home

Author Topic: 3000 point Ig army, facing chaos and tyranids  (Read 1339 times)

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
3000 point Ig army, facing chaos and tyranids
« on: February 09, 2013, 04:01:34 AM »
My list:

Command squad
Creed
Medic
Plasma rifle
Standard
Vox caster
2 body guard
Auto cannon chimera

Troop:
Platoon:
Platoon command squad:
Lt.
3 plasma rifle
Vox caster
Auto cannon chimera

1 shock troop- grenade launcher, middle launcher- commissar with power axe
1 shock troop- grenade launcher, middle launcher - sgt with power axe
1 shock troop- grenade launcher, middle launcher

Heavy weapon squad - 3 auto cannons
Heavy weapon squad - 3 laser cannons

Special weapon squad - 3 flamers
Chimera - 2 heavy flamers - dozer blades
Special weapon squad - 3 flamers
Chimera - 2 heavy flamers - dozer blades

Veteran squad- 3 plasma rifles, power sword grenidiers (vendetta)

Heavy

2 basilisk
1 basilisk
1 leman Russ - heavy bolster sponsons, laser cannon hull
1 leman Russ executioner - plasma cannon sponsons, heavy bolter hull

Fast
3 sentinels - armored, 3 plasma cannons
1 vendetta

Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
Re: 3000 point Ig army, facing chaos and tyranids
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 03:22:18 AM »
The game went well.  I won but lost tons of models.  The other side saw at least 100 infantry killed.  I lost five vehicles and at least 20 infantry.  Super bloody.

Game was crusade and I snagged two objectives while wiping out the cultists left to old his.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 03:37:15 AM »
5 vehicles? Woah. Do they seem flimsier in 6th? I don't have any vehicles in my army and the only one of my friends who field any is dark eldar and those are like paper airplanes so I wouldn't know.
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 04:22:07 AM »
Heavy vehicles are actually tougher in my opinion because so many people are going infantry/plasma heavy and leaving the melta at home. No melta means your Land Raiders don't give a rat's arse about 90% of enemy shooting. Takes a lot of Lascannons to take one down.

Really depends on your local metagame. In a recent tournament I played 8 games with my drop pod marines, and I faced 2 CSM foot lists, a SW foot list, SM bike/Tau list with no vehicles, Eldar foot list (lol), Tau with 2 heavy vehicles, 2 transports and 2 markerlight vehicles, GK/IG with 2 Dreadknights and some Rhinos with allied Manticore, and an SM list with 2 Contemptor Mortis dreads (ouch). So not much by way of vehicles at all, 4 armies had 0 AV models, 1 had only monstrous creatures (Eldar), 1 with only 1 medium tank and 2 MC, 1 with 2 Walkers and 1 with real vehicles (that I podded down next to and melta'd). My long range anti tank was very inefficient with almost nothing to shoot at. Most opponents could not have responded to a Land Raider at all. Without mobility a Leman Russ may as well be a Land Raider almost, if you're shooting at the front.

Sounds like a fun game Phil.

Offline Paladin Commander

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 02:19:03 AM »
Last time I played my choas marine mate I took out his Land raider with one shot from a lascannon. I still run a significant number of melta though.

With the HP rules and glancing removing hull points I'd say Vehicles are weaker, esp. against Necrons. I took a landraider against our Necron player and it died in one turn due to glancing (4 6s to glance =dead landraider) and my Ironclad dread in the same turn (3 6s). The new rules really benefit Necrons.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 02:53:38 AM »
Yeah, it can happen, but it always could before too. A lascannon has exactly the same chance of killing a LR in a single shot as last edition. Still unlikely.

Agreed on necrons though. Gauss is pretty much broken now.

Offline Quickbeam

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 02:58:56 AM »
Yeah, it can happen, but it always could before too. A lascannon has exactly the same chance of killing a LR in a single shot as last edition. Still unlikely.

Agreed on necrons though. Gauss is pretty much broken now.
It was pretty broken before too. Even more now though. There is a reason I never take vehicles! When I first started playing I would let my friend use my necrons and he would just maul my stuff under weight of shots to I just never bothered to get any more. I have 1 vindicator sitting in a box somewhere...........
“An army of principles will penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot.”
― Thomas Paine

Offline Paladin Commander

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 07:53:27 AM »
Yes I used to take several rhinos and a tank or two in my marine force, now against Necrons I don't bother. I also don't know about the new rules since I tried to read our necron players codex but gave up because they kept telling me what the rules were. I now take A jump pack chaplain with assault marines cause vehicles just die and Necrons tend to win fire fights. I had a two on two game with a mate and his friends ( marines all round) and everyone else was running Dreadnoughts and various vehicles and my assault marines just fell over and died. I have learnt to take plasma weapons now and have 2 tactical squads kitted out with plasma pistol and gun (and heavy bolter cause I didn't have the points). I also have 2 squads with meltagun/multimelta power sword/meltabomb and 2 with flamer missile launcher, powerfist