home

Author Topic: Spears with shields, worth the cost or not?  (Read 3626 times)

Offline Commander Bernhardt

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
Spears with shields, worth the cost or not?
« on: January 24, 2011, 05:03:10 PM »
As Subject says I want to know if upgrading my 30 man unit of spearmen to carry shields is worth the investment when you can have like a VHS, Rod of Power or Casket for the same points.

my last couple of games I have been paying attention on the number of 5's I throw when taking armour saves and as a first impression it seems like a nice investment.
Now for some math: equipping my 30 man unit with shields costs 30 points. So to make the added point investment count my shields need to save (30/5) 6 wounds. This includes only AS throws of 5. Pure statistically by the time my shields save 6 models, my unit is allmost wiped out. (it has sufferd 36 wounds of which 6 are saved thanks to LA and 6 thanks to shields, leaving only 6 models alive)

but that's math and it didn't even include S4 or higher attacks...

my general thought is that shields just aren't worth the investment but I still want to know what the community thinks

President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Offline Johedl

• Members
Re: Spears with shields, worth the cost or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 05:37:47 PM »
my general thought is that shields just aren't worth the investment but I still want to know what the community thinks

Start with this: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36339.msg564258#msg564258 if you still want to know then wade throw this thread: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36642.0

Offline Ludwig von Blucher

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 09:32:25 PM »
I would say no. for the 30 points you can buy an extra 6 spearmen, use those dudes as your shields!

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 10:13:18 PM »
I'm of the same opinion, shields aren't worth it. Especially as you can't use them with the hand weapon to benefit from the 6+ WS, and you have to use the spear now. I've always felt more men is better than shields.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Commander Bernhardt

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 08:56:54 AM »
I think we can all agree on this one that more bodies is better than shields
President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.