home

Author Topic: Tilea's Troubles, IC2401  (Read 152222 times)

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Much Less Dense Than Other Lawyers!
Re: Tilea's Troubles, IC2401
« Reply #650 on: August 23, 2021, 10:29:03 PM »
Great video as usual! Wasn't expecting it to turn that way. :::cheers:::
Quote from: Johan Willhelm
Quote from: Dendo Star
Muppets do not have Hatred!
I bet "Animal" has Frenzy . . .

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #651 on: August 23, 2021, 10:33:17 PM »
Neither were either of the players. We just happened to record in detail one of those crazy dice-roll situations.

General D'Alessio should have died so many times!!!!!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #652 on: September 01, 2021, 10:14:45 PM »
Another good episode.  :::cheers:::  I always look forward to these! :biggriin:

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #653 on: September 01, 2021, 10:20:58 PM »
Thanks Perambulator. By coincidence ...

Tilea's Troubles, Part 22 is 'up'. The Viadazan Terror! After the crusaders' great victory, Biagino learns some very bad news!

See https://youtu.be/YiOR-gGsbfo

Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #654 on: September 02, 2021, 10:11:34 PM »
I was referring to Episode 22!  O0

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #655 on: September 12, 2021, 06:26:28 PM »
Cool! You must have watched i almost as soon as it went up! That threw me!

Here is part 23 of Tilea's Troubles, this time it IS a prologue to a battle report and not an epilogue confused (by me) for a prologue like the last one. I promise to be more careful in future - I think late-night hobbying was to blame!

https://youtu.be/izxQbI3KkJo

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #656 on: September 12, 2021, 09:49:19 PM »
Not late night hobbying, oh my! :icon_eek: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_wink: :icon_lol:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #657 on: September 13, 2021, 08:43:07 PM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #658 on: September 22, 2021, 08:23:07 PM »
Preview pics from the next video - a battle report ...

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #659 on: September 24, 2021, 06:20:55 PM »
Here is video Part 24 of Tilea's Troubles ...

https://youtu.be/JC66icAsWss

The Pavonans...

Take on the Compagnia del Sole...

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #660 on: October 06, 2021, 09:23:32 PM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

What happened here? I love your commentary and the color you added with it. Was this planned? It's great story telling but what happened in the game?

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #661 on: October 06, 2021, 10:06:15 PM »
Thanks Perambulator.

The campaign leads to all sorts of play. Battles are part of a bigger story, and taking big risks has consequences that last years, not just for that one game. The Compagnia were an NPC force in the employ of an NPC ruler (Prince Girenzo of Trantio). As the campaign GM running the force on the day against a player I was trying to win, at first. But, when I realised that the horse seemed unlikely to get back in time to assist, I knew that I would be risking the company’s annihilation. I decided to roll for just how ‘foolhardy/confident/brave’ the company's condottiere general was feeling, slanting the scores towards caution due to the fact that according to their background the company had been around a LONG time and so it was unlikely that the commander(s) took big risks often. He rolled very low, so 'very cautious'. I decided therefore that the company would attempt to retreat off its own table edge, and head back to join with the rest of Girenzo’s forces. To achieve this I employed the campaign house rules already in existence to do so. Players have done this several times to cut their losses and live to fight another day.

For the retreat to be allowed, a substantially-sized unit has to fight with the enemy for long enough to count as holding them back. If that occurs, they can retreat off the table edge and roll on a chart somewhat better than that for a defeat. Once that was done, when I wrote the story, all I had to do was make the general character’s thinking fit the orders he must have given, and that meant his personality/character had to suit that sort of thinking.

It is almost as if these stories write themselves, and I operate more like a historian than a fiction author! Also, once these sort of precedents are set, I subsequently know how to describe that character, and what sort of options to put in their ‘decision’ tables, and, importantly, how to weight the die-roll ranges to suit that sort of person. I can't ‘play’ the character in the way the players control their own PCs, as I am a GM and these are NPCs. But I also feel, because it is a wargame campaign, that I can't just make the NPCs' decisions for them, like some sort of god commanding everyone in the world apart from the PCs, and that's why I nearly always roll between appropriate options on a chart made with their nature in mind!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 11:23:08 PM by Padre »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #662 on: October 06, 2021, 11:57:56 PM »
More awesomeness, such a great effort being made with is.  It is truelly epic. :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #663 on: October 07, 2021, 11:13:12 PM »
Part 25 of Tilea's Troubles is up! 

https://youtu.be/RkRFgpwyVl4

« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 11:21:28 PM by Padre »

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #664 on: October 07, 2021, 11:15:29 PM »
That's a great explanation, thanks. I have to say I'm very very impressed by what you're pulling out here. This is great stuff. (watching 25 now)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #665 on: October 24, 2021, 07:48:37 AM »
Discord, Dangers and Disinclination

An Excerpt from Bonacorso Fidelibus’s Work: The Many Wars of the Early 25th Century

The First Months of Summer, 2404

In the far south there was much relief in Alcente when the Sartosan Corsairs’ army moved away from the city, without commencing a siege. Perhaps the mauling they had received at Sersale, or more likely, the haul of loot they had already taken, had convinced them to depart.

When it became clear, however, that they were not making their way to their ships in the Black Gulf, but instead had begun marching east along the ancient road towards Pavezzano, the citizens’ relief was coloured by concern. Soon, those who liked to boast of their wisdom in the ways of the world, were claiming that they had always known this would happen, for pirates never attack strong foes, like a dragon might challenge another of its kind, but instead seek out the weak, like wolves pick out the feeblest amongst their prey.

Pavezzano would prove a much easier prey to capture and consume than the stone walled city of Alcente.

Despite being hindsight, there was undoubtedly truth to this professed wisdom. The Sartosans had struck first at the relatively small city state of Luccini, while the prince and his army were absent. Then, upon learning that the army of the VMC had marched far north to assist in the war against the vampire duchess, they attacked the realm of Alcente (although the westerly winds of the recent spring storms had likely played a part in restricting their options, by making an easy return home to Sartosa unlikely). They had not attacked the much richer realm of Portomaggiore, for although Lord Alessio was also fighting in the far north, he had left a substantial force, in size an army, to protect his realm. Nor had the Sartosans sailed to Remas, similarly protected despite its own continued involvement in the war to the north.

The Sartosans now discovered that despite their destruction of several companies of Alcentian militia, the stalling at Sersale had allowed time enough for more professional soldiers, including a renowned regiment of mercenary pikemen from the northern parts of the Old World, to be landed at the city of Alcente. If there was one thing the VMC could get plenty of, it was gold. Their investors’ contributions would only dry up if the prospect for future profit began to look less likely.

The VMC’s ships were still able to serve the port, for although the Sartosan fleet was massed out in the gulf, only skeleton crews remained aboard - sufficient, it was thought, to defend themselves (or at the least, sail away from any threat) but entirely lacking in the fighting strength required to actively blockade the city from the sea.  Furthermore, Captain General Valckenburgh was widely reported to be returning from his northern enterprise, with a significant portion of his army, to relieve the city.

With all this in mind, no doubt, the Sartosan Corsairs had decided now was the time to leave the city’s environs. And if they were to return to their ships, then why not do so from the port of Pavezzano? For it was a place their fleet could easily sail to and which they could loot at their leisure en route to the wharves! 

At Pavona, only a few days after the young Lord Silvano’s departure to assist Campogrotta in the war against the ratto uomo, grave news came to the city of a most inauspicious event. Duke Guiodobaldo had been attacked during one of his hunts in the hills to the north of Montorio. The Verezzan brigand, Pettirosso, had attempted to assassinate him with a poison tipped arrow, seeking vengeance for the death of Lord Lucca.

Of course, such a slippery fellow had subsequently escaped, along with his band of robbers, into the wooded hills, while those with the duke had, at least in the first instance, been distracted by the need to get their master back to the city. Only once that was done did they pursue revenge, sending search parties out to scour the southern stretches of the Trantine Hills.

It was feared the duke had been mortally wounded, for his physicians reported that the arrowhead had pierced deep and the poison had entered his blood to bring about a deathly fever, the gangrene setting in at thrice the normal speed.

Within a day, however, his two most able physicians, from the best universities in Estalia, a realm renowned for its medicinal knowledge …

… announced that his humours had been re-balanced and the poison countered with a potent combination of healing magics and efficacious medicaments, thus thwarting the duke’s death. This cause great relief in the city, and even celebrations, encouraged by the duke’s officers and courtiers, who paid for wine to flow from the city’s fountains and conduits!

Yet the duke remained bed-ridden …

… and it was whispered that he was so weak as to be unable even to feed himself. It was clear he could not continue his daily duties as ruler. His most trusted advisors and privy councillors, knowing this to be a dangerous time for the recently ravaged city state, what with the ongoing discord with Verezzo, the new dangers of the ratto uomo and pirates, and the disinclination of the banking families of Tilea to loan the duke any more monies, agreed with their lord and master that his son, Silvano, must immediately be recalled to the city to serve as regent during the period of his father’s ill health.

Lord Silvano was to have full and unbridled authority, so that his father need not be troubled by any affairs of state, neither great nor petty. Indeed, the young lord would effectively be serving an apprenticeship for that he would attain upon his inheritance. Silvano thus abandoned his noble quest and returned with great alacrity.

There to be welcomed home by the city’s populace much more keenly than they had so recently bid him farewell, for he was generally considered a hero, having always strived his utmost to fight evil, at no small risk to himself, whether near or far from home, and was known to love both his father and the people of Pavona dearly.

Indeed, his new rule, in practice total (at least until his father recovered) was welcomed by many a ruler in Tilea, including not least the Arch-Lector of the Holy Morrite Church, Bernadino Ugolini, who knew Lord Silvano well, having served with him in the vampire wars and even once cleared the young nobleman in court of all wrongdoing (during the Pavonan brigade’s mutiny at Viadaza). Most were agreed that Silvano’s regency bode well for Pavona and its neighbours, although many were too cautious to admit this was because it meant Duke Guidobaldo’s tyranny had, at least for now and perhaps forever, ended.

The young lord’s regency was considered a chance for a renaissance for Pavona, an opportunity to begin again afresh: to thrive in trade, to build new alliances and new bonds and to forge a bright future under the enlightened rule of a valiant, principled, and compassionate ruler. 

It remained to be seen whether Barone Iacopo, regent of Verezzo, would remain implacable in his distrust of Pavona. He himself had served alongside Lord Silvano in the war against the vampires, and so knew full well how different the young man was compared to his father. Yet such was the wickedness of Duke Guidobaldo’s past actions, that the halfling lord, who loved his old master well and yearned deeply for revenge, might find himself unable to forgive Pavona. If he were to continue his hatred, perhaps it would manifest in something as small as choosing not to punish the brigand Pettirosso for his actions? Or perhaps it would manifest in continuing to prepare for war against Pavona?

Another even more powerful captain, General Valckenburgh of the VMC …

… also had unfinished business with Duke Guidobaldo, concerning a most vile defamation. But the VMC’s considerable forces were engaged in wars both to the far north and the far south, providing entirely sufficient distraction to tie them up for some time. Besides, the general had himself yielded to young Lord Silvano’s persuasive requests to leave off the siege of Pavona, finding his petitioner to be an honourable enough fellow. All this considered, it could well be that like several other rulers, General Vlackenburgh was amenable to the notion of turning over a new leaf in his affairs with Pavona.

In the north-west, Lord Alessio Falconi’s mighty alliance army was floundering at the edge of the corrupted marshes that had overspilled to claim the environs of the city of Miragliano. On one night, early on in the attempted blockade, a vampiric fiend crept from the city under cover of darkness intent on assassinating the captain general himself. It seems that the unholy priest Biagino hoped to emulate the success his now truly-dead mistress had had when she sent Lord Adolfo into the camp of the Disciplinati di Morr, so killing both their Praepositus Generalis, Father Carradalio, and his second in command, the Admonitor Vincenzo, subsequently having such a deleterious effect on the Disciplinati that they were utterly, even easily, wiped out in the field of battle. 

Luckily, Lord Alessio’s personal bodyguard regiment, his brave Sea Wolves, discovered the monstrous assassin before it reached Lord Alessio, and (at the cost of several many of their own lives) they cut the monster down. Afterwards, Lord Alessio ordered its foul head cut off and placed atop a pike within sight of the city walls.

It was doubtful such a sight would in any way stir fear in the foe, but it was at the least an advertisement of the alliance army’s defiance. Several soldiers began taking it in turns to guard the grisly trophy, whilst at the same time adding to the line of observation posts strung about the large army as it prepared for battle.

Then, as well as knighting one of the wolves who fought the most bravely, Lord Alessio posthumously honoured those who had died by ordering their names recorded upon the city realm’s roll of honour, which kept the memory of all the heroes who had served the state with distinction.

It was one thing, however, for soldiers to defeat an assassin, another thing entirely to defeat sickness. The army camp’s proximity to a corrupted marsh harbouring a festering mass of undead had concerned Lord Alessio …

… which was why he had initially attempted to cleanse a route through it in order to attack the city promptly. This proved impossible, due to the dangerously slippery nature of both the foe and the land which harboured them, and so the captain general ordered a redoubling of the efforts to make rafts, battering rams and towers with which to assault the city walls. Then, at the first (inevitable) signs of camp fever and the flux, the general ordered the army moved to the nearest, properly dry land and instructed his soldiers and those of the Reman and VMC forces also under his command to drink only the water brought from the river near the Soncino watchtower by a dedicated contingent of horse and foot soldiers.

Meanwhile, his newly appointed siege master, Captain Guccio, oversaw the construction of several large rafts, including some to carry siege towers and one to carry a battering ram.

These were to be propelled through the deeper waters of the marsh now surrounding the city by way of setting poles. Guccio, being a man of great practicality, had ordered the soldiers to practise along a deeply flooded stretch at the eastern edge of the marsh.

Where the waters were not so deep, the soldiers would have to dismount the rafts and carry them to the next flooded area. That task did not really require practise, just strength, and the army’s Captain General, Lord Alessio, had commanded that the soldiers should not be put to unnecessary exercises before the fight ahead, as he did not want them weakened, injured or made ill by wading the foul waters. The sickness threatening his camp was bad enough, he declared, without risking further losses from the rank and file. Punting, however, he permitted, for the soldiers need not go into the water, nor was it the most taxing of activities.

It did, however, require learned skill, and practiced coordination between the men involved. If necessary, closest to the city walls, where the moat added considerably to the water’s depth, oars would have to be employed, but Guccio hoped that would just be a short distance. There would be a lot more punting to do, and plenty of opportunities for insufficiently skilled men to fail. 

So it was that the alliance army, so close to the foul enemy and about to embark upon their most difficult assault yet, witnessed the incongruous sight of rafts coursing back and forth along the waters, not entirely unlike gentle-folk at play in gondolas on a moat within a grand city park.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 08:13:46 AM by Padre »

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #666 on: October 24, 2021, 07:49:22 AM »
In the north-east, the vile ratto uomo had pushed further southwards, presumably employing the ancient tunnels known as underpasses, which had long been generally thought to have collapsed. Emerging south of Campogrotta, upon the far side of the River Tarano, they had sent a terrible engine towards the city with sufficient guards to ensure it would get close.

Luckily for the city, although not at all for those who went out to thwart the engine’s advance, it failed to lob its grenado over the walls, but instead blew itself up, instantly killing almost everyone, friend or foe, within two thousand braccia!

A good number of the Compagnia del Sole and the Karak Borgo dwarfs survived, for several companies had remained within the city during the attack, and more had the night before marched north to Buldio in response to reports of multiple instances of arson, believed to be the ratto uomo’s main attack, later presumed to have been a deliberate distraction.

A regiment of King Jaldeog’s dwarfs had been among the casualties, which left Lord Narhak with a much-reduced garrison in the city. The Compagnia suffered even more significant losses - several bodies of foot soldiers and companies of light horse, which for a mercenary company was no small matter. One of its captains, the respected Venusto Masin, perished in the blast, but the company’s marshal, Captain Luigi Esposito, strode away as if untouched by the effects of the poison, supporting the only two survivors of the regiment he had led onto the field of battle. Or at least, he was untouched bodily, for the state of his mind was another matter entirely, and compared to his past self, he was ever after like another man entirely.

The wizard Perrette, despite having approached the engine to cast her fire magic against it, also escaped, along with her Brabanzon riders, for they departed the engine’s vicinity just in time. In hindsight, no-one questioned the Brabanzon’s actions, for whether they were fleeing in panic or retreating in good order and with good reason, they had avoided almost certain death. To suggest they had done wrong was thus a moot point. 

Perette had been wounded during the skirmish, and subsequently kept her own counsel concerning her plans. Only she and her riders knew why they rode from the city so hastily, heading north.

It was suggested she might intend to return to Ravola now that the ratto uomo’s main strength was removed from thence, or that she would cross the Nuvolonc back to Bretonnia, or that she looked to hide in the forests and wilderness again, with or without the Arrabiatti’s aid, there to nurse her wounds as she had done after Ravola. The most hopeful citizens wondered if she had gone to fetch the Arrabiatti to aid in Campogrotta’s defence, while the more pragmatic knew she had no real reason to do so.

She left behind confusion within the city. A huge area of dead and deadly ground now lay to its immediate south, and it was very likely that a ratto uomo army was close by somewhere.

Those who knew something concerning past wars assumed, with good reason, that the ratmen had exited through one of their legendary tunnels hidden somewhere in the rocky, forested hills to the south.

If the enemy were there, then they would have to find a way around the poisoned land and cross the river elsewhere, with no bridge to carry them over - which was possibly why they had yet to appear at the city. Nothing lived in the newly corrupted land; nor, if it entered, could live, and even the river waters were poisoned as they passed through, so that the trees closest to the river began to wither all the way to its junction to the River Bellagio. It was most fortunate that no large settlement lay any further down river, for such a place would surely have suffered from the corruption in the waters, but the elves of Tettoverde must surely (and quickly) have noticed the poisoning of the northernmost reaches of their ancient, sylvan realm.

The Compagnia del Sole’s condottiere general, Bruno Mazallini, was less than happy to be the governor of a realm now half-poisoned, with sickness spreading through the city, and panic all around. The dwarven thane, Lord Narhak …

… recorded in his personal book of grudges that the general and the remaining portion of the Compagnia del Sole intended to quit the realm and flee southwest, leaving it to the rat-men, with the general declaring in council that an army can never win when it goes into battle against a plague!

Lord Narhak, keenly aware of the danger of remaining in the city when all others were likely to leave or had already left, and that his loyal, dwarven warriors were just as susceptible to the rat-men’s foul poisons as any soldier, marched his small force to the watchtower of Lugo on the Carraia del Ferro.

There he halted and garrisoned the place, apparently intending thus to guard the gateway to the road to Karak Borgo, and at a suitable distance from the miasmic horror to the city’s south.

There was little in the way of defences, for the tower was more a toll house than a stronghold, so he ordered his soldiers to make what defences they could, and quickly. What few engines the possessed were placed to face towards Campogrotta, for Lord Narhak reckoned any ratto uomo advance must surely come from that direction.

He either knew or presumed that the rat-men’s tunnels could not possibly reach his mountain home, for the mining skill of dwarves was renowned and so any such passageways must surely have been discovered and collapsed or otherwise rendered impassable. The Iron Road was the only way to Karak Borgo. So, while his messenger made his way to King Jaldeog, and any reinforcements made their way down the Iron Road to him, he and his rump of a force would have to stand their ground as best they could.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #667 on: October 30, 2021, 05:11:38 PM »
Back to much earlier in the campaign ...

Part 26 of Tilea’s Troubles (short, but not particularly sweet) is up. Please see:

https://youtu.be/vkytc-HXkNA

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #668 on: October 31, 2021, 12:17:04 AM »
 :::cheers::: :happy: You have a very soothing voice. Nice job as always.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #669 on: November 18, 2021, 07:59:07 PM »
Thanks. My voice is my job in many ways. And it has sneaked into my hobby too!

Tilea's Troubles, Part 27 is done! A 3000 pt 8th ed battle report with a Marienburg Mercenary army (fan list) taking on the Mighty Khurnag's Waagh! It uses original in-game pictures as well as re-posed ones. See ...

https://youtu.be/9pe5oj79bQM

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #670 on: November 19, 2021, 04:34:00 PM »
Wow very unlucky rolling for the Greenskins right from the start! This was probably the most one-sided game you've reported on and it didn't seem like would be in the setup.  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #671 on: December 10, 2021, 03:01:05 PM »
Another good episode! Your story crafting is superb. Well done as usual! :eusa_clap: :::cheers::: 

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #672 on: December 10, 2021, 04:40:39 PM »
Thanks Perambulator. You must have subscribed as I had yet to put a link here.

Well ... now I have!

Video Part 28 is done. See https://youtu.be/BmRf0WpOSv8

We were supposed to have a BIG battle with myself and four players last Saturday, but illness (and nervousness re: the Pandemic) got in the way. I am getting desperate to play properly again. I might suggest another play by mail to my players over the xmas holidays, but I am not too sure they are keen. They too want a 'real world' get together and battle!

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #673 on: December 10, 2021, 04:52:24 PM »
I am, indeed!  :::cheers:::

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #674 on: December 16, 2021, 02:48:25 PM »
Next video should be up sooner that normal. Here's a 'teaser' picture ...