home

Author Topic: Blood Bowl ... Mid Atlantic Cup vs Wiss!  (Read 38106 times)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Re: Blood Bowl ... fill me in.
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2011, 06:32:08 PM »
Considering the BB fluff is not warhammer fantasy fluff, there is no reason you couldn't do an equivalent for 40k style.

Philly! shocking argument.
Moving men, rolling dice, drinking beer, talking to people = bloodbowl is amazing.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011, 01:43:22 AM »
There a strong rumours of a new BB game next year.

Real physical version I assume? How strong?

I can get you the measurements.

Thanks, It may not be till Chrimbo is over as everything is nuts till then  :happy:.

Let me know if you do plan on getting into this, Siberius.  We could get in some games and start a Mid Atlantic League or something.  Maybe even get our own team buses or charter planes! 

I have a box of militia that I could potentially use as a team, or maybe at some point I'd just drop money on a team I like since it's self contained and such.  Who knows, I may even be able to paint the whole thing myself...

Can't believe you have a box of militia sitting around unmade, treason! On the plus side, that sounds ideal. Well, I will let you know indeed. I know Wolfy will jump at this. I am hoping that due to the lower commitment levels and time taken, the girls might follow suit...

Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 12:23:50 PM »
I was going to make a Mordheim warband that could also serve as duelists but stopped after constructing two models.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2011, 06:52:41 PM »

Real physical version I assume? How strong?

Harry and Hastings strong.

25 years next year so...
My hood is my castle...

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2011, 02:20:41 PM »
You're making me think it might be worth hanging back a little longer to see what happens... I'd hate to go and learn a whole set of rules and make up a team if something new and exciting might be around the corner... and it's not like I'm invested with anything but mild interest yet...

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2011, 07:29:19 PM »
Bah, even if it is coming out next year, they aren't going to change it significantly. Even then downloading the rules is free, and building a cheap pitch isn't going to cost you a lot of money. The only investment will be in models and dice, unless you really want to purchase the boxed set. I say go for it, don't let fear of what might be ruin your enjoyment of the game now. It really is a fun game.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2011, 11:51:47 AM »
Alrighty, I'm gonna go for it! CoD, if you could get me those measurements I would be much obliged. I have the rules downloaded now so come thanksgiving when no one is doing much, it will be time to learn!

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2011, 08:14:18 AM »
Sorry it took so long to reply.

An individual square is 29mm across. That is from the center of one of those black corner crosses, to the center of the next black corner cross.

Those corner crosses are about 1mm in thickness and 4mm long. I figure if you just make your squares 30mm it will simplify it and make measuring much easier. The squares on the actual GW board are NOT uniform, and vary by a small amount depending on where they are on the pitch, so complete accuracy is not an issue.

The pitch is 15 squares wide and 26 squares long. It is arranged with a 1 square endzone at each end. There are two "wide zones" that are four squares wide on each side, and a center zone that is seven squares wide. The distance between the line of scrimmage (midfield) and each end zone is 12 squares.

The GW board has a set of score counter squares on one side of the board as well.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2011, 08:28:08 AM »
Here are some additional ideas to get you started.

First, a link to a completely ghetto printer paper and cardboard complete set of Blood Bowl equipment. http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=186671.0

Some images of home made pitches:

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2011, 02:44:50 PM »
Some of those are insane!

Thanks for the measurements. I plan to try out a game or two with the brother this afternoon if time (and family) permits. Probably just basic rules to get to grips with it. Read through that far at least and looks easily doable. Might print off the advanced rules ready to get a handle on them also.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2011, 04:49:22 PM »
So we played through a half yesterday in amongst dinner and whatnot. Took us a while but considering we were literally learning as we went not too bad. I can see this being a very enjoyable gaming option for those times when Warhammer is a bit much. Plus, I'm thinking it might be easier to get others into. It's virtually a board game, even if it is one with a bunch of potential additional rules... but the idea of getting some kind of league going is exciting.

I won the half with my humans by the by, 1-0. He was clsoe to my endzone with 3 turns to go, but I blitzed him, causing an amusing series of fumbles , the ball eventually landing in the hands of one of my players who got off a long throw and I nearly scored down the other end. I liked both how many ways there are to try and make things happen and switch it up, coupled with how fast the other team can get hold of the ball and score a breakaway goal.

So much to learn...

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2011, 05:35:40 AM »
 :happy: Awesome!

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2012, 10:10:51 PM »
So I am planning on making a pitch very soon. I read somewhere that making the squares a little bigger could help with room, especially with big guys and players knocked over. Think it is worthwhile?

If I did so, I could easily make the throw template comparatively bigger so that throwing was the same. I think that would be the only adjustment that would need to be made.

I'm not thinking to make the squares hugely bigger as I don't want the pitch to be too big, just maybe a a few more mm.

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2012, 10:53:15 PM »
If you just use the range chart in the rules, you don't have to worry about the throwing template. Then you don't have to worry about how big you make your squares. The only advantage of the template is that it is so much quicker to use than counting squares.

I'd say yeah, if you plan to use a lot of big guys, then yes bigger squares are nice. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2012, 10:54:26 AM »
I just play it on my xbox 360.  You can pick the game up for less than £20 these days.

Which is miles cheaper than buying the models!  I do have an undead team painted ages and ages ago, which is hideously badly done.
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2012, 08:26:02 PM »
Boy a lot of time has passed but for some reason the holiday season makes me start thinking BloodBowl...

And hence I have decided to declare that my pitch will be finished by Chrimbo, as will the painting on my human team, the 'Hergig Merlins'.

Just to prove it, here is my progress so far:

To explain further... I have painted on the base coats. My (ingenious?) solution to knowing what squares are where is a chequered pattern with my static grass. As you can see I have only just started but am quite optimistic.

I plan to leave the endzones empty and each team will have it's own endzone strip it can place in there.

I am undecided how I will paint on the white lines. Can you just gently brush them on?

Oh and Wiss, get a team together  :wink:.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
Re: Blood Bowl ... the thread!
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2012, 09:50:06 PM »
I still have that mostly unassembled box of militia.  That's what I've got planned for them.  But that's about as far as it's gone.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2012, 10:41:10 PM »
Maybe you should download the rules and do some light reading justin case  :-P

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2012, 10:42:23 PM »
Nice pitch so far!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2012, 03:05:24 PM »
Nice pitch!

I have had success painting white lines onto static grass but it's tricky.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2012, 07:21:46 PM »
Guess I mainly need to make sure the grass is relatively well sealed before hand!

Tried some of the alternating squares to see how it looks. Think it will be quite snazzy once finished.
 :happy:

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2012, 02:58:28 AM »
Bah!  Too many models laying around.  I have no need to get into another model game!
I read this. And died inside.
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline Clarkarias

• Members
  • Halton Hills, Ontario
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2012, 01:44:35 PM »
I've had success too in painting white lines on grass.  It works great if you treat the paint like line chalk and just cake it on and when it's partially dry you brush the grass back up.

Got to get going on my vampire team again!
Actually, forget Karl-Franz. I want rules for Thyrus Gorman on a dragon. - Rufus Sparkfire

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2012, 01:19:16 AM »
If you have access to an air brush, I'd just create a stencil and spray them on. I'd use some light weight cardboard and make them about 2mm wide. It would be best to make the stencil between 6" and 9" long. Place it down, spray on the paint, then move the stencil, spray again. Repeat until all your lines are painted. Don't worry about a little over spray under the stencil. As long as the over spray isn't too heavy I think it would only add to the look of it. If you do get a little too much over spray, you can go back and touch up the brown. I think you'll end up with a pretty good result that will look like real chalk lines on a field. I'd stick away from using regular spray paint as you'll get a lot more over spray.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2012, 06:19:14 PM »
Of course what might have been better was to lay the white line grid down first, and then 'paint' the paste up to the edge for the flock.   :engel:

Midaski helpful as ever ............... in hindsight   
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?