home

Author Topic: Empire on a Grand Scale  (Read 12646 times)

Offline commandant

• Members
Empire on a Grand Scale
« on: April 15, 2013, 09:29:39 PM »
I have an idea and I wonder what you think of it.   It would mean it'd need to learn how to use the battle chronicler but that should be okay.   All of our TDGs have been at reasonable point levels.   I suggest that we run one with 7000-10000 points on each side.

If this finds favour with you I suggest the following rules;
  • A General is appointed for each side.   The General submits his orders for the side.   The support staff [the rest of the thread] can advise but the general's choices will be final.
  • A Larger map is used due to the size of the battle.
  • Due to the large area cover the winds of magic will blow at 3d6 instead of 2d6 [with the defender receiving the highest two for DD].   Though this would be stronger than a normal game it would mean that magic would need to be planned carefully.
  • An Empire list could be chosen and your choice of foe to face [though I could write an Empire of Wolves list]
  • A dice log could be used.

Your thoughts?

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
Re: Empire on a Grand Scale
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 10:43:38 PM »
Who's going to want to run it? A 2500 point game is plenty of work as it is. Or would you propose 3-man teams, each playing a game, with a total tally that would determine the winning side?

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 09:44:09 AM »
I would run the maps and things.   I can even play one of the sides if need be, though I would prefer not to.   What I would purpose is that each side has a thread.   That they get to discuss their moves for a week or maybe two and then the General submits a move order.   He does not have to choose the moves approved by his support staff [though often that would be best.]

I think that the scale of the thing would make everything more interesting.   Not least because a 500 point unit could be fired off as a distraction.

For who wins I think that VPs could be used, though we could look at other ways of deciding as well.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 11:19:45 AM »
If you're willing to administer it, I doubt you would find a shortage of willing participants.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 12:16:10 PM »
I am very willing to administer it.   Maybe after the current one that is being run.   Suggestions as to the foes are welcome.

Offline rothgar13

• Members
  • Steam Tank Engineer
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 05:42:42 PM »
If you want it maximum cinematic value, I propose Empire vs. one of the 4 Chaos armies (Beastmen, Chaos Dwarfs, Daemons of Chaos, Warriors of Chaos), though maybe Skaven or O&G could be nice too.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 05:45:11 PM »
O&G vs. Empire is classic Fantasy, if a little cliche.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 06:57:38 PM »
O&G would be nice if a little crazy.   Also we could consider using the empire of wolves list or a T & G list.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 10:46:29 AM »
If people want to purpose a few lists we could start the ball rolling on this.   I think 7000 points should be a start, no SC

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 01:44:30 PM »
First thing I learned: 7000 is a lot of points.  But here's a list to start things off.  There's probably a lot of tweaking we can do, but I think it's a decent start.

Lords

Grand Master 259
- Runefang, OTS, Shield

Arch Lector on War Altar 349
- Armor of Destiny, VHS, Shield

Level 4 Wizard (Light) 200

Level 4 Wizard (Shadow) 225
- Dispel Scroll

Heros

Captain on Foot 96
- FPA, Enchanted Shield, BSB

Captain on foot 78
- FPA, shield, Dragonhelm

Captasus 113 x3
- FPA, shield

Warrior Priest 72 x2
- Heavy Armor, GW

Master Engineer 65 x4

Core

60 Halberds + FC 390 x2

10 Archers 105 x2
- 5 Archer Detachment

39 ICK + command 1020
- Banner of Discipline

Special

4 Demigryphs 242 x4
- Musician

Cannon 120 x4

5 Pistoliers 90 x4

Rare

Hellblaster Volley Gun 120 x4

Hurricanum 130

Luminark 120

Steam tank 250 x2

=6998

Open to suggestions for improvements.  The warrior priests are there for redundancy.

I propose three captains:

Captain 1 manages the main battleline:  ICK, halberds, war altar.

Captain 2 manages the support: Archers, Demigryphs, Pistoliers, Captasi, and Wizards

Captain 3 manages the artillery: Hellblasters, Cannons, Tanks, Luminark and Hurricanum.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 01:51:19 PM by zifnab0 »

Offline gray_death01

• Members
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 01:36:29 AM »
Wow, this looks ambitious...I will have to break out my book again and crank out an army. Just one question...are we leaving special characters out? or are they allowed?

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 12:15:32 PM »
We are leaving them out.   We also need to decide whom we will be fighting against.

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 10:32:40 PM »
You planning on using Battle Chronicler?  What size "table"?  These armies are massive....!
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 02:05:15 PM »
If I can figure out how to use it otherwise I will draw out the maps to scale.   I was thinking of a 10 foot by 6 foot table.

Massive is kinda the plan :)

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 09:56:03 PM »
If I can figure out how to use it otherwise I will draw out the maps to scale.   I was thinking of a 10 foot by 6 foot table.

Massive is kinda the plan :)

Once you play around with BC it isn't that hard to use. 

In the game details menu when you start a new battle you can adjust the size of the table and put the armies in.  Adding all the units of a battle that big is going to be the most labor intensive part.

If you need assistance in getting the BC battle started/set up I can help you with that.    We could email the file back and forth.  Whatever you need.

I think we should get some more people to post Empire armies. 

Also-  I think that O&G on that big of scale would be difficult for your first BC adventure-  random movers and a bunch of scattering templates can get tedious real fast!  Elite armies like Chaos or HE would be tough fights-  and field less units on the "table" as well.

:::cheers:::
HHG
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

Offline SevenSins

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 10:26:55 PM »
Like HHG said, o&g can make a mess all by themselves  :icon_mrgreen: but they have, like the empire, a fascinating variation in troops being able to bring both extremely smashy units, fast flankers, chariots, warmachines etc as well as potentially devastating magic.... Foot anyone?

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 12:04:06 PM »
I don't mind that though.   I will have plenty of free time soon enough.

Offline Forumite

• Members
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 04:25:06 PM »
IŽd like to see the Empire face an enormous army of Skaven instead of Orcs.

• Members
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 09:04:21 PM »
IŽd like to see the Empire face an enormous army of Skaven instead of Orcs.

Holy cow-  imagine how many 100-strong rat blocks they could put down with that many points....you wouldn't put a dent in them in 12 turns, let alone 6!

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 09:20:17 PM »
Unless you got them all to run away.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 05:40:56 PM »
Any further lists for this idea around?

• Members
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 06:11:17 PM »
I can generate some more interest and lists by getting the TEG/TDG faithful involved.

Let me get through the next upcoming TEG6 with Empire & Lizzies and we can put this one on the schedule.

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2013, 06:11:50 PM »
First of all, great idea. I will enjoy watching the game and the discussion (i am too new to play).

Between BC and real game? I would love to see a real table, but BC gives a better tactical view.

DISCLAIMER: I may not have understand how exactly it will be run.
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 11:49:52 AM »
Bump bump bump.

As the TDG is drawing to a close I thought I would cast this hat into the ring again.   

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2013, 01:57:25 PM »
This sounds fun...

A few ideas having read this through.

This sounds like a 'fun' game. It seems like it might benefit from being thought of in that way. Like rather than spend a whold week trying to tweak an army to perfection, run with what feels good. Eg. A lot of people avoid griffons and the like because they are scared to put such an expensive killable unit out there. What better time to shove one in? Why not have a bit of all the state troops etc. A game can still be played out very tactically without using 'uber' lists.

People seem to be veering towards chaos as the opponent... What about a split force of warriors and beasts? Demons have all sorts of their own weird rules going on these days but beasts and warriors could gel nicely and be a fun throwback to all the old chaos players who had joint armies. Just a thought anyways.
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic.