home

Author Topic: Core Critique  (Read 4004 times)

Offline dka721

• Members
Core Critique
« on: September 13, 2011, 08:03:29 PM »
Ah the Core of the Empire my my favorite section, I love my core and am pretty happy with it just a few things I would like to see change.

1.  Spears.  Right now in 8th Spearmen are pretty useless but I think this is due to changes in the main rule book, I'm not sure how to make spearmen more viable other than making Empire Spearmen special in some way, and would like to hear what otehrs think of how to make spears viable. 

2.  Huntsmen/Archers,  I would like longbows back, that is all.

3. Currently I play with detachments not counting towards any category and I'm not sure if its right or not.  I would like detachments taken for core units count as core bur  at the same time If taken for Greatswords take from you special instead.  What are some thoughts on that?

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
Re: Core Critique
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 04:13:15 AM »
1. Leave their points as is and give them shields for free. Gives them a 5+ save and makes them just about on par with the other two choices. A nice mix of defense and offense, where swordsmen are all about defense and halberdiers about offense.

2. Other than the fact that you have to take a full 10 man squad to make them huntsmen, I'm ok with them as is. Reduce the cost of upgrading them to huntsmen or change their minimum size to 5. I don't think longbows are really needed.

3. You are doing it the right way. I don't have the rule book handy for a page reference, but it's under a paragraph that specifies that units that don't count towards the minimum cost/force org/core choices(no matter the wording of the rule in the specific army book) don't belong to any category and do not count towards the minimum or maximum points in categories. They do count toward your total army points though. I always played their points counting towards the category of their parent in 8th edition until someone pointed out that the rules specified they don't in 8th edition. I agree they should just count towards their parent unit's catefory.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline dka721

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 08:29:11 PM »
I like your idea for spearmen as it would make taking them more appealing. 

For Archers/Huntsmen I don't mind min 10 because I generally found 5 wasn't enough to get much done, I don't like their bows because I personally feel that having bows instead of crossbows or handguns Isn't a good trade off just to skirmish but paying pts to upgrade with scouts and longbows would definetly seem worth it.

Offline Noble Korhedron

• Members
  • Empire General
    • www.facebook.com/rtedders
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 04:27:06 AM »
I agree with whoever said Huntsmen need longbows. Come on - they're the elite of the Empire archers for Sigmar's sake!!

Offline finngoalie

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 07:40:24 PM »
I'm with the school that detachments should count toward the category of their parent unit. I'd also like to see a heavy armor option for core at +1 pt each. I disagree with shields free for spearmen since they already have the extra rank advantge. I would take  spearmen with hvy arm & shield for 7 each which is what DE spears cost with lt arm, shield, hatred. That to me would be equal.

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 02:30:52 PM »
Hopefully heavy armor will feature somewhere other than just temples and shrines in the next Empire book.

Perhaps some sort of breastplate made out of skulls? Powered by hourglasses?
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline Orcslayer

• Members
  • I salute you
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 10:42:44 PM »

Perhaps some sort of breastplate made out of skulls? Powered by hourglasses?

Where's my powder monkey wardsave?!
W/D/L with new army book: 30/15/20

Offline dka721

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 05:37:57 PM »
I honestly don't think Empire core needs heavy armor, or at least the ones that can take shields, halberdiers would be rad in heavy armor for 7pts but I think spearmen or swordsmen with heavy armor shield for 7pts is too cheap points wise and besides the army is about heavily armored infantry but more of unit compatability and tactics.