home

Author Topic: 2500 VC versus Ogres  (Read 2447 times)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
2500 VC versus Ogres
« on: May 16, 2012, 05:51:40 PM »
Unlike my usual battle reports (more than 50 of ‘em now, methinks) this one is not going to be a story one. It still has pics, but it is more about my wargaming experience rather than the little world the toy soldiers live in!

I wanted to see how my ancient Undead army would do using the new VC rules, to get an idea what I have to get (and paint) to make it viable in the world of  8th edition. I also wanted to get my head around Ogres for exactly the same reason, so I asked an old mate to play his Ogres versus my VC. He is well used to Ogres in 8th. I still haven’t used mine in 8th. It was supposed to be a learning experience.

It was.

My army was arrayed ‘thusly’ …

I had rebased a lot of old figurinos for the Grave Guard unit (they were on cardboard and milliput bases previously) so I had already begun the work of titillating my force for a new bout of games. As you can see, I went for a big cluster to max the effect of my corpse cart, general and army standard.

Here is said cluster.

The pathetic looking flying thing in the rear is my stand in for a Terrorgheist - I didn’t want to buy and paint such a thing if I didn’t like it in my army. The cardboard underneath it is the actual GW base size for the official model. (I’ve now seen the official model and my stand in is as unto a flea in comparison!)

My ghouls (which used to be skirmish) are a mish mash of old figures and paint jobs, with a sneaky zombie amidst their (few) ranks.

I am in the process of painting new-style ghouls right now.

The enemy also clustered in the centre …

With a second scrappie (my own) on their far right flank …

… my own scratch-built ironblaster near the centre (a game virgin) …

… and some scary looking Mournfang (actually old bull rhinox figures) and yhetees out on the far left.

Game summary to follow. I suppose you veterans of 8th will all have worked out who doesn’t stand a chance in this battle?
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: 2500 VC versus Ogres
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 06:23:54 PM »
I hate ogres, so I hope the undead win.

I love the tiny terrorgheist!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 09:53:45 PM »
Brace yourself, Rufus, you're gonna be disappointed. (NB: I take it you wouldn't want me to use Ogres in a future game. But we're booked for a Greenskin versus Greenskin game some time, yeah?)

The Battle

The Ogres made a cautious move to start with, and I responded by summoning some zombies up forward of my centre-left. Not sure why - that sort of thing used to slow down and distract the opposition in previous editions.

On my right the Ogres moved to set up a kind of pincer ready to charge, while I underestimated with the Terrorgheist could do and moved it onto the ruins (I have since learned it can scream at, and kill, an Ironblaster!), to join in a kind of counter-pincer with my dire wolves and Black Knights.

The Ogre scrappies stung my necromancers (one in the corpse cart - I won’t put him in there in future) but I wasn’t worried as I knew they could get wounds back with magic.

The Ironblaster killed my Terrorgheist with its first shot (perhaps a bit of luck was involved - he rolled a 6 for wounds). This then left that flank much underpowered. Subsequent turns out on the right saw my Wolves easily dispatched by charging Yhetees, then my Black Knights entirely unable to act for if they moved forwards (even to help the centre) they would be charged in the flank or rear by either one or both the Mournfangs and the yhetees. All I can claim is that I kept them out of the main battle. If my Terrorgheist had stayed around, maybe I could have done something a little more aggressive on that flank?

When the other ogres waited for me, I sent my now massively bolstered zombies forwards (growing from 25 to 35, from 30 to 44) thinking this would somehow divide the enemy and allow my Vampire and Grave Guard to concentrate on picking them off while the flanking units were distracted.

Zombies, yeah, can you dig it?

I now think I might have just one massive unit of Zombies in future, and bolster it to ridiculous levels. Start at 50, aiming for up to 100 by the time they fight. Maybe.

I think the ogres were laughing rather than bellowing, as they sized up my attack.

Then they went for it. I hadn’t really seen that they could get through the gap so easily. They charged both big units of zombies, and even sent a scrappie against the newly raised mob. (tbh, if they had turned that mess on my front left into one big combat, which they could have done, it would have gone worse for me in terms of Instability). They also managed to roll high enough to reach my skeletons in the centre (3D3 anyone). They got a 3D3 result elsewhere too.

This was the beginning of the end for me. Ironblaster + Slaughtermaster  + Bulls tore right through my lesser regiment of Zombies …

… and the Scrappie did the same to the raised mob. The other Bulls got stuck momentarily but by then I was being outflanked in the centre, and whatever I did with my Grave Guard I was never going to create any sort of counter attack.

The only good thing that happened was on my far left. My 14 ghouls (in my army simply to make up the core points) defeated a charging scrappie and killed it.

Big loss conceded.

Did I mention I was now painting some ghouls?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:23:34 PM by Padre »
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Ratarsed

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 06:33:22 AM »
Bad luck on the Terrorgiehst. That monster could have won you the game by itself!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 10:32:32 AM »
Damn those ogres!

Great report nevertheless!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 10:19:43 PM »
Not as good as what I used to from you, sir, which means this report was only semi-awesome.  :-D

Those zombies from the first pic, are they just very old GW zombies or from a different manufacturer? Also, is that a rifle scope for the kit-bashed iron-blaster? Well played, sir . . .  :::cheers:::
So, what would you guys do if some dude came at you with a belt that way?
Make sure I've got the safeword memorised.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 11:03:11 PM »
Yeah, I hadn't the time to do a full on thing - I've been doing a LOT of such stuff of late for the A6 campaign, winning a main award for it. I just wanted to do something different, for once, brief and concentrating on the gaming aspect rather than the story.

Mind you, I have a 4,000 pt game to turn into a full report like previously. You know, when you've done approx 40 of these things, and fluff stuff by the hundreds, it might just ... just ... get hard to motivate oneself to do more!

Can't work out which zombies you mean. And as for a rifle slope, you got me confused there too!

Hang on, you don't mean a scope is modelled on it, you mean I used one for the model - don't you. See http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=41321.msg672946#msg672946 for how the barrel was made.

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 03:50:25 AM »
Can't work out which zombies you mean.

Sorry, looking back at the pics, it's the ghouls I was curious about, not the zombies.

Hang on, you don't mean a scope is modelled on it, you mean I used one for the model - don't you. See http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=41321.msg672946#msg672946 for how the barrel was made.

Ah, it was a pen and a "pen torch" (small flashlight, yes?), and not a rifle scope. Sorry, I'm an American, I'm trained to think "firearms" and "blow stuff up" whenever I see something that looks remotely like a gun or gun related.  :mrgreen:
So, what would you guys do if some dude came at you with a belt that way?
Make sure I've got the safeword memorised.