey »

Offline Taureus

• Members
« Reply #566 on: April 27, 2010, 04:08:24 AM »
Yeah, it's a bit different. It's really a very nice rule, just complicated.

For example, you leave the 'crons on the field no matter what, you don't remove them after one turn or after they've moved out of the resurrection range of another squad.

Most people will remove them after one turn (even if they don't fail their "We'll Be Back" roll), or if they're out of range of a unit that can revive them.

If there isn't a unit in range to resurrect them the following turn, they are removed.

They don't just rock out until you can move into range to bring them back...

Offline t12161991

• Members
  • Let's Go Blue!
« Reply #567 on: April 27, 2010, 04:21:41 AM »
There's some trick to the wording that's important. I'll ask the local player again.

Hail! Hail! to Michigan
The leaders and best!

10-2

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #568 on: April 27, 2010, 10:36:12 AM »
True, but if there is a monolith within 24" they can just beam to that and roll their get back up anyway.

Also, I would go the opposite direction Dwhitey.  Drop vehicles and mob marines.  Use obliterators or havok squads on the monoliths.  Necrons will murder vehicles if you aren't dropping piles of them.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #569 on: April 27, 2010, 11:18:50 AM »
True, but if there is a monolith within 24" they can just beam to that and roll their get back up anyway.

Also, I would go the opposite direction Dwhitey.  Drop vehicles and mob marines.  Use obliterators or havok squads on the monoliths.  Necrons will murder vehicles if you aren't dropping piles of them.

Phil

I usually drop 6+ vehicles (minimum of 3 transports, rest artillery) a game. I personally think going after the monoliths will be a waste, especially if I'm killing his necron troopers with weapons that ignore We'll be Back.

That's just how I personally feel about it. That and I only have 3 painted obliterators, and no havocs.  :-D

My painted list (hopefully) by the game will be:

4 Squads of 7 plaguemarines with double plasma, each squad with a rhino one squad left to do, all rhinos done
10 Raptors with the mark of nurgle, champ with lightning claws needs details and basing
5 terminators with lightning claws ("The Unadorned", plain as hell looking, but the two with flesh showing are heavily mutated, so on the outside they look normal, on the inside, chaotic) needs starting
8 Khorne Berzerkers details and basing
5 Chosen with all plasma/melta (got a Dark Angels veteran squad, using them as a sacrificial "Fallen Angels" group, as I hate emo DA  :engel:needs starting
3 Defilers done
2 Vindicators done
3 Obliterators done
1 Land Raider done
Daemon Prince done
Sorcerer done

When it comes to 40k, I'm trying desperately (and so far succeeding) in fielding only painted forces.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 11:23:19 AM by MrDWhitey »

Offline McKnight

• Members
« Reply #570 on: May 08, 2010, 11:54:32 AM »
Our gaming club is having a 1750pts tournament the first weekend in july and I have already started making lists.

Im going to play blood angels, I think... maybe Imperial guard, but dno.

Anyways heres my list, sorry for the AB format:

1 Mephiston, Lord of Death (HQ) @ 250 Pts
     #Artificer Armour; #Psychic Hood; #The Sanguine Sword; #Unleash Rage;
     #Wings of Sanguinius; Force Weapon; Plasma Pistol; Frag Grenades; Krak
     Grenades; Psyker (3)

5 Sanguinary Guard (Elites)  250 Pts
     #Chapter Banner; Glaive Encarmine (x5); Angelus Boltgun (x3); Infernus
     Pistol (x2); Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades; Jump Packs

1 Sanguinary Priest (Elites)  75 Pts
     Jump Pack; Bolt Pistol (x1); Close Combat Weapon (x1); Frag Grenades; Krak
     Grenades; Blood Chalice

1 Furioso Librarian (Elites)  175 Pts
Wings of Sanguinius; Might of Heroes;

10 Assault marines (Troops)  235 Pts
2 meltaguns, sergeant with powerfist

10 Assault marines (Troops)  235 Pts
2 meltaguns, sergeant with powerfist

8 Death Company (Troops)  240 Pts
Bolter; Close Combat Weapon (x1); Frag Grenades; Krak Grenades
2 have BP and powerweapon
     1 Rhino

1 Baal Predator (Fast Attack) @ 145 Pts
     Smoke Launchers; 2 Spons. Hvy Bolters; TL Assault Cannon

1 Baal Predator (Fast Attack) @ 145 Pts
     Smoke Launchers; 2 Spons. Hvy Bolters; TL Assault Cannon

Models in Army: 39

Total Army Cost: 1750

I know it doesnt have a lot of scoring units but thats not really the plan of this army.
Its an offensive army and will be played that way. It is going to attack the enemy's scoring units and choose my battels because of my mobility. If needed, then my assault marines will be able to jump to an objective.

The main battle plan is as follows.
The two dakka baals, DC rhino, mephiston and Librarian dread start on the table will the rest deepstrike. The force that is on the table will be deployed on one flank and will move up to the enemy quickly and prepare an assault and weaken the enemy. In turn 2, about 2 squads should enter the battlefield and will land somewhere out of reach of counterassaults, or preferably behind the enemy and then melta the enemy's heavy tanks while supported by the ground forces.
I think you get the idea :P

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #571 on: May 08, 2010, 12:08:17 PM »
I don't really get why you equip your DC with bolters - you want 'em in cc, not rapid-firing at stuff. And with the fast Rhino you should make cc by turn two.

Offline McKnight

• Members
« Reply #572 on: May 08, 2010, 12:28:07 PM »
Its because... well... i modelled them with bolters :p... I needed their weapons for assault marines  :closed-eyes:

But i think bolters are cool! They are relentless afterall, so they can rapid fire and assault afterwards.
Also it makes them a bit more versatile if their rhino gets blown up.

A little math hammer:
6 DC with pistols and CCW does 12,43 wounds on a marine stat victim on the charge. 10,45 from close combat attacks and 1,98 from pistols.
6 DC with bolters and ccw does 11,8 wounds on the charge. 7,84 from CC and 3,96 from bolters. So its not that big a difference.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #573 on: May 08, 2010, 02:26:59 PM »
DC with bolters are so wrong.

Plus, if you are better at shooting, he may remove the models closest preventing the assault. Sure you'll most likely plan for this and get very close, but it will happen.

Tomorrow I have the pleasure of introducing a new player to 40k, he bought my Tau and is going to face Chaos.

Just have to make a nice list for him to face.  :engel:

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #574 on: May 08, 2010, 02:42:58 PM »
DC with bolters are so wrong.

Plus, if you are better at shooting, he may remove the models closest preventing the assault. Sure you'll most likely plan for this and get very close, but it will happen.
Besides, McKnights calcs don't factor in the effects on the game. If you kill models in the shooting phase, he'll just make an unmodified Ld test. If you kill em in cc you have a good chance to run him down and take the unit out. CC kills are better!