home

Author Topic: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]  (Read 636684 times)

Offline Sig

• Members
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #10800 on: September 20, 2017, 09:17:28 PM »
Han's first strike catches the beast under its shoulder, but the second just finds one of its wing flaps, tearing a ragged hole the thing doesn't even notice. The magical weapons of his companions are far more effective, but his expression is grim when the vampire collapses, and he nods as it dissolves into mist.

"We can follow it" says Hans, uncertainly. "I don't know how far down there it's gone. But if we leave, it will regenerate given time. Even its hand will regrow. I've heard the catacombs and old ruins are as large as the city above..."

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #10801 on: September 20, 2017, 09:22:55 PM »
Mortus nods though she staggers when she tries to leave the support of the wall. Already her mind is whirling as she tries to force her physical body to obey it.
"how long will it take?" she asks.
She reaches into her belt pouch and takes out a flask and sips from it. The brandy seems to fortify her.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #10802 on: September 20, 2017, 11:14:47 PM »
"No idea" replies Hans. "I've read lots of different accounts. Some talk about vampires taking decades to regenerate. Then there's the tales of von Carstein, who was seen in battles within weeks of some of his deaths. I've only seen this once before, myself, and we didn't wait around to see how long she'd take to come back. We found her coffin and burned her in it, the few of us who survived anyway." Hans shudders at the memory.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #10803 on: September 20, 2017, 11:30:34 PM »
Heinrich grimly sets a torch to the vampire's severed hand, nodding in satisfaction when it catches and burns.

"No reason to wait until it does regenerate. Let's go. Mortus, go back to Max and get patched up some more. You can trust us to finish this."

Without waiting for a reply, he turns and heads in the direction the vampire ran, axe in one hand, torch in the other. He has left his bow lying where he dropped it, since it was useless against the thing before.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #10804 on: September 21, 2017, 07:55:41 AM »
Mortus sips from her flask again and watches sluggishly as Heinrich disappears into the gloom.   Even fortified by her magic and brandy she still feels sluggish and tired, her limbs leaden and her head heavy.   She takes a few steps after him and then staggers, supporting herself on the wall.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10805 on: September 21, 2017, 04:59:02 PM »
Admund sees the vampire reach out and swipe at Julian, and he strikes high with an upward slash, before driving his sword downward in a wicked arc, severing the beasts hand at the wrist. Before Admund could drive a thrust into the creature, Heinrich's axes sink into the vampire's chest.

As the vampire disappears into a mist, and spits. "Sigmar's bloody hammer, I've seen everything now..." His voice trails off into the darkness. He kicks the hand toward Heinrich and sheathes his sword as he sets it alight.

Admund nods at Heinrich, following his guttering orange flamed torch into the dark.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10806 on: September 22, 2017, 08:59:36 PM »
Mortus casts cure light wounds on herself [-4MP. Restore d6 wounds: 4].

The others descend the walkway into the cavern. The remaining ghouls are demoralised by the death (temporary though it might be) of their king and are easily dispatched. Down among the ruins, the group see that the stonework does indeed appear elven. It must be incredibly old, dating back to an ancient elf city that existed before Marienburg. Here and there are inscriptions, though none of the group can understand them.

They are able to follow the path they saw the mist-form vampire take. It leads them to the edge of the water: the sea has entered this cavern and partly covered the ruins here. The water is still and lifeless.

The party see a low building with an intact roof. The cavern floor is sloped here: half of the building is underwater. There is a large but narrow crack on the side that the mist could have seeped through. There are no entry points on the part of the building that is above water. The water is murky, but it looks as though there is a submerged doorway. Entering the building will mean going into the water (the part where the doorway is is above head height).

There are no other buildings in this area that look capable of housing the vampire's tomb.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10807 on: September 26, 2017, 12:20:22 AM »
"Master Dwarf," Admund says,"Did you bring your stone tools?" He inspects the crack in the tomb. He finds a stone and tosses it underhand into the dark water, to see if there is any movement.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10808 on: September 26, 2017, 01:44:51 PM »
"aye, but i'm not sure they'll do much good. Reckon it'll take a lot more squeezing for a dwarf to get through that than some... vampire mist" Julian pats his belly, and inspects the crack.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10809 on: September 26, 2017, 10:27:23 PM »
"Hans is skinny 'nuff. Could chisel a whole for him or Max." Admund says, his eyes scanning the water for movement.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #10810 on: September 26, 2017, 11:55:33 PM »
"Can't swim too good, though I guess I can try" says Hans doubtfully. "Would prefer to have one of your magic weapons on hand when we find him though."

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10811 on: September 28, 2017, 08:48:01 AM »
Despite the crack, the stonework looks strong to Julian. He think it will take a few hours to open a big enough hole in it.
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10812 on: September 29, 2017, 10:51:10 AM »
Admund runs his hand on the tomb. "Well, I guess we could try to swim it?"

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #10813 on: September 29, 2017, 10:53:21 AM »
Julian inspects the building carefully, tapping the masonry with a hammer while listening to the resonations, and prying small chunks of masonry from around the crack. Eventually he says "I can open this up, but it'll take me a few hours."

"Could try this elf ring and go underwater, but can't say i'm keen on trusting dark elf magic"
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #10814 on: September 29, 2017, 11:43:57 AM »
Could try this elf ring and go underwater, but can't say i'm keen on trusting dark elf magic"

Heinrich peers into the dark waters. After a moment of internally building up his courage, he speaks. "I could do it. I'm not keen on it either, but I could do it. That vampire needs to be destroyed, quickly, and the ring is the quickest way."

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10815 on: September 30, 2017, 02:40:24 AM »
"Bloody Morr..." Admund grumbles, smacking his palm on the tomb. "So, we use some elf magics, then you're in a tomb with a vampire. If the damned thing works, then what?"

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #10816 on: September 30, 2017, 02:59:09 AM »
"Bloody Morr..." Admund grumbles, smacking his palm on the tomb. "So, we use some elf magics, then you're in a tomb with a vampire. If the damned thing works, then what?"

Heinrich shrugs. "Then I burn it."

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #10817 on: September 30, 2017, 04:28:27 AM »
"It should be weak, for a moment at least" offers Hans. "It may not even be able to fight back at all if you're quick about it."

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10818 on: September 30, 2017, 01:44:36 PM »
If Heinrich puts on the elven ring, he doesn't feel any different. Hopefully it will do what it's supposed to do.

[does he go into the water with his armour on?]
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #10819 on: September 30, 2017, 01:56:40 PM »
If Heinrich puts on the elven ring, he doesn't feel any different. Hopefully it will do what it's supposed to do.

[does he go into the water with his armour on?]

Heinrich puts on the ring and strolls confidently into the water, leaving only his bow and arrows behind. He pushes down the gnawing fear as the icy wetness sinks into his boots and soaks into his breeches. Trepidation sends shivers up his spine almost in unison with the creeping fingers of the water as it crept upwards while he wades deeper. He can't help but hold his breath as the water inches up his neck and eventually covers his head. Submerged in darkness, panic tries to seize him; he can almost hear his heart pounding against his ribs. Only his trust in Julian prevents him from trying to claw his way to the surface. His dwarf friend had never failed him, and if he said the ring would let him breath underwater, then it would. Heinrich braced himself; fought down one last bout of panic. Then he does the bravest thing he had ever done. He breathes in.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10820 on: September 30, 2017, 03:44:01 PM »
 :Ohmy:

Heinrich tries to breathe in, but nothing happens. His lungs don't respond, and no water enters his mouth. It's strange - he isn't breathing, but he doesn't feel any need to. The ring's magic has suspended that natural function entirely while he's under the water.

Setting aside the uneasy feeling the elven magic gives him, he walks on - slowly - through the water, towards the open doorway. Once inside he walks up the sloping floor until he emerges into the air again. As soon as his head is above water, the need to breathe returns. He doesn't feel as though he's been holding his breath. He just feels normal.

The room is dark, apart from the torchlight shining through the crack in the wall from outside. He can see a large shape in the darkness: a stone sarcophagus. The vampire's tomb.
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10821 on: September 30, 2017, 11:53:45 PM »
Admund holds Heinrich's bow under his arm and leans his quiver against the tomb. His fingers drum anxiously on the hilt of his sword as Heinrich's head disappears beneath the black water.

After a few moments, Admund puts his ear against the crack to listen for Heinrich coming up in the tomb.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 01:11:25 AM by Karl Voss of Averland »

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #10822 on: October 01, 2017, 07:40:25 AM »
Heinrich approaches the tomb. He realizes suddenly that he was so worried about the ordeal of making the underwater trek that he didn’t think of any way to bring fire starting equipment with him. He looks around for anything he might be able to use to start a fire.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #10823 on: October 01, 2017, 11:09:00 PM »
Outside the building, Admund can hear Heinrich emerging from the water and moving around.

Inside, Heinrich looks about him for a way to start a fire. There is nothing: the building contains only the sarcophagus. Heinrich himself is of course quite soaked after his journey. There is however the crack in the wall - it might be possible for it to be widened enough for those outside to pass him what he needs.
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #10824 on: October 02, 2017, 04:34:50 AM »
"He's inside." Admund says to the others. "Bloody elf magics worked."