home

Author Topic: Doubles game Empire/H Elves vs Khorne (plus my revenge!)  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Nikali

• Members
Doubles game Empire/H Elves vs Khorne (plus my revenge!)
« on: May 15, 2013, 08:19:56 PM »
Hi all,

Played a big doubles game on Monday night; 2000 points each, 4000 points per side. My Empire with High Elves against Chaos Warriors and Daemons in a grudge match of good versus evil....

Hero's call to arms, the safety of the empire is at stake and legends will be made

We only had 5 hours to play including set up, so decided to stick with a simple pitched battle. I'll start with my own list, which is a variation on my heavy armour (now with added steam tank!)...

Arch Lector with Hv Arm, Enchanted Shield, Talisman of Preservation and Van Horstmann's
Luthor Huss
Captain BSB with Full plate, Charmed Shield and Biting Blade
Lvl 2 Wizard, Lore of light with Dispel Scroll

9 IC Knights with Greatswords, Full Command and Gleaming Penant (+Luthor Huss)
5 Vanilla Knights with Lances and Musician
5 Vanilla Knights with Lances and Musician
28 Greatswords with Full Command (Arch Lector + Captain BSB)
5 Archers (Wizard)
3 Demi-gryph Knights
Steam Tank
Cannon

Now my High Elf team mate, obviously I didn't pick this and I don't think it's particularly tough (too many over priced sea guard!)

Lvl 3 Archmage, Lore of Metal, Staff of Sorcery (ignore miscast?)
Highborn Noble with BSB and Armour Piercing banner

20 Swordmasters with Full Command
20 White Lions with Full Command
20 Seaguard with Full Command (Mage + Noble BSB)
20 Seaguard
5 Shadow Warriors
5 Shadow Warriors
Eagle
Eagle

Our opponents decided to avoid too much chaos god randomness by taking pure Khorne! Ouch that's a lot of frenzy!

Bloodthirster with D3 extra WS,S,T,A,I weapon
40 Bloodletters with Full Command
3 Skull Crushers
9 Hounds of Khorne with Karanak
8 Furies of Khorne

Daemon Prince with Wings
Exalted Champion on Daemonic Mount
9 Chaos Knights - Mark of Khorne
10 Chaos Knights - Mark of Khorne
3x Chariots with Mark of Khorne
5 Mounted Marauders - Mark of Khorne!
4x 5 Hounds of Chaos

Our vague battle plan was infantry centre in the widest open space, leaving cavalry to take either flank. So pretty basic! After vanguard, the deployment looked like this:

We rolled first turn, so at least we get an extra turn to reduce their numbers.

Nick
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 07:57:57 AM by Nikali »

Offline Nikali

• Members
Re: Doubles game Empire/H Elves vs Khorne!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 10:35:12 PM »
Turn 1: The Noble Alliance!

As you might expect, not much movement from our side on turn one. Eagles moved up to block some Hounds and the Steam Tank moved forward to take aim at Skull Crushers + Knights1.

With a level 3, a level 2 and two Priests we were hopefully of magic dominance. Clearly the god of blood had other ideas.. lousy dice pool and everything dispelled. Shooting was better, my steam tank overshot the Skull Crushers bu (t killed the Exalted hero! The combined seaguard bows managed to down a unit of hounds but the Shadow Warriors didn't perform.

Turn 1: Khorne Uglies

Both Eagles were charged by units of Hounds, as where the Shadow Warriors. Everything else marched or flapped forwards and both his juicy big targets kept well clear of my cannons.

The first Eagle lost a wound and fled from combat, flying over my Knights who panic and turn tail... not a great start. His hounds clip the Shadow Warriors who now have to face 10 blood crazed puppies. They prove up to the challenge.

The second Eagle does better, kills one and sticks in combat

Turn 2: Noble Alliance

Eagle and Knights1 rally and reform, Steam tank generates 5 steam points for maximum options.

My Demi-gryphs are a bit out on a limb, but his Marauders present a juicy target and possible over-run into Knights (or nasty counter charge?) Marauders flee, so I restrain and wheel slightly to center. Meanwhile my 2nd Knights unit charges the Hounds of Khorne - these guys are tough and I don't expect to win but should them up and road block the Knights behind.

Now I made my big mistake of the game. I slightly misunderstood the steam tank rules, though I needed to keep points for grinding so only used 1 to move (needing 3" to hit the Furies). I roll 2 and come up short... bugger! Send the engineer back to Nuln for further training.

We rolled okay for magic, and threw 6 dice at Final Transmutation on the Bloodletters. No irresistible but it still gets through and things are looking good, 12 out of 40 5+'s.... they promptly roll 12 4+'s saves! Damn. I get 5+ ward on the Greatswords who are just in range of his cocky Bloodletters.

My steam gun can't quite reach the Skull Crushers but kills a Fury. The Steam cannon knocks two wounds off the chariot whilst the standard cannon missfires. Combined fire from Seaguard and the 2nd Shadow Warriors unit takes out a few Bloodletters but his ward save's keep coming.

The Shadow Warriors show their skill and see off his Chaos hounds. My ally decides to restrain and keep position (probably not what I would have done). The 2nd Eagle + Hound combat remains at stale mate. Karanak chews up a knight but then rubber lance syndrome strikes... 4x 2's to hit! My armour save keeps me in the fight but that was disappointing.

Not looking too bad at this point, but wishing I'd tied up the Furies on my left flank, expecting them to cause mischief!

Turn 2: Khorne Uglies

Marauders rally, as do both hound units. The Furies jump over my Steam Tank and charge the cannon... damn it! Skull Crushers don't fancy hitting the tank, so sneak past into the Eagle and a route to our back field. On the right flank the Bloodthirster charges my knights which was pretty frustrating because he should have been out of range. Bloodletters don't reach my Greatswords.

Both their Knights units reform towards the center, whilst the daemon prince hides (cowardly khorne!)

The Furies and Skull Crusher combats were predictable... first blood for the Khorne gods. Skull Crushers over-run into my Knights.

Bloodthirster / IC Knights was depressing! First I only rolled 1 for Chosen of Sigmar, whilst he rolls 3 for the Daemon equivilent (not sure what it's called). He smashes up 5 Knights and I fail to make an impression. Thunderstomp kills another and then he runs me down (right off the table). Ouch!  ::heretic::

Turn 3: Noble Alliance

That's one fine mess! Time to take affirmative action... Greatswords and Swordmasters charge the Bloodletters, both making the distance with ease. Demi-gryphs have another go for the Marauders who pull the same stunt, I restrain and reform towards the Skull Crushers. The Steam Tank use 3 steam to ram a chariot a full speed... not getting that wrong again!

Magic is really poor; the High Elf mage tried Golden Hounds on the 2nd chariot which was dispelled, as was Shield of Faith on my Greatswords. All I got was Hammer of Sigmar.

The Shadow Warriors finish off a unit of hounds but the 2nd remains. Combined shooting from the Seaguard takes two wounds off the chariot.

The steam tank impact is impressive... 11 hits leaves him in splinters! My Knights loose another man to the Hounds of Khorne but stay put, still doing their job. The Swordmasters do an impressive job of slicing up Bloodletters... 9 die. He picks on my Greatswords a bit but my armour saves are okay and I only 9 (plus 4 swordmasters). Finally despite some awful rolls to hit I kill 6 more (greatswords make 20 attacks, 4+ with re-roll... 8 hits  :icon_sad:). He rolls okay for daemonic instability, so only a few more vanish.

... okay half way through time for bed!

Nick

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 04:45:56 AM »
First thanks for the report I really like them done with visuals so you can understand better what was going on. Then some tips so the demons wonīt cheat next game.

You donīt get ward saves vs Final Transformation...nope not even Khorne demons.

Also no Thunderstomp vs knights only against Infantry.

Also I am not sure what the white lions are doing??? Guarding the camp? Overall the High Elf seems content to sacrifice humans to delay the demons and to preserve Elvish life while doing so.

What do you mean with restraining with the Demigryphons if you charge and he flees it is a failed charge and you move directly after the enemy fleeing if you make a leadership test you can choose another target.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 05:01:30 AM by Fandir Nightshade »

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 05:27:16 AM »
Overall the High Elf seems content to sacrifice humans to delay the demons and to preserve Elvish life while doing so.

That seems exactly what HE do when you read the fluff in the new AB.
My hood is my castle...

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 05:29:24 AM »
Which I think is smart and also justified as without them the whole planet is doooooooooooomed!

:biggriin:

Uhhh I like my High Elves.

(finally got the book and darn it is nice).

Offline Nikali

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 07:23:45 AM »
Damn it, I really thought I got all the rules right this time!  :icon_rolleyes:

Ah yes look... 'no saves of any kind!' so should have been 12 less Bloodletters to deal with. No thunderstomp wouldn't have made any difference, I was still doomed!

I think the white lions didn't charge because the chariot was actual further back... 17" I think?

I don't blame them for hiding, they are pretty squishy! Oh and by the way we were using the old High Elf book, his copy hasn't arrived yet.

Nick

Offline SorenJ

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
I don't quite follow your use of eagle chaff. Normally you elect flee, leaving the enemy with a failed charge. In addition you set them up facing left or right, so that the enemy must wheel when charging, leaving them in an odd position facing away from the rest of your army.

What you did actually aided Khorne, as he was able to make a charge move in first round and possibly overrun.

Offline Nikali

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 06:51:16 PM »
I agree, the deployment and 1st turn movement of our eagles wasn't great. Anyway, time for part 2...

Turn 3: Khorne Uglies:

Quite a few charges; Furies support the Skull Crushers, remaining Hounds back into the Shadow Warriors, Chariot aims for the Seaguards with Noble + Archmage (more to gain and lower strength hits back), last Chariot into the side of the Eagle (hoping for over-run into my knights).

Otherwise the Bloodthirster comes back on and parks behind the elf lines... eeek. Daemon prince lines himself up for a breath weapon attack and knights move up.

The Daemon Prince sprays fiery death all over the White Lions, killing 4 (we couldn't decide if lion cloak applied in this situation?)

We start with peripheral combat; Skull Crushers massacre my Knights and reform to face the Demi-gryphs. Shadow Warriors kill off the remaining Hounds, Chariot / Hounds combo finishes off the eagle but the chariot doesn't reach my Knights (it was in line despite what the map suggests). Knights loose another model but continue to hold out. The Chariot impact hits and halberds pulp 2 ranks of Seaguard, who only manage a wound in reply. They run, but not off the board and aren't caught (we do loose BSB and standard). Now on to the great weapon wielding bonanza...

The Swordmasters do their thing, chopping up another 8. We loose a few models each in return but then my Greatswords go to work... killing 8 (so better than last time despite no hatred!). He looses the last models from instability and we reform. The Swordmasters turn to deal with his Daemon Prince, I turn to charge the flank of the Chaos Knights on the right.

Turn 4: Noble Alliance

All of a sudden, things look a bit better... something to do with slicing up 40 Bloodletters! Plus the Seaguard unit rallies to stay in the fight.

My Greatswords plow into the flank of the Chaos Knights, Swordmaster hit the rear of the Daemon Prince. I tried a long range charge with the Demi-gryphs but rolled short. Finally the steam tank pivots and uses 3 steam points to smash the rear of the other Knights unit

My wizard drops out of the Archer unit and skulks behind (close enough so Furies can't fit in to charge). Shadow Warriors move back through the wood. Magic is a complete failure, banishment fails to make any impression on the bloodthirster (did need 6's to wound). Shooting isn't much better, combined bow shots kills two Furies.

We start combat with the steam tank 11 impact hits translate to 9 wounds... looking good but he saves all but 1! He fails to wound in return and then runs from combat. Turns out the Daemon Prince has Sword of Swift Slaying which negates Swordmasters ASF, so he kills two swordmasters before taking a wound in return. With ranks, standard and charge we draw, win with musician but he doesn't loose anymore wounds. The Hounds of Khorne finally crush my last knight and reform towards the centre.

Finally we do the Greatsword combat and something goes our way. He only kills 2 Greatswords and I kill 4 in reply; this plus 2 standards, charge and flank wins me combat. He runs but not far enough, I catch and bounce over the 1st house.

Turn 4: Khorne Uglies

The last turn swung things slightly but it's not looking good for the High Elf center.

White Lions take multiple charges from Bloodthirster, Chariot and Hounds of Khorne. Skull Crushers charge my Demi-gryphs, whilst Marauders charge the Steam Tank. 2nd Chariot charges the depleted Seaguard unit again and the last two Hounds charge the bigger unit (just hoping to tie them down). Furies jump over my Archers and support the Daemon Prince.

I'm lucky with the DGK combat - he only kills one and I wipe them out in return  :eusa_clap:. Maruaders fail to hurt the tank but hold it in place. Three more Swordmasters fall to the Daemon Prince. The remainder concentrate on Furies, killing three plus wounding the Daemon. Instability wipes out the remaining Furies but not quite the Daemon Prince. The White Lions kill 2 Hounds of Khorne but get annihilated in return. The hounds are no match for the bigger Seaguard unit but the 2nd Chariot finishes off the depleted Seaguards.

Turn 5: Noble Alliance

It's looking pretty grim for the High elves and most of my units are to too far of to help. For some reason I decided I needed 5 steam points, promptly rolled a missfire and then a 6... kaboom! The resulting explosion kills 2 marauders who panic and run. It also clips the 1st Shadow Warrior unit and clearly these guys take the brunt of the blast... all five die! whoops

To make up for it, I charge the Demi-gryphs into the running Marauders (yes I know that doesn't really work, but we decided it could happen). The last Seaguard unit charged the closet chariot, aiming to avoid impact hits. Greatswords wheel towards combat.

Magic is once again useless... clearly the Khorne was offering divine protection to his subjects in return for all that blood!

The Seaguard did a good job against the chariot, taking revenge for their colleagues. They overrun into the bloodthirster, which is a a daunting prospect. Swordmasters loose a few more to the Daemon Prince but cling on for now.

Turn 5: Khorne Uglies

Chaos are looking to finish us off; Chaos knights charge the rear of the Swordmasters and Hounds of Khorne charge my Greatswords.

We start with the Seaguard, who actual manage a wound. They loose a few in return but with ranks, standard, charge and flank they win combat. We have a brief vision of the bloodthirster vanishing but no such luck! The combined might of Daemon prince and Chaos Knights smashes the Swordmasters to smithereens. Meanwhile my Arch Lector declares a challenge, which Karanak has to accept despite them guessing I have Van Horstman's (he reformed to single rank). The extra attacks helps me take two wounds off and my Greatswords do another two. But he kills 3 in return and I only win by 4, not enough to wipe them out from instability.

At this point it was 11.50, I was pretty sure my Greatswords could finish off the Chaos hounds but with two flying Daemons to support them I was fairly doomed. We conceded and that ends my winning streak  :cry:

Hope you enjoyed

Nick

Offline Nikali

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 07:05:35 PM »
Okay so that was a bloody affair, always is with Chaos! Big games are interesting and I really enjoyed the four player format, very social.

Star player for me was definitely the Greatswords, who continue to perform. Impressed with the Demi-gryphs who simply outclassed his Skullcrushers and I can see the potential in the Steam Tank (just need to learn how to play it!). Magic was pretty poor, it's difficult to form a proper plan in an allies game. Most disappointing was the IC Knight / Luthor Huss block, but they were unlucky.

I'd be interested to know what you'd do differently? (Bear in mind I wasn't controlling the high elves). Personally I think cocking up the Steam Tank / Furies charge messed up my left flank. Also think the cannon should have been on our right flank so their daemons couldn't hide so easily.

Nick

Offline Analog Control

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 10:00:02 PM »
Steam Tank Engineering 101: 

1)  Never, and I mean never, go for 5 steam points.  It's a big risk for little gain since you are limited to using 3 steam points on any single function (i.e. movement, cannon, steam gun).  First turn I typically use 2 points to move and 2 points to shoot the cannon.

2)  Steam points are generated at the beginning of your turn before declaring charges.  If you do generate 5 steam points and blow up you resolve damage to the surrounding units immediately.  Any units who panic and flee can then be legally charged and forced to flee again or are destroyed if caught.

Offline Nikali

• Members
Re: 2.5k Empire vs Chaos Warriors
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 07:56:34 AM »
Time to get some pay back on those nasty Chaos cronies. My collections grown a bit so it's up to 2500pts of my Empire vs Chaos Warriors,

My list will look fairly familiar:

Arch Lector with Hv Armour, Shield, Talisman of Endurance, Biting Blade and Van Horstmann's Speculum
Wizard Lord, lvl 4 light with Dispel Scroll

Luthor Huss
Captain on Pegasus with Full Plate, Charmed Shield and Shrieking Blade
Captain BSB with Full plate and Enchanted Shield
Engineer

9 IC Knights with Great Weapons and Full Command (+Luthor)
5 Vanilla knights with Lances
5 Vanilla Knights with Lances
10 Handgunners
2x 5 Archer Detachments

28 Greatswords with Full Command (+ Arch Lector and BSB)
3 Demi-gryphs
Great Cannon
Steam Tank
Hellblaster Volleygun

He has a lot of models, so you never know what to expect (apart from lots of Chaos dog chaff!). List looked like this;

Daemon Prince of Nurgle with wings, breath weapon, 1+/5++ and Biting blade + lvl 1
5 Knights of Slannesh with Lvl 2 Wizard
5 Knights of Tzeentch with Lvl 2 Wizard (+extra spell items and channel 5+ item)
5 Marauder horsemen with Flails + Javelins
2x Chimera's
4x 5 Chaos dogs
2x Khorne Chariots

Doesn't seem like a lot for 2.5k but then Chaos Knights are really expensive and that's 400+ points of Daemon Prince!

Spell's I took: Burning Gaze, Pha's Protection, Speed of Light + Birona's Timewarp
He Took: Nurgle signature (breath / toughness test), Slannesh signature + Acquiescence, Searing Doom, Golden Hounds + can't remember!

We roll meeting engagement and he picks corner and sets up first (don't like this scenario, makes deployment tougher). His Daemon Prince, the Slannesh wizard and 1 Chariot stay back in reserve.

Deployment after his vanguard move looks like this...

The terrain on the top right was a ditch line with narrow gap - counting as difficult terrain. Personally I think he set up too far back, basically because of the Hellblaster treat (already made it's point back then!). Very vaguely I planned to block the right flank with Greatswords, hold the middle with Stank + IC Knights and hopefully smash his weaker left flank with the Demi's. Greatswords waking up late was a bit annoying but not a problem (Arch Lector and BSB hid behind the Steam Tank at deployment).

I didn't steal first turn so it looks like I'll get Doggies up in my face ASAP!

To be continued...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 07:58:35 AM by Nikali »

Offline Nikali

• Members
Re: Doubles game Empire/H Elves vs Khorne (plus my revenge!)
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 09:00:21 PM »
Turn 1: Chaos Motley Crew

All the Chaos reserves moved onto the board. The Slannesh mage joined his escort and the Daemon Prince moved to support the two Chimera's. Looked like my right flank was going to have a bad day! He moved up everything else, using his dog's to tempt my Knight units and Pegi. Tzeentch knights moved up but kept out of Hellblaster range.

He rolled pretty well for magic and started with Searing Doom on my Demi-gryphs with three dice... two six's, this could be interesting. A demi-gryph died but he rolled 3 for the miscast... killing 3 Knights before the Sorcerer gets sucked into the warp. Clearly the fickle Chaos gods didn't approve of a divided army (every mark on the board!). To make things worse the last two knights failed the panic test.

I was feeling pretty confident until my Demi-gryph's failed there own panic test, running to the edge of the board.

Turn 1: Stirland's Finest

Knights 1 have no choice but to charge the Chaos dogs. Whilst the Pegasus opts to jump over the dog unit and take on the Marauder horsemen, long range but makes it easily. Steam Tank generates four steam points and Greatswords enter the field on my right flank.

Now my Demi-gryphs fail to rally and run off the field... cowardly chickens! All of a sudden my left flank is looking pretty sick  :icon_eek:

To help plug the gap on my far left I move the first Archer detachment across. This leaves the Handgunner / Wizard bunker open to charge, so the IC Knights move up to close the gap (more than I showed on the map). Which has the added advantage of opening a lane to Chimera 1 from my Cannon. Steam tank lines up for a shot through the fleeing Knights and into the Chariot. The second archers move up to block the Chaos dogs.

I roll okay for magic and start with boosted Burning Gaze on the 2nd Chariot. On three dice I roll 15+Lvl4 and he lets it go but soon regrets it... dead chariot! He dispels everything else.

Shooting starts with the tank which squashes his last two Knights (afterward we realised he completely forgot the 6+ Ward but don't think it would have mattered). Handgunners and Archers open up on the middle dog unit, killing all but one which miraculously passes it's last man standing! Hellblaster aims for Chaos Dogs 4 and despite rolling a missfire wipes them out. The cannon takes aim at the Chimera .... missfire... kaboom!  :eusa_wall:

In combat the Knights kill four dogs without loss. The last runs and I try to restrain but fail and end up staring at a chariot... oh goody! The pegasus captain fluffs his attacks, only kills one and takes a wound. He passes the break test, hopefully I'll do better next turn.

So far it's been pretty spectacular... lots of very good or very bad rolls. Left flank looks grim but overall I'm on top

Turn 2: Chaos Motley Crew

Chariot charges Knights 1 and Dog's charge Archers 1 as expected - fingers crossed they can hold out. For reference the Daemon Prince couldn't see my Pegi Captain (out of front arc I think).

The Slannesh Knights move up, but stay out of Hellblaster range. The Chimera's and Daemon Prince all decide to play hide and seek... cowering behind buildings! (not very 'chaotic' is it!). The last dog in the middle unit runs in front of my IC Knights.

Personally I think he made a mistake here. This dog, now with narrow frontage could have charged the wizard bunker, which in all likelihood is about to get over run charged!

Magic is uneventful, I dispel everything he casts, so I'll move straight on combat. The Chaos Chariot impact and warrior attacks only kill one of my Knights but the horse kill a second (lethal horses as usual!). I fail to wound in reply, fail my break test and he runs me down, not a great start! The Chaos dogs rip two archer apart, who turn tail and run. The dogs over run into the flank of my Wizard bunker. This all looks pretty grim. The Pegi Captain improves things, killing three Marauders and running down the last (tried to restrain but no luck).

So Chaos are clawing out an advantage on my left flank

Turn 2: Stirland's Finest

He's done a good job of hiding his units, so the only charge is my IC Knights into the lone Chaos hound. The running Archers fail to rally and run a bit further (after the initial break, do they run to my table edge or in a straight line?). Steam Tank generates three steam.

The Hellblaster is out of range so moves up slightly. Steam Tank lines up for the corner of his remaining Knights. My 2nd Knight unit and Greatswords wheel to face threats of Daemon Prince and Chimera's. The Archers shuffle backwards to leave no space for a charge from Daemon Prince on the Knights. The Pegasus flies round behind the Slannesh Knights for rear charge the following turn. I thought about a redirect / blocking move but decided I could take the charge with my IC Knights and keep better board position.

In magic he dispels all my prayers and Timewarp but I get Pha's protection on the Handgunners which is useful (in hind site, Speed of Light would have done the same plus help my own attacks). In shooting the Steam Tank smashes two Knights from their saddles! Hellblaster moved and the Archers just provoke the Daemon Prince with arrows!

Combat with the IC Knights is predictable... dead dog! Combat with the Handgunners goes well, he fails to wound and I kill one so drawn combat.

Definitely looking good for me at the moment, but I foresee multiple breath weapons looming!  :icon_cry:

Turn 3: Chaos Motley Crew

The Slanneshi Knights charge my IC Knights, otherwise he can't see anything to charge. The Chariot rumbles around into my back field which is a bit of a worry (actually he marched, which I forgot isn't allowed). Meanwhile all his winged beasties jumped over the buildings to belch all over me!

My level 4's dominance continues as I dispel all his spells but now he unleashes the breath weapons. The Daemon Prince and Chimera 2 combined kill 2 Hellblaster crew and knock a wound off the Steam tank. The other Chimera hits Several Archers and most of my Knights but fortunately only an Archer dies. Could have been worse but predictably the Hellblaster panics and runs off!

Personally I would have chucked most of this at my Greatswords... ranked up with toughness 3 / 4+ save

We start combat with the Chaos hounds, who manage to kill a handgunner but loose another in return. I loose my rank bank so loose combat but stay put. Now on to the big Knight stand off... I immediately declare Luthor's party trick and roll a 6... this should be good! He goes first and kills three of my Knights but then Luthor kills all three Chaos Knights and the IC Knights take a wound off the Sorcerer. He passes the break test but I'm confident I'll finish him next turn. (Got to say 5 Ws8 Str9 attacks with re-rolls to hit is cool!).

Turn 3: Stirland's Finest

I'm lucky with charge arc's this turn, Archers 2 can see the flank of his Chimera which leaves the Knights to charge his front (correct me if I'm wrong but I can see the models through and over my skirmishers so it's legal?). Meanwhile the Pegasus charges the rear of the Slannesh Sorcerer and Steam Tank generates 3 steam points.

I can't quite decide what to do with the Tank. I suppose cannon ball is more likely to kill outright, but I'm only 5" away so I use one dice to pivot / aim, I might hit him by accident anyway. I decide near guaranteed D6+3D3 impact hits, plus tying up a nasty combat unit is a better prospect (Stank experts... what would you do?). So with a bit of reservation I slam into the Daemon Prince. Greatswords wheel to face the fray

Magic is uneventful, everything gets dispelled (he used up a scroll as the Sorcerer looked doomed). No shooting

In combat the handgunners do well, killing two and only loosing one despite lack of Pha's protection. We draw combat and I reform to increase attacks. The Captain and IC Knights finish off his Sorcerer and reform to face new targets (fortunately the IC Knights aren't in the Chariots front arc).

The combat with the Chimera is less encouraging, he kills all four remaining Archers and negates my flank bonus. Then the Knights suffer from severe rubber lance syndrome and fluff at 4 attacks (horse wounds but regen saved!). I loose combat and run but he doesn't catch me or collide with my Greatswords. Finally we moved to the Steam Tank and I rolled 11 impacts hits, wounding with 5... all of which he saved on a 4+  :eusa_wall: He failed to wound in return but that was hardly a good result.

So I have him on the back foot now but he still has several units that are tough to deal with.

Turn 4: Chaos Motley Crew

He charges a Chimera in to support his Daemon Prince. The remaining Chariot attempts a long charge on the Steam Tank but rolls very short and meanwhile the second Chimera moves up to redirect my Greatswords.

Magic is entertaining, for the hell of it he rolls five dice on the Nurgle signature spell (Steam of Corruption?)... 4 six's and a five! Won't be dispelling that then! The spell fails to affect the Steam Tank and fortunately for him the miscast is uneventful.

In combat my Handgunners finish off the Chaos Hounds (good work for rubbish gunners!). They reform to create space for the IC Knights. The Chimera and Daemon Prince combine to knock a hefty 5 wounds off my Steam Tank (rolls on armour save), but at least it's unbreakable and should hold them for a bit longer.

Turn 4: Stirland

My IC Knights could just see his remaining Chariot so charged into his flank. The Greatswords charge the pesky Chimera, time to see how tough they really are. I thought about charging the Pegi Captain in to support the Steam Tank, but figured he'd be easy prey for a tooled up Daemon Prince (I also thought the Tank should survive another round with a bit more luck on armour saves). Minor boiler leak didn't exactly help... no steam points to grind with.

I rolled pretty low for magic, but still managed to get Hammer of Sigmar through on the Greatswords (forgot about Soulfire negating Regen).

In combat the IC Knights dealt nicely with the Chaos Chariot without loss (didn't even need the horses!). The Greatswords lost three guys but easily finished off the Chimera. My ill luck with Steam Tank saving throws continued and he destroyed it with ease (I failed a total of 10 out 11 4+ armour saves  :icon_rolleyes:)

Turn 5: Chaos Motley Crew

He's running out of guys, the Chimera charges my Knights and the Daemon Prince charges the Greatswords (he he... not sure you wanted to do that!)

I dispel his only cast, so straight onto combat. The Chimera kills two Knights but they hold with aid of the BSB re-roll and general's leadership. Onto the big guy and I declare my challenge  :icon_twisted: We swap stats and I roll five attacks, but at ws4 vs 9 plus the Nurgle -1 to hit, I need 6's. Even with my Hatred re-roll I fail to hit... bugger. Worse still he sneaks a wound in reply... double bugger. Fortunately my two ranks and standards win combat, although he's unbreakable.

Turn 5: Stirland's Finest

I declare multiple charges on the Chimera and he ends up surrounded by Knights and the Pegi Captain. The Wizard and his escort move up as far as possible.

Magic is helpful, he throws most of his dice at dispelling Timewarp on the IC Knights but still fails and leaving me relatively free to cast Hammer of Sigmar and Soulfire. So I gain the all important Flaming attacks and the direct damage does a wound... bonus!

Combat goes well, lack of regen save makes it easy to finish him off, everything reforms to face the lone Chaos Daemon The Arch Lector / Daemon challenge is a stand off, but at least he doesn't wound me and I know have a plan!  :icon_wink:

Turn 6: Chaos Motley Crew

As you can imagine, this didn't take very long!

His last vague chance pull back some points was magic. He cast the signature spell on the Greatswords, no irresistable and I fail to dispel (completely forgot the Dispel scroll!). 18 of the Emperors finest warriors were engulf by his foul spray and 8 fell (could have been worse). I made the panic test and we moved onto combat... stalemate.

Turn 6: Stirland's Finest

Time to see if I can bring down the devil!!!

We decide you couldn't charge into a combat that only involved a challenge, so everything wheel to face him. More importantly the Wizard move up to within 12" of the Greatswords.

I rolled really well on the winds of magic.. 5+3 plus 2 channels. First I sneaked Timewarp through with three dice and Hammer of Sigmar on two. Leaving me 5 dice for much need Speed of Light which he failed to dispel.

Now my Arch Lector, with combination of Van Horstmans, Biting Blade, Speed of Light, Birona's Timewarp and Hammer of Sigmar has 6 ASF attacks @ ws10, str 5 armour piercing with re-roll's to hit (because I'm now Int 10) and wound!  :eusa_clap:

He looses 3 wounds...

Technically that's the end of the game and I have victory, but we played Chaos Turn 7 and the Daemon Prince died!  ::heretic::

Good solid victory to Stirland and I have retribution!

Nick
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 09:11:43 PM by Nikali »

Offline Nikali

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 09:16:54 PM »
Have to say, I'm pretty pleased with that one!

The luck was mostly mine, especially the 1st chaos magic phase and my last two. But I also had some ad luck aswell (terrible panic and rally tests, steam tank saving throws etc). Everything played it's part, but stand out units would probably be IC Knights / Luthor and the Wizard support.

Good fun game to play aswell, moved along quickly with plenty of entertainment.

Proud to say I killed the Daemon Prince, even if it was in extra time. Not sure I'll get away with Van Horstmann's again though!

Hope you enjoyed

Nick

Offline Lord Solar Plexus

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 08:38:06 AM »
Enjoyed it very much, thanks Nikali! When I saw the Flying circus bearing down on you and the DGK fleeing, I thought you were done for but nice comeback from that. Of course your opponent made a couple of mistakes: As you pointed out, he should have triple-flamed the Greatswords and not worried so much about the Hellblaster. He should have rolled with the blows since it can only ever target one of the three monsters. That doesn't take away from your win though.

Bad luck with the Stank, it could have done a lot better.

Van Horstman's is a bit tricky. He's WoC, so he cannot refuse a challenge - apart from that, a character that cannot hide couldn't refuse anyways. However, a DP still gets thunderstomp I believe, which makes the Speculum a bit less useful.

When you killed the left dogs on t1, did the other unit take a break test on its low Ld? Could you not overrun into their flank and make the flee through the central ones?
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. - S. Clemens

www.tablepott.de - Wir sind das Ruhrgebiet!
www.rheinerftliga.haarrrgh.de

Offline Analog Control

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 05:58:08 PM »
The running Archers fail to rally and run a bit further (after the initial break, do they run to my table edge or in a straight line?).

Fleeing troops who fail their rally test run away from the closest enemy unit.

The Daemon Prince and Chimera 2 combined kill 2 Hellblaster crew and knock a wound off the Steam tank. The other Chimera hits Several Archers and most of my Knights but fortunately only an Archer dies. Could have been worse but predictably the Hellblaster panics and runs off!

When war machine crews fail a panic test they do not run.  They just cannot shoot in the next round.

I can't quite decide what to do with the Tank. I suppose cannon ball is more likely to kill outright, but I'm only 5" away so I use one dice to pivot / aim, I might hit him by accident anyway. I decide near guaranteed D6+3D3 impact hits, plus tying up a nasty combat unit is a better prospect (Stank experts... what would you do?). So with a bit of reservation I slam into the Daemon Prince.

You made the right choice.  The cannon may misfire, you may fail to wound, he could make his ward save, or you could roll low wounds.  That's a lot of variables.  Better to slam your hardest unit into his face.  If you don't just outright kill it with impact hits at least you tarpit the DP.  Buffed with Pha's Protection or Speed of Light it can hold down a DP for awhile.  Angling the Greatswords for a flank charge at the DP or a rear at the Chimera would have been good foresight, but with the second Chimera to redirect you it probably wouldn't have made a difference.

We decide you couldn't charge into a combat that only involved a challenge, so everything wheel to face him.

In a situation like this you can still charge for the CR, but none of your models, save the AL, can attack.

Good batrep and congrats on the win!

Offline Nikali

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 06:59:55 PM »
Thanks for the replies, glad you enjoyed it!

LSP - I have a feeling he didn't know he had thunderstomp, he's never used it in this game or others! I suppose I should point it out  :icon_rolleyes:

Not sure if we remembered that particular panic test? but I do remember him passing a lot of lower LD tests anyway! I see your point about the over-run, I guess they weren't quite as close together because I wouldn't have missed that one.

Thanks for answers Analog, lots of useful info!

Nick

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 09:10:53 AM »
The running Archers fail to rally and run a bit further (after the initial break, do they run to my table edge or in a straight line?).

Fleeing troops who fail their rally test run away from the closest enemy unit.

Not directly the answer to his question though..
Move Fleeing units: BRB-25: 2D6 in the direction they flee after their initial break.
Fleeing when breaking face away from a single combat (180 degrees turn)
Fleeing when breaking from multiple combat face away from the most numerous enemy.  (most ranks of 5 or more models(or probable 3 if it concerns Monstrous Inf/Cav))
That should cover it completely  :happy:

The Daemon Prince and Chimera 2 combined kill 2 Hellblaster crew and knock a wound off the Steam tank. The other Chimera hits Several Archers and most of my Knights but fortunately only an Archer dies. Could have been worse but predictably the Hellblaster panics and runs off!

When war machine crews fail a panic test they do not run.  They just cannot shoot in the next round.

Correct, Panic failed = hide and no shooting / Break failed = destroyed

I can't quite decide what to do with the Tank. I suppose cannon ball is more likely to kill outright, but I'm only 5" away so I use one dice to pivot / aim, I might hit him by accident anyway. I decide near guaranteed D6+3D3 impact hits, plus tying up a nasty combat unit is a better prospect (Stank experts... what would you do?). So with a bit of reservation I slam into the Daemon Prince.

You made the right choice.  The cannon may misfire, you may fail to wound, he could make his ward save, or you could roll low wounds.  That's a lot of variables.  Better to slam your hardest unit into his face.  If you don't just outright kill it with impact hits at least you tarpit the DP.  Buffed with Pha's Protection or Speed of Light it can hold down a DP for awhile.  Angling the Greatswords for a flank charge at the DP or a rear at the Chimera would have been good foresight, but with the second Chimera to redirect you it probably wouldn't have made a difference.

Agreed.

We decide you couldn't charge into a combat that only involved a challenge, so everything wheel to face him.

In a situation like this you can still charge for the CR, but none of your models, save the AL, can attack.

Good batrep and congrats on the win!

I guess this indeed, as there is no reference that I could find why no too..

Nice bat rep indeed!
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989