home

Author Topic: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]  (Read 645826 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #4350 on: March 08, 2013, 01:17:27 PM »
[Mortus]

"Ah, you are right of course about being unwelcome at Lady Isolde's," the Doktor says, "I'm afraid I am partly to blame for that. Hmmm, I do not know Janna at all... she is a servant, you understand. Perhaps we should ask Hugo? Hugo, would you come here please?"

The scarred man comes into the room, "What do you need, Doktor?"

"Lady Isolde's maid, Janna: do you know her?"

"Not well, Doktor. But I've seen her around the town sometimes. I believe she has a man here."

"Interesting. Do you know where the man lives?"

"Let me see: he's an apprentice of some sort... maybe a printer's apprentice?"

"Excellent - that would mean he works at Dritzehn's shop, on Fust Street. Very likely, anyway. Thank you Hugo." The Doktor turns to Mortus, "a conversation with this man might be enlightening. Shall we go there now? Or would you prefer to go alone, Miss Mortus?"
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #4351 on: March 08, 2013, 02:00:18 PM »
"We should go together," Mortus says.   "They might be more willing to talk to a friendly and known face.   We can use my carraige."

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4352 on: March 08, 2013, 02:48:11 PM »
[Klaus and Max]

Klaus and Max go to the bar and order lunch. The menu offers soup, bread, a choice of meat pies, cheese and pickles.

Uli raises his eyebrows when he sees them. "Been upstairs all morning, gentlemen? On such a nice sunny day?"

"Oh, we were working," Max says quickly, "I'm a lawyer, and Klaus is my client. It's a continuing matter though - naturally I wouldn't dream of bringing a case in Middenheim without registering with the local guild!"

"Just as you say sir, though there's no need to make excuses," Uli says, winking. "Anyhow, if you're looking for fun, I know all the best places to go. I used to be a.... tour guide, before I bought this place. Any interest?"
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4353 on: March 08, 2013, 03:06:57 PM »
"We better check this Ragni, evil seems to like sewers... remind me to tell you about the bogenhafen sewers one day"

Julian checks the recent hole
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4354 on: March 08, 2013, 04:10:37 PM »
[Julian and Ragni]

"I always enjoy your stories, Boss," Ragni says, "you can tell me over a few dozen pints tonight!"

They step through the gap into the passage beyond. Looking up, Julian sees a hole that extends up into the darkness. It's slimy with dripping water, and probably leads to the sewer system. Something could have fallen - or perhaps tunneled - down from above. In any case, it would be impossible to climb back up.

More rubble has completely blocked one end of the tunnel they are in. The other direction leads steadily downward. The floor is soaked from the water that must have poured down from the sewer, and is slippery underfoot. Julian and Ragni proceed cautiously.

After a while, the tunnel enters another cavern, this one half-flooded with rank water. There's a dry path around the cavern to the left. The surface of the water occasionally stirs, though whether it's due to escaping sewer gasses or to beasts of some kind is difficult to say.
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #4355 on: March 08, 2013, 08:22:44 PM »
[Heinrich]

Heinrich is aware that he is on a public street, though not a busy one, so a fight is liable to draw the watch. He charges forward, trying to break through.

[Heinrich 1: 90, miss
H2: 100! miss
H3 (off hand): 28, hits right leg. S4+1+d6 roll of 2-T4 = 3 wounds]

He manages to catch one of them a glancing blow to the leg. Both of them respond by attempting to stun him.

[Merc A attack 1 (stun): 90, miss
A2: 23, hits head (stun). S4+1+d6 roll of 4-T6-A2 = 1, 5%+20% for skill = 25% chance of stun. Dice roll = 44, failed]

[Merc B attack1 (stun): 76, miss
B2: 66, miss]

Only one of them succeeds in striking Heinrich, and the blow is deflected by his helm.

Johann is still closing the distance. He shouts, ""Heinrich! Stop! Your friend Julien Stonebridge is in danger. This doesn't need to happen."

[Heinrich S test = 05, pass!]

Heinrich has barreled his way past the two men. He could keep running, and try to lose them in the backstreets (the men were already tired from running to overtake him, so might not be able to follow him far). Or turn and continue the fight.

Heinrich will continue to run.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4356 on: March 09, 2013, 01:46:04 PM »
[Heinrich]

One of the henchmen (the one who wasn't wounded) drops his weapon and leaps at Heinrich in an attempt to grapple him to the floor.

[Henchman (grappling) to hit: 33. hit]

He manages to catch Heinrich in a hold. Heinrich attempts to slip free....

[Heinrich Dex test = 98, failed!]

...but he fails. Both of them fall heavily to the ground. Johan and the other henchman (who is limping due to the cut on his leg) close the distance. Heinrich struggles against the hold.

[Heinrich S test = 38, passed
Henchman S test = 53, failed]

Heinrich breaks free! He elbows the henchman in the face, scrambling to his feet and running at full pelt. The henchman moans and clutches at his nose.

The other henchman snarls and unshoulders his crossbow, but Johann yells at him to put it down. He runs after Heinrich, determined to catch him.

Heinrich runs past shoppers and stallholders, dodging around obstructions, while Johann chases after him. Neither has a clear advantage of speed, and both are beginning to tire!

[Heinrich T test = 46, pass
Johann T test = 41, failed]

Johann is starting to fall behind. Heinrich realises that he might be able to lose him by suddenly ducking down an alleyway to his left. Or, he could continue on the main street, and simply try to outrun him.
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #4357 on: March 09, 2013, 04:23:44 PM »
Heinrich continues to try to outrun Johann. He will stay on the main roads, and attempt to blend into a crowd of people if he can find one.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4358 on: March 09, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
[Heinrich]

Despite the heat and his heavy equipment, Heinrich is more than able to continue running. After a while, he finds himself in a busy square at the intersection of several major streets. A huge bronze statue stands at the center of the square. It depicts a crowned man with a noble expression, carrying several children in his arms. His foot rests on the broken neck of a giant rat.

The square is full of traders, entertainers and preachers. A patrol of watchmen are just about to pass him. Looking back, Heinrich can see no sign of his pursuer. He's sure that he's lost him.

Down one of the streets, not far away, is an enormous building that looks like a combination of castle and cathedral. It must surely be the city's famous Temple of Ulric.
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #4359 on: March 09, 2013, 04:47:44 PM »
[Heinrich]

Despite the heat and his heavy equipment, Heinrich is more than able to continue running. After a while, he finds himself in a busy square at the intersection of several major streets. A huge bronze statue stands at the center of the square. It depicts a crowned man with a noble expression, carrying several children in his arms. His foot rests on the broken neck of a giant rat.

The square is full of traders, entertainers and preachers. A patrol of watchmen are just about to pass him. Looking back, Heinrich can see no sign of his pursuer. He's sure that he's lost him.

Down one of the streets, not far away, is an enormous building that looks like a combination of castle and cathedral. It must surely be the city's famous Temple of Ulric.

Heinrich remembers Julian mentioning he might be heading to the temple of Grungni, so he will ask for directions and head there. He figures that warning the others is a top priority.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4360 on: March 09, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
[Heinrich]

A dwarf woman answers Heinrich's request for directions. "You want to visit the Chapel of Grungni? Well, go that way-" she points down a street "-along Zellaut Strasse, past that tall building - that's the Merchants' Guild - and just keep going. When you see the Lawyers' Guild, turn right down Wendenbahn. You'll see the entrance to the Chapel on your left."

He thanks her and sets off for the Chapel. Eventually, he arrives at a gate marked with a dwarfish rune. Heinrich knocks on it. After a while, it is answered by a robed dwarf who is presumably a priest. He looks a bit surprised. "Oh, hello. This is the Chapel of Grungni. Are you in need of directions to somewhere?"
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #4361 on: March 09, 2013, 05:39:29 PM »
[Heinrich]

A dwarf woman answers Heinrich's request for directions. "You want to visit the Chapel of Grungni? Well, go that way-" she points down a street "-along Zellaut Strasse, past that tall building - that's the Merchants' Guild - and just keep going. When you see the Lawyers' Guild, turn right down Wendenbahn. You'll see the entrance to the Chapel on your left."

He thanks her and sets off for the Chapel. Eventually, he arrives at a gate marked with a dwarfish rune. Heinrich knocks on it. After a while, it is answered by a robed dwarf who is presumably a priest. He looks a bit surprised. "Oh, hello. This is the Chapel of Grungni. Are you in need of directions to somewhere?"

Heinrich smiles. "No, sir. I am looking for a friend of mine who may have come here earlier in the day. He is named Julian Stonebridge. He would have had a young dwarf with him named Ragni. Have you seen them?"

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4362 on: March 09, 2013, 05:40:26 PM »
[Julian and Ragni]

The dwarfs walk cautiously around the cavern, staying on dry ground. Before they've gone very far, the surface of the water boils furiously. A huge, ophidian head emerges, hissing threateningly, rising up on a thick, scaley neck. The monster's body breaks the surface next: it resembles that of a lizard, but with eight legs, each ending in a clawed foot.

It leaves the water entirely and moves, still hissing, to block their way onward.
If I wanted to.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #4363 on: March 09, 2013, 05:42:56 PM »
Klaus even in no mood for women is itching to gamble a bit ..."hmmm what "fun" are you thinking about Uli? We still have some important work to do but I guess we could later on do for some cardplay....enlighten us "Tourguide of the beautiful city of Middenheim".

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4364 on: March 09, 2013, 05:45:39 PM »
[Heinrich]

"Oh, they are friends of yours? Yes, Mr Stonebridge and Ragni visited the Chapel to pay their respects to Grungni. They were here for some time, but I'm afraid they have now left. I can't tell you where they went, though Mr Stonebridge did say that he intended to visit the Dwarf Engineers' Guild today, and also the Komission for Non-humans. You may find them at one of those places. Would you like me to give them a message if they return here?"
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4365 on: March 09, 2013, 06:15:35 PM »
[Klaus and Max]

"Ah, a gambling man are you?" Uli says, "well, there's the Red Moon over in The Frieburg - not far from the Collegium. It's run by Eva Dietrich... she's quite a woman! Past her youth, but all the better for it! Wonderful singer too. Lots of card-games in there, and dice, wheels, the whole lot. There's an entry fee of course, so it's not for low spenders.

"Or you could try the Heaven's Lament. That's between here and the south gate. Bit more pricey to get in, and not so friendly. Good for gaming though. That elf from the Graf's court - Rallane - goes there sometimes. But he goes to a lot of different bars! Gets around, that chap.

"Come to think of it, you're more likely to see Rallane at the Singing Moon. It's a cabaret bar, run by another elf... uh... Kirista is her name. Wait, they don't allow anyone in without a membership, except as guests of an existing member. Joining is quite pricey!

"You're a fashionable-looking young gent," he says to Klaus, "so maybe you'd enjoy the Templar's Downfall. All the rich kids go there to be seen. Crazy prices on the drinks - they only serve these things called 'cocktails,' which are mixtures of different spirits. Charge the earth for them. And there's no beer or wine! It doesn't do formal gambling, but a lot of the patrons will be up for a hand or two of cards.

"Well, those are the nice places to gamble. I can tell you about plenty of dives, but like as not you'd be beaten and robbed within two minutes of stepping through the door! Stay out of Altquartier and Ostwald, unless you've got a small army with you!

"Of course, if you're interested in finding a lady... or a gentleman... I can tell you the best places to go for that too."
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #4366 on: March 09, 2013, 06:25:48 PM »
[Heinrich]

"Oh, they are friends of yours? Yes, Mr Stonebridge and Ragni visited the Chapel to pay their respects to Grungni. They were here for some time, but I'm afraid they have now left. I can't tell you where they went, though Mr Stonebridge did say that he intended to visit the Dwarf Engineers' Guild today, and also the Komission for Non-humans. You may find them at one of those places. Would you like me to give them a message if they return here?"

"Yes, I have a message for him. Please tell them it is not safe to walk the streets. Someone, another dwarf I don't know and three human mercenaries, tried to kidnap me, Heinrich, to use against Julian. If you see them, tell them to return to the inn before dark if they can, and stay in busy streets." Heinrich will thank the dwarf for his help, offer a couple crowns to Grungy, and ask for directions to the two places he mentioned.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4367 on: March 09, 2013, 06:37:35 PM »
[Heinrich]

The dwarf is clearly shocked. "That's terrible! And to think a brother dwarf would be behind something like that! I will certainly do what I can to make sure Mr Stonebridge is warned. And I'll ask around too... someone must know who this dwarf is. If I discover anything, I'll send a message to your inn. Thank you for your donation, sir. Grungni smiles on honourable men like you.

Now, the Dwarf Engineers' Guild is just up the street - on your right as you head toward the Great Park. The Komission for Non-humans is rather further away. You need to go up to the Park, then go all the way around it to the other side. When you see the Temple of Ulric, go on up Heilige Strasse until you see the Temple of Verena. You can't miss it, it's a lovely building. The Komission is just across from the temple. Grungni watch over you."
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #4368 on: March 09, 2013, 08:44:40 PM »
[Heinrich]

The dwarf is clearly shocked. "That's terrible! And to think a brother dwarf would be behind something like that! I will certainly do what I can to make sure Mr Stonebridge is warned. And I'll ask around too... someone must know who this dwarf is. If I discover anything, I'll send a message to your inn. Thank you for your donation, sir. Grungni smiles on honourable men like you.

Now, the Dwarf Engineers' Guild is just up the street - on your right as you head toward the Great Park. The Komission for Non-humans is rather further away. You need to go up to the Park, then go all the way around it to the other side. When you see the Temple of Ulric, go on up Heilige Strasse until you see the Temple of Verena. You can't miss it, it's a lovely building. The Komission is just across from the temple. Grungni watch over you."

Heinrich will thank the dwarf again, and head to the engineer's guild to ask if Julian had been there.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #4369 on: March 09, 2013, 11:11:56 PM »
"Those are great informations Uli, a pity you stopped working as a tour guide you certainly have the skills for it. Max lets get done checking those papers quickly and then go for a drink at that Singing Moon bar....I will try to talk us inside, the chance to talk to an elf...especially one from the royal court... I have never talked to an elf, only seen one in Averheim from the distance. We could even start a tour going through all the bars Uli mentioned...meeting people maybe there might be informations about Empire politics and what is going on at the courts these days."

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4370 on: March 11, 2013, 12:15:40 AM »
"Grungni's beard, it never ends!"

Julian hail's the creature, remembering the tails told throughout the oldworld of the Lizard men of Lustria, long past realising that anything he once dismissed as myth is probably true, and backs up.

[is it big enough to fit through the gap we just came from?]

[if it attacks, shoot it then fight!]

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4371 on: March 11, 2013, 11:26:27 AM »
[Klaus and Max]

"That sounds like it would be fun, Klaus," Max says, "I did promise Mr Julian that I'd find out about the... uh... you know... today though. If we're not finished by tonight I'll have to stay in."

After lunch, they go back to the room and begin to study Othmayer's spell books. Max looks at the true name of the King, as given by Othmayer. "Uh, well, this does look like it could be a genuine name. It's in the right language anyway, and I think I could pronounce it. But I won't risk saying it out loud now! When you told me he wrote the name down for you, I was worried he'd have just written something insulting or absurd, but this could be the name. Unless he decided to be more subtle. Hmmmm. Maybe one of these books will confirm it."

Klaus finds that he is unable to do much to help. The language used in the books is extremely complex, and completely outside his own experience. Max is obviously struggling to make any sense of them. Then he cries out in triumph, and begins to read rapidly.

[Max Int test (with a penalty!) = secret result!]

[Max WP test = failed, 1 insanity point gained!]

After some time, Max sets the books down, and goes over to the window. He stares out for a while before speaking. "Those books are very strange, Klaus," he says in a dream-like voice, "I felt as though I walked through a city made of straight lines that twined around each other. The people had the faces of fish, and their voices were like bubbling streams. Then I came to a silver bridge over an infinite void. As I crossed it, I saw the world appear below me. There were coloured threads over everything, connecting everything. Some were red, some were purple, but there were other colours too. In some places, the threads ate at each other, and in some places they coiled together into strong ropes. The red threads were withering away, so that they were almost gone. At one end of them I saw an empty skull, and I sensed its name. But then my gaze was draw to the center, where all the threads met. I saw the thing that spins the threads."

He looks at Klaus, his eyes wide and frightened. He opens his mouth to speak, then shakes his head and looks away. "I'm sure the name we have belongs to the King. We can use it to call him to a place of our choice, when we are ready to fight him. I think I can weaken him too, by inscribing his name along with some arcane symbols. Uh. I need to go for a walk, Klaus, in the sunshine. I feel so strange... I'll just go to the park. Um. By myself, if you don't mind. I'll be back soon. Thanks for your help."

He wanders out of the room.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 11:35:57 AM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4372 on: March 11, 2013, 11:34:22 AM »
[Heinrich]

Heinrich soon finds the Dwarf Engineers' Guild and goes inside. The dwarf at the front desk looks up from a large stack of papers and says, "Hello, sir. You here on business?"

Heinrich asks about Julian. The dwarf clerk offers to check the guild records.

"Yes, we have a member called Julian Stonebridge. No record of him ever visiting Middenheim. I expect he'll be along soon though, if he's in town. Want to leave him a message?"
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4373 on: March 11, 2013, 11:59:01 AM »
[Julian and Ragni]

The creature draws back its head when Julian speaks to it, as though surprised. It watches the dwarfs back away. The creature could certainly follow them back into the tunnel, but it doesn't seem to be interested in doing so. As the dwarfs move away, it begins to return to the pool.

"Funny looking beasty," Ragni whispers, "want to axe it, Boss?"

Julian wonders if the creature came down here from the sewers. He notices that it is wearing a collar, with a metal tag on it.
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4374 on: March 11, 2013, 12:09:13 PM »
“I don’t want to axe it Ragni, but we might have to. It had a collar and a tag, so I’d guess that someone put it there to stop people getting beyond it. If that’s the case we need to get past it, plus the collar might have a hint of who owned it. But seems a bit dangerous to tackle with just the two of us. I wonder if we could trap it… Why don’t we finish looking around down here, then head to the guild.”

[skill check, could Julian build a trap and bait it with some fish or something to catch it?]

Pass the machete.