home

Author Topic: TDG 3: Get in on the action!  (Read 13575 times)

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
Re: TDG 3: Get in on the action!
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 10:04:14 PM »
HHG can u make the voting, so we only need to give point to our top 3?

And maybe a no go, on voting on own´s one list?

I´ll second that.
No point really in voting for one´s own list if everyone´s doing it, and rating all lists is a bit excessive and more paperwork then it´s worth I should think.

I'll +1 this. It's not like my list will get votes anyway. It has no Steam Tank.
There are three things each man judges another man by;

1. The size of his codpiece
2. The amount of skulls he carries
3. The length of his feather

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 10:24:05 PM »
If that's the case, you, me and 3 other guys are going to get shut out, then. I'm not sold by what I've seen of the S-Tank, though I admittedly haven't seen that much.

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 11:53:37 PM »
If that's the case, you, me and 3 other guys are going to get shut out, then. I'm not sold by what I've seen of the S-Tank, though I admittedly haven't seen that much.

It is undoubtedly a beast that can win a game and is an auto-include for most people as it is so good. I just didn't want one in my list.

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 11:58:15 PM »

It is undoubtedly a beast that can win a game and is an auto-include for most people as it is so good. I just didn't want one in my list.

I don't have a STank so I'm still interested in how it works.  Along with Volley Gun and Demigryphs.   
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2012, 12:16:10 AM »
Yup.  It's a good option that we've seen in the last 3 TDG games (counting TDG 2 as two games).  I'd like to see Empire perform without one.

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 02:16:52 AM »
Yup.  It's a good option that we've seen in the last 3 TDG games (counting TDG 2 as two games).  I'd like to see Empire perform without one.

I basically built my lists around "What are the auto includes and how can I not put them in the list?" The Hurricanum sneaked in as HHGs original Griffon Formation lists all used the Luminark.

Offline Windelov

• Members
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2012, 06:39:09 AM »
A small Free Company, deployed front, clears minor chaff and provide redirectors by 2 archer detachments.

10 Free Company (60)
5 Archers (35)
5 Archers (35)

Free Company Militia are not able to be a parent unit.

Thx, that was a last minut change and I didnt think of it. I now changed it to a 10 archer parent with 2 x 5 free company redirectors.

Offline Calisson

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • From Druchii.net
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2012, 06:55:25 AM »

In theory, the fairest way to select a list would be to ask everyone to rank all lists (1 = best, 2 = sencond best...), then add all rankings, and the lower wins.

May I suggest a slightly diverse approach?
Each voter gives +2 to his preferred (including his own), +1 to his second preferred, and -1 to his most unwanted.
That should be enough to sort out the lists.
In case of a close call, keep the 3 best, and do it again a second time.
Quick and fair.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:57:30 AM by Calisson »

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2012, 08:08:48 AM »

I´ll second that.
No point really in voting for one´s own list if everyone´s doing it, and rating all lists is a bit excessive and more paperwork then it´s worth I should think.

I'll +1 this. It's not like my list will get votes anyway. It has no Steam Tank.

My list is in even worse shape so.   No Stank and no DGKs.   I think it will end up on the bottom of the pile.

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2012, 10:00:01 AM »
I love it.  We are having a "vote"/discussion about the voting process!   :eusa_clap:

I like the idea of not voting for every list, but just for your favorites.  So I am going to have people list their top 5 in order.  Every top list gets 5 pts, 2nd list gets 4 pts, etc down to a 5th place getting 1 pt.  I will total it up and name the top 3 winners.

After my comparison chart below, I am going to list reasons why you should vote for each list based on a TDG perspective, not from a power or a "what you like best" perspective.  Of course, they are my opinions as a moderator so take them for what they are worth... but make your own decisions based on what you would like to test.

One of the primary reasons of the TDGs is to learn.  All of the lists we use don't have to be uber-competitive to meet that goal!  (For instance, the 1st TDG infantry-based list).

Anyway, without further ado, here is the comparison chart I came up with.  If I made any mistakes, just let me know.  The blue highlights are the lists that I deemed top in that area or really heavy in that category compared to the other lists.

Altdorf Elite-  This list has a little bit of everything.  Very balanced.  I think it will perform well against all opponents.

Upside Down, Sideways-  Also a balanced list, but with more troops.  Vote for this one if you want to see a balanced list with no STank.

Griffony, Griffon of Griffoness (G3)-  Holy Shooting Batman!  Vote for this if you want to see the power of Empire's delay and defend gunline.

Faith, Steel, and Gunpower-  Griffon in the center with Demis on the Wings.  Backed by serious arty.  Probably the nastiest list of the bunch!

Shadow of the Griffon-  Only list with 2 Wizards, and 1 of 2 that uses Shadow, something we haven't done yet.  Has something for every phase!

Talabheim 6-  Has some units we haven't used yet like the Hurri and Outriders and the popular Inverted Formation.

The Lost Crusade-  Has 2 troop blocks backed by 2 tanks and an HBVG! Also, lots of character support.

The Double Griffon-  If one Griffon is good, two has got to be better, right?  One Halb, one GS.  Backed by a WAltar, Lum and Hurri these troops will be well-buffed!

Hold the Line!-  Another double troop block but with lots of detachments.  Lots of wounds to soak up damage and diverters to slow and manage the enemy's advance.

King of Pain-  the 2nd list using Shadow.  Lots of diverters, mobility and some cannon assets.  A balanced list that will do well against all opponents.

Crusading Army of Sigmar-  Lots of wounds on the table in this one!  Has some new things we haven't explored with Fire, Huntsmen, and a Hurri.

Middenheim's Manly Men-  Lots of toys in this one- Captasus, Demis, cannon, HBVG, and STank!  All of this plus plenty of troops on the line.

--------------------------------------------------------

After taking a moment to look at the graph and scan each listing on how the creator envisions the army to function, figure out what you want to see in this TDG.

Don't feel bashful in voting for your own list!  You created it, you obviously want to see how the forum can make it work!

Here is how I want you to vote.  List them from your number one favorite to your fifth favorite.  Give a short explanation of why you like the list and want to explore it in TDG 3.

Example.
#1.  Your favorite army.    I like this the best because...
#2.  Next favorite.  Why you like it...
#3.  Third favorite.  Why you like it...
#4.  Fourth favorite.  Why you like it...
#5.  Last favorite.  Why you like it...

Once the voting slows down, I will tally them up.  Even if you didn't submit a list, get in and vote!  No teams for this TDG so anyone can post a vote at any time.

:::cheers:::
HHG
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 11:39:02 AM »
#1 - Double Griffon.  Two griffons is better than one.  Potentially a very strong list, but risky to mobile opponents.  Plus, I like the idea of massive units of troops.

#2 - Upside Down, Sideways.  Good balanced list without a steam tank.

#3 - Crusading Army of Sigmar.  Last TDG changed my opinion on Beasts and Heavens, I'd like to see how Fire plays out.

#4 - Griffony, Griffon of Griffoness.  Gunline?  GUNLINE!  Plus: Lore of Metal.

#5 - Faith, Steel, and Gunpower.  A nasty list, but someone had to be #5.

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2012, 11:45:39 AM »
#1 Talabheim 6th  - My list and I'd like to see how others would use it.
#2 Upside Down   - Haven't used a captasus since the new book came out and i'd like to see if he still works. Also heavens, I don't use it.
#3 Hold the line    - I have to admit I love halberds.  It would be interesting to maneuver something to big.
#4 Mid Manly Men - Lot's of drops is fun in deployment.  It seems like an army that could in or lose in deployment.
#5 Faith, Steel and G - Lot's of guns is lot's of fun.
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2012, 12:08:31 PM »
1.  Mid Manly Men.  All the toys.
2.  Double Griffon.  Who needs shooting?
3.  Faith, Gunpowder, & Steel.  Take the good stuff and double it!
4.  Upside Down.  Let's see the Peg BSB.
5.  Crusader Army.  Fire FTW.
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2012, 12:18:47 PM »
1: Army of Sigmar; - I think it would be an interesting challenge
2: Upside Down; - Lore of Heavens looks interesting, I don't use it that much.
3: G3; - mainly to see if the artillery park will work, Also I am interested in the lore of metal as it is one of the fezer used lore.
4: Double Griff; - Mainly because it looks like it could pose the same challenges as the crusading army of Sigmar

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2012, 12:41:58 PM »
#1.  Upside Down, Sideways - To prove we can win without Stanks, Demis and Master Engineers. Also using Free Company  ::heretic::
#2.  Crusading Army of Sigmar - Similar challenge to the above but with added fluff.
#3.  Griffony Griffon of Griffonyness - Interested in seeing how the shooting overload goes.
#4.  Double Griff - No Steam Tank and the double formation looks interesting.
#5.  Shadow Griff - Shadow and an extra wizard will be something a little different. Also Flagellants to get in on the normally unused units theme.

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2012, 12:43:52 PM »
4.  Upside Down.  Let's see the Peg BSB.

Upside down was a Tank Pegasus with re-rollable 1+. Fandir's King of Pain list had the BSB Pegasus.

Offline Dnic

• Members
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2012, 12:56:09 PM »
#1. Aldorf Elite - The best
#2. Griffony Griffon of Griffonyness - Wicth hunter, pistoliers, sound interresting
#3. The Talabheim 6th - Inverted Griffon Formation and the Outriders.
#4. The Crusading Army of Sigmar - FIRE!  ::heretic::
#5. Middenheim's Manly Men - have never seen captasus be uset.

Offline librisrouge

• Members
  • Also, Metal is Best
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2012, 03:19:45 PM »
#1 - G3 - Misdirection and heavy firepower. Makes for a great game if you want to frustrate you enemy.
#2 - Hold the Line! - That is a fair bit of men so it would be an interesting game of getting in the enemies face.
#3 - King of Pain - Captasus and plenty of diverters with a solid choppy combat block, plus a lore other than beasts or heavens.
#4 - Middenheim's Manly Men - A cav heavy combat army with plenty of support.
#5 - Atldorf Elite - It's got lore of heavens but that is forgiven by the balance of it all.
Much like Communism, a level three wizard is a waste of everyone's time and will, in due course, fail miserably.

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2012, 03:35:09 PM »
1. Faith, Steel, and Gunpowder - I wrote it, after all. :icon_lol:
2. The Lost (and Found) Crusade - As some others have noted, I haven't seen a Captasus in action, so that would be cool.
3. Shadow of the Griffon - Pretty similar to my list, but with some intriguing variations that would be nice to see tested.
4. Hold the Line! - It has a double Griffon Formation and Demigryph Knights, so it sounds intriguing.
5. Double winged king of Pain - Because Luthor Huss usage should be encouraged.

Offline grifter

• Members
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2012, 03:54:51 PM »
1. Lost (and found) Crusade. Duh. I love Witchhunters, I love Captasi, I love huge blobs of infantry. I want to see my list in action. (it´s not gonna happen, looking over the votes so far, but whatever, I´ll still vote for it at least  :laugh:).
2. Hold the Line! Pretty similar to my list, so...yeah.
3. Griffony Griffon. Gunline-y fun. Why not? Also has a Witchhunter, even if one really isn´t enough.  :-P
4. Crusading Army of Sigmar. Unusual list. Sure, lets try it out. Also has a Witchhunter...I mean, what are we going to do with our witches without this guy?
5. Double Griffon. Seems like a fun list.

Offline Calisson

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • From Druchii.net
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2012, 04:26:56 PM »
Thanks for allowing non-designers to vote.

#1: Upside Down, Sideways
#2: Middenheim's Manly Men
#3: Talabheim 6
#4: Altdorf Elite
#5: Shadow of the Griffon

Rationale: I'd rather like to see in action my favourite ones:
Heavens, WH, the inverted griffon, heavy cavalry, Demis, pistoliers, hurri, STank, cannon, HBVG.
These lists field most of the above.

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2012, 04:42:34 PM »
1.  Middenheim's Manly Men  -  I wrote it, seems like fun.
2.  Faith, Steel, Gunpowder  -  Lots o' BOOM!  Seems like fun.
3.  Double Griff  -  Lots o' carts!  Seems like fun.
4.  Shadow Griff  -  Lots o' wizards!  Seems like fun.
5.  Hold the Line!  -  Lots o' toys!  Seems like fun.

Offline zakalwe

• Members
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2012, 05:10:28 PM »
well its again a rather hard choice.

#1. mine own, shadow griff.  I do want to see shadow magic in action. (though i think i would swap the cannon for a mortar)
#2. Double griff.  I often play mass infantry, but have never with the griff formation. I also like the Wagon support
#3. Upside down, sideways.  This is close to lists i have fielded at home, interesting to see how people play it.
#4. Crusading sigmarites.  call me a pyro but i love fire wiz lords. Hunstman have always been a useful unit too.
#5. Manly men of manliness. They are manly, many have facial hair so don't need LD9. Interesting to play with i think.

Also i am playing a game tonight, wondering about trying a griff formation for real. And a horde of flagellants.

Offline Windelov

• Members
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »
Though choice, great lists, and I think I want to play everyone of them :eusa_clap:

#1 : Hold the Line - No Stubborn units, but lots of men= lots of steadfast. Let's get that new Steadfast transfer of ranks to detachment rule going! It's a challenge, but that's what TDGs are all about  :::cheers::: 
#2 : 3G - I would hate playing against this, and therefor will never dare bringing such a list to my gaming group = TDG perfect place to try it ;o)
#3 : Faith Steel and Gunpowder - This is one of the really mean lists, HHG really has to put together something magical if he is to defeat us using this list.
#4 : Shadow Grif - I almost never bring two wizards in game, two myasmas's (shadow sig spell) can be brutal 
#5 : Double Grif - Somewhat similar to my own list, and thus a great challenge and great fun  :icon_smile:,

The other lists are all quite competitive and I'm sure they would fare well, especially the King of Pain, Altdorfs and 3M.

:biggriin:

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 08:04:48 AM by Windelov »

Offline Wojownik

• Members
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2012, 09:33:14 AM »
I'd like to see more Demis at work.
My choices:

#1 Hold the line - for  sTank + Demis + lots of wound, and above all for minimizing magic items - love this apprach, reminds me of old TVI style
#2 Shadow Griff - for sTank + Demis
#3 Mid Manly Man
#4 Faith Steel
#5 Double Griff
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 12:51:35 PM by Wojownik »
Sir, next time I'm in the pub, I'll drink my whiskey in honor of you.